Center Options

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,456

Re: Center Options 

Post#461 » by GoBobs » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:40 pm

BigSlam wrote:
fatlever wrote:What we really need is (cut) a center that is a two-way player, capable of playing in our switchable defense to end games as well as not being an anchor on the offense or a liability in any particular area.

Thankfully we can head out back to the “center that is a two-way player, capable of playing in our switchable defense to end games as well as not being an anchor on the offense or a liability in any particular area” tree and shake a few of those loose for us.

Because those types of centres grow on trees.

:wink:

There might not be any centre in the entire league today who fits that category.

Maybe Davis (if you consider him a centre).

Bam
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 861

Post#462 » by Chapelchilla » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 pm

We would be terrible if we traded Hayward this year. Just like last year when he went down, so did the team. His Efficient playmaking, steady scoring ability, glue guy status and leadership should not be underrated.
PJ is the right guy to trade, we don't want or need a 25 million dollar guy at center in 2021. Plumlee and Zeller would have actually been fine.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,561

Post#463 » by fatlever » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:26 pm

BigSlam wrote:
fatlever wrote:What we really need is (cut) a center that is a two-way player, capable of playing in our switchable defense to end games as well as not being an anchor on the offense or a liability in any particular area.

Thankfully we can head out back to the “center that is a two-way player, capable of playing in our switchable defense to end games as well as not being an anchor on the offense or a liability in any particular area” tree and shake a few of those loose for us.

Because those types of centres grow on trees.

:wink:

There might not be any centre in the entire league today who fits that category.

Maybe Davis (if you consider him a centre).
I'm not asking for the moon, just an upgrade for PJ. Notice I started the entire conversation by saying I wish we still had 2016 Marvin Williams as a small-ball center who was a two-way player and didn't tank our offense but could also play in the last 6 minutes of a game at Center.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#464 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm

GoBobs wrote:Bam

Good call.

So that's 2.

Davis and Bam.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#465 » by BigSlam » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:42 pm

fatlever wrote:I'm not asking for the moon, just an upgrade for PJ. Notice I started the entire conversation by saying I wish we still had 2016 Marvin Williams as a small-ball center who was a two-way player and didn't tank our offense but could also play in the last 6 minutes of a game at Center.

That's funny - because I had mentioned Williams the other day in a GT.

Agreed - he would be a great small ball 5 playing spot mins in today's NBA, but not a full time solution because the plethora of real sized 5's would kick his ass.
B B M F 'ers
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,928

Post#466 » by JDR720 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Myles Turner
Harrell
Nurkic
Isaiah Stewart
Precious Achiuwa
Trey Lyles
Chris Boucher

Considering salary, and considering we likely wouldn't trade Rozier or Gordon, I think Oubre is our most likely trade bait. PJ doesn't make enough salary to be traded by himself, we'd be limited to cheap vets and rookie contracts.

PJ + Oubre can probably get us a pretty solid package though.

But I think the most likely scenario is nothing. We'll stick with Richards/PJ.
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,690

Post#467 » by MPM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:45 pm

I think we're wasting our time dithering over bigs that are either ungettable or, funnily, non existent (the mystery rim running, rebounding big that can play D). There are only a couple of realistic options in the league via trade - the Nets have decided not to play Claxton (non-diagnosed illness in early Nov?), Bamba still seems a tad redundant for a losing Magic team with WCJ, etc. I would personally trade PJ for Bamba straight up yesterday.
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#468 » by Roll Tide 09 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:51 pm

The easiest trade with the absolute highest return would involve both Washington and Hayward…and perhaps even Bouknight as a package.

I would like to go big if we start trading away more than Washington.

ROZIER IS COMPLETELY OFF THE TABLE.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#469 » by MPM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:56 pm

Roll Tide 09 wrote:The easiest trade with the absolute highest return would involve both Washington and Hayward…and perhaps even Bouknight as a package.

I would like to go big if we start trading away more than Washington.

ROZIER IS COMPLETELY OFF THE TABLE.

It's weird. We're 12-8. We're not dying for an all-star big. We just need someone to fill the Mason sized hole. PJ alone should be able to get us what we need.

EDIT: In 2K22, the Suns inexplicably just traded me Ayton for a package of picks and young talent, so I'm pretty sure that's what we should do. It's working out BTW :D
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#470 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:18 am

If PJ had been healthy all season and played for another team, I think he'd be at the top of these lists of ideal targets. I honestly don't get the urgency to move him.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#471 » by Diop » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:01 am

Frank Kaminsky
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#472 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:30 am

Diop wrote:Frank Kaminsky

stopitgetsomehelp.gif
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#473 » by Diop » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:55 am

SWedd523 wrote:
Diop wrote:Frank Kaminsky

stopitgetsomehelp.gif

In true frank fashion he inexplicably lead phoenix with 30 points against a full strength Portland team, I’m sure he will follow it up with a string of 12% shooting games.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#474 » by Goodecharlotte » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:42 pm

How Is Claxton defensively can he rebound and basically defend the interior. All I've really see him do is dunk the ball so I'm intrigued to see what else he can do?
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#475 » by Roll Tide 09 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:18 pm

yosemiteben wrote:If PJ had been healthy all season and played for another team, I think he'd be at the top of these lists of ideal targets. I honestly don't get the urgency to move him.

You’re telling the truth. The problem is that his issue is that he needs a new team because it appears that his effort and enthusiasm for this team has run its course…creating dead weight.

IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#476 » by MPM » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:26 pm

Goodecharlotte wrote:How Is Claxton defensively can he rebound and basically defend the interior. All I've really see him do is dunk the ball so I'm intrigued to see what else he can do?

He's a very good inside-out defender, athletic, not a great rebounder, poor FT shooter. Would be a nice get if the asking price were right, even if I far prefer someone like Bamba.

From a recent article in Post:

"For stretches of last season, Claxton was Brooklyn’s best defender, leading them in both defensive rating (102.1) and net rating (12.3), finishing fourth in plus-minus (plus-157).

Of all players to appear in at least 25 games and average 15 minutes last season, Claxton’s defensive rating was the sixth-best in the entire league. The quintet ahead of him are all known for their work on that end of the floor — Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley Jr., Georges Niang, Alex Caruso and Mike Muscala."
Foice
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#477 » by Foice » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:55 pm

I like. Thomas Bryant. He's contract end this season and should be cheap trade for him. He have injured issues but if he can stay health, i think will be a good option. He is young and could develop more

(English is not my first language, so sorry any mistake)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#478 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Roll Tide 09 wrote:The problem is that his issue is that he needs a new team because it appears that his effort and enthusiasm for this team has run its course…creating dead weight.

It really feels like you're using your knowledge of his personal life to judge him. I don't see any effort or enthusiasm issue with him when he plays.
Goodecharlotte
Sophomore
And1: 121

Post#479 » by Goodecharlotte » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks MPM, he's only young so could show a lot of improvement on ft % and rebounding especially if he put a bit of muscle on. It would all depend on what we'd have to give up for him
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#480 » by BigSlam » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Foice wrote:I like. Thomas Bryant. He's contract end this season and should be cheap trade for him. He have injured issues but if he can stay health, i think will be a good option. He is young and could develop more

(English is not my first language, so sorry any mistake)

You’re post was excellent. Thanks for contributing.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets