What Would You Give Up for Daniel Theis

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Re: What Would You Give Up for Daniel Theis 

Post#21 » by Xman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Houston is going to be bad this year to get one more high pick and try out players, like Porter at pg. Next year, maybe some improvement.
Theis should be duplicative of young guys who need minutes. That is why I want him gone. Plus, he should bring back some asset.
Wood brings more value so could deal both. Or keep Wood and resign him long term.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#22 » by K_chile22 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:37 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
nzahir wrote:but his adv numbers have been bad from what I have seen

He plays for the Rockets, lol. It's really really hard to have good advanced stats on the worst team in the league. If you look at players who switch from really bad teams to really good teams (or vice versa) you will see the impact that has on advanced stats.

That being said, in my opinion, his value would probably be a worthless expiring player and a mediocre 2nd

I don't see why Houston would trade him, if we trade anybody it should be someone with some value, like Wood. Theis is a fine vet to keep around and it's not like moving him nets us anything worthwhile anyways.
Yeah I'd honestly prefer to move wood for value and split the minutes at center between Theis and Sengun, but one of Theis and Wood gas got to go. We'll see who it ultimately is

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 am

cl2117 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Just at first glance I’d take the player for a some seconds, but when you factor in the length of his contract (FOUR guaranteed years) I have him as a negative value player for sure. At least to a team that figures to be in the luxury tax over that span, which as a Celtics fan is my main perspective. You just can’t be paying a guy like Theis that money for that long. That caliber of player (non needle moving role player) is one you sacrifice quality for financial savings for.

I believe it's only 3 guaranteed years with a club option for the 4th. And I think he's a very moveable contract.

Assume you trade for him for the rest of this year and then worst case it doesn't work out and you've got him on 2/18. I think you'd be able to dump that no problem if you wanted to save money.

At that point, it would be a 3rd straight season (and team) where Theis’ team had determined to trade him for essentially just cash savings. I don’t think his value would rise throughout this process. Much like players get a certain negative association attached (whether right or wrong) when they sign a vet minimum contract, once a guy gets salary dumped (like Boston dumped him on Chicago to avoid the tax, and in this case, Houston would be making in salary dumping him to a 3rd team), they get a certain negative association attached, too. We know that Theis was just paid at the top of his market, and his contract is ascending year over year, so I don’t think that it will get easier to salary dump him other than his contract just getting shorter and expiring. Either way, Boston just determined that dumping him to avoid the tax was more helpful to them than his play on the court.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#24 » by ChettheJet » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:25 pm

It would take two trades I believe as the Bulls can't directly get back a player they just S&T for a year. But he is what the Bulls could use right now to replace the injured Pat Williams but for his next 2 years on his contract to play behind PW. They could use him for all the reasons some want to disparage him. No he's not a starting center, not really a starting 4, but he provides size, rebounding, and plays tough inside, can shoot the 3 ball, has a high BB IQ,, doesn't try to do more than he is able. He was only with the Bulls last year after the deadline but on the bench he was talking to the young players about the plays they made or didn't make and what they should be looking for. THAT isn't a stat but it makes your team better.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#25 » by cl2117 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
cl2117 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Just at first glance I’d take the player for a some seconds, but when you factor in the length of his contract (FOUR guaranteed years) I have him as a negative value player for sure. At least to a team that figures to be in the luxury tax over that span, which as a Celtics fan is my main perspective. You just can’t be paying a guy like Theis that money for that long. That caliber of player (non needle moving role player) is one you sacrifice quality for financial savings for.

I believe it's only 3 guaranteed years with a club option for the 4th. And I think he's a very moveable contract.

Assume you trade for him for the rest of this year and then worst case it doesn't work out and you've got him on 2/18. I think you'd be able to dump that no problem if you wanted to save money.

At that point, it would be a 3rd straight season (and team) where Theis’ team had determined to trade him for essentially just cash savings. I don’t think his value would rise throughout this process. Much like players get a certain negative association attached (whether right or wrong) when they sign a vet minimum contract, once a guy gets salary dumped (like Boston dumped him on Chicago to avoid the tax, and in this case, Houston would be making in salary dumping him to a 3rd team), they get a certain negative association attached, too. We know that Theis was just paid at the top of his market, and his contract is ascending year over year, so I don’t think that it will get easier to salary dump him other than his contract just getting shorter and expiring. Either way, Boston just determined that dumping him to avoid the tax was more helpful to them than his play on the court.

All fair points. I agree C's aren't taking him back after dumping him last season to duck the tax (far far more likely they dump Juancho to do duck it this year). Personally I'd do it given it'd be relatively cheap to get him, but I don't have to foot the bill.

I slightly disagree that Theis would necessarily land a negative association under these circumstances. C's dumped him to duck the tax, but Houston would be doing it for fairly different reasons given they're really looking to free up minutes for Sengun and would also be getting some value back to boot. If C's look to move him for the third time in three years he might flip from slightly positive (2nds) to slightly negative (2nds) value, but I still consider that "cheap" to move.

Regardless, it's a moot point since C's brass already made the call on him (barring an injury to their front court), but I still just have a soft spot for him.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,933

Post#26 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 pm

JaMychal Green, Bol Bol and Austin Rivers for Daniel Theis and Dawid Nwaba
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#27 » by K_chile22 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:47 am

Thies is now getting DNP-CDs because Silas has finally committed to abandoning two big lineups as wood stinks at the four and Sengun is getting the backup C minutes. He deserves to get minutes, there's just none to give here unfortunately. Pretty sure the rockets will just take an expiring or an similar contract that fits better positionally when Thies becomes trade eligible. He didn't sign here to not play (unless wood gets moved instead)

DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#28 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:25 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
nzahir wrote:but his adv numbers have been bad from what I have seen

He plays for the Rockets, lol. It's really really hard to have good advanced stats on the worst team in the league. If you look at players who switch from really bad teams to really good teams (or vice versa) you will see the impact that has on advanced stats.

That being said, in my opinion, his value would probably be a worthless expiring player and a mediocre 2nd

I don't see why Houston would trade him, if we trade anybody it should be someone with some value, like Wood. Theis is a fine vet to keep around and it's not like moving him nets us anything worthwhile anyways.

excuses. he regressed why celtics tossed him last yr. 5mil is abt right. negative contract.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#29 » by Pythagoras » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:08 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Thies is now getting DNP-CDs because Silas has finally committed to abandoning two big lineups as wood stinks at the four and Sengun is getting the backup C minutes. He deserves to get minutes, there's just none to give here unfortunately. Pretty sure the rockets will just take an expiring or an similar contract that fits better positionally when Thies becomes trade eligible. He didn't sign here to not play (unless wood gets moved instead)

I still like how Theis would fit with the Lakers.
Numbers rule the universe.
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#30 » by K_chile22 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:06 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Thies is now getting DNP-CDs because Silas has finally committed to abandoning two big lineups as wood stinks at the four and Sengun is getting the backup C minutes. He deserves to get minutes, there's just none to give here unfortunately. Pretty sure the rockets will just take an expiring or an similar contract that fits better positionally when Thies becomes trade eligible. He didn't sign here to not play (unless wood gets moved instead)

Issue becomes matching salary. They're not giving tht for him. Is Nunn not working out for them? But yeah, if they're going to have to play a center he's a much better option than what they currently have

Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#31 » by Pythagoras » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:14 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

Issue becomes matching salary. They're not giving tht for him. Is Nunn not working out for them? But yeah, if they're going to have to play a center he's a much better option than what they currently have

Nunn is hurt. As much as I would hate to lose him, I think the Lakers could use Theis more than Nunn. The Rockets could later turn around and probably flip Nunn to a contender looking for some scoring pop off their bench.
Numbers rule the universe.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,818

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:16 pm

I'd still like him for Dallas, but honestly its hard to know how he fits. Powell was starting and WCS was getting backup center minutes with a little KP or Boban at center. But now WCS starts, Powell comes off the bench, but more and more one big lineups with KP or even Maxi as the lone big. Heck he's played DFS at center even.

It still feels like center is a position without a solution unless and until Kidd decides to just start KP there. I'd personally rather play Theis than WCS, but he's currently the only thing resembling physical resistance inside so IDK.

But I think I'd do WCS/Burke for Theis. Or more ideally, Powell/Burke for Gordon and take Theis back into the TPE. And just give up the rim rolling of Powell.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#33 » by NYG » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Nunn and Ariza for Theis?
K_chile22
RealGM

Post#34 » by K_chile22 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:59 pm

NYG wrote:Nunn and Ariza for Theis?
I'd do it but try and find a team that would eat a roster spot and give a little something for Nunn and maybe someone who would want ariza as well so they don't have to buy him out

ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#35 » by ThatBoyNick » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:40 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
excuses. he regressed why celtics tossed him last yr. 5mil is abt right. negative contract.

What?

Advanced stats are significantly impacted by overall team success and talent, this isn't really a debate? Or an excuse...

Either way, we get to a similar conclusion, not worth anything, Rockets should keep him.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#36 » by nzahir » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 pm

NYG wrote:Nunn and Ariza for Theis?

HELL NO

Not giving up 1 of them for Theis

Nunn is our best 3 and d guard, more so offense than defense

And then not moving a wing considering how bad our depth is there

I would do 3 minimums (Monk, DJ, 1 of Baze/Rondo/Ellington) and 1-2 2nds, that is it

We are overvaluing a bench C who is on a NEGATIVE deal

Return to Trades and Transactions