LAL-POR (assuming POR starts a rebuild)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Re: LAL-POR (assuming POR starts a rebuild) 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:47 pm

nzahir wrote:I am much more interested in RoCo if Portland is going to blow it up

If THT is not on the table or Portland doesn't want him, we have a 2027 1st

Nunn, 2 expirings (Mix of Baze, Ellington, DJ, Rondo) and our 2027 1st with little protections (top 3?)

I think Hou gave up a 1st and a protected 1st but now RoCo is an expiring, so he should be worth less. Nunn can also fetch some value

No thanks from POR.

If we decide to blow it up we’ll be looking for a package other than scrubs and a pick 5 years out.

Plus dont want to help LAL.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,553

Post#22 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:05 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Malapropism wrote:Even if they are rebuilding, I'm fairly certain Norm Powell can fetch more than this. And the Blazers would be looking for picks, not salary filler. Yes, I'm including THT in that. He's not on a rookie deal and he's not particularly good.

Please provide suggestions of teams that have $12MM in filler expirings plus draft capital who believe they are a Norman Powell away from being a contender?

Philly should be. Chicago perhaps. That’s just off the top of my head, but I think the market for Powell is teams that want to contend next 4 years not just this year, so it should be a pretty big market.

Simply offering to take on a good player to help the other team isn’t really how the trade market has ever worked.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,095

Post#23 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm

I think Denver should be all over Norm if he’s made available and they aren’t throwing in the towel
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#24 » by nzahir » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 am

JRoy wrote:
nzahir wrote:I am much more interested in RoCo if Portland is going to blow it up

Nunn, 2 expirings (Mix of Baze, Ellington, DJ, Rondo) and our 2027 1st with little protections (top 3?)

I think Hou gave up a 1st and a protected 1st but now RoCo is an expiring, so he should be worth less. Nunn can also fetch some value

No thanks from POR.

If we decide to blow it up we’ll be looking for a package other than scrubs and a pick 5 years out.

I guess I kinda understand POR not helping LAL, especially if POR was contending, but not that much if they were blowing it up

A pick in 6 years when Bron is retired and AD is either gone/retired/maybe an all star is pretty good

Better than a lot of late 1sts that will be avalable in 1-2 years

Portland just doesn't have enough come playoff time and the new rules will make it even harder for Dame

They are on the tradmill, if they are serious about competing they need to make real moves
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,407

Post#25 » by JRoy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:08 am

nzahir wrote:
JRoy wrote:

No thanks from POR.

I guess I kinda understand POR not helping LAL, especially if POR was contending, but not that much if they were blowing it up

A pick in 6 years when Bron is retired and AD is either gone/retired/maybe an all star is pretty good

Portland just doesn't have enough come playoff time and the new rules will make it even harder for Dame

They are on the tradmill, if they are serious about competing they need to make real moves

No thanks from POR.

Not wanting to deal with LAL is independent of the state of the franchises.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,455

Post#26 » by Myth » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:04 am

nzahir wrote:
JRoy wrote:

No thanks from POR.

For Portland fans, not trading with Lakers isn’t just about competition. When Blazers are in rebuild mode and suck, they get by via hoping the Lakers suck too. The worst season for us is a combo of Blazers sucking and Lakers being successful.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,655

Post#27 » by toooskies » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:52 am

The missing fundamental for the OP, if it isn't clear, is that while the value of Powell to Portland may drop in a rebuild to the level where they'd take this if it were the only offer... There would be better offers. The Cavs could use a wing scorer with Sexton out and Powell would be attractive.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#28 » by R-DAWG » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:50 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Malapropism wrote:Even if they are rebuilding, I'm fairly certain Norm Powell can fetch more than this. And the Blazers would be looking for picks, not salary filler. Yes, I'm including THT in that. He's not on a rookie deal and he's not particularly good.

Please provide suggestions of teams that have $12MM in filler expirings plus draft capital who believe they are a Norman Powell away from being a contender?

Philly should be. Chicago perhaps. That’s just off the top of my head, but I think the market for Powell is teams that want to contend next 4 years not just this year, so it should be a pretty big market.

Simply offering to take on a good player to help the other team isn’t really how the trade market has ever worked.

In theory, Philly could do Danny Green plus a 1st for Powell. If Simmons comes back, you have Simmons play the 3 defensively with a Curry/Powell backcourt. Philly is eligible to trade their pick this year, and if they did, could still trade their 2023 pick and 2029 pick in the offseason. And historically, Daryl Morey hasn't been shy trading draft picks at the deadline for roster upgrades. But he also likes going big game hunting, and I'm not sure Norman Powell fits that bill, or if he wants that contract on the books with 3 other max players in Embid-Harris-Simmons (with the expectation that if he trades Simmons it will be for a max salary guy).

The Bulls can get to the outgoing salary with Derrick Jones Jr and Troy Brown Jr, but the picks situation gets tricky. Bulls currently owe their 2023 pick, protected top 4 becoming 2, 2nds after 2024, and another 1st 2 years after that with protections that mean that pick can convey as late as 2028. As such, the Bulls are not eligible to trade any of their first round picks. They do own a lotto protected Portland pick, however, if Portland decides to rebuild, the pick wont convey. So, in reality, is this package any better than the Lakers package built around THT?

It's really hard for a contending team to add a $18-20MM per year contract for a guy who at best is your 4th best player while also giving up value in the process.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,012

Post#29 » by R-DAWG » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I think Denver should be all over Norm if he’s made available and they aren’t throwing in the towel

Denver can't afford to take on the contract with 3 max guys plus Aaron Gordon on the books.

Return to Trades and Transactions