ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,976

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1441 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:21 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:You can't even have a serious discussion cause the RJ trolling just gets out of control

This is just a troll thread with a pendulum swinging back and forth, nobody really cares about RJ we are just trying to dunk on each other

That is true but pretty much what I mean. You guys broke the pendulum
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1442 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:24 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:You can't even have a serious discussion cause the RJ trolling just gets out of control

This is just a troll thread with a pendulum swinging back and forth, nobody really cares about RJ we are just trying to dunk on each other

I'm sure he'll have 1 or 2 more good games this year to get everyone's hopes up just be patient
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#1443 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I would argue RJ broke the pendulum with his up and down play. We’re simply reacting to it bc it’s frustrating to watch. I think everyone here would love it if RJ turned into the player who we thought we drafted.
Free Palestine
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1444 » by robillionaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I would argue RJ broke the pendulum with his up and down play. We’re simply reacting to it bc it’s frustrating to watch. I think everyone here would love it if RJ turned into the player who we thought we drafted him.

I hope he becomes so good that it makes everybody who compared him to adam morrison look like an idiot including myself, I just want the team to win
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,976

Post#1445 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:38 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I would argue RJ broke the pendulum with his up and down play. We’re simply reacting to it bc it’s frustrating to watch. I think everyone here would love it if RJ turned into the player who we thought we drafted him.

Inconsistency often happens with young players. I see people clamoring for Tyler Herro. He had stretches as bad as RJ. IQ went thru a rough stretch and people wanted him benched, now looks much better and everyone is back in. A lot of people want to build thru the draft but then they don't have the patience to go thru the ups and downs or hate the player if he isn't a superstar.

RJ will come out of this slump eventually, and we will see where he's at by the end of the season.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1446 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:09 pm

robillionaire wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I hope he becomes so good that it makes everybody who compared him to adam morrison look like an idiot including myself, I just want the team to win

Adam Morrison? :rofl: who came up with one? DaGawd?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1447 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

Inconsistency often happens with young players. I see people clamoring for Tyler Herro. He had stretches as bad as RJ. IQ went thru a rough stretch and people wanted him benched, now looks much better and everyone is back in. A lot of people want to build thru the draft but then they don't have the patience to go thru the ups and downs or hate the player if he isn't a superstar.

RJ will come out of this slump eventually, and we will see where he's at by the end of the season.

I know, you’re right. But not only haven’t we seen any improvement from him so far this season, we seen regression. rJ is now being benched in 4th quarters bc he’s too unreliable offensively.

Maybe RJ will still develop into that player like Randle did in another 3 years. How much rope are you gonna give him if he continues to play like this?
Free Palestine
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,658

Post#1448 » by DaGawd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Adam Morrison? :rofl: who came up with one? DaGawd?

As much as I want to.. I can’t claim that genius :lol: I forget who it was
BaF
Washington Wizards
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#1449 » by DaGawd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:17 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I know, you’re right. But not only haven’t we seen any improvement from him so far this season, we seen regression. rJ is now being benched in 4th quarters bc he’s too unreliable offensively.

Maybe RJ will still develop into that player like Randle did in another 3 years. How much rope are you gonna give him if he continues to play like this?

My hope is the 4th quarter benchings ignite a work ethic so intense he miraculously gets way better at shot creating, shooting, finishing etc.. so the coach can’t take him out.. probably wishful thinking but hey
BaF
Washington Wizards
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,933

Post#1450 » by Guano » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:26 pm

robillionaire wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

the consolation prize is we get to use maple morrison if he doesn't pan out and that is a win/win situation :lol:
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,226

Post#1451 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:57 pm

So...RJ played really well for like 6 games or so. In a slump for like 10 games. People out here calling him a bust and saying he's trash. STFU AND GTFO! :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#1452 » by N8isScofield » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:08 pm

If this front office had any ambition, he would be in New Orleans with some picks for Ingram.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#1453 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:10 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

I would argue RJ broke the pendulum with his up and down play. We’re simply reacting to it bc it’s frustrating to watch. I think everyone here would love it if RJ turned into the player who we thought we drafted.

This is very true. But he’s young and a smart player. I’m confident he’ll shine on the big stage one day.

But he’s not a 25 ppg scorer, which is fine. It’s just that we still need one.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#1454 » by DaGawd » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:28 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:So...RJ played really well for like 6 games or so. In a slump for like 10 games. People out here calling him a bust and saying he's trash. STFU AND GTFO! :lol:

To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season
BaF
Washington Wizards
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1455 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 pm

Check out Kenny Payne’s reaction in the still shot

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Free Palestine
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1456 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:57 am

R2J2 is obviously a bust, in terms of a #3 pick. Herro's clearly better, also THT and Mann to a lesser extent.

Otoh he's better than Zion. The landmass we are unlikely to ever see.

That draft was terrible from top to bottom.

R2J2 can, with enough developmental minutes, be a useful, if limited, player.

But he will never have the elan, the je ne sais quoi, the jouissance .. with which certain other recent Knicks draft picks overflow.

Spoiler:
I'm talking about Kevinho, ofc :D
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#1457 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:11 am

DaGawd wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:So...RJ played really well for like 6 games or so. In a slump for like 10 games. People out here calling him a bust and saying he's trash. STFU AND GTFO! :lol:

To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season

Not to mention that wasn't a good example of a player we shouldn't call a bust or trash. 6 good games and 10 bad. I'm rooting for RJ. Come up with a better sample size. Maybe wait until he has 10 great games and a bad 6
Hatrick Ewing
Junior
And1: 354

Post#1458 » by Hatrick Ewing » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:15 am

I expect and anticipate a robust escalation of Barrett's scoring proficiency, and acknowledge that due solely to the fact that his draft spot multiplies his magnifying glass, expectations for his development will exceed those of a lesser known quantity for at least a few years. Does Barrett genuinely possess the tools to transform his game into that of an all star? Who knows. But I believe that due to his generous but voracious stature and undeniably ambrosial nature, we shall be amorous to him. He is not seemingly decapod like Lebron James or Giannis and we need to let him grow into the player that he will become, but not giving him time to develop is anything but diaphanous and we cannot allow his game to be ersatz in any way, but rather let it develop as it should. But I digress.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#1459 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Hatrick Ewing wrote:I expect and anticipate a robust escalation of Barrett's scoring proficiency, and acknowledge that due solely to the fact that his draft spot multiplies his magnifying glass, expectations for his development will exceed those of a lesser known quantity for at least a few years. Does Barrett genuinely possess the tools to transform his game into that of an all star? Who knows. But I believe that due to his generous but voracious stature and undeniably ambrosial nature, we shall be amorous to him. He is not seemingly decapod like Lebron James or Giannis and we need to let him grow into the player that he will become, but not giving him time to develop is anything but diaphanous and we cannot allow his game to be ersatz in any way, but rather let it develop as it should. But I digress.

I can't tell. Are you being sarcastic?

So I'll give you my honest feedback. I loved RJ coming out of Duke. I liked him more than Zion. I had more doubts about Zions athleticism translating than RJ which obviously I was very wrong about but I thought one was a 6'7 SG and the other was a 6'7 C. And RJ at least compared to his peers was pretty strong. In terms of skill, most players rarely get to display thier full array of skills in one yr of college on a stacked team anyway. Zion did but most nights he was going up against Cs the same size or slightly taller than him.

But in any case I think RJ can become a solid player, maybe even one or two time starter similar to how Julius was last yr where it's more that the team is winning that because you stand out dramatically against your peers. Even Randle who's vastly more superior offensively at that allstar game was more of an ancillary player. It was like when Starks or Mason was invited. So that's the type of Allstar I can envision RJ being. And maybe that's fine. I rather win than recieve awards but for him as an individual I just dont ever see him living up to his draft spot. Depending on how you define bust or not some might have a point.

Of course there are TOTAL BUSTS at pick 3 but often times you're either that type of bust where your out of the league cause everybody got it so wrong, or you're in that Carmelo Anthony or better. Think for a second, Anthony is often considered a failure and in his rookie yr he brought a team in the lottery to the playoffs and then never missed the playoffs until 3yrs into his Knicks tenure AS HIS TEAMS #1 OPTION. All that heat, all that smoke. And here we have RJ trending into a Harrison Barnes type of career and one could argue Barnes has statistically been better, has experience winning at a higher level, and then for a brief time acted as a teams primary option although that hasn't garnered much success. But that's my point. We just all assume RJ can get much better than this. You know how many guys in this league shoot 40% on assisted 3s and can drive to the basket in a straight line?

RJ lacks blow by natural ability, lacks raw athleticism and then finally he lacks a soft touch. He's rigid, seemingly only moves in straight lines and still can't go east west with his handle. Could he get better? Yeah but every 7th man bench option is trying to get better.

Again, I like RJ but it's probably time to accept and enjoy him developing moreso into the best version of the very same role he has right now. More of a consistent winning teams 3rd option. And we can enjoy that if we win. The best question to ask yourself are these 2 questions
1-If Julius Randle were waived (and we know we'd suck that's not the question) could RJ truly look like the future franchise player of this team. Even on a crappy team like how the Twolves or Kings are.
2-And forget Julius, if we did stink, were a lotto team and drafted lottery caliber players. Would RJ have to fear that he could be unseated in our collective (he must end up the star) by some other young talent. There are plenty of nights where Quickley looks more likely to be an allstar than RJ right now. Where I feel like all it takes is for Quickley to spend a summer with some skill-based former PG and be closer at PG to being this electric star than RJ ever will at the wing.

It's a hard reality to face. You never wanna give up. I don't even think we have to give up. Could spend his whole career in NY as that player we drafted 3rd who ended up our 3rd option for life, who complimented some other star, we win perhaps even championships and maybe it becomes a who cares type situation. But RJ simply isn't gonna be our alpha folks. He might get one season in his life if he survives a total team blow up rebuild very similar to Barnes on the Kings one yr but he has yrs of development to be a dominant 2nd option. ... years.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,148

Post#1460 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 pm

Evan Turner 2.0 only with less fluidity.

Return to New York Knicks