ImageImageImageImageImage

FVV on All The Smoke

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Re: FVV on All The Smoke 

Post#41 » by Gold Dragon » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:55 am

What a treasure trove of an interview with lots of stuff I don't think we have heard before
- childhood, step dad being a cop, learning basketball playing against older brothers who literally beat up on him
- highschool loyalty
- recruitment into college, getting disrespected but loving the respect of Wichita St
- tournament and why he stayed 4 years
- NBA recruitment and his reaction to finding out he may go undrafted, response to Toronto
- reaction to Demar being traded and respect for him
- initial reaction to Kawhi and intimidation he brought to the team
- how the playoffs after the philly series was a pivot point in his career
- approach to most recent contract and self worth, sense of relief, sacrifices worth it
- playing every game like it might be his last with a focus of doing whatever it takes to win
- journey of players like SJax and Matt Barns and Fred from G-league working to have long careers in the NBA and the special drive they have compared to some high draft picks
alfie123
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#42 » by alfie123 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 am

Gold Dragon wrote:What a treasure trove of an interview with lots of stuff I don't think we have heard before
- childhood, step dad being a cop, learning basketball playing against older brothers who literally beat up on him
- highschool loyalty
- recruitment into college, getting disrespected but loving the respect of Wichita St
- tournament and why he stayed 4 years
- NBA recruitment and his reaction to finding out he may go undrafted, response to Toronto
- reaction to Demar being traded and respect for him
- initial reaction to Kawhi and intimidation he brought to the team
- how the playoffs after the philly series was a pivot point in his career
- approach to most recent contract and self worth, sense of relief, sacrifices worth it
- playing every game like it might be his last with a focus of doing whatever it takes to win
- journey of players like SJax and Matt Barns and Fred from G-league working to have long careers in the NBA and the special drive they have compared to some high draft picks

It’s cool how much props they gave him.
Those dudes are old school.
ILIKEBASKETSBALL
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,876

Post#43 » by seanbig » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:42 am

bbalnation wrote:
Chandan wrote:ewww for going on that show.\
Sjax and Matt barnes are clowns

Uh? Versus what shows? Hearing the "professional" opinion of non athletes or people who haven't played at an NBA level? Their perspective goes beyond x's and o's (which they also objectively have more experience in), that's the point.

They may have their personal lives, past mistakes, attitudes, characteristics, etc. but who doesn't? I appreciate their candor personally. Calling anybody a clown as you hide behind your keyboard on an alias is questionable behavior at best.

Sjax has gone through a lot in the last couple years, and hes used his platform & trauma to drive positive social change for Black people (and people in general) in America.

Don't get me wrong. Non-NBA player analysts have a role too. But they've taken up far too much space, and recklessly, partly by insulting any player who tries to speak their minds. That's why I appreciate respectful analysts like Zach Lowe and William Lou, who bring insight, humor and a sense of collaboration with the people they're speaking with.

Caught this before. Thanks for sharing OP. Fred is a real one.

I gotta give props for will Lou who works fcuking hard

With a post game pod even when it’s 1am on your east side and writes 10 things

Love hearing him and Blake it’s like woj and Zach Lowe

and Alex wong is the lazy Asian bill Simmons lol
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
blaateeee
Junior
And1: 121

Post#44 » by blaateeee » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pm

bbalnation wrote:
yyzsportsjunky wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
Uh? Versus what shows? Hearing the "professional" opinion of non athletes or people who haven't played at an NBA level? Their perspective goes beyond x's and o's (which they also objectively have more experience in), that's the point.

They may have their personal lives, past mistakes, attitudes, characteristics, etc. but who doesn't? I appreciate their candor personally. Calling anybody a clown as you hide behind your keyboard on an alias is questionable behavior at best.

Sjax has gone through a lot in the last couple years, and hes used his platform & trauma to drive positive social change for Black people (and people in general) in America.

Don't get me wrong. Non-NBA player analysts have a role too. But they've taken up far too much space, and recklessly, partly by insulting any player who tries to speak their minds. That's why I appreciate respectful analysts like Zach Lowe and William Lou, who bring insight, humor and a sense of collaboration with the people they're speaking with.

Caught this before. Thanks for sharing OP. Fred is a real one.

Umm..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexreimer/2020/07/08/stephen-jackson-sadly-doubles-down-on-anti-semitism-in-abhorrent-instagram-video/?sh=7e4aabe0152a

I dont understand, what are you posting? Read the paragraph above the one you bolded.

Then, read the article, and the apologies that Stephen gave. He had learning and unlearning to do, during a time when he was grieving a trauma that was publicized worldwide. I do not agree whatsoever with what he said. In an ideal world, it wouldn't be athletes, comedians, celebrities, etc speaking up against systems that have been created over generations to benefits certain classes of people and a gender more than others.

But alas, we're here. This is our reality (in my opinion, from the lens I see it, based off my knowledge, lived experiences, etc). Your view point of reality could be very different. And good for you. But you're an active advocate against people who are trying to make their bread, tell their story, and make some positive social impact.

But let's not get this twisted: using your platform for good can be exhausting and it takes strategy to execute well. And he isn't doing such a bad job. Look at the policy & advocacy progress he made with George Floyd, may he rest in peace.

I've given you all the energy I'd like. Good job with the "umm", then providing a link with 0 context though.

Not going to go back and forth with you, appreciate your response.. I just took issue painting SJAX in a positive light after his comments backing Desean Jackson. The level of ignorance needed to post and/or agree with that propaganda is immense. Anyway, he did apologize, but it still really bothers me.
10giz
Senior
And1: 661

Post#45 » by 10giz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:37 am

He really has a beautiful story.

This guy represents everything I love about this franchise.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,387

Post#46 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:19 pm

I kill a hobo every time I read a generational wealth argument on realgm. I have many notches on my belt.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
brownbobcat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,153

Post#47 » by brownbobcat » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:13 pm

Los_29 wrote:What?????

You can put all of that 18 million in blue chip dividend stocks and collect $700k a year while never even touching the principle amount. Meanwhile, that principle amount will continue to get bigger and bigger every year. If people are smart that kind of money could last like hundreds of years. :lol:

It's not $18 million after taxes, agent commission and other fees. Still a nice chunk of money, don't get me wrong - but more like $8 mil.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,745

Post#48 » by Los_29 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:12 pm

brownbobcat wrote:

You can put all of that 18 million in blue chip dividend stocks and collect $700k a year while never even touching the principle amount. Meanwhile, that principle amount will continue to get bigger and bigger every year. If people are smart that kind of money could last like hundreds of years. :lol:

It's not $18 million after taxes, agent commission and other fees. Still a nice chunk of money, don't get me wrong - but more like $8 mil.

Yeah for sure, that's true. But even at $8 million you'd never have to work again and could live off that interest and never touch the principle amount.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,969

Post#49 » by ontnut » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:51 am

Los_29 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:

Yeah for sure, that's true. But even at $8 million you'd never have to work again and could live off that interest and never touch the principle amount.

Depends on the lifestyle you want to lead. Listen man, stuff is getting very expensive. A detached family home in Toronto proper is running you $2 mil, the kind of house FVV would get would be at least $3mil. A cottage is another mil or two. Assuming he'll want to take care of his immediate family, so that might be another mil or two to get his fam setup. So let's say conservatively $5mil for all of that. Private school and university for your kid could easily reach into the $500k levels over the one child's whole education, multiply that by the number of kids. That's another mil. That's $6 mil out of 8 that is spent (*assuming he's not taking on a mortgage for the house, which in this environment he actually should take the mortgage). So he'd have $2mil to invest and live off of. $2mil is a lot of money to the average person yes, but it's NOT generational wealth. The house/cottage will eventually increase in value, but unless you're moving to a city with a lower cost of living/housing, you're still going to have to buy another property eventually. He can certainly do well on investments and his other side businesses, but that alone isn't going to guarantee his grandchildren and great grandchildren can live comfortably in their own homes, go to school without worry of tuition, etc. With the $80 mil contract, now we're talking. Those are the numbers that will allow many future generations to live worry free, if he invests his money correctly.

$8 mil after taxes would allow all of us on RGM to live our current lifestyles more than comfortably, so don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon with that kind of money. But I'm assuming we all would prefer to have a little more cushy of a lifestyle if we could, and I think for the average person, they'd be looking at well over $10mil after taxes in order to fulfill their dreams for themselves, and future generations.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,745

Post#50 » by Los_29 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 am

ontnut wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
brownbobcat wrote:It's not $18 million after taxes, agent commission and other fees. Still a nice chunk of money, don't get me wrong - but more like $8 mil.

Depends on the lifestyle you want to lead. Listen man, stuff is getting very expensive. A detached family home in Toronto proper is running you $2 mil, the kind of house FVV would get would be at least $3mil. A cottage is another mil or two. Assuming he'll want to take care of his immediate family, so that might be another mil or two to get his fam setup. So let's say conservatively $5mil for all of that. Private school and university for your kid could easily reach into the $500k levels over the one child's whole education, multiply that by the number of kids. That's another mil. That's $6 mil out of 8 that is spent (*assuming he's not taking on a mortgage for the house, which in this environment he actually should take the mortgage). So he'd have $2mil to invest and live off of. $2mil is a lot of money to the average person yes, but it's NOT generational wealth. The house/cottage will eventually increase in value, but unless you're moving to a city with a lower cost of living/housing, you're still going to have to buy another property eventually. He can certainly do well on investments and his other side businesses, but that alone isn't going to guarantee his grandchildren and great grandchildren can live comfortably in their own homes, go to school without worry of tuition, etc. With the $80 mil contract, now we're talking. Those are the numbers that will allow many future generations to live worry free, if he invests his money correctly.

$8 mil after taxes would allow all of us on RGM to live our current lifestyles more than comfortably, so don't get me wrong, I'd be over the moon with that kind of money. But I'm assuming we all would prefer to have a little more cushy of a lifestyle if we could, and I think for the average person, they'd be looking at well over $10mil after taxes in order to fulfill their dreams for themselves, and future generations.

Yeah I agree that buying a nice house in Toronto and then a nice cottage in Muskoka would use up a big chunk of 8 million. But that's not something you have to do and you can certainly live very well without having to buy all of that. FVV can park $8 million in index funds and get an average annual return of 8-10%. That's $640-800k a year. I know you would be taxed on that and you'd also have to rent or buy property to live in but still, he'd be living a very nice life while barely eating up that principle amount. $8 million if it's invested properly could be $25-30 million in 25 years.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,969

Post#51 » by ontnut » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Los_29 wrote:
ontnut wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Yeah I agree that buying a nice house in Toronto and then a nice cottage in Muskoka would use up a big chunk of 8 million. But that's not something you have to do and you can certainly live very well without having to buy all of that. FVV can park $8 million in index funds and get an average annual return of 8-10%. That's $640-800k a year. I know you would be taxed on that and you'd also have to rent or buy property to live in but still, he'd be living a very nice life while barely eating up that principle amount. $8 million if it's invested properly could be $25-30 million in 25 years.

Yeah, that's IF the index funds pay out like that, which they may not. If the market crashes, he's fully at risk of losing a huge percentage of his portfolio since he's not diversified into real estate or other investments. It's risky. What if he invests that $8 and takes a 20% haircut? Who knows where inflation is going to go too (cost of housing in major cities is way beyond inflation, and possibly higher than the ROR on that index fund). Also I think indexes average around 7% gains annually, though of course you'd probably pull some decent divdends. There's a lot of things to take into account on the periphery. Sure, he and future generations could live a comfortable middle class life on that kind of money if it was all invested and giving nice returns, so that would be the definition of generational wealth...but I think for most people the bar would be a bit higher than that for them to feel completely secure for generations. Anyway, it's a moot point, he'll have made over $100mil after this contract is up, so...he's got that on lock now lol. And good for him. I'm working on uh....a couple percentage points of that LMAO.

Return to Toronto Raptors