Player mental health

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Re: Player mental health 

Post#41 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:45 pm

There is also another really sad point to the mental health aspect. The illegitimate claims of it. I have experience of people working the system hiding behind mental health (or just look at my avatar for a prime example) Sociopaths in general will take and use this to their advantage.

Social Media is conditioning people to become victims too. It is pretty crazy, everything in life is becoming boom or bust. It is either the greatest or the worst thing ever. Seems like we have lost the middle ground.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#42 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:15 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Mental health is getting worse for the public as a whole, so IMO it's just an extension of that rather than anything specific going on with the league. No doubt social media plays a part but again that is true for pretty much everybody on those platforms.

If anyone is considering it, I deleted social media about 6 months ago and have been noticeably happier/more productive as a result. Different strokes for different folks but that's been my experience.
I don't really have it and I am generally okay.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#43 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:21 am

styLesdavis wrote:Talking about "mental health" when a player swung at another player because they were down a few points against the pistons might not cut it. There are people who are dealing with heavy forms of depression on a daily basis so "being down on one day" should not be the same.

Don`t get me wrong. "Mental health" is important for everyone who is dealing with it but a depression isn`t something like "having a bad day" or "suffering from a break up".
The problem is there is a forgotten distinction between mental health and mental illness.

Like Katt Williams said "I thought I was crazy until they locked me up with people who were really crazy."

Feeling down is mental health. Paranoid schizophtenia is mental illness. But everybody can claim mental health nobody wants to claim mentally ill.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#44 » by Pharmcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Mental health is getting worse for the public as a whole, so IMO it's just an extension of that rather than anything specific going on with the league. No doubt social media plays a part but again that is true for pretty much everybody on those platforms.

If anyone is considering it, I deleted social media about 6 months ago and have been noticeably happier/more productive as a result. Different strokes for different folks but that's been my experience.

Everyone should delete Facebook and they will see how much better their lives get
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#45 » by Pharmcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:33 am

Rodwilliams wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Can confirm. Getting away from social media has made me much happier and clearer of mind. You don’t even need to delete them per say if you just take it off your phone you won’t have a constant flow of crap hitting you 24/7

Y’all really deleted y’all social media? People also use it to keep in touch with family and friends as well. I do agree that it can be toxic sometimes but if I delete it I would feel like I’m out of the loop, feel like I may miss something.

Just have WhatsApp group with a condition of no politics talk . I know fb owns it but it still fine imo since they aren’t showing you stuff on WhatsApp based on your viewing history like they do on fb. Phone calls, group phone calls, share videos links and pics , what more could one need?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#46 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Mental health is not getting worse than before, people are just more aware of it today. It's like cancer 1000 years ago. People still got cancer back then, they just did not know they actually died from cancer.

Just think about it. Being able to survive during the 1500s. Getting enough food was a huge challenge, having 10 children, 7 of them died before the age of one. Just think of that mental hell. You guys don't think they had mental health problems compared to our society today.

It sounds like you are strictly speaking about 'stress' which is a different argument. Mental health has a lot more to do with cognitive/emotional disfunction than just being sad/scared/angry etc. There are a lot of studies that conclude mental health problems have skyrocketed because we're no longer consumed by survival instincts the way we had been for most of human evolution. There is a growing void in day-to-day life which didn't previously exist.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Balls Deep
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,294

Post#47 » by Balls Deep » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:57 am

Mental illness = weakness, especially if you’re rich.. wtf you crying about? #SOFT
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,377

Post#48 » by Onlytimewilltel » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:12 am

Very smart. I only have LinkedIn now and agree much happier overall. Hardly spend much time on it. And yea sometimes I’m out of loop on “world happenings” but I think that’s for the best with all the bullsh*t news out there today.

You are correct mental health is worse overall as a result of social media it’s just a drastic change for human lifestyle and people can act however they want on there with no perceived consequences however for the person receiving the messages it feels very real and can crush them. So someone that doesn’t even know them, could be a troll, doesn’t give two s*td about them can have a serious impact on some else’s day just for the hell of it or for fun. Yea that’s probably not a recipe for success long term.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#49 » by whitehops » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:28 am

i know there are a decent amount of people that don't have sympathy for celebrities/rich people because they don't have the stress of living paycheque to paycheque. it is true that is not a stressor for them, but can you imagine being rich, famous, people idolizing you and you still feel unhappy/empty inside? and that's almost worse in a way since you have less external things to try to work towards.

i'm just trying to point out health (and mental health) doesn't discriminate, it affects everybody.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#50 » by MotownMadness » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:47 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Mental health is not getting worse than before, people are just more aware of it today. It's like cancer 1000 years ago. People still got cancer back then, they just did not know they actually died from cancer.

Just think about it. Being able to survive during the 1500s. Getting enough food was a huge challenge, having 10 children, 7 of them died before the age of one. Just think of that mental hell. You guys don't think they had mental health problems compared to our society today.

It sounds like you are strictly speaking about 'stress' which is a different argument. Mental health has a lot more to do with cognitive/emotional disfunction than just being sad/scared/angry etc. There are a lot of studies that conclude mental health problems have skyrocketed because we're no longer consumed by survival instincts the way we had been for most of human evolution. There is a growing void in day-to-day life which didn't previously exist.

You know it's funny I was watching a documentary on the uni bomber and he was pretty smart on where human beings were heading with technology. Basically saying we lost are survival instincts.

He was crazy smart but just hated liberals and started bombing professors.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,519

Post#51 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:09 am

MotownMadness wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

You know it's funny I was watching a documentary on the uni bomber and he was pretty smart on where human beings were heading with technology. Basically saying we lost are survival instincts.

He was crazy smart but just hated liberals and started bombing professors.

His ideology wasn't political, believe it or not. Ted was right on the money, that's why he's in the supermax in Florence, Colorado. They don't want people like him out there. The bombs are bad no doubt, but they put him in a place where no one would ever be able to hear him speak or read his words again. Which is a shame because he is a brilliant mind.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#52 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:21 am

The lack of mental toughness exists in large part because most NBA players/professional athletes were coddled, told they were the greatest ever, and had people on their jock their whole life. Then when they encounter a shred of adversity they fold.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#53 » by Papi_swav » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:22 am

For sure. I deleted my IG 3 years ago and my life is soooooo much better. I also promised myself that I wouldn't make another IG until I have a business or something to promote which actually made me apply myself and now I run a business.

Not saying this is the answer for everybody, but deleting social media definitely helped me in so many ways and I'm glad others share that same experience.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#54 » by JN61 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:09 am

Why don't really care. Handle it on your private time. Not when I watch entertainment.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,037

Post#55 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:50 pm

bullsnewdynasty wrote:The lack of mental toughness exists in large part because most NBA players/professional athletes were coddled, told they were the greatest ever, and had people on their jock their whole life. Then when they encounter a shred of adversity they fold.

you realize that a large portion of american players still come from the ghetto and have numerous family members getting killed, jailed or struggle with parents on social assistance right? examples include demar derozan, kawhi leonard, lebron james, paul george, james harden, almost everyone from LA whos dad isnt lavar ball. The two biggest factories of nba talent are LA and chicago..... not exactly the easiest places to live.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#56 » by G35 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:52 pm

fanofthegreats wrote:
G35 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:If we are being honest, Mental health has always been an issue. If we want to know take it seriously, great.

But y’all think Dennis Rodman was mentally healthy? No social media, just drinking drugs women money and guns.

Jordan ain’t mentally healthy either....he just good enough at basketball to cover on his bad gambling addiction..

If y’all want to pretend like the stuff we seeing in the nba is new from a mental health perspective, I’ll play along.....but I know you know I know you know it’s always been like this.....not just nba but all over the world

Yes, we have been always had people with mental instability and we did not always handle it properly...however, imo, we do not raise our children to deal with life challenges like we did in the past.

We point out all the faults that happen in life but we have not built up enough fortitude to deal with setbacks. But that is how we are now. This is exactly the difference between Jordan and Lebron.

As you say, Jordan has a lot of mental issues as well...but how did he handle setbacks on the court? Did he go to social media? What was his reaction after losing over and over to the Pistons...he realized he had to get stronger and tougher, to withstand the challenges of his opponents. Then when Jordan finally overcomes his basketball demons, it showed that persistence, resilience lead to greater success.

Whereas Lebron, when he kept losing to the Celtics, he left and manipulated the system to get what he wanted. So then fans see that and say, "Yeah, why shouldn't he do that...why shouldn't Lebron use his position...his power to get what he wants. The end result was championships, so the end justifies the means."

But what it showed to Lebron and to the general public, is that if something is difficult, you can manipulate the situation to get what you want....immediately. This is what people do on social media...they use it to get immediate gratification, boost self-esteem, and validation. It does not matter how you do it, just do it.

What do you think young people would rather do...develop resilience over time or manipulate their environment immediately.....

:lol: I think Jordan being afforded Horace Grand and Scottie Pippen instead of Mo Williams had more to do with that scenario as opposed to your analysis.

Horace and Scottie were drafted to the Bulls and they were not All Star level players...Lebron is the King of build a bear teams that end up disappointing based on their collective talent. Jordan overachieved with what he was given...can you say the same for Lebron......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#57 » by Pennebaker » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:10 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:it seems to be getting worse and worse by the year. To me, i see a lot of players struggling in this regard whether its malik beasly and wound up in jail, to markelle fultz, to ben simmons, and hell, even lebron james just swung on a player whos name he didnt know because he was crumbling under the pressure of being down to the pistons after getting blown out by boston.

these players are probably under the most pressure you can put an athelte under on an everyday basis, just due to how important 1 or two guys can be on the floor, the money, the negativity on social media and forums, and the 247 sports news cycle. I understand dealing with this is how they make all the money, but can you think ofs anything the players or the league can do to have less guys fall off the rails so often? it seems like the NBA is basically set up to drive players nuts right now, and the money wouldnt be there without it.

There are probably countless players dealing with issues and they are just introverted about it so I can only imagine how widespread this is.

It's not getting worse. More people are opening up about their struggles so it seems like it's getting worse when it's the same, the difference is that it's now public.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,317

Post#58 » by Gusto1903 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:53 am

While Mental Health is a big issue that shouldnt be underestimated, i think another issue is, that nowadays people (not only Athletes or Famous People) tend to refuse to take responsibility for their problems by just saying "thats just my *random mental health term, theyve picked up on the internet*". Same thing with the emerging popularity of zodiac signs. (im not an ****, im just a *insert zodiac sign here*).

While Mental Health is obviously a big issue (and im dealing with it myself aswell), it never should give people a cop out of taking responsibilities for their actions or what ever.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
NbaAllDay
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,605

Post#59 » by NbaAllDay » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:Dont feel any sympathy for nba players mental health. They live a life of luxury and their job is a dream come true to almost anyone who ever picked up a basketball. They dont have the stress of needing money for bills, having to work overtime to make ends meet, etc. They fly city to city where they are treated to luxury and a city and that pays a lot of money to come see them every night. They also can get any woman they want if they arent married in such cities.They can ignore social media if its bothering them (its true, you just dont have to open it up), or go the KD route and just say "you broke" to random idiots who trash them online. Its not a bad life.

This is a really niave way to look at this and just shows how little people understand.

Mental Health does not discriminate. Having what you believe to be a 'better' or easier life is very warped. The irony here is that most 'average' people would crumble if thrown into the same situation as a number of NBA players, especially the stars.

I could list all those reasons but in the end of the day the average person likely wouldnt understand how much much stress increases as you become more popular etc etc. Thankfully most have a strong network that helps.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#60 » by Lalouie » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:36 pm

i think 50% is no will or competitive spirit.

"mental health" is a thing now. some psychiatrist will probably say 60% of the population in the usa go through some mental adversity or other, and probably clinically define people in that way or other. but most of us don't go to psychiatrist and get though it and are happy the next day. with the players,,,if theyre not going through a kevin love thing then its just an excuse

Return to The General Board