lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Re: Mikal Bridges discussion, news and highlights 

Post#503 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spotrac has it slightly differently but not but a big margin (-1 position). I think Marks may have left out MPJ's deal. Either way, top 10 sounds very high but there's "tiers" to it.

The top 10 guys are all player on max deals, so we're talking from $30m on the low end to $40m+ on the higher end.

22-23 salaries
$40m+ club
1. Lebron: $44.5m
2. KD: $44.1m
3. Kawhi: $42.5m

$30-40m range
4. Middleton: $37.9m
5. Jimmy Butler: $37.6m
6. Tobias Harris: $37.6m
7. Wiggins: $33.6m
8. Ingram: $31.6m
9. Hayward: $30.1m
10. MPJ: $29.8m

Just over $20m
11. Mikal Bridges: $20.1m

Even in Mikal's final season on this new contract, he's going to make $24.9m. That STILL doesn't put him in the top 10 of this list now. Salary cap is going to continue to grow, more guys are going to get big deals and even if he makes the top 10, he's almost certain to be at the lower end and his salary level should be a considerable drop off from the 7, 8 and 9 spots. And just looking at this list, the only guys I would legit pay the premium over Mikal would be guys like Jimmy, Kawhi, KD, Lebron and that's about it. I'd rather take Mikal over Ingram and Wiggins at $10-13m less and even though Middleton is a higher caliber player now, he's also paid almost $18m more. Well done James Jones on locking Mikal into a very team friendly deal
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#504 » by SunsLyf3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:34 pm

Genius off-season so far.
-Saved money on Mikal deal.
-Saved money on CP3 deal.
-Signed Javale at a bargain cost.
-Gave Shamet a good deal that will give us flexibility for trades.

Once DA gets maxed the Suns will be strapped for cash. DA just needs to go all put like he did in the playoffs and he will get his 5 year max.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

Post#505 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:23 am

Zona (@ZonaHoops_) Tweeted:
Mikal Bridges is insane. https://t.co/0csDx45fKx
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Excellent at/ around the rim!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#506 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:21 am

Bridges isn't even playing his best basketball yet and he's already improved.

With how efficient he is, he could certainly afford and should take more shots even if they aren't his typical high % attempts
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#507 » by Saberestar » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#508 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:27 pm

I've moved the non-Bridges talk to the OT thread.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1463286&start=600

Let's keep this focused on my boy Bridges :party:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#509 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:35 pm

Evan Sidery (@esidery) Tweeted:
Kristaps Porzingis when guarded by Mikal Bridges: 0-4

Jalen Brunson when guarded by Mikal Bridges: 0-4, 1 block, 1 turnover

One player is 7-foot-3 and the other is 6-foot-1. Mikal Bridges put together on an All-Defense masterpiece.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#510 » by Saberestar » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter

I agree. He is better than ever defensively, I can see his improvement in a lot of little things that he is doing on every single game this season.

He was already a good defender but this year he is another type of beast IMO.

He is perfect as a Point of Attack defender against PGs or SGs who are not strong enough to punish him around the paint.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#511 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:56 pm

You'll never be able to completely shutdown elite all-NBA scorers but if you can make it bloody hard for them to score or make plays, that has significant impact to the opposing team's offense. Bridges is and has been that guy for us.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#512 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:04 am

Evan Sidery (@esidery) Tweeted:
Not only should Mikal Bridges finally make an All-Defense team this season, but his current pace is going to put him in DPOY discussions.

For @basketbllnews, I examine why the excellent start from Bridges should make him a dark-horse contender: https://t.co/yQzbbN0FgO
Read on Twitter
?s=20
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#513 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Considering he was right on the verge of making an All-Def team last season, he should be in this season with his improved defense.

Interestingly, using the DFG% metric, Cam Payne is one of the best defenders in the league with a 29.6 DFG%. Not sure exactly what to make of that because he is a pretty good defender by the eye test.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#514 » by bwgood77 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Considering he was right on the verge of making an All-Def team last season, he should be in this season with his improved defense.

Interestingly, using the DFG% metric, Cam Payne is one of the best defenders in the league with a 29.6 DFG%. Not sure exactly what to make of that because he is a pretty good defender by the eye test.

Kawhi beat him for that last spot last year too. There may be other considerations though. We all look through the Suns lens. I don't even know who else might be considered...there could be other guys we don't think of.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#515 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:42 am

I thought he stuggled to defend quicker guards last season and he seems to have improved that.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#516 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 am

Mike Vigil (@protectedpick) Tweeted:
Be like Mikal Bridges.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
:lol:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#517 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:07 am

I just put together some stats for Ayton and looking at Bridges, it's hard not to be at least a little bit disappointed...maybe I just had high expectations.

His effort and energy is always at 100% and he has a big role of defending the opposing team's best wing every night but he really hasn't taken the offensive step forward I had anticipated. You could argue that we're winning so he's doing what's needed to win rather than focused on his numbers but he's taken a step back offensively I feel. Not necessarily in terms of his skillset but just in terms of his output and assertiveness.

He's a little behind in his scoring output, his FGA's, his FTA's, his 3PA's, his steals and his efficiency, which is still great, has all regressed slightly. Their not a big step back so it's not a concern but even a small step back is disappointing since he should be improving on his previous season. He's essentially the same player he was last season offensively but better defensively. Not a real cause of concern but I was hoping he'd be closer to 16-18ppg this season
MPT
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#518 » by MPT » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:25 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I just put together some stats for Ayton and looking at Bridges, it's hard not to be at least a little bit disappointed...maybe I just had high expectations.

His effort and energy is always at 100% and he has a big role of defending the opposing team's best wing every night but he really hasn't taken the offensive step forward I had anticipated. You could argue that we're winning so he's doing what's needed to win rather than focused on his numbers but he's taken a step back offensively I feel. Not necessarily in terms of his skillset but just in terms of his output and assertiveness.

He's a little behind in his scoring output, his FGA's, his FTA's, his 3PA's, his steals and his efficiency, which is still great, has all regressed slightly. Their not a big step back so it's not a concern but even a small step back is disappointing since he should be improving on his previous season. He's essentially the same player he was last season offensively but better defensively. Not a real cause of concern but I was hoping he'd be closer to 16-18ppg this season

Could be possible that he envisions himself as a different type of 3rd cog. If Bridges' whole M.O. is to be efficient AF on offense - even if it's through created opportunities via his defense - then maybe he is improving, but the trajectory won't show it initially. Or, shows it exactly in those stats. Because it does look like he's opened up his offensive potential, but will always go for the smart shot.

This team's youth-uncertainty is such a great problem to have :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#519 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:33 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I just put together some stats for Ayton and looking at Bridges, it's hard not to be at least a little bit disappointed...maybe I just had high expectations.

It's still so early. Last year he started the season not shooting well from 3 and then went on a tear the last few months. His efficiency and scoring was higher just a few days ago. His attempts are out and his scoring now is slightly down primarily because of fewer 3pt attempts...more going midrange....which I thought people wanted.

I am confused. Do people want him to create more of his own shots, which will inevitably impact his efficiency when he is not strictly 3s and cutting to the rim. Or do they expect 67% TS% on shots creating himself, like Book and CP3 do? That's nearly impossible.

Things will still fluctuate quickly with so few games. Just a few games ago Book was shooting 35% from 3 and now he is at 38.5%. Bridges was at 44% and is now at 41%.

It is weird to see people happier with Book with his overall big drop in efficiency at everything besides 3 (though I understand the better turnover rate being good and the 3 ball at this point in time), but Bridges improves defensively more, is still elite on efficiency, even with a drop in 3pt%, still better than Book at 3pt% which Book is at a career high, etc.

I think Bridges could certainly be 2nd option on offense and score 20ppg, but we have CP3, him and Ayton all kind of rotating in that role, and Bridges probably is more of the 4th in a close race between the 3..they are all about even.

It really should be more of an even split between the top 4 in shots in my opinion...maybe Paul with less until the 4th quarter. For whatever reason he usually shoots way better in the 4th and not so great earlier anyway.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#520 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 pm

I do want him to take on more of that offensive load and be that potential 3rd guy for us, even at the expense of his efficiency. All that efficiency is great and all but at low-ish volume, it's not the asset it's made out to be. Sacrificing some efficiency for more output is something I want to see from him because efficiency is something he can always work on getting back but if he's reliant on others to set his table every time, he's just going to be a good role player when he could be more.

Return to Phoenix Suns