ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1421 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:43 am

knicksNOTslick wrote:
ctorres wrote:Is RJ playing hurt? I'm looking at his game logs now.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barrerj01/gamelog/2022

October 20th to October 26th (4 games)
12.0 ppg, 39.1% fg's (11.5 fga/g), 26.1% 3pt fg's (5.8 3pa/g), 60.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

October 28th to November 5th (5 games)
25.0 ppg, 51.7% fg's (17.4 fga/g), 50.0% 3pt fg's (6.4 3pa/g), 79.2% ft's (4.8 fta/g)

November 7th - November 21st (8 games)
10.1 ppg, 28.0% fg's (13.4 fga/g), 17.5% 3pt fg's (5.0 3pa/g), 70.0% ft's (2.5 fta/g)

So what exactly happened to RJ between November 5th and November 7th? When I look at the game logs, the drop off is clear.

Did he hurt his shooting hand? Is he not getting much lift from his legs? I think something physically happened to him. It cannot just be mental or the opposing scouting reports figuring him out. I don't think it's the way our offense is running either.

Also, from October 20th to November 5th (9 games), RJ was getting 35.4 minutes per game. From Novmber 7th to November 21st (8 games), RJ has been getting 29.9 minutes per game.

So the Knicks have cut his playing time down by 5 and a half minutes during the latest stretch of games. I'm guessing he is still healthy enough to play defense in Thibs' eyes, which is why he still gets a lot of minutes, but he is not healthy enough to produce on the offensive end.

It has been an entirety of TWO WEEKS that RJ's shooting has been atrocious and god awful. He has not shot above 38% in a single game since November 5th. There has to be something physically wrong with him, there just has to be.

The blown layup last game was telling. Almost like he could barely get up just to lay it in. Couldn't even finish strong. He must be playing through something but if that's the case, he should sit and rest a few games.

I haven't given up on RJ, i think he'll be fine in the long run as a 3rd option. He's already shown some improvement on D and he's still young so he can def turn it around.

I don't want none of the posters who jumped ship to jump back on once he actually gets back to playing decent. It's crazy how impatient Knicks fans are. You would think we're a contending team the way people are so quick to give up on our youth.

How do you explain his excellent defense and rebounding? Can't have it both ways.

I was never sold on RJ's offense. Then again, I really didn't watch much of him in his one year of college ball. The little bit I did watch, however, was not impressive. High usage and poor outside shooting. I have a visceral reaction to those kind of players having watching Carmelo here for too long.

Edit:

From last season. He’s doing it again now.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/knicks-rj-barrett-in-awful-shooting-slump-after-sizzling-start/

Barrett, the No. 3-overall pick in the 2019 draft out of Duke, has connected on just 19 of 72 shots from the field (26.3 percent) since his sizzling start in the opener. He also has clanked 21 consecutive attempts from beyond the 3-point arc.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,721

Post#1422 » by Guano » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:27 pm

still can't get over maple morrison - it's one of the coldest knick names ever.
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,952

Post#1423 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:23 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Is he a worse prospect than Tim hardaway jr?

Prospect no because RJ has a more complete game and better instincts to become a player that impacts every facet of the game.

In theory, RJ at least has a path to become a superstar. He may just not have the athleticism for it. Tim is more of a hired gun.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#1424 » by DaGawd » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:33 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Prospect no because RJ has a more complete game and better instincts to become a player that impacts every facet of the game.

In theory, RJ at least has a path to become a superstar. He may just not have the athleticism for it. Tim is more of a hired gun.

Alternate prospective.. at least Tim has a clear area of the game he excels at.. scoring in bunches. RJ really doesn’t do anything well.. right now if you asked me what his strong point is on the floor I’d probably say it’s his rebounding… and that’s pretty useless for a guard/wing becoming a star player
BaF
Washington Wizards
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,952

Post#1425 » by Capn'O » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:57 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Alternate prospective.. at least Tim has a clear area of the game he excels at.. scoring in bunches. RJ really doesn’t do anything well.. right now if you asked me what his strong point is on the floor I’d probably say it’s his rebounding… and that’s pretty useless for a guard/wing becoming a star player

It took him like 4 years to get there, putting him at 3 years older than Barrett is right now. That after almost being out of the league at 23. And then he came to the Knicks and had to contribute more than his skillset allowed for two more years.

Barrett can board, get to the rim, distribute, defend. Run the offense for a few possessions. Last year, there was a lot of promise with his shot. The things he can do made him a far better _prospect_ than Hardaway. It remains to be seen if he becomes the better player. Right now, he's not that.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#1426 » by Ray Williams » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:18 pm

When Barrett is hitting from outside, he can be a monster. The problem is he is way to inconsistent with his outside shooting. When he’s off he has to stick to bully ball and defense and stop chucking up shots hoping they’ll go in. Maybe one of these off seasons he’ll get that jumper developed, but in the meantime, if you’re cold, stop chucking up bricks.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,157

Post#1427 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:46 am

Honestly i don’t think Randle is the best fit for rj but i also think this situation is a great learning experience for rj. RJ jus only 21!! Lets remember that
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#1428 » by Jstock12 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:46 am

Guano wrote:still can't get over maple morrison - it's one of the coldest knick names ever.

:lol:
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#1429 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Capn'O wrote:
It took him like 4 years to get there, putting him at 3 years older than Barrett is right now. That after almost being out of the league at 23. And then he came to the Knicks and had to contribute more than his skillset allowed for two more years.

Barrett can board, get to the rim, distribute, defend. Run the offense for a few possessions. Last year, there was a lot of promise with his shot. The things he can do made him a far better _prospect_ than Hardaway. It remains to be seen if he becomes the better player. Right now, he's not that.

Yup. RJ was the 2nd best player on a 4th seeded playoff team at age 20 in just his second year. By year 4, THJ was like the #3 guy for the Hawks, but not even a full time starter. Barrett has more room for improvement, but maybe it won't happen.

Also, for all the talk of Hardaway being the better player right now and bringing more to the table with this shooting, the dude is shooting just .386 from the field this year, which is even worse than RJ who has been in a pretty long slump. Both guys averaging about the same PPG in the same minutes.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,998

Post#1430 » by god shammgod » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm

derrick rose was the 2nd best player last year, not rj.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#1431 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm

You can't even have a serious discussion cause the RJ trolling just gets out of control
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Guano
RealGM

Post#1432 » by Guano » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:34 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:You can't even have a serious discussion cause the RJ trolling just gets out of control

roll back a handful of pages to when maple morrison stunted on the pels g-league squad and people were yelling for him to be the first option and it was now his team and you say that his trolls are the ones who ruin serious discussion. the AUDACITY! :lol:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#1433 » by DaGawd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:40 pm

Guano wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:You can't even have a serious discussion cause the RJ trolling just gets out of control

roll back a handful of pages to when maple morrison stunted on the pels g-league squad and people were yelling for him to be the first option and it was now his team and you say that his trolls are the ones who ruin serious discussion. the AUDACITY! :lol:

People were really out for blood for us non RJ believers during that stretch lmao. Now that he’s ass again that crowd has gone MIA
BaF
Washington Wizards
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#1434 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:44 pm

god shammgod wrote:derrick rose was the 2nd best player last year, not rj.

Fair. I probably should've said #2-3 guy instead. RJ was still the team's 2nd leading scorer (his scoring actually went up after we added Rose) and even before the Rose trade, we were still a lower seed playoff team playing .500 ball.

The point is RJ's role last year was bigger than Timmy's 6th man role with the Hawks.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#1435 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:45 pm

Guano wrote:

All i see is pages and pages of maple morrison and comparisons to all the great knick draft busts. Man, im not sifting thru this waste land to find 1 or 2 pro RJ posts, probably by nykmentailty :lol:

But yea, the overhyping of RJ is unbearable too
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Guano
RealGM

Post#1436 » by Guano » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Guano wrote:

All i see is pages and pages of maple morrison and comparisons to all the great knick draft busts. Man, im not sifting thru this waste land to find 1 or 2 pro RJ posts, probably by nykmentailty :lol:

But yea, the overhyping of RJ is unbearable too

you can't blame all of us rj trolls for buzz's late night drunk posting sprees. :lol:

hopefully last night game gets him out of his funk and he continues on his upward trend.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,835

Post#1437 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Guano wrote:

People were really out for blood for us non RJ believers during that stretch lmao. Now that he’s ass again that crowd has gone MIA

Yeah during that .. what … 2-3 game stretch. Followed up by a dozen bad ones. Wonder how long we have to wait for him to have another good game so it can be his team again :lol:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,835

Post#1438 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:07 pm

This is just a troll thread with a pendulum swinging back and forth, nobody really cares about RJ we are just trying to dunk on each other
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1439 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Guano
RealGM

Post#1440 » by Guano » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

robillionaire wrote:

This is just a troll thread with a pendulum swinging back and forth, nobody really cares about RJ we are just trying to dunk on each other

unfortunately for our knicks the pendulum seems to be tilted one way.

Return to New York Knicks