Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Re: 2022 NBA Draft 

Post#661 » by Big J » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:55 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:I just can’t get behind Chet. The track record for tall white American lottery picks hasn’t been kind over the years. I just picture him getting posterized, and having his ankles broken over and over again when he gets switched onto quick guards.

weird take (per usual)

out of all the things to worry about Chet, getting posterized is probably the last one.

Why, you don’t think that will happen?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#662 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:02 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:I just can’t get behind Chet. The track record for tall white American lottery picks hasn’t been kind over the years. I just picture him getting posterized, and having his ankles broken over and over again when he gets switched onto quick guards.

weird take (per usual)

out of all the things to worry about Chet, getting posterized is probably the last one.

shot blocking is literally his best skill
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,103

Post#663 » by NYPiston » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:04 am

Chet has skill no doubt but I just can't get past how absurdly skinny he is, his whole frame is tiny. I just don't see how that body holds up over the rigors and physicality of a full NBA schedule. If I'm drafting in the top 3, I think he's too risky tbh.
It'll also be hard to evaluate him this season because Gonzaga is absolutely loaded, he's a role player on that team.

On another note, love hearing Dickie V.'s voice again. College basketball just isn't the same without him.
Big J
General Manager

Post#664 » by Big J » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:07 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
weird take (per usual)

It was also Shawn Bradley’s best skill.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#665 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:14 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

so your biggest issue with him is that a 7-1 shot blocking phenom is gonna get posterized all the time?
Big J
General Manager

Post#666 » by Big J » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:19 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

so your biggest issue with him is that a 7-1 shot blocking phenom is gonna get posterized all the time?

No, it’s more the track record of guys who look like him busting over the years. Granted he could be the exception, but I’d rather err with the historical precedent.
The Master
Rookie
And1: 1,586

Post#667 » by The Master » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:57 am

Big J wrote:No, it’s more the track record of guys who look like him busting over the years. Granted he could be the exception, but I’d rather err with the historical precedent.

Basically no one had his skillset.

No disrespect, but it sounds like ~2006-white guy bashing. Yeah, Chet has his question marks, but they're not a risk of getting posterized regularly (wtf) or his ankle getting broken on perimeter.

Holmgren is a great shotblocker (amazing size and great timing), and really fluid with movement for a player of his size, and his skillset is obviously pretty crazy for a big man of his age. It is fair tho to discuss his lower body strength, frame and how skinny he is considering demands of NBA playing. And you may wonder if KPs or Zion's cases (obviously, ignoring he's completely unprofessional) make GMs hesitant to take Holmgren at the very top of the draft.

That being said, only injuries can prevent Holmgren from going in top3 next year: Gonzaga is a team to beat, his boxscore production is ridiculous and his skillset is veeery advanced. It's a small sample size, but he can put some alltime great shotblocking numbers with versatile plug-in offensive impact all year long.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#668 » by BoutPractice » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:30 am

That play at 1.17 :o

Not only does he block the shot, grab the rebound, and take it coast to coast, with a behind the back dribble leading to a dunk... but he does it effortlessly and without rushing, accelerating at just the right moment. These are the sorts of plays that make you think he has no. 1 potential.

His body shape is a bit concerning, and injuries are always on your mind with a player like this, but it's hard to resist a 7 footer who blocks shots, shoots threes, is agile enough to be a good roller, knows how to pass and can even take his man off the dribble from time to time, all this with proper feel and effort.

Players like this have been busts before. There's also the upper middle, Porzingis scenario... But the mere possibility of his having an Anthony Davis type of impact (which simply doesn't exist for 99% of prospects) makes him hard to ignore.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#669 » by MemphisX » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 am

NYPiston wrote:Chet has skill no doubt but I just can't get past how absurdly skinny he is, his whole frame is tiny. I just don't see how that body holds up over the rigors and physicality of a full NBA schedule. If I'm drafting in the top 3, I think he's too risky tbh.
It'll also be hard to evaluate him this season because Gonzaga is absolutely loaded, he's a role player on that team.

On another note, love hearing Dickie V.'s voice again. College basketball just isn't the same without him.

This board really needs to kill this take. Kevin Durant is playing PF. Kristaps has played the 4 and 5. If Chet gets to the right team/coach. He will play the 3, 4 and 5. Just watch games and see the variety of players playing the 4 and 5. Chris Boucher entered the draft at 182lbs.

Being skinny is not a damn problem in the NBA. Toughness matters more. Same thing happened with Mobley when it was obvious he was more physical than players 30 to 40 pounds heavier than he was.

I think his skill level and timing are so damn obvious. He was the best and most impactful player on a court with probably 5 pros and the likely NCAA player of the year.

Do not over think Chet folks.

P.S. The scariest part of watching Chet dominate was remembering how Wemby was such a clearly better prospect when they were on the same court and he is 3 years younger. Yeesh!
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#670 » by BoutPractice » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:49 am

On the other end of the debate, I think he's also not served by the Kevin Durant, "7 foot guard" narrative. Whenever a tall, thin player has some perimeter skills they overthink things, want to completely revolutionize positions in basketball, etc.

When I think of the best possible version of Chet I think of a great 4, or a "small ball" 5 in one of those nightmare lineups that has a 30 plus/minus. I don't think his being skinny should lead him to go full guard. Rim protector who focuses first on dominating on the defensive end + helping his teammates by being a tough matchup on offense is a completely attainable goal that if he doesn't get distracted, is most likely to maximize his value at the pro level.

(A bit similar to Mobley in that regard, though Mobley struck me as just awkward enough that you wouldn't actually want to go through with the "turn him into a perimeter player" scenario)

Finally - when in doubt, I tend to go with the player who blocks shots. For some reason, the player on a winning team who blocks all the shots usually ends up having more positive impact in the NBA than the slick Duke-trained scorer with an aesthetically pleasing game and/or 6-9 tweener who's an immediate freshman sensation archetype.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#671 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 pm

MemphisX wrote:If Chet gets to the right team/coach. He will play the 3, 4 and 5. Just watch games and see the variety of players playing the 4 and 5. Chris Boucher entered the draft at 182lbs.

There is no way he is going to play the 3 in the NBA, ever. Also, Boucher is 29 and still a fringe NBA player – so that's not really a good example to make your point.

MemphisX wrote:Being skinny is not a damn problem in the NBA.

Then how come there are hardly any skinny players in the NBA and everyone goes out of their way to lift weights and get stronger? Obviously it matters, that's really not even debatable – it's just that some skinny/-ier players can overcome it, in that either they can play well despite being noticeably skinnier than their peers or they manage to somewhat catch up through rigorous training.

Also, the fact that you mention Porzingis as being an example of someone skinny actually counters your argument. I mean, just look at his shoulders and arms compared to Chet. Obviously Chet's size will also increase some but the fact that you view Porzingis as skinny for an NBA player should show you that being Chet-skinny just isn't something you normally see in the NBA. Hence, asking how much muscles and weight we can expect Chet to put on with his frame is completely fair.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,804

Post#672 » by Colbinii » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Chet reminds me of Karl-Anthony Towns in the fact he is Uber talented and has a tremendous feel for the game. I can't remember the last time a player had this defensive impact, its absurd.

He has questions about his lower body strength but I see his body holding up at the NBA level.

For those who were high on Sengun (I was), how do people think they compare? Would you rather have Chet or Sengun?

Chet is just in a different class as a prospect, Alpy was good but more like 8-14 pick, Chet is a legitimate top5 guy.

I think Sengun and Chet have a lot in common. Both have tremendously high BBIQ and a feel for the game, both are great passers and both are terrific defenders.

I see more upside in Chet but also more potential downside.

I'm not the only one who had Sengun as a top 5 talent last year.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#673 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:27 pm

Colbinii wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Chet reminds me of Karl-Anthony Towns in the fact he is Uber talented and has a tremendous feel for the game. I can't remember the last time a player had this defensive impact, its absurd.

He has questions about his lower body strength but I see his body holding up at the NBA level.

For those who were high on Sengun (I was), how do people think they compare? Would you rather have Chet or Sengun?

Chet is just in a different class as a prospect, Alpy was good but more like 8-14 pick, Chet is a legitimate top5 guy.

I think Sengun and Chet have a lot in common. Both have tremendously high BBIQ and a feel for the game, both are great passers and both are terrific defenders.

I see more upside in Chet but also more potential downside.

I'm not the only one who had Sengun as a top 5 talent last year.

don't think either is a particularly great defender overall tbh, but Alpy doesn't have Chet's shot blocking radius and I think that's a big differentiator, I think my biggest Q mark regarding Alpy is whether he can play the 5 defensively at a scalable level other than being a drop guy.

but yea, both are good passers and generally high IQ, but I think that's where the comps end.
Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Post#674 » by Slim Charlez » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

No, it’s more the track record of guys who look like him busting over the years. Granted he could be the exception, but I’d rather err with the historical precedent.

How many other 7 footers have had his skill set? Shawn Bradley sure as hell didn't.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#675 » by mattao313 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:12 pm

What's the biggest differences between Bol Bol and Chet?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app
Championships
clyde21
RealGM

Post#676 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:19 pm

mattao313 wrote:What's the biggest differences between Bol Bol and Chet?

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app

not much, Chet's a bit more functional athletically with a tighter handle. and I say this as a guy who had Bol top3 in his class.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,092

Post#677 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm

It's not the only difference of course, but I believe the key difference is probably attitude and approach to the game. To me, it appears Bol always wanted to be more of a finesse player and an offense-first kind of guy who liked to do fancy stuff. Holmgren looks more ready to do the dirty work and play with some fire even though his body type poses certain limitations, and he seems to be fine not always getting a ton of shots up. Holmgren is also a better and more willing passer than Bol – and that could at least partially also be due to their different attitudes and not just awareness or skill.

That being said, it does feel like Bol moves a bit more fluidly overall. Still, I have Holmgren as the better prospect despite being not as high on him as many others in no small part because of how he approaches the game and what he tries to be and do on the court compared to Bol.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#678 » by clyde21 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:08 pm

The-Power wrote:

It's not the only difference of course, but I believe the key difference is probably attitude and approach to the game. To me, it appears Bol always wanted to be more of a finesse player and an offense-first kind of guy who liked to do fancy stuff. Holmgren looks more ready to do the dirty work and play with some fire even though his body type poses certain limitations, and he seems to be fine not always getting a ton of shots up. Holmgren is also a better and more willing passer than Bol – and that could at least partially also be due to their different attitudes and not just awareness or skill.

That being said, it does feel like Bol moves a bit more fluidly overall. Still, I have Holmgren as the better prospect despite being not as high on him as many others in no small part because of how he approaches the game and what he tries to be and do on the court compared to Bol.

this is true, Chet's seems like a more physical player overall.
Big J
General Manager

Post#679 » by Big J » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:23 pm

I don't know why GM's keep going after these lumbering 7 footers year after year when the bust rate is ridiculously high. Everyone knows the league has moved towards athletic playmaking wings who can switch everything on defense. The hype from that Youtube highlight of him crossing Curry has lasted far too long.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,754

Post#680 » by Chuck Everett » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 pm

So Patrick Baldwin didn't play this afternoon. I suppose he suffered an injury the game before (not really sure nor did I bother to check). If his father wasn't going to recruit anyone else to play with him, what was the point of having him come to Milwaukee? He's going to leave after one year and you're going to get sacked all in the same year. Seems pretty inevitable at this point.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to NBA Draft