ImageImageImageImageImage

Is RJ Barrett a beast?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Is RJ Barrett a bust?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 347

WajaBawl
Starter
And1: 2,250

Re: Is RJ Barrett a bust? 

Post#1461 » by WajaBawl » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:33 pm

He should be packaged in a deal to acquire a young player who's actually a difference maker. Move him while he's still considered an asset.
RealGM's Scandinavian Correspondent
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#1462 » by SuperflyKnick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:34 pm

Moving RJ to the 2 spot is the way to go. He is stronger then most 2’s in the league and can use his strength well… playing the 3 against bigger players while expending energy has slowed him down…
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#1463 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:50 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:So...RJ played really well for like 6 games or so. In a slump for like 10 games. People out here calling him a bust and saying he's trash. STFU AND GTFO! :lol:

To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season

Yeah I kinda figured that out when I made several posts in this thread over the year. :lol:

My post is dealing with the recent BS coming from this board about the kid and the team. You would swear this team was 2-17 and RJ was Chris Smith! :lol:

The STFU and GTFO still stands! :lol:
:beer: RIP mags
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#1464 » by Jalen Bluntson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:54 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:So...RJ played really well for like 6 games or so. In a slump for like 10 games. People out here calling him a bust and saying he's trash. STFU AND GTFO! :lol:

To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season

Not to mention that wasn't a good example of a player we shouldn't call a bust or trash. 6 good games and 10 bad. I'm rooting for RJ. Come up with a better sample size. Maybe wait until he has 10 great games and a bad 6

More nonsense? The kid has had more than 6 good games here. He's improved every season and he was all star level play to start this season. 10 games later the nonsense begins again? Talk about sample size!! It's ridiculous!
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1465 » by robillionaire » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season

Not to mention that wasn't a good example of a player we shouldn't call a bust or trash. 6 good games and 10 bad. I'm rooting for RJ. Come up with a better sample size. Maybe wait until he has 10 great games and a bad 6

More nonsense? The kid has had more than 6 good games here. He's improved every season and he was all star level play to start this season. 10 games later the nonsense begins again? Talk about sample size!! It's ridiculous!

He hasn’t improved every season though, he improved in year 2 which didn’t take much because his rookie year was terrible and he didn’t make an all-rookie team despite being the #3 pick in a weak draft and so far is worse in year 3. And was never all-star level to start this season that’s mythology

But you are right it’s still early in the season hopefully he can get it together
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#1466 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:01 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

He hasn’t improved every season though, he improved in year 2 which didn’t take much because his rookie year was terrible and he didn’t make an all-rookie team despite being the #3 pick in a weak draft and so far is worse in year 3. And was never all-star level to start this season that’s mythology

But you are right it’s still early in the season hopefully he can get it together

A majority of rookies are terrible in their first season. Especially ones sent to terrible dysfunctional teams. But at this same point last year you could’ve said RJ hasn’t improved at all. But he ended up kicking it in gear.

And technically in his 2 full seasons, he has improved every year lol. People just have high expectations for the kid that he can hopefully reach
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#1467 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:To be fair this isn’t a case of recency bias. This thread was created last season

Well maybe you should've prefaced it different, used a different sample size. But an 6-10 team is trash and a 6good 10poor game player is trash. Just sayin..... they were your words(sample). My response was more of a critique of your choice of sample size than my feelings about RJ. If we were both his defense attorneys I'd reach over and ask "are we on the same team here?"
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#1468 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:06 am

robillionaire wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:

His stats to start the season were absolutely all star level play. He did improve from the first season and started out hot this season. That's improving each season. He's in a rut. The whole team is misfiring any given night practically. Is really a surprise he's also in a funk?

Who knows how much better he gets but...he has shown improvement each season. Period.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#1469 » by Billy Goat » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
This is just a troll thread with a pendulum swinging back and forth, nobody really cares about RJ we are just trying to dunk on each other

That is true but pretty much what I mean. You guys broke the pendulum

I would argue RJ broke the pendulum with his up and down play. We’re simply reacting to it bc it’s frustrating to watch. I think everyone here would love it if RJ turned into the player who we thought we drafted.

This is who he was at Duke though. His hype never made sense.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,636

Post#1470 » by DaGawd » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:56 pm

Buns
BaF
Washington Wizards
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#1471 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:29 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:Moving RJ to the 2 spot is the way to go. He is stronger then most 2’s in the league and can use his strength well… playing the 3 against bigger players while expending energy has slowed him down…

DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,636

Post#1472 » by DaGawd » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:15 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:Moving RJ to the 2 spot is the way to go. He is stronger then most 2’s in the league and can use his strength well… playing the 3 against bigger players while expending energy has slowed him down…

This really doesn’t do much of anything imo. It’s not like he has some elite post game to over power opposing 2s. He’s very iffy taking it up on anyone of comparable size in the paint. He’s just a very average basketball player
BaF
Washington Wizards
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,867

Post#1473 » by GettinitDone » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:37 pm

I already said sell high after he scored 35 pts, but someone on here wanted to fight me for saying it.

I'm an RJ guy, but I'm a team guy first. I think he still has hopes to be an All Star or All NBA one day, just not on this team. To thrive, he needs to be in a situation where there's not much pressure (winning/ losing hinges on him as the 1st/2nd guy). He needs to be on teams like Warriors taking Poole's/ Wiggins' slot where he can score 20-25 pts, chest thumping, slowly building accomplishment confidence, but the lion share of load still being carried by Steph, Klay, Dray, and Kerr, and he wouldn't be barely held accountable if team is losing.

He's an Andrew Wiggins without Wigs' athleticism but with higher motor and heart. There's no coincidence Wiggins (and Poole) are thriving there. Plenty of ball movement, plenty of chances to prove who you are, but with little consequences.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#1474 » by dakomish23 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:10 pm

Don’t ever close the thread
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1475 » by EMG518 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:51 pm

My opinion hasnt changed since we drafted him. We missed with the 3rd pick, we needed 2 to get Ja. I wanted to trade the pick when we dropped to 3 or trade back. Did not want Barrett.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1476 » by DowNY » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:47 pm

EMG518 wrote:My opinion hasnt changed since we drafted him. We missed with the 3rd pick, we needed 2 to get Ja. I wanted to trade the pick when we dropped to 3 or trade back. Did not want Barrett.

Trade back for who? In a re-draft RJ still goes top 5, if not still top 3 depending on team needs. Garland? Herro? Hunter? What’s the other alternative besides RJ & those 3?
NY fans always wanting things in a NY minute. I get it but sometimes it’s ok to have just a really solid good player. Better than drafting the Knox, Franks, etc of the world.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1477 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:15 pm

DowNY wrote:
EMG518 wrote:My opinion hasnt changed since we drafted him. We missed with the 3rd pick, we needed 2 to get Ja. I wanted to trade the pick when we dropped to 3 or trade back. Did not want Barrett.

Trade back for who? In a re-draft RJ still goes top 5, if not still top 3 depending on team needs. Garland? Herro? Hunter? What’s the other alternative besides RJ & those 3?
NY fans always wanting things in a NY minute. I get it but sometimes it’s ok to have just a really solid good player. Better than drafting the Knox, Franks, etc of the world.

Hawks traded: Hawks trade No. 8, No. 17, and No. 35 picks to Pelicans for No. 4, No. 57, a future second-round pick, and Solomon Hill

Could the Knicks have insisted on #8 and #10? for #3?

Herro, and Jaxson Hayes or Cam Reddish or PJ Washington or Cameron Johnson?

Again, that's a higher level kind of draft day move the Knicks don't make. Just spitballing. Hopefully RJ puts it all together.
sims
Bench Warmer
And1: 442

Post#1478 » by sims » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 pm

DowNY wrote:

hachimura was my guy going into that draft. i thought then (and still do) that he will emerge as one of the brighter stars from that class. personally i would have traded back for him and a pick but realistically there was zero chance we were trading out of the top three after our streak of abysmal lottery luck

in truth, there wasn't much to miss in that class outside of the top 2 - it was the knox pick that really set us back
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#1479 » by DowNY » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:59 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
DowNY wrote:

Hawks traded: Hawks trade No. 8, No. 17, and No. 35 picks to Pelicans for No. 4, No. 57, a future second-round pick, and Solomon Hill

Again, that's a higher level kind of draft day move the Knicks don't make. Just spitballing. Hopefully RJ puts it all together.

I hear you fam but outside of Herro , none of those players change the current status nor move the needle from what we already have.
And even Herro (who’s admittedly playing out his mind) is doing well off the bench, not starting.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1480 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:09 am

DowNY wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
DowNY wrote:Trade back for who? In a re-draft RJ still goes top 5, if not still top 3 depending on team needs. Garland? Herro? Hunter? What’s the other alternative besides RJ & those 3?

I hear you fam but outside of Herro , none of those players change the current status nor move the needle from what we already have.
And even Herro (who’s admittedly playing out his mind) is doing well off the bench, not starting.

The only thing it would have accomplished, and it would have taken a ballsy FO move and THEN they'd have to have really really good drafting, which I don't think the Knicks drafting is that high level, but it would have been a recognition that RJ isn't and doesn't have franchise level skills, and then they would get a similar player plus another young player to offset the Frank or Knox screw up.

Water under the bridge. RJ is solid. Sometimes that's what the draft offers up and the Knicks didn't specifically screw it up.

Return to New York Knicks