OT: What is the history of RealGM?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#121 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Outside of ESPN, Mixmakers was also a forum that was somewhat active for basketball discussion. I was on there before coming on here. Miss it at times.
CumberlandPosey
Pro Prospect
And1: 576

Post#122 » by CumberlandPosey » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:35 pm

a great thread.i was lurking for a long time before i made an account.i communicated with some dude in our native language about basketball in a pretty sophisticated way.then one of our discussion partners mentioned that the beforementioned dude was posting great stuff on this site.thats how i found my way here.the user im talking about was mysticbb.some folks may remember him...he really made some very serious and glorious posts especially on the pc board.
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,514

Post#123 » by KrAzY3 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:37 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
KrAzY3 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:Early 2000s, there was no social media, just forums. ESPN had their own which was the most popular. Fans from different teams were fighting eachother all the time, it was glorious. Then they shut them down for what I presume to be costs because they had quite literally millions of posts.

Yeah I used to use the ESPN forums.

In this era it is really hard to fathom how and why ESPN decided to give up all that traffic though. If it still existed now, you'd think it would have been expanded and try to launch a broader social media platform. I wonder how much they spend for ads on other people's platforms now...

Except for a handful of posters the place was a cesspool and there was a lot of bullying, racism, sexism, etc, along with just insane points made that made no sense and extreme hyperbolic points. I think ESPN thought it was too much of a hassle to have moderators moderate so they just closed shop.

So you're saying it was basically like Twitter which is worth over ten billion.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,977

Post#124 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:it was really bad, then tsherkin finally left
now its okay
Was he that bad? i remember people talking about him but i was never a big GB poster

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app

So, let me say some stuff about Tyler Sherkin, because he deserves some Prerak-type love.

Tyler was extremely knowledgeable and could post incredibly quickly (like Prerak). Fast mind.

He was one of the key people in the Player Comparisons board culture as we developed it in the 00s. Any project, he’d be involved and he’d be a powerhouse.

I didn’t always see eye to eye with him, but lots of others can say that about me, so no shade there. Iron sharpens iron, as they say, and I certainly learned as a result of my interactions with him.

I don’t know what happened with him. I hope he’s okay. To my knowledge, he just disappeared. (Prerak by contrast made clear that he was going to stop posting.) if memory serves, he’d be nearing 40 now, so if anything bad happened to him, we’re not talking about normal human aging.

I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be as diplomatic as possible, right as I joined the mod team there was a dispute over the direction of the boards and autonomy over team boards. Knicks board mods were at the center of it. Roughly, the main discussion was whether we should hold a hard line and keep a high standard for content posting on the boards vs. a less punitive approach. tsherkin's POV did not win out. I can't lie that since that time I've seen a tradeoff in the downturn in content vs. fostering more of a community environment where posters aren't looking over their shoulders at every comment worrying about violations.

Do we want violations or hot takes?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,850

Post#125 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Has there ever been talk of realgm going public? With the IPO boom it would make sense and would existing members receive IPO pricing or whatever
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#126 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Was he that bad? i remember people talking about him but i was never a big GB poster

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using RealGM mobile app

So, let me say some stuff about Tyler Sherkin, because he deserves some Prerak-type love.

Tyler was extremely knowledgeable and could post incredibly quickly (like Prerak). Fast mind.

He was one of the key people in the Player Comparisons board culture as we developed it in the 00s. Any project, he’d be involved and he’d be a powerhouse.

I didn’t always see eye to eye with him, but lots of others can say that about me, so no shade there. Iron sharpens iron, as they say, and I certainly learned as a result of my interactions with him.

I don’t know what happened with him. I hope he’s okay. To my knowledge, he just disappeared. (Prerak by contrast made clear that he was going to stop posting.) if memory serves, he’d be nearing 40 now, so if anything bad happened to him, we’re not talking about normal human aging.

I wish him well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be as diplomatic as possible, right as I joined the mod team there was a dispute over the direction of the boards and autonomy over team boards. Knicks board mods were at the center of it. Roughly, the main discussion was whether we should hold a hard line and keep a high standard for content posting on the boards vs. a less punitive approach. tsherkin's POV did not win out. I can't lie that since that time I've seen a tradeoff in the downturn in content vs. fostering more of a community environment where posters aren't looking over their shoulders at every comment worrying about violations.

Do we want violations or hot takes?

There was that, but it's not the reason he left. There are people who know, but if they told you....
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#127 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:07 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Has there ever been talk of realgm going public? With the IPO boom it would make sense and would existing members receive IPO pricing or whatever

I seriously doubt it's worth that much. They try to make money off ads but I'm guessing most people block them. Is an internet forum something you'd invest in? Feel it's the future?
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#128 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:12 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Has there ever been talk of realgm going public? With the IPO boom it would make sense and would existing members receive IPO pricing or whatever

I seriously doubt it's worth that much. They try to make money off ads but I'm guessing most people block them. Is an internet forum something you'd invest in? Feel it's the future?
Wasn't Hoopshype sold for 7m?
Anyway, IPO wouldn't make much sense, maybe an acquisition

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#129 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:13 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

I like investing in companies I believe in - this would be one of them. I was half joking but it would be pretty cool
Blacksheep25
Rookie
And1: 1,301

Post#130 » by Blacksheep25 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:14 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Blacksheep25 wrote:I’ll tell you the true story of RealGM. Most of those in charge now have made a conscious decision to bury the truth about the origins of the site.

(...)

Amazing post... a classic!

Better than 99,9% of the scripts Hollywood has been churning out for a least 2 decades now.

Kudos to you, sir.

Thank you sir.

Next time I stop in at happy hour at 5 for a few drinks, and find myself getting home at midnight, I’ll tell the story of the Nummi plant in Fremont and how it led to a lot of pain for you Warriors faithful.

A joint venture between General Motors and Toyota that led to a gambling debts owed to the Yakuza that were friendly with Toyota executives in the Bay Area.

Of course it all culminated in Weber’s trade to the Bullets after only one season to satisfy the debt.

If you think it’s just a coincidence that the Bullets drafted Juwan Howard in 94, traded for Weber the same year, and you don’t think there was something shady, and Ed Martin wasn’t involved, then you don’t know the whole story.

“On March 21, 2002—after almost three years of testimony—the grand jury returned an eight-count indictment charging Martin, his wife Hilda and their friend Clarence Malvo with running an illegal gambling business at the Ford River Rouge plant, money laundering and conspiracy to launder money. According to the indictment, Martin made illicit loans totalling $616,000 to Webber, Taylor, Bullock and Traylor to launder money from an illegal numbers game at Detroit–area auto plants.[32] The loans were made with the understanding that they would be repaid once the players turned pro. Martin was indicted for having paid Webber a total of $280,000 between 1988–1993, which included time from Webber's freshman year at Detroit Country Day School in Birmingham, Michigan to his sophomore year at Michigan.[33]”

Yakuza in Fremont, two Michigan kids, a bookie, and the strangest NBA trade in history after only a single season followed by the assassination of Yitzhak Rabin the following year in Tel Aviv, prompting his good friend Abe Polin to change the teams name from Bullets to Wizards. We saw right through that charade on the original RealGM. They want to pretend we didn’t exist because we broke the big stories then.

If I can’t connect those very obvious dots, then I don’t deserve that freelance gig with QAnon I’ve been angling for.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#131 » by amcoolio » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:28 pm

My problem with Tyler wasn't that he knowledgeable but that he would close threads or issue warnings/strikes if he didn't agree with your opinion, particularly if you criticized the Bosh-era Raptors. I got banned by him from the General Board during the Heat/Bobcats playoff series in 2013 for saying "I know a lot of you haven't watched the Bobcats" when trying to defend them, and he banned me saying I was "baiting a fanbase". The Heat fans were trashing our team in that thread and not a peep against them. I was so angry, lol. Howard eventually overturned it. He definitely had a bias against the Charlotte posters.

edit: this was the post :lol: viewtopic.php?p=35278126#p35278126
Just a gem of thread really
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#132 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:32 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I like investing in companies I believe in - this would be one of them. I was half joking but it would be pretty cool

Even if you haven't seen their financials, growth projections, etc?
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#133 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Even if you haven't seen their financials, growth projections, etc?

Nope - it’s all about the “story” and conviction for me at the end of the day
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#134 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:...

Well, like I said, diplomatic but it doesn't surprise me at all that there might be some bits that were above my pay grade here.
BAF Clippers

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#135 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:52 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

g f
Wasn't Hoopshype sold for 7m?
Anyway, IPO wouldn't make much sense, maybe an acquisition

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

Hoopshype made sense at the time. Everyone went to that to start each day to get the news. That was probably before twitter. I mean it linked to all news about the NBA from everywhere.

If realgm had value, it would have been back in the mid 2000s when teams were paying for their stuff. But it still wouldn't have been mass money...something for an IPO or even an acquisition.

Obviously an IPO would take FAR more value and growth projection than RealGM ever had. An acquisition would require anticipated growth too, and I don't see how the company can grow from here unless they did something brand new and did a major overhaul.

They don't seem to spend much time on it if you see all the technical errors that never get fixed on the forums, features that disappeared and the terrible typos in wiretaps.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#136 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Well, like I said, that is the diplomatic version but it doesn't surprise me at all that there are some bits that are above my pay grade here.

Yes, it was around the time you the your moderator group had that all out war about the banning of a poster. Maybe that's not diplomatic enough though. Wasn't there a thread about it on your forum?
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#137 » by gavran » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:Outside of ESPN, Mixmakers was also a forum that was somewhat active for basketball discussion. I was on there before coming on here. Miss it at times.

I came here from Mixmakers as well. I wasn't making mixes. We have a MM legend Pavvy still posting on the Knicks board from time to time.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#138 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Well, like I said, that is the diplomatic version but it doesn't surprise me at all that there are some bits that are above my pay grade here.

Yes, it was around the time you the your moderator group had that all out war about the banning of a poster. Maybe that's not diplomatic enough though. Wasn't there a thread about it on your forum?

Yeah, the mod forum war was like my first two weeks on the team. Wild times. There were two banning incidents in question.

We kind of had a "we're handling it, stand by" approach with our users. IMO, going towards forum bans vs. nuclears was a great piece to come out of that. We lost a lot of good posters over the years because they went and were dumb somewhere else.
BAF Clippers

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#139 » by Capn'O » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

For sure. It's a medium I still enjoy. But it's a dying one.
BAF Clippers

azcatz11
RealGM

Post#140 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:03 pm

Capn'O wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

For sure. It's a medium I still enjoy. But it's a dying one.

I'm on literally 0 SM. I'm not on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.

Return to The General Board