ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Scottie Barnes Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

AbC?
Head Coach
And1: 9,585

Re: Official Scottie Barnes Thread 

Post#1081 » by AbC? » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:04 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:I'm not sure who "T" is on Twitter here, but I would love to see some stats to back up his assertions.

The idea that "OG commanded double teams" seems to suggest that Pascal doesn't, or that OG does more frequently than Pascal (because he's talking about what the team is lacking with Pascal in the lineup and OG out). Again, I would love to see some stats, because that doesn't sound true to me at all.

Also, "T"'s belief that Pascal is more regularly guarded by 5s (which might be correct) should actually mean that Pascal is drawing more attention from the other team's best rim protector, which should open up more opportunities for Scottie in the paint. But as we've seen, Scottie's scoring percentages close to the basket have been dropping as well.

As one poster pointed out above (I think it was JN) rookies go through ups and downs all the time as things that were working for them earlier on no longer work once teams have some film to game plan against. Then the rookies will need to adjust, and opposing teams will counter once again. I think people have this misconception that player development is always linear. It isn't. Scottie will have stretches where he struggles, as all rookies do. But we know he's got a high BBIQ, he'll figure it out.

It really was pretty nonsensical. Too many pseudoexperts trying to diagnose what's wrong with the team.

Anyways, Barnes was good tonight. His finishing wasn't there but I liked his process attacking the rim. Felt like he was settling for the middy a bit too much in previous games.

Read on Twitter

Giddey looks really freaking good. 19 years old and looks totally comfortable being the lead ball handler in the NBA. Quicker than I expected. He's in the Luka/Melo mold of tall playmakers that can control the game. I think there's a chance he ends up better than Ball tbh.
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,804

Post#1082 » by Los_29 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 am

AbC? wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:I'm not sure who "T" is on Twitter here, but I would love to see some stats to back up his assertions.

The idea that "OG commanded double teams" seems to suggest that Pascal doesn't, or that OG does more frequently than Pascal (because he's talking about what the team is lacking with Pascal in the lineup and OG out). Again, I would love to see some stats, because that doesn't sound true to me at all.

Also, "T"'s belief that Pascal is more regularly guarded by 5s (which might be correct) should actually mean that Pascal is drawing more attention from the other team's best rim protector, which should open up more opportunities for Scottie in the paint. But as we've seen, Scottie's scoring percentages close to the basket have been dropping as well.

As one poster pointed out above (I think it was JN) rookies go through ups and downs all the time as things that were working for them earlier on no longer work once teams have some film to game plan against. Then the rookies will need to adjust, and opposing teams will counter once again. I think people have this misconception that player development is always linear. It isn't. Scottie will have stretches where he struggles, as all rookies do. But we know he's got a high BBIQ, he'll figure it out.

It really was pretty nonsensical. Too many pseudoexperts trying to diagnose what's wrong with the team.

Anyways, Barnes was good tonight. His finishing wasn't there but I liked his process attacking the rim. Felt like he was settling for the middy a bit too much in previous games.

Read on Twitter

Giddey looks really freaking good. 19 years old and looks totally comfortable being the lead ball handler in the NBA. Quicker than I expected. He's in the Luka/Melo mold of tall playmakers that can control the game. I think there's a chance he ends up better than Ball tbh.

I like Giddey too but I just think his athleticism and defense will prevent him from getting to that level. He also needs to improve that shot. And Ball is light years ahead of him right now and just one year older.
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#1083 » by XTC » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:00 am

I hate to toot my own horn but I had Giddey in my top 5 all season long. This was my write up on him on the draft board in May.

"I think he’s going to be good on any team he lands on. Kid is sneaky athletic, and he’s at his best when he’s attacking and going downhill. Kid is one of those passers who creates something out of nothing, and is a master in the pick and roll.

Stylistically (styles not impact!!!) the way he passes is very Steve Nash like, he will make some passes where you wonder if he really does have eyes on the back of his head. People watch highlights, but highlights don’t really don’t do him any justice, some of Giddey’s best passes where when the receiver missed the shot. His jump shot is funky, but it’s definitely workable. Near the end of the season he was hitting and attempting shots he never even took in the begging (step back 3’s, side steps, off the dribble). I can’t say enough about Giddey I feel like he has huge potential. I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years time, people look back and people are placing him top 3 in a redraft.

Kid definetly does need to work on somethings though. He has a solid handle, but he definitely needs to tighten it up a notch. He’s also really weak at the moment, but he stood his own vs grown men in the NBL."

Giddey was one of my favourite players to watch last season and I saw star written all over him. I remember fighting posters who compared him to Shaun Livingston/Joe Ingles :lol:

Likewise with Barnes I always said potentially he could be the best player in the draft. This was also my write up in May.

"I love Barnes, I think he’s going to be a terror defensively in the NBA. Dude is literally lockdown from 1-4, and I don’t doubt he could guard some 5’s at the next level. He’s that good defensively.

Kid gets really underrated offensively. He’s one of the best handles + passers in the draft. He’s got great length, athleticism, and one of the best strides in recent memory, he’s going to be a good slasher at the next level. His form is very fixable, and I don’t doubt he can become a good shooter as well.

Barnes is one of those guys who people look back at in 5/6 years and go “damn he might just be the best player in the draft”. Kid is good.

Kid is a combination of Iguodala + Draymond Green. Me personally I like him more than Kuminga as well."

Even with Barnes I remember fighting with posters who said he's Kyle Anderson 2.0 :lol:
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,165

Post#1084 » by God Squad » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:10 pm

XTC wrote:I hate to toot my own horn but I had Giddey in my top 5 all season long. This was my write up on him on the draft board in May.

"I think he’s going to be good on any team he lands on. Kid is sneaky athletic, and he’s at his best when he’s attacking and going downhill. Kid is one of those passers who creates something out of nothing, and is a master in the pick and roll.

Stylistically (styles not impact!!!) the way he passes is very Steve Nash like, he will make some passes where you wonder if he really does have eyes on the back of his head. People watch highlights, but highlights don’t really don’t do him any justice, some of Giddey’s best passes where when the receiver missed the shot. His jump shot is funky, but it’s definitely workable. Near the end of the season he was hitting and attempting shots he never even took in the begging (step back 3’s, side steps, off the dribble). I can’t say enough about Giddey I feel like he has huge potential. I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5 years time, people look back and people are placing him top 3 in a redraft.

Kid definetly does need to work on somethings though. He has a solid handle, but he definitely needs to tighten it up a notch. He’s also really weak at the moment, but he stood his own vs grown men in the NBL."

Giddey was one of my favourite players to watch last season and I saw star written all over him. I remember fighting posters who compared him to Shaun Livingston/Joe Ingles :lol:

Likewise with Barnes I always said potentially he could be the best player in the draft. This was also my write up in May.

"I love Barnes, I think he’s going to be a terror defensively in the NBA. Dude is literally lockdown from 1-4, and I don’t doubt he could guard some 5’s at the next level. He’s that good defensively.

Kid gets really underrated offensively. He’s one of the best handles + passers in the draft. He’s got great length, athleticism, and one of the best strides in recent memory, he’s going to be a good slasher at the next level. His form is very fixable, and I don’t doubt he can become a good shooter as well.

Barnes is one of those guys who people look back at in 5/6 years and go “damn he might just be the best player in the draft”. Kid is good.

Kid is a combination of Iguodala + Draymond Green. Me personally I like him more than Kuminga as well."

Even with Barnes I remember fighting with posters who said he's Kyle Anderson 2.0 :lol:

I'll hold my L in terms of Giddey and Barnes. I thought at 4 that'd be a reach for both, but at 7 I was okay with it. I have a feeling Barnes is gonna get rolling again after his mini slump. He should be able to feast against the Pacers if he can keep an eye on Turners weakside protection.

I still have concerns about Giddeys scoring and defense though, but his play making is better than I initially imagined.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,904

Post#1085 » by vulture » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:32 am

XTC wrote:I hate to toot my own horn but I had Giddey in my top 5 all season long. This was my write up on him on the draft board in May.

You and I had the good on Barnes and Giddey at draft time.
Giddey's passing is impressive, but without the threat of the shot he won't be able to blow by guys. We'll see if that comes along eventually.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#1086 » by Jcity08 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:56 am

Giddeys going to be a modern day ginóbili. Theres a lot of finesse in his game.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,740

Post#1087 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:20 am

Jcity08 wrote:Giddeys going to be a modern day ginóbili. Theres a lot of finesse in his game.

Maybe if he puts on some size, learns to shoot and defend. If every prospect can do that, they’d be great.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,466

Post#1088 » by Jcity08 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:25 am

Yeezus_ wrote:
Jcity08 wrote:Giddeys going to be a modern day ginóbili. Theres a lot of finesse in his game.

Maybe if he puts on some size, learns to shoot and defend. If every prospect can do that, they’d be great.

Defense is really the only thing I worry about for him, everything else will come and his IQ is really nice for a rookie.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,904

Post#1089 » by vulture » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Nick Nurse telling Scottie to go to the rim every time he grabs a rebound is my favourite thing this year.

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,992

Post#1090 » by anotherhomer » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:56 pm

i think at this point, Giddey just a more talented passer and ball handler than Barnes

i think Barnes will be a good player but not hoping to get bashed by my fellow rap fans, i wonder if Giddey could end up better
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#1091 » by HumbleRen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:09 pm

anotherhomer wrote:i think at this point, Giddey just a more talented passer and ball handler than Barnes

i think Barnes will be a good player but not hoping to get bashed by my fellow rap fans, i wonder if Giddey could end up better

I don't think that was ever a debate lol. Giddey was the best passer going into the draft right after Shariffe Cooper.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,917

Post#1092 » by lolwut » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:17 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
anotherhomer wrote:i think at this point, Giddey just a more talented passer and ball handler than Barnes

I don't think that was ever a debate lol. Giddey was the best passer going into the draft right after Shariffe Cooper.

Barnes is a wing with point guard skills that wants to play point guard. Giddey is actually a point guard.
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#1093 » by HumbleRen » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:19 pm

lolwut wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Barnes is a wing with point guard skills that wants to play point guard. Giddey is actually a point guard.

Yep.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 455

Post#1094 » by youngRAPZ » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:00 pm

lolwut wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Kind of in the same way Banton is more of a pg than Barnes as well. I don’t think Barnes’s future is at full time pg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#1095 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:33 am

I think yall wrong he just needs more reps at PG. he makes some nice passes and can get to the rim at ease.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Post#1096 » by OakleyDokely » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:29 pm

[Twitter]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/twitter]
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1097 » by will » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:51 pm

Real talk, that white boy GIddey is an absolute baller. He is long, and makes the right play more often than not. Deceptively quick, not super athletic but his movements and how he contorts his body finishing at the rim is something else.

Probably because the shaggy hair.

Either way, that Shai/Giddey backcourt is going to be hell on the rest of the league.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#1098 » by will » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Scottie Barnes at this point, less than a quarter into the season is probably the second best player for the Raptors. Ain't it ain't even close.

Kid brings that factor to the game where he impacts both sides of the court, but most importantly looks to impact and elevate his teammates. He ain't just going for his. That's glaring to me from what I see when I look at PSizzle and Senior constantly pound the rock.
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#1099 » by TheBunk » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 pm

Lol a sure fire sign that someone isn't appreciating Barnes' IQ and court vision is saying that Banton is more of a full time pg than him.

Banton is fine but his passing is mechanical. He doesn't see how plays develop like Barnes does.
youngRAPZ
Senior
And1: 455

Post#1100 » by youngRAPZ » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:37 pm

TheBunk wrote:Lol a sure fire sign that someone isn't appreciating Barnes' IQ and court vision is saying that Banton is more of a full time pg than him.

Banton is fine but his passing is mechanical. He doesn't see how plays develop like Barnes does.

Yes and I guess you appreciate more than Nurse as well considering anytime Barnes and Banton are out there Banton is the one running pg. smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Toronto Raptors