Lebron fouls Stewart, leading to Altercation Pt. Duex

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Did Lebron intentionally hit Stewart?

Yes
82%
No
12%
I am still doing research
6%

Total votes: 428

Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,685

Re: Lebron fouls Stewart, leading to Altercation Pt. Duex 

Post#701 » by Nate505 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:21 am

CobraCommander wrote:So frustrated that the person that got hit got 2 games just because he was frustrated- Lebron could have been completely apologetic if he didn’t mean to hit him and this would have been a situation where everyone huddled around Stewart while they treated him.

We have all been there...you accidentally hurt someone while playing ball....how you react often dictates the next couple minutes-

Lebron was a jerk post hit which caused all of this - the hit could be forgiven but the actions immediately after were bad

I must admit, I've never done the "I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go. Now I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go. Now I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go" thing before.

I detest James and all, so I don't want it to act like I'm defending him, but Stewart's actions after the play were bizarre after his first go. It felt like I was watching something in professional wrestling.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#702 » by bstein14 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:27 am

Interesting take from Reggie Miller on TNT... pretty much says that Stewart had to react like that and Shaq agreed you can't take a hit like that and not fight back or look like you want to fight back or the league will know they can push you around. Reggie Miller pretty much said Stewart looked like someone you don't want to mess around and find out with and that some of the league will "be on eggshells" around the guy after this.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,784

Post#703 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:42 pm

Nate505 wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:So frustrated that the person that got hit got 2 games just because he was frustrated- Lebron could have been completely apologetic if he didn’t mean to hit him and this would have been a situation where everyone huddled around Stewart while they treated him.

We have all been there...you accidentally hurt someone while playing ball....how you react often dictates the next couple minutes-

Lebron was a jerk post hit which caused all of this - the hit could be forgiven but the actions immediately after were bad

I must admit, I've never done the "I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go. Now I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go. Now I'm irate, hold me back. Now I'm calm, let me go" thing before.

I detest James and all, so I don't want it to act like I'm defending him, but Stewart's actions after the play were bizarre after his first go. It felt like I was watching something in professional wrestling.

Yeah my opinion on that - Stewart pissed and it stings physically initially but it’s not that bad...and he waiting to see how Lebron gonna carry it (carry it means respond to the fact that he hit him)....when Lebron was like “what ever” - the Stewart was all about the stare down.....but when that blood started flowing and Lebron was still asking like “so what?” It enraged him (as it would me).

Lebron should have been contrite and none of this happens.

Just apologize on the spot -Lebron...which is the actual adult thing to do...unless he did hit him on purpose...then Stewart should be pissed...

All the flying around to fight is stupid...you already busted open....it’s illogical but i get it-
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#704 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:01 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-james-one-game-suspension-for-clocking-isaiah-stewart-doesnt-seem-in-line-with-j-r-smith-precedent/

Like I said two games plus or the NBA just has no integrity.

LeBron, on the other hand, appears to have gotten off lightly with his one-game suspension as there is precedent for a harsher penalty in this case. Back in 2015, J.R. Smith was suspended two playoff games for a nearly identical hit on Jae Crowder, which you can see below.

As for it being unintentional. Best angle yet and he looks right at him.

You can clearly see LeBron looking back at Stewart as he throws his fist. He knew what he was doing. Smith took a longer swipe, but it's the same thing. Watch the clips again. Smith was peeved about Crowder's initial contact as they tussled for rebounding position, just as LeBron was visibly irritated with Stewart's contact, for which Stewart was assessed a loose-ball foul.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1462580344025227275%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnba%2Fnews%2Flebron-james-one-game-suspension-for-clocking-isaiah-stewart-doesnt-seem-in-line-with-j-r-smith-precedent%2F
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,678

Post#705 » by VanWest82 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 pm

Lebron seems to be ducking responsibility here. Do people agree it was just a swim move? Didn't look like a swim move to me.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32711509/lebron-james-returns-suspension-says-blow-isaiah-stewart-definitely-accidental-1-game-ban-unwarranted

"There was a boxout on the free throw line. His elbow got kind of high, it got me -- if you look, if you watch the film -- it got me off balanced a little bit, and his elbow lifted my arm, and I basically tried to swim move, swim down on him, on his arm," James said. "And when I swung down on his arm, he got off balance and the left side of my hand grazed his face. And I knew right away. So, I knew right away I had caught some part of his head. So, I went over to apologize to him, and obviously, you guys saw what happened after that. But definitely accidental."

"Rob [Pelinka] called me. I missed his call," James told ESPN of the Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager dialing in the bad news. "As soon as when I checked my phone and it was a missed call, I was like, 'I know I'm suspended.'

"I mean, it's some bulls---. But whatever."
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,537

Post#706 » by Dominator83 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:15 pm

The rematch is Sunday. I'm guessing the chances are LeBron sits for that one
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#707 » by iamworthy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:13 pm

Dominater wrote:The rematch is Sunday. I'm guessing the chances are LeBron sits for that one

Why would he sit out?
Tekniskfeil23
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#708 » by Tekniskfeil23 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:34 pm

Guess Lebron swims fists closed
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,537

Post#709 » by Dominator83 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:14 am

iamworthy wrote:
Dominater wrote:The rematch is Sunday. I'm guessing the chances are LeBron sits for that one

Why would he sit out?

Because he's not gonna want that smoke!

And I really don't blame him there. Especially against a junk team like Detroit. It's a lot like in 2001 when Shaq had that brawl with Brad Miller and Ron Artest. They had to play the Bulls again a couple weeks later. Shaq sat out saying "I have nothing to prove against those misfits". I expect something similar here.

I don't see LeBron getting back on the court with those guys Sunday when this is still too fresh
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,598

Post#710 » by Capn'O » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 am

Lebron's statement is embarrassing. Whether he meant to or not, he punched a guy and it caused a scene. Take your lumps and move on.

If I were Stewart I'd lay him ot on general principle now.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#711 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:09 am

I could never handle the pressure Lebron has been through in his career. I don’t think many could. I don’t like his response to it personally but it is what it is. Somewhere in me though I feel like he is cracking a little bit. Totally normal I would have cracked a long long long time ago. I know most will blindly defend him or just hate on him so this is a pointless post but the guy has done well with the pressure for years and I think he is a bit frayed with all of it. Kinda sucks.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#712 » by zimpy27 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:13 am

I think it was definitely accidental but you got to move on
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 554

Post#713 » by styLesdavis » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:28 am

People still thinking it was "accidental" is flat out hilarious to me.

bstein14 wrote:Interesting take from Reggie Miller on TNT... pretty much says that Stewart had to react like that and Shaq agreed you can't take a hit like that and not fight back or look like you want to fight back or the league will know they can push you around. Reggie Miller pretty much said Stewart looked like someone you don't want to mess around and find out with and that some of the league will "be on eggshells" around the guy after this.

Nobody "has to react like that". For example: if LeBron would have done the same thing to Steven Adams, Adams would have been pissed too but never in such an agressive way as Stewart. Do anyone would be crazy enough to think that you can "push Adams around" after that? No. Adams is known for being one of the strongest but also one of the nicer guys in the league.

The NBA is the epicenter of fake toughness. Simple as that.
Purpose
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#714 » by Purpose » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Let me purposely punch you guys defending Lebron in the face. I’d like to see how you react.
RxOne
Ballboy
And1: 67

Post#715 » by RxOne » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:16 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
RxOne wrote:98% of the post here are outright ridiculous.

Stewart put two hands on LeBrons body and pushed him off balance (hence the original foul call). Lebron took umbrage and tried to rip through the hold. The combination of the Lebrons rip through and Stewarts push changed the angular momentum of the swing and Stewart caught an accidental elbow to the eye area, followed by the back of Lebrons fist to the jaw.

Was it dirty? Probably, but guys throw elbows all the time, it's just this one produced a nasty cut. So, the level of pearl-clutching here is way overkill.

The people calling it a punch or talking about what Lebron was "aiming" for must have never been in a fight. This wasn't a fight, there were no punches thrown, there was no aiming, it was a bang-bang play involving two guys being over-aggressive. Common foul on the push, flagrant 2 / ejection for the severity of the contact, ejection for running around like a psycho. Possibly both suspended because it became a social-media spectacle. Seems cut and dry.

It's really bizarre to me why sports fans like you feel the need to defend the indefensible. Stewart should never have been bloodied and, whether intentional or not, that is 100% on LeBron.

After his elbow and before his fist, LeBron seemed to glance at Stewart -- and he likely felt his elbow impact on Stewart and he still threw his fist -- so it's not unreasonable for people to have a different opinion than you. But you flatly dismiss any other opinion and claim to be the sole purveyor of truth.

Even worse, you then attempted to denigrate anyone who questions your opinion-masquerading-as-truth as pearl-clutchers and stating that they must have never been in a fight -- to disagree with you is to be hysterical, ignorant and weak. TBH, it just makes you look insecure.

LeBron screwed up and will pay a price -- reputationally and likely from the league -- neither will be significant. But I have no idea why you feel the need to charge windmills here.

First, I'm going to need you to define "defend". If saying it could be considered dirty and I expect fines and suspensions is defending, then I'm not sure where a conversation goes if you refuse to see nuance.

Second, "after his elbow and before the fist" was literally fractions of a second. So yes, I think it is unreasonable for people to obsess over a slow-motion replay and attribute their perceived intentions to someone who experienced it in real-time.

Third, I'm not denigrating anyone's opinion, I merely disagreed, and gave reasons why. I think these people have never been in a fight because they are ascribing a level of premeditation and calculation that just doesn't exist in real-time incidents like this. When you watch something at 1/8 speed as an observer you have so much time to think about cause and effect, tit-for-tat, and a myriad of other computing variables you just don't get the luxury of in real-time.

Fourth, speaking of charging windmills, there was already a thread on this, this is the second thread. Juxtapose that to the reaction Jokic got for overtly attacking someone from behind on a dead ball with no semblance of a basketball play; that story came and went with no outrage and he was back to being good-guy Jokic the next day. So, me giving my opinion that 75+ pages of complaining about LeBron amounts to "pearl-clutching" is a reasonable response to a very real thing (a realgm thing).

Fifth, to say I claimed, "to disagree with you (me) is to be hysterical, ignorant and weak." is an outright lie. I never used those words or any words to that effect. It's a projection on your part, probably bringing more baggage into the conversation than I actually presented you with and now you don't know what to do with it, so you attack. Seems more like you are the one with an "opinion-masquerading-as-truth" problem, not me.

I'm fully aware and comfortable with the idea that your opinion may differ from mine. Are you? if you were I'd imagine you'd debate based on the things I actually said, rather than straw-manning.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#716 » by HMFFL » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:25 pm

I don't believe Lebron being suspended for X amount of games is relevant since he's missing so much time this season. The fist punch was no accident even if Lebron wasn't thinking straight. There's a fine you that he can be given that hurts his pockets or doesn't instantly become written off his taxes.
He was being boxed out like it was game seven of the NBA Finals and he took offense to it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board