What Would You Give Up for Daniel Theis

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,643

What Would You Give Up for Daniel Theis 

Post#1 » by nzahir » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:12 am

What would you guys give up for Theis?

If he a Positive, neutral, or negative asset?

He is a 6'8 C who is owed 18M for the next 2 seasons after this one

It is hard to judge him this year on Hou, but his adv numbers have been bad from what I have seen

On Boston he was a solid screen setter, an energy guy, seemed like he had a high iq for angles, and could stretch the floor a little bit when he was wide open

I rate him as a neutral to negative asset b/c of the contract

I would personally move 3 expiring vet min guys and 1-2 2nds for him

This would save Hou money now, give them cap flexibility, and give them 1-2 2nds
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,441

Re: What Would You Give Up for Daniel Theis 

Post#2 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:26 am

Saric/ Smith/ lottery protected ( top 14) first?
Something along those lines? :dontknow:
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#3 » by K_chile22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 am

He's still a solid player, just makes absolutely no sense on the roster with how good Sengun has been (on most nights) and with Wood being really bad at the four and Tate being pushed to the three. I think he's about treading water, got a fair value deal. Could be really useful on a bunch of teams. GSW for Looney, Cha for Plumlee and a 2nd, LAL if they can match salary, MIN for Prince all come to mind.

Imagine he or Wood are traded by the deadline, especially if Silas sticks with cutting out the two big lineups as he did today
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,935

Post#4 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:59 am

As a Wolves fan I’d do Prince and a second or two? Could probably twist my arm into Jaylen Nowell too.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,923

Post#5 » by K_chile22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:05 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:As a Wolves fan I’d do Prince and a second or two? Could probably twist my arm into Jaylen Nowell too.
What would it take to make it something like Prince+McLaughlin for Thies+House? That'd be my preferred structure from a rockets standpoint. Rockets need a competent PG

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#6 » by Mike lorenzo » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:18 am

I would want him on Mavs ... WCS / Green for Theis (TPE) /House..Houston saves his salary, and gets a prospect who needs a fresh start
1+1=11
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,935

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:32 am

K_chile22 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:As a Wolves fan I’d do Prince and a second or two? Could probably twist my arm into Jaylen Nowell too.
What would it take to make it something like Prince+McLaughlin for Thies+House? That'd be my preferred structure from a rockets standpoint. Rockets need a competent PG

Due to Russell’s and Beverley’s injury track records trading McLaughlin is a tough sell. Should one of them miss time it’s the point Nowell, Beasley, or Wright show which wouldn’t be ideal. Maybe throw in Layman and Augustine (unless he’s totally useless nowadays—I admittedly haven’t watched much of the Rockets).
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#8 » by shangrila » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:03 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:

Due to Russell’s and Beverley’s injury track records trading McLaughlin is a tough sell. Should one of them miss time it’s the point Nowell, Beasley, or Wright show which wouldn’t be ideal. Maybe throw in Layman and Augustine (unless he’s totally useless nowadays—I admittedly haven’t watched much of the Rockets).

In the interest of honesty, McLaughlin has looked like crap this season too. So not sure if acquiring him would give the Rockets any sort of "competent" PG play, although he is probably better than the nothing they're running with right now. But maybe if we had some sort of follow up deal in the works for a different PG then sure.

Prince for Theis and House works financially. Throw in a couple of 2nds (maybe best 2 of the 3 we have this season?) and that seems like something that could work for both teams.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#9 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:28 am

nothing hes a low end role player.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
tcheco
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#10 » by tcheco » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:16 pm

He won't net you a first, but can help teams for 15 minutes a game.
You can try to get a rotation player and a second for him?

Just don't see him helping much in the playoffs with his current form.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,411

Post#11 » by shrink » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:16 pm

shangrila wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:What would it take to make it something like Prince+McLaughlin for Thies+House? That'd be my preferred structure from a rockets standpoint. Rockets need a competent PG

In the interest of honesty, McLaughlin has looked like crap this season too. So not sure if acquiring him would give the Rockets any sort of "competent" PG play, although he is probably better than the nothing they're running with right now. But maybe if we had some sort of follow up deal in the works for a different PG then sure.

Prince for Theis and House works financially. Throw in a couple of 2nds (maybe best 2 of the 3 we have this season?) and that seems like something that could work for both teams.

Yes, I’ve been surprised he’s looked bad, but I am going to attribute it to small sample size. “Competency” has been one of his best features his first two years.

I also wanted to mention that I appreciate it when a poster here gives negative inside info. Despite the name of the forum, we aren’t the real GM’s, so I think this kind of honesty helps get us closer to realistic deals, rather than fans who give us a bunch of half truths to increase the perception of the trade value of “their” players, like a used car salesman.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#12 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm

I'd love him back in Boston. Juancho and 2nds would be my best offer. Think he'd really fit in well with Udoka's style and round out the front court rotation nicely (plus insurance for Horford/Timelord).

I'd much rather go after Wood if he's available at some stage. Think he'd pair really nicely with Robert Williams longer term. What's his market rate?
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#13 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:57 pm

Just at first glance I’d take the player for a some seconds, but when you factor in the length of his contract (FOUR guaranteed years) I have him as a negative value player for sure. At least to a team that figures to be in the luxury tax over that span, which as a Celtics fan is my main perspective. You just can’t be paying a guy like Theis that money for that long. That caliber of player (non needle moving role player) is one you sacrifice quality for financial savings for.
cl2117
General Manager

Post#14 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Just at first glance I’d take the player for a some seconds, but when you factor in the length of his contract (FOUR guaranteed years) I have him as a negative value player for sure. At least to a team that figures to be in the luxury tax over that span, which as a Celtics fan is my main perspective. You just can’t be paying a guy like Theis that money for that long. That caliber of player (non needle moving role player) is one you sacrifice quality for financial savings for.

I believe it's only 3 guaranteed years with a club option for the 4th. And I think he's a very moveable contract.

Assume you trade for him for the rest of this year and then worst case it doesn't work out and you've got him on 2/18. I think you'd be able to dump that no problem if you wanted to save money.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,525

Post#15 » by HornetJail » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:37 pm

Plumdog and 2 2nds. Theis isn't THE answer, but but someone who can help us now until we acquire a real center and make him a backup. Plumdog doesn't belong in a rotation anymore.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#16 » by ZombieKilla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Theis is a good player and he could help a playoff team.
The 2 big lineup just does not work for the Rockets because there is no spacing.
Wood is much better at C than PF and the Rockets are likely keeping him unless the offer is outstanding.
I think the Rockets would like to get a PG back in a Theis trade (Tyus Jones?)
Or a consolidation trade that opens up a roster spot to convert Mathews to a regular NBA contract.
(Theis + House, Gordon, Nwaba or Augustine.)
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#17 » by Resistance » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:27 pm

If Houston decides to move on from Theis, reducing the future guaranteed money should be the primary driver with incoming compensation as a secondary consideration.

Theis
2021-22 Contract details by year 29 $8,280,351
2022-23 Contract details by year 30 $8,694,369
2023-24 Contract details by year 31 $9,108,386
2024-25 Contract details by year 32 $9,522,404 -- TO

Plumlee
2021-22 Contract details by year 31 $8,137,500
2022-23 Contract details by year 32 $8,525,000 -- 022: Originally fully guaranteed, amended to 50% guaranteed, fully guaranteed if not waived on or before the later of (i) 10 days prior to 2022 moratorium or (ii) 10 days after final game of 2021-22 season

Saric
2021-22 Contract details by year 27 $8,510,000
2022-23 Contract details by year 28 $9,240,000

Yes, the above is a hint at a three team trade with Phoenix sending modest compensation to Houston. Maybe Charlotte sends minor compensation to Houston.

Plumlee --> Phoenix
Saric --> Houston
Theis --> Charlotte

Phoenix -- Gets a bit of production from Plumlee while reducing guaranteed salary for 2022-23

Charlotte -- Takes on the extra guaranteed salary of Theis with the expectation of increased production over what Plumlee has been providing

Houston -- Gets out of the third guaranteed year owed to Theis
cl2117
General Manager

Post#18 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:57 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:Plumdog and 2 2nds. Theis isn't THE answer, but but someone who can help us now until we acquire a real center and make him a backup. Plumdog doesn't belong in a rotation anymore.

Love his fit for you guys. He'll do a bit of everything and won't get in the way of the positive stuff you've already got going. Definitely not the answer, but he's a really good stop gap solution that can slide into the backup role no problem when you find it. Plus if you're overachieving at other positions he is good enough to get by with in a playoff series or two. You won't have a guy dragging you down when Lamelo et. al are running really hot.

If the price is just seconds, I think Hornets should jump all over that.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#19 » by Xman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Theis and House for plum, Thor, Bos 2nds in 2023 and 2024. I like Thor though.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#20 » by ThatBoyNick » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:41 pm

nzahir wrote:but his adv numbers have been bad from what I have seen

He plays for the Rockets, lol. It's really really hard to have good advanced stats on the worst team in the league. If you look at players who switch from really bad teams to really good teams (or vice versa) you will see the impact that has on advanced stats.

That being said, in my opinion, his value would probably be a worthless expiring player and a mediocre 2nd

I don't see why Houston would trade him, if we trade anybody it should be someone with some value, like Wood. Theis is a fine vet to keep around and it's not like moving him nets us anything worthwhile anyways.

Return to Trades and Transactions