Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Re: Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real 

Post#1601 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:51 pm

Pretty wild to be a heavily reported dead man coaching on one the most viewed football games of the entire year. They should've put Nagy out of his misery weeks ago, but this is the Bears we're talking about.

Now the question is when do they fire Pace. Can't let that ding dong be the person who picks the next coach.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,201

Post#1602 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Kurt Heimlich wrote:Pretty wild to be a heavily reported dead man coaching on one the most viewed football games of the entire year. They should've put Nagy out of his misery weeks ago, but this is the Bears we're talking about.

Now the question is when do they fire Pace. Can't let that ding dong be the person who picks the next coach.

If a true report, they have been clearly caught flatfooted at the leak. No team statement, but a Nagy denial only causes a lot of awkward moments including the game. Every national media outlet has days to gossip.

A big problem now is that the next coach is watching the dysfunction. A legit Pace replacement is a also watching and could be shdh
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,058

Post#1603 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Of course Nagy has claimed that the report of him being fired after Thursday's game is "not accurate".
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1604 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:06 pm

JockItch43 wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

We have a friend who knows his family very well. Last night they told us Fields has two broken ribs.

That sucks. At least he got some good game action. He can now take a step back and do some learning from the sidelines. Get this kid some weapons because he will be back and he will be ready.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1605 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:24 pm

Interesting the Bears won’t tell the truth on the ribs
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1606 » by Susan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:28 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:If Fields got really hurt, I place it at the feet of the completely incompetent coach, GM, and offensive line, all of whom have no idea what they’re doing.

I know it’s very unorthodox, but if I’m Fields I’m not sure why I’d want to play for this franchise. He should try and get out however he can.

He was fighting for extra yards on a scramble and got contorted an awkward way. Just a normal football play.

He should have thrown it to Montgomery if I remember the play correctly - he's been pretty good about it overall but there's been a few instances where he's taken awkward or unnecessary hits.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1607 » by fleet » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Of course Nagy has claimed that the report of him being fired after Thursday's game is "not accurate".

Susan
RealGM

Post#1608 » by Susan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:00 pm

fleet wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Pretty wild to be a heavily reported dead man coaching on one the most viewed football games of the entire year. They should've put Nagy out of his misery weeks ago, but this is the Bears we're talking about.

If a true report, they have been clearly caught flatfooted at the leak. No team statement, but a Nagy denial only causes a lot of awkward moments including the game. Every national media outlet has days to gossip.

A big problem now is that the next coach is watching the dysfunction. A legit Pace replacement is a also watching and could be shdh

The dysfunction comes from George/Ted. This stuff is PR, not football operations and I have way way way more confidence in Pace hiring a head coach and filling out the roster than I do having those two hiring a new VP of Football Ops.

Phil Emery/Trestman were much worse of a combo than this pairing. George and Ted brought them in and as bad as things are right now, they're nowhere near the embarrassment that Emery/Trestman were.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#1609 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:06 pm

Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:

The dysfunction comes from George/Ted. This stuff is PR, not football operations and I have way way way more confidence in Pace hiring a head coach and filling out the roster than I do having those two hiring a new VP of Football Ops.

Phil Emery/Trestman were much worse of a combo than this pairing. George and Ted brought them in and as bad as things are right now, they're nowhere near the embarrassment that Emery/Trestman were.

I hate Pace and especially Nagy, I mean really hate Nagy, but if you gave me the choice of him or Trestman I chose Nagy 10 out of 10.
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#1610 » by micromonkey » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 pm

I'll probably still watch as I hope the Bears still win. This game should not matter for Nagy's firing IMO--if so the organizational rot is far deeper than can ever be fixed. I know its bad but even they have to have some limits.

I think Dalton should be able to win it--I still like the guy even if I'm a Justin fields fan and ultimately want him to be "the guy". Dalton (heck include Foles) truly seems like a great guy and teammate. Let Andy get some garbage stats and get a nice backup deal on a contender somewhere next year. Seriously, I wish him nothing but the best--Nagy will be gone no matter what--so playing losing ball does no one any good. I want to see the Lions coach cry some more--it will make the orange-cranberry sauce taste that much better. Look it up--tears of Lion adds a nice flavor pop to any thanksgiving.

I'm torn on who I want coach wise. My gut tells me Harbaugh or bust--I don't want to experiment or guess. Bring the culture and get your assistants--but I'm opening to other options. GM I'm more open to options as its possible the best candidates are people you rarely hear about but I fear Pace will weasel his way into staying. Pace isn't as bad as Nagy but that isn't saying much. Pace is probably bottom 1/3 GM? Nagy is lower 1/5th coach.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1611 » by Susan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:If a true report, they have been clearly caught flatfooted at the leak. No team statement, but a Nagy denial only causes a lot of awkward moments including the game. Every national media outlet has days to gossip.

I hate Pace and especially Nagy, I mean really hate Nagy, but if you gave me the choice of him or Trestman I chose Nagy 10 out of 10.

Our only ticket out is on the shoulders of Justin Fields.

If you don't think a new regime could bungle that - remember how we got Cutler. Denver fired Shanny, hired McDaniels who wanted Cutler out ASAP because he wanted freakin Matt Cassell.

This season is the result of a failed all in move in 2018-20. There was only a window open this year if Mitch had panned out or maybe if they got Wilson/Watson. There's a clear open window due to Justin - a whole new regime on all fronts would cut the ties to Justin so that would scare the absolute **** out of me. Either fire these guys last year or you really gotta hold onto one of them (Pace) because what GM wants to build around somebody else's QB? There's big ass egos on these coaches and GMs - to me the clear move is to get an elite, established head coach in here who knows how to win. No QB whisperers, no wild card coordinators - just a dude who knows how to win in this league.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1612 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm

I just hope the leaked report of Nagy's last game doesn't end up prolonging his stay.
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#1613 » by jmajew » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Susan wrote:

If you don't think a new regime could bungle that - remember how we got Cutler. Denver fired Shanny, hired McDaniels who wanted Cutler out ASAP because he wanted freakin Matt Cassell.

This season is the result of a failed all in move in 2018-20. There was only a window open this year if Mitch had panned out or maybe if they got Wilson/Watson. There's a clear open window due to Justin - a whole new regime on all fronts would cut the ties to Justin so that would scare the absolute **** out of me. Either fire these guys last year or you really gotta hold onto one of them (Pace) because what GM wants to build around somebody else's QB? There's big ass egos on these coaches and GMs - to me the clear move is to get an elite, established head coach in here who knows how to win. No QB whisperers, no wild card coordinators - just a dude who knows how to win in this league.

Who? I can't think of any established coach that will come here.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1614 » by Susan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 pm

jmajew wrote:
Susan wrote:

Jim Harbaugh or Sean Peyton - we'd have to trade for Peyton but who knows what they're doing down there. Harbaugh saw Fields up close and personal and he ripped his heart out and stomped on it in 2019.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#1615 » by Dresden » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:57 am

jmajew wrote:
Susan wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. There are only 30 head coaching jobs in the NFL and hundreds of guys who would love a shot at one of them, no matter which one it is. And despite it all, the Bears are sill one of the marquee franchises in the nfl.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#1616 » by Jcool0 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:06 am

Read on Twitter
Susan
RealGM

Post#1617 » by Susan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:23 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean honestly, I'm not a Nagy fan but the whole thing is absurd.

-Bears PR didn't do their job.
-The whole HS Football game thing was pretty crappy, keep his kids out of it
-He really handled the press conference well

He's been a disappointment as a HC, not the offensive genius he touted himself as and really coached poorly on Sunday but the way leadership has handled this entire situation is dreadful. Handle things with class, let this turd of a season go down the toilet at it's own pace, no need to jump in the bowl with it and get yourself messy in the process.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1618 » by Susan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=ZZwww3dQG9vDjBQBDEDzsA
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1619 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 pm

Um wow
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1620 » by fleet » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:

I don’t know who is handling the current mess, but hiring and firing coaches is definitely a football operation. FWIW, something like a W/L record of 45 and 61 with no playoffs wins in 7 years is definitely a football operation issue, to which filling out the roster is related. Where we should find the confidence in Pace to handle his 3rd coach hire, especially after his last hire kind of blew up a quarterback that required a massive investment in draft picks, and mishandled the current one is unknown.

Return to Chicago Bulls