ImageImageImage

Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Re: Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach 

Post#361 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm

So have we done a 180 on this guy? It seems like the team is starting to find its footing and that they're buying in

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#362 » by Hal14 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:So have we done a 180 on this guy? It seems like the team is starting to find its footing and that they're buying in

I guess people are doing a 180 if those are people who completely wrote him off and wanted him fired when we were 2-5.

I'm not one of those people, though.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#363 » by Green89 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:So have we done a 180 on this guy? It seems like the team is starting to find its footing and that they're buying in

He'll really make the leap once he realizes Schroder needs to start over Smart. We only scored 22 in Brown's first game back, in the first quarter, against the worst team in the NBA. We need Schroder's rim pressure and scoring ability in there to start against good teams.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,852

Post#364 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM

Post#365 » by Hal14 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:16 pm

Green89 wrote:

He'll really make the leap once he realizes Schroder needs to start over Smart. We only scored 22 in Brown's first game back, in the first quarter, against the worst team in the NBA. We need Schroder's rim pressure and scoring ability in there to start against good teams.

Ime has said he wants pick a starting five and stick with it.

So the decision of who to start at PG from now on, you're basing it off 1 quarter, of 1 game?

A game that we won in a blowout..

A game that Smart played excellent in.

Oh and that 1 quarter you're basing everything on, and you go out of your way to mention that Brown was back in the lineup but fail to mention that it was his first quarter of his first game back and he was clearly rusty, out of rhythm in the beginning. It wasn't until later in the game Brown got rolling. Hmm, maybe that (as well as Rob being back in the starting lineup after missing a few games so we had 2 guys starting who had both been out for awhile so this group had to get re-adjusted to playing together). Hmm, maybe that had more to do with the slow start offensively than Smart starting over Schroder?

While we had a slow start offensively with just 22 points, we were still winning after 1, holding the Rockets to just 21. Last place team or not, holding a team to 21 in a quarter is very good - maybe we did that because Smart is a better defender than Schroder?

For the game overall, Smart had a +/- of +24, compared to a +7 for Schroder.

Both of them are averaging well over 30 mins a game. It matters less who starts and matters more who is out there in the 4th quarter - that is where the team has had more struggles this season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#366 » by cl2117 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:54 pm

Love to see the team starting to come together. Obviously Tatum has been the driving force more recently, but there have been big improvements beyond just his shot falling. Defensively as a team they've gelled, offensively you're seeing much better ball movement and penetration.

C's have a pretty tough December slate. 10 out of the next 12 are against teams .500 or better starting with the Nets tonight. They've got a tough West Coast road trip bookended by home games against the Sixers and then Bucks/Warriors, plus a marquee matchup on Christmas day against the defending champs.

I expect some hiccups along that stretch, and I know I'm screaming into the void here, but we shouldn't panic as a result of it. There are plenty of things that need to be worked out, but I think this recent stretch has validated Ime's ability to helm a defense first squad (which we've got the chops to be) as well as Tatum's status as an elite cornerstone piece (not that it was in doubt). Jaylen has already shown his all-star credentials carrying us to start the season and Smart/Schroder have bounced back following tough starts.

It's just about bringing it altogether and I'm still confident that Ime can do that as head coach. Guys have bought into their roles more recently and the challenge will be getting them to stay in them through those downswings.Top to bottom I think we've got guys who need to stay in their lane and there is always that temptation to step out of it when things aren't going right (I'm looking at you Smart). Ime's gotta find that rhythm and not let guys freelance, especially in the face of injuries that are sadly inevitable.

I've got faith. We're not good enough to avoid future struggles, but we absolutely have the talent to be an ECF team with upside. It's going to be tough for Udoka to hold the line, but despite a few head scratching moments, I've really liked what I've seen. The talent is there, the pressure is on Ime to put it all together.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Green89
RealGM

Post#367 » by Green89 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Green89 wrote:

So the decision of who to start at PG from now on, you're basing it off 1 quarter, of 1 game?

Oh and that 1 quarter you're basing everything on, and you go out of your way to mention that Brown was back in the lineup but fail to mention that it was his first quarter of his first game back and he was clearly rusty, out of rhythm in the beginning. It wasn't until later in the game Brown got rolling. Hmm, maybe that (as well as Rob being back in the starting lineup after missing a few games so we had 2 guys starting who had both been out for awhile so this group had to get re-adjusted to playing together). Hmm, maybe that had more to do with the slow start offensively than Smart starting over Schroder?

While we had a slow start offensively with just 22 points, we were still winning after 1, holding the Rockets to just 21. Last place team or not, holding a team to 21 in a quarter is very good - maybe we did that because Smart is a better defender than Schroder?

Both of them are averaging well over 30 mins a game. It matters less who starts and matters more who is out there in the 4th quarter - that is where the team has had more struggles this season.

The point was we were excelling on offense through nearly all the games Schroder started, then we play a horrible team the first quarter where we removed Schroder, and struggled to score. He's been better than Smart in all areas this year and deserves to start. Did you miss the conversation a few games ago by Scal and Mike, about how high the winning percentage is when a team leads after the first quarter? Getting off to good starts is critical, and was a pain point last year with this team.
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,902

Post#368 » by Dangit » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:49 am

Not a huge fan of him ... but it is what it is
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#369 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 am

Hal14 wrote:
Green89 wrote:

And this is why +/- and net retting is a terrible stat, because Dennis has been much better

Green89
RealGM

Post#370 » by Green89 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:20 am

About to fall to 3-5 with the Nets loss when Schroder comes off the bench.

We're 7-4 when Schroder starts.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#371 » by tlee324 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:56 am

Ime may not be doing a great job of fixing the problems, but we can't ignore that these problems existed before he showed up too.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#372 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:07 am

it's going to be a long few seasons until he gets fired :(
Hal14
RealGM

Post#373 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:50 am

Green89 wrote:About to fall to 3-5 with the Nets loss when Schroder comes off the bench.

1) correlation does not equal causation
2) Even if he comes off the bench, he still plays heavy minutes. Schroder played 36 minutes tonight!

You're reaching, bruh
Green89
RealGM

Post#374 » by Green89 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:52 am

Hal14 wrote:
Green89 wrote:About to fall to 3-5 with the Nets loss when Schroder comes off the bench.

2) Even if he comes off the bench, he still plays heavy minutes. Schroder played 36 minutes tonight!

You're reaching, bruh

Instead of minutes, you need to look at which lineups perform better on/off the court. Which lineups have better offensive and defensive ratings, etc. We scored just 22 points in the first quarter for 2 straight games, with Schroder not starting. I said after Monday's win even though we beat the Rockets, 22 was not enough to beat good teams. Guess what, 22 was not enough tonight.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#375 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:14 am

Green89 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

You're reaching, bruh

Instead of minutes, you need to look at which lineups perform better on/off the court. Which lineups have better offensive and defensive ratings, etc. We scored just 22 points in the first quarter for 2 straight games, with Schroder not starting. I said after Monday's win even though we beat the Rockets, 22 was not enough to beat good teams. Guess what, 22 was not enough tonight.

Correct. There is so much more to analysis than the face value stats. Those lineup numbers are far more important, and the solution is staring udoka in the face. He won't bench smart though, he seems determined to keep that lineup together despite tons of causal evidence
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#376 » by The Corey's » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:59 am

tlee324 wrote:Ime may not be doing a great job of fixing the problems, but we can't ignore that these problems existed before he showed up too.

He was brought here to fix the problems. He was apparently the stars on this team preferred choice.

I'm not blaming him, it's way too early. However I think we don't need to be making excuses for him either.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#377 » by Triple7 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:41 am

The Corey's wrote:
tlee324 wrote:Ime may not be doing a great job of fixing the problems, but we can't ignore that these problems existed before he showed up too.

He was brought here to fix the problems. He was apparently the stars on this team preferred choice.

I'm not blaming him, it's way too early. However I think we don't need to be making excuses for him either.

I don’t know man. I think the guy is confused. It’s like he doesn’t really know how to utilize his roster properly. How can Jabari suddenly plays after around 5 games of no action. Kanter played great in 7mins, then never got to see any minutes in the 2nd half, despite our struggles in shooting. Guys like Nesmith played good one game, then had a really bad game the next, then given scrub minutes. There are a lot of new coaches that was really good from the get go. To think we should have been better this year, with the upgraded roster. Something needs to change though. I don’t think Ime will get fired anytime soon, unless we go on a 6-8 game losing streak, so maybe the roster needs some major tweaks.
tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#378 » by tlee324 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:35 pm

The Corey's wrote:

Did you see me making excuses?
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#379 » by greenroom31 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 pm

I remain generally pretty happy with Ime. He’s a first time coach putting a new system in place who inherited a highly dysfunctional team. I think people tend to forget or misremember just how ugly things got last season.

Through the first quarter of the season Ime has put in place an effective defense, a team that moves the ball more and sulks and complains to officials less, and as important as any of the above items, has instilled accountability.

We’ve had injury/COVID issues and we lack shooting — our biggest problem and not Ime’s fault. I get the argument that he should play young guys more (really just Pritchard and Nesmith), but they haven’t done much in their time so far, and if you want accountability you can’t give minutes to people who aren’t getting it done. It’s still early — that may turn around and I hope it will.

At this point in the season and taking all the above into consideration I’d grade Ime as a solid “B”.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#380 » by GoGreen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Yea, Ime has been good imo. Doesn't have the best roster, but guys have been playing hard which is a big plus. Biggest knock on him is the Nets game and starting Grant. Did not like that at all. Also wish he'd get rid of double big.

Return to Boston Celtics