Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Re: Wiseman will make us worse 

Post#121 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:34 am

Upperclass wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
bay2hk wrote:It still boggles my mind wiseman is not close to returning. I said he’ll be oden 2.0 before we drafted him and now he looks more like bagley 2.0. This dude need to focus on basketball and not be another fail wannabe rapper athlete

Do you have any pointer or reference suggesting Wiseman has ever considered being a rapper? Because otherwise that comment sounds pretty... well, please tell me you have some reason to think he wants to be a rapper.

Because.. he.. raps.. ? https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/qxwysj/james_wiseman_dropped_a_new_track_on_soundcloud/

Thanks. That is, of course, the good answer. It is also the first I heard of him rapping at all.

That being said. There have been plenty of stories about how eager he is to learn, how much he studies the game, etc. It seems like quite a leap to suggest he needs to focus on basketball instead of his music.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#122 » by HiRez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:24 am

What's going on with Wiseman's rehab? He was supposed to be back before Klay, but all I keep hearing about is how Klay is getting close.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#123 » by whatisacenter » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:22 am

HiRez wrote:What's going on with Wiseman's rehab? He was supposed to be back before Klay, but all I keep hearing about is how Klay is getting close.

Kerr was quoted today saying there have been no setbacks in his recovery but that the meniscus is a tricky injury to return from. Wiseman is doing 2 on 2 scrimmages but not full 5 on 5. They are going to take it slow with his return.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#124 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 am

Playing time wise this is like the beginning of Wiseman's Junior year at college.
There is no reason for his basketball IQ to be better than a college Junior.

But suppose Wiseman is booksmart, and a student of the gane and coachable and motivated to be as good as he can be; what is the value of film study and chalk board study to a player. How useful is coaching IQ to player IQ? Theoretical understanding is not the same as body memories.

It is OK if it takes a coach a second or two to understand what he is seeing on the floor but players need to react faster than that.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#125 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:46 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Playing time wise this is like the beginning of Wiseman's Junior year at college.
There is no reason for his basketball IQ to be better than a college Junior.

But suppose Wiseman is booksmart, and a student of the gane and coachable and motivated to be as good as he can be; what is the value of film study and chalk board study to a player. How useful is coaching IQ to player IQ? Theoretical understanding is not the same as body memories.

It is OK if it takes a coach a second or two to understand what he is seeing on the floor but players need to react faster than that.

Juniors in college can't spend as much time on their body and their study of the game as a professional can, nor do they have access to the data, coaching, trainers, and optimized training techniques. Wiseman should be better than a college junior.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#126 » by wco81 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:21 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
HiRez wrote:What's going on with Wiseman's rehab? He was supposed to be back before Klay, but all I keep hearing about is how Klay is getting close.

Kerr was quoted today saying there have been no setbacks in his recovery but that the meniscus is a tricky injury to return from. Wiseman is doing 2 on 2 scrimmages but not full 5 on 5. They are going to take it slow with his return.

Team is playing well.

Team is in no hurry with him. They're not getting beat on the boards.

Now if Dray, Looney and Bjelica start getting beat up or lose games to injury, there would be more urgency for Wiseman.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#127 » by and1GS » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:30 pm

bay2hk wrote:
and1GS wrote:
bay2hk wrote:It still boggles my mind wiseman is not close to returning. I said he’ll be oden 2.0 before we drafted him and now he looks more like bagley 2.0. This dude need to focus on basketball and not be another fail wannabe rapper athlete

Is Jaren Jackson Jr. also Bagley 2.0?

Not a good comparison. Luka was picked #3 after bagley when it was clear Luka was the best player in that draft. Lamelo was clearly the best player in that draft and had more potential than wiseman.

Jaren had the exact same injury Wiseman did and your whole point is he's injury prone and taking too long to recover from a major injury...

Move the goalposts all you want man, but you aren't making much sense to me. So I'm bowing out of this one.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#128 » by TB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:39 pm

Yup almost identical timeline to Jaren Jackson. Both initially had people saying 5 months when in reality that was just to assess where they were at. JJJ came back 8 months later, and actually also dropped a few songs during his time off lol.

8 months for Wiseman is this December, which is what he is tracking towards.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#129 » by HiRez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:40 pm

wco81 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Team is playing well.

Team is in no hurry with him. They're not getting beat on the boards.

Now if Dray, Looney and Bjelica start getting beat up or lose games to injury, there would be more urgency for Wiseman.

Right, but it would be nice for him to get up to speed and shake the rust off before that happens. Otherwise it could be even more frustrating for everyone if he's called on to do too much, too soon.

I see him getting time similar to what they're doing with Kuminga right now: give him some chances in meaningful minutes, but only in spurts and with a short hook if his worse instincts start to get the best of him. Keep the game plan simple: box out and rebound, catch lobs for dunks, play defense. Minimal jump shots and minimal moves that require dribbling, and look to pass out if there's not an easy shot.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#130 » by FNQ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:15 am

Cant find isolated video of it yet, but Kerr was clearly coached up by a medical professional in discussing JW and his knee.. you graduates of Google U would do well to give it a listen
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#131 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:15 am

FNQ wrote:Cant find isolated video of it yet, but Kerr was clearly coached up by a medical professional in discussing JW and his knee.. you graduates of Google U would do well to give it a listen

I'm curious what your take is on all of this stuff with Wiseman's knee. I get the sense he's a slow healer. I also suspect that the coaching staff is in no rush to have Wiseman return.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#132 » by FNQ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:25 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
FNQ wrote:Cant find isolated video of it yet, but Kerr was clearly coached up by a medical professional in discussing JW and his knee.. you graduates of Google U would do well to give it a listen

I'm curious what your take is on all of this stuff with Wiseman's knee. I get the sense he's a slow healer. I also suspect that the coaching staff is in no rush to have Wiseman return.

He might be, but the reality is that meniscus injuries have a wide range of outcomes, with the larger players having the longer healing time. There's a lot of theories/possibilities there, but they'd all come down to specifics that I dont have access to. I'm not worried about his long-term health or his injury history, yet. I'd also posit that it makes sense the Warriors are taking it slow with him, because there's no point to bringing him back early. We dont need him, it wouldnt help his development, and it wouldnt help his trade value.

Aside from that, the only issue I have with it is the impending rap album he's apparently releasing, which I only learned about in this thread
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#133 » by michaelm » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:02 pm

FNQ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

He might be, but the reality is that meniscus injuries have a wide range of outcomes, with the larger players having the longer healing time. There's a lot of theories/possibilities there, but they'd all come down to specifics that I dont have access to. I'm not worried about his long-term health or his injury history, yet. I'd also posit that it makes sense the Warriors are taking it slow with him, because there's no point to bringing him back early. We dont need him, it wouldnt help his development, and it wouldnt help his trade value.

Aside from that, the only issue I have with it is the impending rap album he's apparently releasing, which I only learned about in this thread

Absolutely. If they have chosen this path ie to attempt to fully heal the meniscus which is a chancy thing at best even in a 19 year old the last thing you want is to have it all come undone after giving it 5 months for want of another 4-6 weeks.

I don't like rap, but am entering old fogeydom.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#134 » by Impuniti » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Wait.. Wiseman is releasing a rap album?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#135 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 pm

Is the rap album going to be in English or Mandarin?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#136 » by watch1958 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Taking it slow makes perfect sense. If he hadn’t been hurt, he would have had 3-4 months of skill training over the summer, followed by training camp & preseason.

Because of the injury, he’s really only had two months. May as well keep working the skills for another month before you start the game prep.

Also, I wouldn’t want him and Klay coming back at the same time. Give them 3-4 weeks to adjust to Klay before adding Wiseman to the mix.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#137 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 am

Posted this on another thread but seems relative here.

Would Ayton make the Warriors worse?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#138 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:27 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Posted this on another thread but seems relative here.

How is this a reasonable comparison to make?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#139 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:34 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

I think the comparison is just that the premise of the thread is Wiseman makes the Warriors worse, would the same be true of Ayton. The interesting part of that is that it may not be a Wiseman specific issue but more an issue with big players wanting the ball.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#140 » by Samurai » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:19 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

Just speculating, but it could be because Kerr mentioned Ayton as the guy that he wants Wiseman to pattern his game after and that he thinks JW could eventually become that type of player.

Return to Golden State Warriors