ImageImageImageImage

The 2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Who is your early favorite?

Chet Holmgren
32%
Paolo Banchero
23%
Jaden Hardy
7%
Jabari Smith
35%
Jalen Duren
4%

Total votes: 101

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Re: The 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#81 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:26 pm

paperboymafia wrote:Holmgren looks like a very talented toothpick

The guy has a great feel for the game on both ends of the court but I can’t think of a top front court prospect who had a worse frame than Chet

Maybe Durant? Even then, Durant had wider shoulders, way more athleticism, was younger than Chet coming in, and still played SG as a rookie..

I wonder if he will end up like a Tayshun Prince ectomorph type that never puts on weight.. tbh he gives off Marfan syndrome vibes
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#82 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:55 pm

Anyone watching potential top-3 pick Jabari Smith playing right now?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#83 » by drsd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:10 am

RookieStar wrote:Anyone watching potential top-3 pick Jabari Smith playing right now?

I am not seeing it with the rookies this year, and I think the Magic need to shuffle assets around moving forward. For example, if Boston keeps losing and decides to reset the roster, I would be all for a trade package of Anthony, the Magic's FRP, Okeke, the Bulls and Nuggets FRPs, a SnT of Bamba, and expirings for Jayson Tatum and Celts throw-ins.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#84 » by BCS » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:29 pm

I think this is one of those draft classes where the better players might be unknowns. I added Jordan Hawkins as someone I will keep an eye on. Still very raw and not played much but he seems to have the potential to be an offensive machine and is a great shooter. Btw, not for our high pick, lol.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Post#85 » by basketballRob » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:58 pm

I think Ivey ends up in the top 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#86 » by RookieStar » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Anyone watching potential top-3 pick Jabari Smith playing right now?

I am not seeing it with the rookies this year, and I think the Magic need to shuffle assets around moving forward. For example, if Boston keeps losing and decides to reset the roster, I would be all for a trade package of Anthony, the Magic's FRP, Okeke, the Bulls and Nuggets FRPs, a SnT of Bamba, and expirings for Jayson Tatum and Celts throw-ins.

Well it is still too early. Wait till teams are gearing up near March Madness. Posters here will have fan faves already.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 650

Post#87 » by RichCollab » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:25 pm

High lottery pick is incoming.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#88 » by Knightro » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:04 pm

drsd wrote:

I’m sure you would. The Celtics would laugh and hang up :lol:
drsd
RealGM

Post#89 » by drsd » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:44 am

SOUL wrote:
Ducklett wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Apparently we have the second hardest schedule left.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

We are the second worst team in the league, so it makes sense that everyone we play is better than us would make for a hard schedule...

Yeah. Also people read SOS stuff wrong like it's an indicator for the rest of the season. We can play a few top teams in the next few games and that SOS shoots down pretty far. We actually have played a decently hard schedule but haven't played the Bulls/Heat/Warriors a lot yet. We have a Bulls game next game and Warriors soon so it'll shoot down a bit.

Another point about Strength of Schedule; as the Magic is so bad, all teams it plays are better than it. This is why the best teams also have the weakest Strength of Schedules.

What is more informative is the rankings of "similar" teams. In this, Orlando is compare to Detroit, OKC, and (surprisingly) San Antonio and New Orleans. In that, Orlando is similar to Detroit and San Antonio, but New Orleans and OKC have a much easier ride.

Orlando looks more and more like it will finish with the 4th most lottery balls.

jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#90 » by jvdas » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:50 am

just went for a sim on tankatuon, we dropped to 7 while new orleans got the 1st and 3rd pick.

already waiting for the lottery pain.
drsd
RealGM

Post#91 » by drsd » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:54 am

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:

My point is not about the Celts or Smith per se. It is that Orlando could use a 24 year old more than a rookie. And a trade of Okeke, Anthony and the Magic's FRP for such a player is a better play for me than the Magic selecting in the draft.

I chose the Celts example only as Boston is likely to blow up its roster.

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#92 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:41 pm

Banchero Vs. Chet tonight at 10:30. College basketball season is starting to ramp up and the race for best odds is in full swing. We currently sit at 3rd (1.5 games behind Houston).

God, I hope we have a shot at picking Chet. I'm all in.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#93 » by Skybox » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:11 pm

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:

My point is not about the Celts or Smith per se. It is that Orlando could use a 24 year old more than a rookie. And a trade of Okeke, Anthony and the Magic's FRP for such a player is a better play for me than the Magic selecting in the draft.

I chose the Celts example only as Boston is likely to blow up its roster.

I see where you're heading although I agree with Knightro that Taytum is HIGHLY unlikely for any package, but it does show that even a team with TWO very young, very very good players, have tough decisions to make (once the guys get their big deals). Look at DAL -Luka is a god, but they went in on KP and now they're strapped. They don't have a single trade chip, IMO...Who are the teams that could decide they've got to start over with a different roster composition? A youngish team poorly constructed or maybe a new FO with a different vision...Not a POR situation with Dame and CJ suddenly on the move...I keep thinking NOLA is maybe headed that way towards removing Griffin, revisiting Zion's supporting cast and maybe, for a load of picks, etc, Ingram could be had. Aiming lower (and paying less) maybe NAW could do more elsewhere. SAC is always flirting with disassembly. The next place to look is for upcoming RFA's who might need bigger roles (and bigger paydays) than they can get where they are (I like Reddish). Teams have to make tough decisions when money is tight (ask OKC about MVP James Harden). GSW is rolling towards a ring with 3 non-contributing high-profile rookies...any chance they'd sell one for some current depth like TRoss (obviously we'd have to add, even for Moody). Does Carlisle have enough credit to blow up the IND roster if he thinks it's unsalvageable-could Sabonis and Turner finally be split (as is suggested every year). Could OKC just kick the can even farther down the road and sell SGA (who's very young but maybe getting pissed about waiting) for a boatload of picks and expiring guys and prospects? I'm not saying these are easy to do, but this is where GMs are made. Taking big swings-seeing something others don't yet see in a guy buried on a roster.

The thing about high picks is that they are also high-value trade chips. Generally, IMO, way overvalued vs. existing guys that can actually play. I am NOT excited about watching a guy like Holmgren end up suddenly looking like Poku because he's not working his magic on guys a foot shorter than he is. If you think Suggs is getting the rookie wake-up on his ball handling limitations, do you really think Chet, who is (rightly) given props for being able to dribble a bit, will pull those moves against NBA defenders? I don't...at least not for a long time. I'm certainly not opposed to a high draft pick, but trades need to be considered too. These kids are more of a crapshoot than ever.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#94 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:37 pm

thelead wrote:Special:

And to think the only thing standing in the way of you guys having Jalen Suggs and Chet Holmgren reunited once again is Cole effing Anthony. Hahaha...

It was set up perfectly for y'all.. start Jalen at the 1 from day 1 and let him take his bumps and bruises while you guys lose and get a top 3 pick. But nooooo let's see if Cole Anthony can chuck the team to a few meaningless wins.

You still could've brought Cole Anthony off the bench to let him chuck until his thirst for chucking is quenched.

Mosely is most to blame but Hammond is also to blame for not laying the ground rules.

The idea that Cole Anthony should be treated as a cornerstone piece is insane.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#95 » by Def Swami » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:18 pm

I'm a big fan of Jabari Smith. I feel like he could play himself into the conversation with Chet and Paolo.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#96 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:24 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:And to think the only thing standing in the way of you guys having Jalen Suggs and Chet Holmgren reunited once again is Cole effing Anthony. Hahaha...

It was set up perfectly for y'all.. start Jalen at the 1 from day 1 and let him take his bumps and bruises while you guys lose and get a top 3 pick. But nooooo let's see if Cole Anthony can chuck the team to a few meaningless wins.

You still could've brought Cole Anthony off the bench to let him chuck until his thirst for chucking is quenched.

Mosely is most to blame but Hammond is also to blame for not laying the ground rules.

I'm not the world's biggest Cole Anthony fan by any means, but he's been the Magic's best offensive player this year by a wide margin.

These are still human beings and it's really easy for a coach to lose credibility in the locker room when you tell the team "I know Player A (Anthony) has been WAY better offensively than Player B (Suggs), but we're sending Player A to the bench because we think Player B might have more long-term upside."

Especially when Anthony's only 21 years old himself. It's not like the Magic are blocking a young player with some veteran who isn't going to be here.

Suggs is under contract for a long time. These things have a way of working themselves out.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#97 » by Howard Mass » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:29 pm

I think it's way too early.

We don't know how the Lotto balls will bounce and players always emerge.

It's about The Magic creating their own luck this year.

A bigman might actually be good for this team and this is The Draft for that.

We shall see but the current young talent on this team has many excited.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#98 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:33 pm

Def Swami wrote:I'm a big fan of Jabari Smith. I feel like he could play himself into the conversation with Chet and Paolo.

22 PTS, 6 REB, 4 AST, 1 BLK, 4-8 3PT today in a win over Syracuse. He's good. I'm not sure where I'd slot him just yet.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 893

Post#99 » by Bakomagic » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:37 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
thelead wrote:Special:

And to think the only thing standing in the way of you guys having Jalen Suggs and Chet Holmgren reunited once again is Cole effing Anthony. Hahaha...

WTF are you talking about ? We are currently and projected to finish as one of the worst 3 teams in the NBA.
drsd
RealGM

Post#100 » by drsd » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:49 pm

Def Swami wrote:I'm a big fan of Jabari Smith. I feel like he could play himself into the conversation with Chet and Paolo.

The problem here is that Smith would be a 3rd stringer on this roster, without a trade being made. And that's the rub for me in the Magic drafting yet another forward.

Return to Orlando Magic