Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Re: OT: TV and Movies 

Post#501 » by Iheartfootball » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:23 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:Succession:

Spoiler:
I'm losing patience. When is something of substance going to take place? It's the same story over and over 3 seasons in.

Spoiler:
When you really think about it, there's is no "story".

Spoiler:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I would enjoy discussing further. For me, it's a character-driven show suspended in a small circular story arc. It explores a dysfunctional family system with an enormous heaping of White privilege who are driven by greed; so, America. I find it depressing now. It mirrors the worst parts of our culture, and if I need to see that, I can look out the window or at a screen.

Or maybe you meant you just don't like the writing. I tend to overthink.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#502 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:36 pm

I said it before but once Marvel started introducing all the "multi-verse" stuff, that's pretty much where I'm tapping out. They basically invented an excuse/narrative device to ret-con everything and pump out shameless amounts of bad content. I saw the trailer for the new Spider-Man movie where they're apparently bringing back all the actors from the really really bad Spider-Man movies and my first audible thought was...

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Post#503 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:13 pm

jschligs wrote:Episode 3 of Dexter: New Blood was good. Curious to see how the season plays out with Harrison, Dexter's girlfriend and the rest of the group. It was weird seeing another episode where he didn't kill someone ha

Yeah, they've gone away from that. So far at least, still 7 to go. In previous years there was a season long arc but also several other "victims" along the way.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#504 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

Spoiler:
I'm losing patience. When is something of substance going to take place? It's the same story over and over 3 seasons in.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I would enjoy discussing further. For me, it's a character-driven show suspended in a small circular story arc. It explores a dysfunctional family system with an enormous heaping of White privilege who are driven by greed; so, America. I find it depressing now. It mirrors the worst parts of our culture, and if I need to see that, I can look out the window or at a screen.

Spoiler:
I love Stephen Root and I hope he has a longer/expanded role although maybe it was just a one off episode for him
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,686

Post#505 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Succession has been good but I do agree that they're kind of treading a circular storyline at this point, much like another of my favorite HBO shows, Silicon Valley, tended to do. I wonder how many more seasons they can really pull-off without it getting stale.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,646

Post#506 » by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Siefer wrote:There's a world where Shang Chi isn't a Marvel movie, and the 3rd act is cool as hell instead of an exposition dump wrapped in a CGI slog. Seriously, all of these **** movies have the same last 40 minutes, and it so consistently undermines what came before. My wife and I really enjoyed the first 90 minutes of this movie. The martial arts action was great, the characters and world-build were engaging, and the pacing was zippy. But then we had to do the thing, and the fights became magical, the plot started tumbling out in monologues, and Disney's trademark "cluttered CGI that moves unnaturally, feels weightless, and has no sense of space" took over to close the movie out.

Spoiler:
The dragon was pretty cool, I guess.

I was really into the beginning parts of Shang Chi. Excellent action pieces and scenery that reminded me of crouching tiger. But like you said, the CGI fest became overwhelming. I was also taken out of the movie from Awkwafina. I don't have anything against her as an actress, but her performance was a bit over the top for me.

I feel like my enjoyment for Marvel things has significantly dropped once the Netflix shows started going south. Everything from the Movies (Except for a few) to the stuff on Disney+ has been underwhelming to me for some time.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#507 » by blazza18 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:51 pm

The CGI stuff doesn't bother me at all as long as it looks cool on screen. The ending of WanderVision was probably the only time where I was like this is not good.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,484

Post#508 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
SupremeHustle wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I actually enjoy the show from an anthropologist's POV. It is a character study first and foremost. Story, in the traditional sense, is basically nonexistent in the show. It's not a knock at all. I'm into it. And I want Kieran Culkin in my movie!

To wit, the Coen Bros. tell stories. Succession, in my opinion, is just stuff that happens. Mostly compelling stuff, though.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#509 » by drew881 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:56 am

Big Mouth Christmas special.
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#510 » by ClassicJack » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 am

"The Many Saints of Newark" made me finally commit myself to a rewatch of "The Sopranos". Gandolfini is so f*ckin good, man.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#511 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:37 pm

Anyone watch The Mayor of Kingstown? Good cast. Created by Taylor Sheridan. I watched part of the first episode and lost interest. I know new shows need time to develop so I'll probably watch a few.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,737

Post#512 » by emunney » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:00 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Anyone watch The Mayor of Kingstown? Good cast. Created by Taylor Sheridan. I watched part of the first episode and lost interest. I know new shows need time to develop so I'll probably watch a few.

Please tell me it's a play on words and the main character's name is Mare.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#513 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 am

Ron Swanson wrote:I said it before but once Marvel started introducing all the "multi-verse" stuff, that's pretty much where I'm tapping out. They basically invented an excuse/narrative device to ret-con everything and pump out shameless amounts of bad content. I saw the trailer for the new Spider-Man movie where they're apparently bringing back all the actors from the really really bad Spider-Man movies and my first audible thought was...

Yeah, I'm extremely nervous about this Spiderman. It's like a random introduction of time travel into a universe I've spent what, like 60 hours in at this point?

I loved Shang Chi and was even relatively positive about the Eternals. But undermining the foundations of a beloved universe to include hated characters from the bad timeline seems really really dumb.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#514 » by crkone » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:01 pm

Anyone see Red Notice? I haven't but I'm trying to understand the chasm between the critics and audience score.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#515 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 pm

Enlisted came out in 2014. How come none of you told me it was the perfect show?
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#516 » by WRau1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:29 pm

Sunday's episode of Dexter felt like you were watching an episode from the first couple seasons, I really enjoyed it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#517 » by blazza18 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 pm

crkone wrote:Anyone see Red Notice? I haven't but I'm trying to understand the chasm between the critics and audience score.

Trust the audience score. Movie was really enjoyable.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,665

Post#518 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:16 pm

F is for Family had a nice run. Bill Burr is a funny ass dude.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#519 » by machu46 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:31 am

crkone wrote:Anyone see Red Notice? I haven't but I'm trying to understand the chasm between the critics and audience score.

It’s exactly what you’d expect from a movie starring Rock and Reynolds. I enjoyed it a lot but I get why critics wouldn’t; you’re just watching Rock and Reynolds have fun. It doesn’t really make sense and they don’t really act but that’s okay. I look forward to the undoubtedly coming sequel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#520 » by machu46 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:33 am

Shang Chi was one of the best marvel movies to date IMO and I’m extremely excited about what seems to be coming in the new Spider Man movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks