LAL-POR (assuming POR starts a rebuild)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

LAL-POR (assuming POR starts a rebuild) 

Post#1 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 pm

LAL: Norman Powell
POR: Talen Horton-Tucker, Kent Bazemore, Wayne Ellington (Both Bazemore and Ellington are included for cap purposes, and will likely be released post trade, or routed to a 3rd team with an open roster spot)

Why for the Lakers - THT is a nice prospect, but his skillset isn't an ideal fit with the Lakers Big 3. Powell slides in as the starting SG and gives the Lakers a plus shooter and defender who can also slid up to SF in small lineups.

Why for Portland - as the title says, this trade assumes Portland decides to rebuild. Basically, the rationale would be getting off the back end of the Powell contract, which will pay him over $20MM in his age 32 season in 4 years from now, while adding a prospect with upside in Talen Horton-Tucker. Clearly, THT is not as good as Powell today, and he might never be, but the financial aspects of this deal are a part of the valuation for Portland.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Re: LAL-POR (assuming POR starts a rebuild) 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm

No for POR.
1- Powell is better than THT and a pair of washed up scrubs doesn’t make up the difference.
2- When’s the last POR has traded with LAL?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#3 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:44 pm

JRoy wrote:No for POR.
1- Powell is better than THT and a pair of washed up scrubs doesn’t make up the difference.

No disagreement that Powell is better than THT, and the min salary guys are cap fillers to make the math work. The premise of this deal is Portland electing to rebuild and valuing getting off the Powell contract. So the value difference is made up financially.

That Powell contract will not be seen as an asset for many teams.

But remember, this trade is [b]BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT PORTLAND DECIDES TO REBUILD[/b] taken outside of this context the trade wont make sense for Portland.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#4 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:49 pm

R-DAWG wrote:

No disagreement that Powell is better than THT, and the min salary guys are cap fillers to make the math work. The premise of this deal is Portland electing to rebuild and valuing getting off the Powell contract.

I disagree.

The Lillard and CJ contracts are an issue but NP is on a pretty solid deal.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#5 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:54 pm

JRoy wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

No disagreement that Powell is better than THT, and the min salary guys are cap fillers to make the math work. The premise of this deal is Portland electing to rebuild and valuing getting off the Powell contract.

I disagree.

The Lillard and CJ contracts are an issue but NP is on a pretty solid deal.

If your rebuilding, you don't want a guy in his prime that's an above average starter at best making close to $20MM per year on your books. Especially on a contract that runs for 4 more seasons after this one and through his age 32 season.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#6 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:12 pm

If POR decides to rebuild, they need to start with Lillard and CJ. Norm is peanuts compared to that and younger too.
Edrees wrote:

R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#7 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:50 pm

JRoy wrote:If POR decides to rebuild, they need to start with Lillard and CJ. Norm is peanuts compared to that and younger too.

Agreed. But this is a conversation about Norm. You state that this value is way off, so please suggest a different situation where a team would be willing to give up more value while also taking on Norm's contract.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#8 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:01 pm

That is not what I said.

I said NP is better than THT and a pair of scrubs doesn’t make up the difference, and that LAL and POR don’t have any real trade history.

I wouldn’t do it all because of the value, and because I don’t want to help LAL and it looks like the Org agrees, considering that lack of history.
Edrees wrote:

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#9 » by Blazinaway » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:04 pm

I'd venture CJ goes well before Powell IF a trade or any kind of rebuild is done, especially if Olshey is fired. Blazers are starting to play better and it appears Dame is rounding into form, at this time I doubt they do any type of "rebuild", more likely they may look to find better "fits" with Chauncey's style of play and that would suggest keeping Nrm and maye trading CJ. Emphatic no for me on this trade proposal
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#10 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:53 pm

Blazinaway wrote:I'd venture CJ goes well before Powell IF a trade or any kind of rebuild is done, especially if Olshey is fired. Blazers are starting to play better and it appears Dame is rounding into form, at this time I doubt they do any type of "rebuild", more likely they may look to find better "fits" with Chauncey's style of play and that would suggest keeping Nrm and maye trading CJ. Emphatic no for me on this trade proposal

You can make a real argument that Portland would be best suited to trade McCollum for a front court player on CJ's level while moving Powell back to his natural SG position. It balances out a lot for Portland, especially backcourt defense.

But trading McCollum in the above referenced scenario is more of a re-tool than a rebuild.
Malapropism
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,411

Post#11 » by Malapropism » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 pm

Even if they are rebuilding, I'm fairly certain Norm Powell can fetch more than this. And the Blazers would be looking for picks, not salary filler. Yes, I'm including THT in that. He's not on a rookie deal and he's not particularly good.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#12 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:56 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:I'd venture CJ goes well before Powell IF a trade or any kind of rebuild is done, especially if Olshey is fired. Blazers are starting to play better and it appears Dame is rounding into form, at this time I doubt they do any type of "rebuild", more likely they may look to find better "fits" with Chauncey's style of play and that would suggest keeping Nrm and maye trading CJ. Emphatic no for me on this trade proposal

You can make a real argument that Portland would be best suited to trade McCollum for a front court player on CJ's level while moving Powell back to his natural SG position. It balances out a lot for Portland, especially backcourt defense.

But trading McCollum in the above referenced scenario is more of a re-tool than a rebuild.

You’re absolutely right.

It’s just tough to find a deal that works for both sides.

Tobias Harris keeps coming up but I hate the idea.
Edrees wrote:

R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#13 » by R-DAWG » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 pm

Malapropism wrote:Even if they are rebuilding, I'm fairly certain Norm Powell can fetch more than this. And the Blazers would be looking for picks, not salary filler. Yes, I'm including THT in that. He's not on a rookie deal and he's not particularly good.

Please provide suggestions of teams that have $12MM in filler expirings plus draft capital who believe they are a Norman Powell away from being a contender?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#14 » by JRoy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:27 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Malapropism wrote:Even if they are rebuilding, I'm fairly certain Norm Powell can fetch more than this. And the Blazers would be looking for picks, not salary filler. Yes, I'm including THT in that. He's not on a rookie deal and he's not particularly good.

Please provide suggestions of teams that have $12MM in filler expirings plus draft capital who believe they are a Norman Powell away from being a contender?

LAL?
Edrees wrote:

ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,955

Re: LAL-POR (assuming PIf Powell OR starts a rebuild) 

Post#15 » by ejftw » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:37 pm

If this is all it takes, I'd offer Bledsoe and Keon Johnson. Bleds is an essential expiring and Keon is a recent first rounder who has shown solid abilities in the GLeague. Though, I'm not sure the Clips FO is as high on Powell as I am
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,886

Post#16 » by JasonStern » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:41 pm

One team is 7-3 the last 10 games, on a 4 game winning streak, and half a game out of having home court advantage.
The other team is 4-6 the last 10 games, below .500, currently out of the playoffs, and has the oldest roster in the league.
I'm not sure you picked the right team to assume should start a rebuild.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#17 » by Soulyss » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:55 pm

If Portland were to enter a rebuild:

Powell could be traded, but not for that LAL pile of ****. Powell is on a solid contract for his value and It would need to be cap relief and picks. THT is already being paid like a veteran, that isn't helpful to Portland.

That said... Portland has... a better record than the Lakers right? Maybe we should be discussing the other possibility. LeGM trading himself somewhere.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,446

Post#18 » by Myth » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 pm

IF Portland is rebuilding, I think we can get better than this, and I don’t see Portland dealing with Lakers unless we feel we are ripping off Lakers. This has been a 40 year boycott. Why help Lakers now?
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#19 » by Brandon-Clyde » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:49 am

Portland also has Simons and Little who I would rather give minutes to if they were to go into rebuild as I believe both have higher ceilings than Tucker. So for the Lakers to get Powell from the Blazers the Lakers would need to send Tucker and their next available 1st
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#20 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 pm

I am much more interested in RoCo if Portland is going to blow it up

If THT is not on the table or Portland doesn't want him, we have a 2027 1st

Nunn, 2 expirings (Mix of Baze, Ellington, DJ, Rondo) and our 2027 1st with little protections (top 3?)

I think Hou gave up a 1st and a protected 1st but now RoCo is an expiring, so he should be worth less. Nunn can also fetch some value

Return to Trades and Transactions