OT: What is the history of RealGM?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,074

Re: OT: What is the history of RealGM? 

Post#161 » by High 5 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:48 pm

It has always been full of toxic, obnoxious people (since 2006 at least), but it has gotten worse with the rise of hot take culture and people farming for and-1’s. Most of the interesting stuff these days is just taken from Reddit (which also sucks).
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,172

Post#162 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:49 pm

gavran wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:Outside of ESPN, Mixmakers was also a forum that was somewhat active for basketball discussion. I was on there before coming on here. Miss it at times.

I came here from Mixmakers as well. I wasn't making mixes. We have a MM legend Pavvy still posting on the Knicks board from time to time.

There was another MM legend on here that would post on the GB every now and then. I saw a post of his a few months ago. Don’t remember his name right now.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#163 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm

Another one I was following more or less at the same time was basketballboards.net, byt I don't think it exists anymore.

Anyway, my first few years here were spent defending the Jerry Krause's process-before-theprocess babybulls plan.
That I still think was a sound plan, but he hit a timespan when just no real MVP caliber players entered the league (the four drafts between 99 and 02). A few ywars later it might have looked very different.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#164 » by dautjazz » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:14 pm

Egg Nog wrote:RealGM.com in 2000
RealGM.com in 2001
RealGM.com in 2002

RealGM forum in 2001
GUYS...the General Board here has 15 topics and 44 TOTAL POSTS

OMG I remember the 2001 layout. Before RealGM I used to use a forum which I think was called NBA Talk, and then ESPN bought it, which I think eventually became their Insider service.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#165 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Shams got his start reporting for RealGM.

You hear that, Pharmcat?! You could be up next!

Pharm is just whiling away hours here until skip retires.

This is known. This is known.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#166 » by Curtis Lemansky » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:31 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:Prerak...now there's a name I haven't heard for awhile.

While perusing through I don't think that I saw Magnumt mentioned, who was an iconic poster and mod that passed away sadly.

I lurked for awhile before joining, and I'm almost positive I joined to post on the political board where I was most active early on. The Iraq war (and its aftermath) were the dominant discussion points. There was quite a bit of back and forth laying out arguments, providing links, etc. It's commonly pointed out how destructive social media has been on political discourse, but it's even more so when you've had multiple back and forth interactions with someone that you disagree with but don't personally dislike.

The OT board had lots of ****posting and memes before they were a thing. I didn't post there too much early on as I didn't quite get much of it and didn't lurk enough to figure it out. The whole "treadmilled" was always good for a laugh.

I don't have a link to it off hand but the "I'm a genius with an iq of 165" thread was hilarious, even more so if you interacted with or were aware of the poster behind it.

Some Wolves board history:

The disastrous 2004/2005 season and the continuous arguments over what was to blame.
The Mayo/Love trade was very divisive for awhile. Luckily I was posting much less by the time I was decisively wrong lol.
Years of "Rubio wants to play for the Knicks" there and elsewhere thanks to East Coast media blowing smoke up Knicks fans ***es.

Something that stands out about RealGM is how different team boards are in regards to activity and culture. It's always interesting lurking boards like the Bucks, especially when Jennings went from steal of the draft future MVP to "Baddy Chuck". The Colangelo era Raptors board was another one.
I may be mistaken but the IQ claimed by the poster was 196 or something like that. His username was Kwsn-men and he created multiple accounts after his original was banned. He is very easy to detect, fanatically pro-Euro basketball and anti-NBA. Just create a thread bashing the level of Euroleague and say it is below NCAA, he would come flying in.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,378

Post#167 » by durden_tyler » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:56 pm

Been meaning to ask for a long time: How much did RealGM earn selling the "Trade Checker" to ESPN?

(That was the hook that got me in early 2000s...)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#168 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Another one I was following more or less at the same time was basketballboards.net, byt I don't think it exists anymore.

Anyway, my first few years here were spent defending the Jerry Krause's process-before-theprocess babybulls plan.
That I still think was a sound plan, but he hit a timespan when just no real MVP caliber players entered the league (the four drafts between 99 and 02). A few ywars later it might have looked very different.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

Yeah I would post on BBB.net. There was a small faction that left RealGM and went over there. Yeah the early minutes of this board was very Krause obsessed. Good ole days.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#169 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:49 pm

dautjazz wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:RealGM.com in 2000
RealGM.com in 2001
RealGM.com in 2002

RealGM forum in 2001
GUYS...the General Board here has 15 topics and 44 TOTAL POSTS

OMG I remember the 2001 layout. Before RealGM I used to use a forum which I think was called NBA Talk, and then ESPN bought it, which I think eventually became their Insider service.

Yeah it was part of the Chad Ford insider thing that was going on then. Those forums were more like a chat. There was one poster called Sheed’s Dream. God it was hilarious. It was a fun place but the format wasn’t the best.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#170 » by nickhx2 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:58 pm

there was some mention of trueLAfan:

i first encountered him back on fanhome boards (which later turned into scout) and immediately was one of the most knowledgeable and best posters i'd ever encountered. when i eventually came here, at the time he wasn't actively posting, but some years later when clippers senior mod MKwest retired, he came back to take over that role. so, true is still around, but posting on the clips forum only as far as i can tell (for those who liked chatting with him).
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 549

Post#171 » by Walt Cronkite » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:43 pm

This has to be one of the all-time classic threads--NBA: should it be made into ONBA?https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=886428&p=18780550&hilit=Outdoor#p18780550
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,977

Post#172 » by Capn'O » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Curtis Lemansky wrote:

While perusing through I don't think that I saw Magnumt mentioned, who was an iconic poster and mod that passed away sadly.

I lurked for awhile before joining, and I'm almost positive I joined to post on the political board where I was most active early on. The Iraq war (and its aftermath) were the dominant discussion points. There was quite a bit of back and forth laying out arguments, providing links, etc. It's commonly pointed out how destructive social media has been on political discourse, but it's even more so when you've had multiple back and forth interactions with someone that you disagree with but don't personally dislike.

The OT board had lots of ****posting and memes before they were a thing. I didn't post there too much early on as I didn't quite get much of it and didn't lurk enough to figure it out. The whole "treadmilled" was always good for a laugh.

I don't have a link to it off hand but the "I'm a genius with an iq of 165" thread was hilarious, even more so if you interacted with or were aware of the poster behind it.

The disastrous 2004/2005 season and the continuous arguments over what was to blame.
The Mayo/Love trade was very divisive for awhile. Luckily I was posting much less by the time I was decisively wrong lol.
Years of "Rubio wants to play for the Knicks" there and elsewhere thanks to East Coast media blowing smoke up Knicks fans ***es.

Something that stands out about RealGM is how different team boards are in regards to activity and culture. It's always interesting lurking boards like the Bucks, especially when Jennings went from steal of the draft future MVP to "Baddy Chuck". The Colangelo era Raptors board was another one.
I may be mistaken but the IQ claimed by the poster was 196 or something like that. His username was Kwsn-men and he created multiple accounts after his original was banned. He is very easy to detect, fanatically pro-Euro basketball and anti-NBA. Just create a thread bashing the level of Euroleague and say it is below NCAA, he would come flying in.

There are those who say he still roams these forums to this day...
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 249

Post#173 » by Curtis Lemansky » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:01 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Curtis Lemansky wrote:

There are those who say he still roams these forums to this day...
Yes, his new username even might be a Euro who was punched in the face :)

"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#174 » by MotownMadness » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:18 pm

I made it popular when I left ProSportsDaily
Focus
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#175 » by Focus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:48 am

contributing one of my fav memories of this board. There was a poster by the name of TheThief or something like that on the magic board. The guy claimed to be a 6'10 semi-pro basketball player, who was working towards a 10 day contract in the NBA. it all started low key, but he eventually started a thread documenting his progress complete with pictures. Eventually he was getting attention board wide. A lot of dedication went into it, the guy fabricated a whole backstory and updated almost daily. of course, he turned out to be a 5'5 300lb lard ass, who prob would have gotten a heart attack if he so much as tried to catch a pass.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,003

Post#176 » by Gus McCrae » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:42 am

There used to be more discussion and debating vs. hot takes and bashing of players/teams. Maybe the “and one” system was responsible for that change. I still enjoy logging in to read peoples reactions when something exciting happens that I know will generate a lot of responses like the Jokic/Morris or Lebron/Stewart incidents or if there’s a major trade or injury. I also enjoy following game threads during playoff games.

I think my favorite poster was lil oj mayo who was just a huge OJ Mayo fan which was endearing and comical.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#177 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:00 pm

Who remembers that thread about having multiple baskets and balls and posters kept posting diagrams of basketball courts with like 16 baskets, with all sorts of geometric setups. Good times. Don't remember the name, would be nice to revisit that thread.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,947

Post#178 » by slick_watts » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:36 pm

tsherkin should come back.

Return to The General Board