ImageImageImage

AOS: BKN 123, BOS 104 (10-9)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Re: AOS: BKN 123, BOS 104 (10-9) 

Post#21 » by Jammer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:25 am

Only Smart and Kanter were ready to play. Parker and Pritch were OK. But the offense was doomed, when running some nice plays, with Tatum 1-9 from 3, Brown 0-8 from 3, Schroder 1-5 from 3, Horford 1-4 from 3 and Grant Williams 2-7 from 3. Nothing worked. Clearly demonstrates this team needs a shooting skill level upgrade.

An alternative view:

Pts. + Rebounds + (0.5 x Assists) + Steals + (0.5 x Blocks) - Missed FGs - (0.5 x Missed Free Throws) - Turnovers - (0.5 x Fouls)

+19 Marcus Smart (36 minutes)
+12 Enes Kanter (7 minutes)

+8.5 Dennis Schroder (36 minutes)
+8 Jabari Parker (16 minutes)
+7 Jaylen Brown (24 minutes)
+7 Jayson Tatum (30 minutes)
+6.5 Grant Williams (22 minutes)
+5.5 Al Horford (24 minutes)
+5 Romeo Langford (23 minutes)
+4 Juan Hernangomez (3 minutes)
+3 Payton Pritchard (4 minutes)

+2 Aaron Nesmith (12 minutes)
0 Bruno Fernando (3 minutes)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,589

Post#22 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:28 am

HOUSTON!! HEHEEHEHEHE
come on back in baby... picking up some good losses for my fantasy team (no team, but Cs positioning long run)!!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#23 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:30 am

NO and Hous two terrible teams are the only 2 to come through for me tonight.

EDIT: GOOD LOOKING OUT TIMBERWOLVES!!!!!!!! btw, edwards beasted in the boxscore all across the board! only saw the last 4 mins so box is all I have.
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#24 » by AgentGreen » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 am

The players just underperformed. If you take in account that Brown, Schroder and Tatum made 8 points less than we are used to it's an easy loss against a team like the Nets.They played themselves out of the game because the shots weren't falling. But you can't let that have an effect on your defensive game as well. They were nowhere close to the defensive team we've seen the last 10 games.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#25 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:32 am

SichtingLives wrote:2008 was the worst thing to happen to this fanbase. False sense of identity. Celtic basketball isn't winning basketball and hasn't been for many decades.

Winning a championship was bad?

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#26 » by Jammer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:37 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:
SichtingLives wrote:2008 was the worst thing to happen to this fanbase. False sense of identity. Celtic basketball isn't winning basketball and hasn't been for many decades.

KG's injury during the 2009 season, and losing Perk and Powe during the 2010 playoffs, were the worst things to happen in the past 20 years. And all three were just Bad Luck, or Simple Misfortune.

But not signing Posey to the full MLE during summer 2007 was pretty stupid, because he might have been enough to make a difference in 2010, and we're talking about another Banner in the rafters (and one not in the Laker rafters).
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#27 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:40 am

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

Tatum was god awful with a -33 for the night. Couldn't get his shot going, didn't transition into a playmaker for others and instead played some bad one on one. Truly ugly game for him after some stellar performances.

Brown was off all night. Added an 0-8 night from behind the arc to Tatum's 1-9 and helped cement the loss. He was the catalyst along with Romeo and Jabari of all people for that run that briefly brought the game back towards respectability, but ultimately he was clearly off due to the hamstring and probably shouldn't have played at all.

Grant and Horford were cold from deep as well despite getting open looks. They both got a tough whistle, including Grant trying to draw some fouls against KD which just led to wide open looks for the Nets. Everyone else was cold from three as well, so it truly was a team effort to get beat that bad. Realistically it should have been a 50 point loss with how poor our defense was at times as well.

Genuinely one of the most unevenly refereed games I've seen in a while. By no means is it why the C's lost, but it helped expand the Nets early lead and the Celtics just crumbled mentally. You could see the frustration boiling over and it was like fighting against quicksand, we just sunk quicker and quicker. Really sickened with Tony Brothers and that entire crew. Glad Doris at least commented on it eventually because I was disappointed with how little mention it got throughout. It just went to show that the rule changes aren't actually making the impact it seemed over the first couple weeks. KD/Harden bailed out a ton to start the game, while the Jay's couldn't buy a whistle.

One of the only things Ime did tonight that I liked was catch a tech. I was calling for it because it felt like something had to be done before things got out of hand and it came probably a quarter too late. C's got away with some fouls early on as well, but the imbalance was obvious.

Ime couldn't refocus the team. Left Kanter rotting on the bench after being one of the only things working on offense. Realistically he shouldn't have let Jaylen stay out there that long with him looking off on both ends of the floor. He allowed the offense to stagnate on the perimeter instead of getting in the paint against a weak defensive frontcourt from Brooklyn. Just a really bad performance from him all the way down to the end of the bench. He probably should have gotten himself tossed just to make a point.

Romeo was a lone bright spot. Thought he did some things well offensively both slashing and shooting the ball. Would have liked to see even more of him and Nesmith in place of Brown in a game that was destined to be a blowout after the first quarter.

This team is going to need to have plenty of resilience if they want to make waves in the playoffs, so we'll see how they respond during the upcoming tough December stretch, but this wasn't just a punch in the mouth it was a full on kick in the teeth.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#28 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:00 am

Kalela wrote:This team just can't shoot in some games. Which is why Ime needs to play Nesmith every game until he learns how to make his shots. You draft a "shooter" and you need shooting, then play him even if he is sucking at the moment.

They can't shoot so throw the career 30 pct shooter who has no other skills out there?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#29 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:01 am

How is it an ass of shame thread if they lose to a superior team?

Despite winning 8 out of 11 games this is a reality check for the Celtics. I believe the Celtics are now 1-9 against Brooklyn over the past two seasons. Brooklyn's a contender and Boston's an average team at best
*Insert witty signature here.*
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#30 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:08 am

people are rightfully mentioning the ays (no j), but IMO al wasn't much better. he was an anchor on d and I don't mean in a good way. guys would get caught on screens and al would be sunk low but couldn't recover for a contest, against a SHOOTING team. like why was he playing them to drive all night? everybody who played real minutes outrebounded him except smart -1 and romeo -2 (tied grant and nesmith didn't get 1 in 12m). Nets had one big in Aldridge (maybe count kd) and al got 4rbs. looked old tonight. didn't have one block or big defensive play to let you know he was in the game.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#31 » by Triple7 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:10 am

I don’t know but i think KD is somewhat inside JT’s head. He can have good scoring games against KD, but when it comes to closing out games against him, he tends to shy away from the moment. KD plus Harden is just too lethal. That duo gives other guys like mills and harris wide open shots everytime. Wish we had dead set shooters like those guys. Harden, KD, mills and aldridge can all shoot. Really tough matchup for us. We can’t go toe to toe with them shooting wise. The least we could have done is punish them inside. Kanter was having a good game. 7pts 5rebs 2blks in 7mins. Ime will always be Ime haha
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#32 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:13 am

Triple7 wrote:I don’t know but i think KD is somewhat inside JT’s head. He can have good scoring games against KD, but when it comes to closing out games against him, he tends to shy away from the moment. KD plus Harden is just too lethal. That duo gives other guys like mills and harris wide open shots everytime. Wish we had dead set shooters like those guys. Harden, KD, mills and aldridge can all shoot. Really tough matchup for us. We can’t go toe to toe with them shooting wise. The least we could have done is punish them inside. Kanter was having a good game. 7pts 5rebs 2blks in 7mins. Ime will always be Ime haha

Lil Ashy can go to...
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#33 » by Triple7 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:14 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:How is it an ass of shame thread if they lose to a superior team?

Despite winning 8 out of 11 games this is a reality check for the Celtics. I believe the Celtics are now 1-9 against Brooklyn over the past two seasons. Brooklyn's a contender and Boston's an average team at best

I agree. They were just a really bad matchup for us. A nightmare matchup actually. Even without Kyrie and Joe harris. Why can’t we even get a guy like mills. A dead set shooter off the bench would be truly great for us.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#34 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:15 am

JT is inside of JT's head. He needs to grow up.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#35 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:16 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:How is it an ass of shame thread if they lose to a superior team?

Down 28 to anyone at home is an AOS
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#36 » by SichtingLives » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:17 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:

If it is the precursor that paves the road for 20,30 -> years of pointlessness then absolutely, thats not what anyone was sold at the time but it is what is happening. Prob still wouldn't be contending anyway but there definitely wouldn't be a perpetual free pass for ownership and management if that blip in time doesn't happen. Made people think we were something we aren't and let complacency sink in
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#37 » by gocelts » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 am

Good example where the Brown and Tatum question gets called. Is their overlapping gameplay creating an unbalanced offense? And What can we do about Tatum sucking ass when his shot isn’t falling? His body language is like he’s totally in orbit and going through the motions at times.

The old “shots weren’t falling” is kind of a cop out from what I saw.

This team still has a loooong way to go.
~gocelts
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#38 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:23 am

GoCeltics123 wrote:

Not really when one team is elite and the other team is a borderline playoff team.
*Insert witty signature here.*
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#39 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:29 am

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:

Not really when one team is elite and the other team is a borderline playoff team.

JB you're my dude but I'm just going to put this simply: I make the threads, I watched this game, this one was an AOS.

Also, Vegas literally favored them to win this game; of course it was a tough game but acting like they had no shot is absurd
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#40 » by Hal14 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:37 am

Exactly.

There's 4 or 5 teams who have a shot at winning the title this year.

The nets are one of them.

we're not.

no shame in losing to a team as good s they are, especially without rob and J-rich.

They're hands down the best team we've played so far.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics