The Clippers' Winning Culture

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Re: The Clippers' Winning Culture 

Post#21 » by Clemenza » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:35 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:The drafting of Blake Griffin started our resurgence, but it took trading him to take it further up the ladder.

Chris Paul is a great player, but I never jived with him personality-wise.

Paul George has definitely redeemed himself after the 2019/20 season and playoffs. He’s not perfect but I enjoy rooting for him and this entire Clipper squad.

He was never loved by his teammates here but Chris brought the intensity and the focus of winning basketball that neither Blake nor DJ ever had. We had it briefly with Sam I Am, but that era passed in the blink of an eye before it had time to take hold in the org. Sam played only one full season here--that magic 2006 campaign--and parts of 2 others, only 176 games total in a Clipper uni.

And BTW, that Odom-Miles-QRich-Maggette-Brand bunch never even had a winning season. Amazing but true. Fool's gold.

As for PG, in writing this series and reviewing Clipper history, I'm appreciating what he's accomplishing more and more, This is not Kawhi's team, and maybe never was.

CP3 is intense but he also stifled and nerfed part of the offense as he over processed the offense, brought it to a crawl, and damn near eliminated the fast breaks and easy scoring opportunities. We had the high flying Blake and DJ in their primes and alot of that was wasted even though we were successful winning wise and always made the post season. I actually think we were "Lob City" before CP3 came. CP3 is a hall of famer no doubt but that team actually needed a run n gun point guard and a different head coach along with a real GM as Doc was doing both jobs at the time. Also there were so many times where we needed points from CP3 and he flat out refused to shoot the ball for some reason. I hear Suns fans mention this as well at times

Also wouldn't call the Brand, Odom, Miles, Richardson fools gold as those teams were fun to watch and had packed crowds. Still had to deal with Sterling and his ineptitude and I believe the team practiced in the hood at LA Southwest College at the time.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#22 » by esqtvd » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:42 pm

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:The drafting of Blake Griffin started our resurgence, but it took trading him to take it further up the ladder.

Chris Paul is a great player, but I never jived with him personality-wise.

Paul George has definitely redeemed himself after the 2019/20 season and playoffs. He’s not perfect but I enjoy rooting for him and this entire Clipper squad.

He was never loved by his teammates here but Chris brought the intensity and the focus of winning basketball that neither Blake nor DJ ever had. We had it briefly with Sam I Am, but that era passed in the blink of an eye before it had time to take hold in the org. Sam played only one full season here--that magic 2006 campaign--and parts of 2 others, only 176 games total in a Clipper uni.

And BTW, that Odom-Miles-QRich-Maggette-Brand bunch never even had a winning season. Amazing but true. Fool's gold.

As for PG, in writing this series and reviewing Clipper history, I'm appreciating what he's accomplishing more and more, This is not Kawhi's team, and maybe never was.

CP3 is intense but he also stifled and nerfed part of the offense as he over processed the offense, brought it to a crawl, and damn near eliminated the fast breaks and easy scoring opportunities. We had the high flying Blake and DJ in their primes and alot of that was wasted even though we were successful winning wise and always made the post season. I actually think we were "Lob City" before CP3 came. CP3 is a hall of famer no doubt but that team actually needed a run n gun point guard and a different head coach along with a real GM as Doc was doing both jobs at the time. Also there were so many times where we needed points from CP3 and he flat out refused to shoot the ball for some reason. I hear Suns fans mention this as well at times

Also wouldn't call the Brand, Odom, Miles, Richardson fools gold as those teams were fun to watch and had packed crowds. Still had to deal with Sterling and his ineptitude and I believe the team practiced in the hood at LA Southwest College at the time.

Again, this is about winning culture. CP has it and his record shows he always did--before and after he played here. BG and DJ never did, nor the Odom-Miles-QRich Clippers. Nor did Elton.

The first year of Kawhi-PG didn't, with their private dressing room and lack of leadership making their teammates better and bringing night-to-night intensity. But fortunately since the Bubble humiliation, PG came back a new man, and Kawhi has followed suit. "Load management" is in the rear-view mirror.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#23 » by TheNewEra » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 pm

5 win streak for the culture
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#24 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:30 pm

The regular season winning culture belongs to Chris.

He was that elite superstar that took you from a solid team to an automatic 50+ wins a year.
I've never seen Blake as that and I never will.

I appreciate Cat Mobley signing here as well. I don't think any other quality NBAer chose the Clippers before him.

Nonetheless, we do play in Los Angeles. After a decade of winning regular seasons, it's time to put up a ring and step into another level of "winning culture". Regular season winning culture doesn't mean much in the twitter era. Wolves fans don't nearly get it as hard as we do for failing all season as compared to when we lose (read: choke) in the playoffs.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#25 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:17 am

Quake Griffin wrote:The regular season winning culture belongs to Chris.

He was that elite superstar that took you from a solid team to an automatic 50+ wins a year.
I've never seen Blake as that and I never will.

I appreciate Cat Mobley signing here as well. I don't think any other quality NBAer chose the Clippers before him.

Nonetheless, we do play in Los Angeles. After a decade of winning regular seasons, it's time to put up a ring and step into another level of "winning culture". Regular season winning culture doesn't mean much in the twitter era. Wolves fans don't nearly get it as hard as we do for failing all season as compared to when we lose (read: choke) in the playoffs.

As a long-suffering Clipper fan from Day One in 1984 and an even longer-suffering Philly fan in all sports, I'll never get bored with winning seasons.

I'll add that the Lakers just went through a lost decade punctuated only by LeBron's win in the least-watched NBA championship in years--the Mickey Mouse Invitational Bubble Tournament--and look poised to be toast as soon as LeBron's 37-year-old body finally gives out for good. Their draft picks are gone and without Bron they are just a bad old lottery team. AD is still just a Pelican at heart and they have another year of Westbrook after this. The rest of the roster is on a one-way ticket to the scrap heap.

The Dodgers' age and payroll have hit a wall so they might be finished as a top contender too. The Angels are a mess and so are the two hockey teams. The Rams are looking vulnerable and I'm not sure Los Angeles has re-embraced them and certainly hasn't embraced the Chargers.

All of which is to say that the Clippers are in pretty good shape in this market with KL and PG signed semi-long term and are working on their 11th straight winning season, which would tie them with the Dodgers. Certainly a title would enhance the brand tremendously, but as long as they stay in the playoff mix, I think their prospects remain bright. Their fans aren't spoiled, like some others.

ICYMI:

Study says that Clippers fans are more supportive than Lakers fans

According to the study, 47% of the comments after a Clippers’ win are positive, while only 41% are positive for the purple and piss. Interestingly enough, Clippers fans are 52% positive after a loss (looking at the glass-half-full) while Lakers fans are 42% positive after a loss.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2021/11/22/lakers-fans-supportive-clippers-fans-study/
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#26 » by TheNewEra » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:21 am

The irony
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#27 » by esqtvd » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:15 am

TheNewEra wrote:The irony

IIRC, ironically the Lakers' attendance stayed near the league best during those lost "Process" years and 5 losing seasons before Bron's arrival and then another with him. I had a big hate on for Lakers fans but I really respected that. I think the fans were ready to stay the course but Bron wasn't.

Lonzo
Kuzma
Ingram
Hart
Caruso

plus a guy named Zubac

I'm not sure the faithful have ever warmed up to Bron's Lakers--and even though I admit he's won my respect as a player, I respect him even less as a person and teammate. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for AD or any of the rest of Bron's Lakers.

Bron won The Disney World Bubble Championship but I think that will be the beginning and end of his Laker legacy. And unlike CP and the Clips, he will most probably leave the Lakers worse off than he found them.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#28 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:43 am

Can't find a better thread to put this in, but this is an interesting stat:

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:09 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Can't find a better thread to put this in, but this is an interesting stat:

Read on Twitter

Yes, exactly. Great post and great stat. I get it. Now please do explain it for everybody else. And why it belongs in this thread about the Clippers' Winning Culture that we all agreed started with Chris Paul...?

Floor's yours. Go for it. Explain.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#30 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:44 am

As a Warrior fan, I remember the 2014 playoffs.
The Warriors scratched and clawed for victories, but the clippers scratched and Clawed for victories right back and won the series.

I still remember dock waivers for the Hawks as a player back when I was a Celtics fan. I always thought that Doc Rivers was a winner. So I was about to say don't forget about Doc Rivers when you talk about winning culture.

But then I'll look at the clippers history and I see that the Clippers turned it around and began winning under Vinny Del Negro. I never did like Vinny Del Negro's defense on the Spurs as a player but he had big shots and his defense was more a matter of not being quick then it was of him not trying.

Then I have a little further back at the clippers losing days and even before Vinny Del Negro the Clippers are putting a good numbers in holding down opponents feel go percentages. The Clippers are making a defensive effort even when their offense was so bad they didn't have a chance to win.

But you have to keep winning culture. it could slip away .
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#31 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:36 pm

Oh, I totally get bored with lost seasons where we aren't winning rings. It's def time for a ring. Maybe in 2012 and 2013 I was juiced to not be in the doldrums anymore. That has long since worn off.

And I doubt it will ever "slip away". We have a great owner, a new facility coming, great scouts etc. etc. The Clippers are a top 10 NBA job for any coach. They're a destination for free agents. For all the **** Ballmer takes about his Microsoft record, I've never heard one person within the Clippers criticize him as a boss. I think most people would like to coach for him and play for his teams. With that said? We're never going back to signing Vinny Del Negro as a stop gap option. We're better than that. We're not looking back.

This is different than a team like say....my Las Vegas Raiders.
Who, if they search for a head coach this offseason, will be looking at the dregs of what the league has to offer while other organizations will be able to pursue the cream of the crop.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#32 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:56 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Oh, I totally get bored with lost seasons where we aren't winning rings. It's def time for a ring. Maybe in 2012 and 2013 I was juiced to not be in the doldrums anymore. That has long since worn off.

And I doubt it will ever "slip away". We have a great owner, a new facility coming, great scouts etc. etc. The Clippers are a top 10 NBA job for any coach. They're a destination for free agents. For all the **** Ballmer takes about his Microsoft record, I've never heard one person within the Clippers criticize him as a boss. I think most people would like to coach for him and play for his teams. With that said? We're never going back to signing Vinny Del Negro as a stop gap option. We're better than that. We're not looking back.

This is different than a team like say....my Las Vegas Raiders.
Who, if they search for a head coach this offseason, will be looking at the dregs of what the league has to offer while other organizations will be able to pursue the cream of the crop.

But even the storied Lakers went through 5 Siberia seasons and were saved only by LeBron gifting them with one of the top players of all time--without even having to trade for him. And I think it's back to Siberia once he's done, sooner rather than later. And Vogel has gone from genius to scapegoat in 13 1/2 months. :lol:

And yes, Dolan's a complete di*ckwad, but the Knicks are still the highest-valued NBA franchise and yet have been garbage for decades now.

Certainly Ballmer's billions and the Clippers being his #1 plaything are a big deal. But if Kawhi had not re-signed, we're looking at a .500 team for the foreseeable future with half our draft picks traded away until the end of the decade. Which at the moment is what we are, let's face it. :-?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers