nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1681 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:42 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So, when do the Wiz start fining or withholding pay to Beal for refusing to get vaccinated? Does the NBA have a policy?

He has already had Covid. He is better protected and less of a threat to others than all the vaccinated people who haven't had Covid.
Repeating this ad nauseum doesn't make it any less inaccurate.

That said, it's not an issue in this case given that Beal can play all the team's games and taking an adversarial position is a terrible idea.

I addressed this in the Covid thread. It is accurate. There are studies from Israel and the UK with massive sample sizes that show this. Natural immunity is longer lasting than vaccinated immunity (perhaps permanent), and it is a sterilizing immunity which prevents transmission. Vaccinated immunity does virtually nothing to prevent you from being a carrier. All it does is reduce severity.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#1682 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:42 am

nate33 wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:He has already had Covid. He is better protected and less of a threat to others than all the vaccinated people who haven't had Covid.
Repeating this ad nauseum doesn't make it any less inaccurate.

That said, it's not an issue in this case given that Beal can play all the team's games and taking an adversarial position is a terrible idea.

I addressed this in the Covid thread. It is accurate. There are studies from Israel and the UK with massive sample sizes that show this. Natural immunity is longer lasting than vaccinated immunity (perhaps permanent), and it is a sterilizing immunity which prevents transmission. Vaccinated immunity does virtually nothing to prevent you from being a carrier. All it does is reduce severity.

More recent study (released last week) of 200,000 admissions from 187 hospitals says no:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

Unvaccinated adults with previous infections (within 3-6 months prior) were 5x more likely to be hospitalized than vaccinated adults who had never had COVID.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1683 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:39 pm

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the team is 3-0 without Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1684 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:53 pm

I posted this on a General Board thread a few days ago, but figured I'd copy it here:

nate33 wrote:Beal has been really bad shooting the ball. In the first 6 games or so, he was also gunning a whole lot, forcing up bad shots out of frustration because he wasn't hitting. He got into this habit over the past 3 seasons when there really weren't any other options. But Beal has started recognizing that he can rely on his teammates more. In the last 4 games, he has been much better.

In his first 6 games, he had a USG% of 35% with a TS% of .468 and only 4.5 assists a game.
In his last 4 games, he has a USG% of 31% with a TS% of .554 and 7.3 assists per game.

So maybe, Beal has already adapted to his new teammates and will continue to play more efficiently while sharing the ball more. And if he actually breaks out of his shooting slump, look out.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1685 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Is he coming back in the next game? Do we know his status yet?
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Doug_Blew
Junior
And1: 313

Post#1686 » by Doug_Blew » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:47 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Is he coming back in the next game? Do we know his status yet?

On the Wizards Post game show they did say that they expect Beal back for tomorrow's game.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,352

Post#1687 » by doclinkin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:25 pm

nate33 wrote:I posted this on a General Board thread a few days ago, but figured I'd copy it here:

nate33 wrote:Beal has been really bad shooting the ball. In the first 6 games or so, he was also gunning a whole lot, forcing up bad shots out of frustration because he wasn't hitting. He got into this habit over the past 3 seasons when there really weren't any other options. But Beal has started recognizing that he can rely on his teammates more. In the last 4 games, he has been much better.

In his first 6 games, he had a USG% of 35% with a TS% of .468 and only 4.5 assists a game.
In his last 4 games, he has a USG% of 31% with a TS% of .554 and 7.3 assists per game.

So maybe, Beal has already adapted to his new teammates and will continue to play more efficiently while sharing the ball more. And if he actually breaks out of his shooting slump, look out.

He's also been sneaky-good as a defender. Not shutdowns and steals and blocks, but forcing his man to pass instead of shoot. Giving no comfort zone.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1688 » by FAH1223 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Woj and Wilson agree that Brad is very likely re-signing
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1689 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 pm

So... what's going on with Brad?

The news isn't all bad. He's having a career year rebounding the ball.

He's tieing his career year in assists.

He's playing effortful, solid defense.

He's shooting FTs at a career high %. Though on way fewer attempts than last year.

His 2 pt. % is down, yes, but it's not a disastrous drop.

But... unfortunately, his 3pt% has fallen significantly -- plus he's shooting them more than last year! Last year just under 27% of his attempts were 3s. This year it's almost 34%. His shot attempts are down overall, but his 3 pt. attempts are actually up. That's not a good recipe given the way his % has tumbled.

The other problem is turnovers -- they are up by 31%.

Here's a way to think about it: per 40 minutes last year Brad had a combined 7.75 TOs & missed 3's. This year that number is over 10.15. That's over 30% more!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1690 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:14 pm

payitforward wrote:So... what's going on with Brad?

The news isn't all bad. He's having a career year rebounding the ball.

He's tieing his career year in assists.

He's playing effortful, solid defense.

He's shooting FTs at a career high %. Though on way fewer attempts than last year.

His 2 pt. % is down, yes, but it's not a disastrous drop.

But... unfortunately, his 3pt% has fallen significantly -- plus he's shooting them more than last year! Last year just under 27% of his attempts were 3s. This year it's almost 34%. His shot attempts are down overall, but his 3 pt. attempts are actually up. That's not a good recipe given the way his % has tumbled.

The other problem is turnovers -- they are up by 31%.

Here's a way to think about it: per 40 minutes last year Brad had a combined 7.75 TOs & missed 3's. This year that number is over 10.15. That's over 30% more!

I posted this on the game thread, but it probably belongs here:

Beal was beyond awful in his first 3 games. Since then, he has merely been sub-par, but not really that terrible. Excluding his first 3 games, he is averaging 24.3 points, 6.9 assists, 5.4 rebounds and 4.0 turnovers while posting a TS% of .547 and a 3P% of .319. League average TS% is .549.

His 4.0 turnovers per game (excluding the first 3 games) hurts, but it's really not that bad for a high usage player. His TOV% (excluding the first 3 games) is 15.3. For comparison, there are 22 other guards in the league that are coughing up the ball more often per possession, including guys like Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball, Darius Garland, Kyle Lowry and James Harden. That said, Beal's TOV% is a bit more painful because of his extraordinarily high USG%. But it probably falls on Wes Jr. to get his usage down a bit. Beal shouldn't have a 32.6% USG% (ranks 7th in the league) on a team with Dinwiddie.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1691 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:52 pm

Good information -- but I'm not sure Dinwiddie's usage is too low -- he has only had one season where he's taken more shots per 40 minutes than this year.

All the same, the effect of Brad's first 3 games will go down as the season progresses. Moreover, part of his miserable scoring efficiency reflects his not getting to the line as frequently as in the past -- & that's the same for pretty much everyone.

Brad's TS% on the season so far (including those first 3 games) just on 2 point shots & FTAs is .562 -- & that figur exactly matches his overall career TS%.

In fact, leave out Brad's 3 point attempts/makes altogether, & imagine his TOs were at his career average, & his productivity comes out about the same as in 2018-19 (arguably his best year overall).

Of course, you can't actually do that -- you get a fictional picture. But it certainly makes it clear where his problems lie!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#1692 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:54 am

Whatever they pay this guy Brandon Ingram is worth more money

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#1693 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:55 am

If anybody in Bradley bee's family is in Hawaii look me up I will treat

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1694 » by FAH1223 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:18 pm

Guys, the fact that Ted has green lit the 4 year max $181M extension on October 1 means he will green light the 5 year $235M offer on July 1. It's gonna happen. It is what it is.

Plus, he's the Assistant GM. Listen to this:
Read on Twitter

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1695 » by Ruzious » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:17 pm

There's just no reason for Beal to decline this much as a 3 point shooter. Problem is - there's no sign of it getting back to where it was. Why did it die? He's short on almost all of them. What in the hell is the deal with that? Do we not have a shooting coach?

Of course he'll sign here. He knows we'll overpay him. Why wouldn't he sign here?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1696 » by pcbothwel » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:19 pm

Beal is going to have a monster month here soon and all will be forgiven. I dont say that as a blind fan, but just precedent.
Beal is a 28 y/o All-NBA caliber player in his prime, in tremendous shape, with no injury history.
Look at his 3 & 5 year trends for FT%, FTr, 2pt%, etc.... There is simply no precedent for a player this good, focused, and healthy that has improved constantly to fall off like this. Especially with the best team and coaching of his career.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1697 » by JWizmentality » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Maybe it's just me but his body language looked horrendous last night.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1698 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:24 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Maybe it's just me but his body language looked horrendous last night.

His body language looks horrendous most of the time.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#1699 » by Frichuela » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Looking at the 3pt shooting percentage rankings league wide, it’s quite depressing that this season Beal is 143 out of 147 players…one would think that he is due a hot streak to bring up his percentage to at least low 30s…

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2022_totals.html#totals_stats::fg3_pct
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1700 » by dlts20 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm not with the trade Beal, don't max, he sucks crew. I just want him to get out of his funk. It's disheartening seeing him neck and neck with Steph last year for the scoring title and seeing Steph easily doing whatever he wants right now while Brad isn't even our All Star.

Also, Brad hasn't gotten huge the last couple of years but he's definitely bulkier, with wide strong shoulders, etc. Do you think maybe that affected his 3 ball. Bottom line is we can look night and day if he looks like a explosive scorer again and if Rui puts it all together. Not super confident in Spencer this year but I also won't judge him as harshly since he has an legit excuse

Return to Washington Wizards