Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,960

Re: Coby White discussion thread 

Post#441 » by Wingy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:12 pm

dougthonus wrote:
coldfish wrote:Just to be super clear: I would take last night's version of Coby, or even a lesser facsimile, every day of the week. Having a 3rd perimeter scorer who can create his own shot would make the Bulls offense absurd and if he plays defense well, not give up much on that end.

I just don't think that a guy who goes 9/10 one night and 1/10 the next night is super helpful for a team trying to win a lot more than 50 games. Those 1/10 nights are team killers.

Coby obviously needs to find consistency, and I'm not some huge Coby believer by any stretch, but I'm willing to give him 10 games to see if he can do it before forming too much of an opinion on him.

He defended well last night too which was nice to see. That said, I think the Magic, especially without Anthony, are not a hard team to defend.

What I’m most encouraged by is seeing him do the right thing more often than not as of late. Sure, he’ll struggle at times due to lack of burst, or T-Rex wing span, or slower reactions, but at least he’s staying attached and trying to fight over screens. Last year he’d too often get lost, be slow to react, and compound it going underneath. Starting to show the instincts to try to do the right thing is a big step in the right direction.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,656

Post#442 » by sco » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:37 pm

Wingy wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
coldfish wrote:Just to be super clear: I would take last night's version of Coby, or even a lesser facsimile, every day of the week. Having a 3rd perimeter scorer who can create his own shot would make the Bulls offense absurd and if he plays defense well, not give up much on that end.

I just don't think that a guy who goes 9/10 one night and 1/10 the next night is super helpful for a team trying to win a lot more than 50 games. Those 1/10 nights are team killers.

Coby obviously needs to find consistency, and I'm not some huge Coby believer by any stretch, but I'm willing to give him 10 games to see if he can do it before forming too much of an opinion on him.

He defended well last night too which was nice to see. That said, I think the Magic, especially without Anthony, are not a hard team to defend.

What I’m most encouraged by is seeing him do the right thing more often than not as of late. Sure, he’ll struggle at times due to lack of burst, or T-Rex wing span, or slower reactions, but at least he’s staying attached and trying to fight over screens. Last year he’d too often get lost, be slow to react, and compound it going underneath. Starting to show the instincts to try to do the right thing is a big step in the right direction.

Coby's defensive problems have never been effort driven, but as you say, it has been the combo of physical stature and slow reaction time. The key, IMO, is whether that reaction time has been more about his learning curve than low BBIQ (which I don't think is a problem for him). As a bench guy, he's guarding elite scorers less often, which helps. I also think that having a Ball or Caruso on the floor to call out the defensive rotations has helped everyone from a recognition perspective and sped up defensive rotations.

On offense, which is the key for Coby, as a rookie (which we remember more fondly than last season), he was a scorer and didn't have to think, which hurt him last year. He needs to get back to that and also learn what are good shots for him and focus on going to those spots.
:clap:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,313

Post#443 » by coldfish » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:53 pm

When you watch Caruso play defense, he anticipates everything. When defending pick and roll, he frequently moves to get over the pick before the ball handler. That extra step makes a huge difference.

Coby in the past has been the opposite end of the spectrum. The ball handler moves towards the pick, Coby thinks for a millisecond and then goes. End result is that the ball handler is over the pick before him and the big man defender is now 1 on 2 as both offensive players come at him.

I really haven't seen Coby doing that level of anticipation. The only improvement I have seen is that he is rotating onto open players. That's a good thing but a lot of Coby's defensive improvements are based around him coming off the bench and guarding low end players. IMO, as starting PG he would still be problematic.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#444 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:55 pm

coldfish wrote:When you watch Caruso play defense, he anticipates everything. When defending pick and roll, he frequently moves to get over the pick before the ball handler. That extra step makes a huge difference.

Coby in the past has been the opposite end of the spectrum. The ball handler moves towards the pick, Coby thinks for a millisecond and then goes. End result is that the ball handler is over the pick before him and the big man defender is now 1 on 2 as both offensive players come at him.

I really haven't seen Coby doing that level of anticipation. The only improvement I have seen is that he is rotating onto open players. That's a good thing but a lot of Coby's defensive improvements are based around him coming off the bench and guarding low end players. IMO, as starting PG he would still be problematic.

Well his days of starting for us are over so is that really a concern? Ball/LaVine will likely be our backcourt for a LONG time.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#445 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:43 pm

coldfish wrote:When you watch Caruso play defense, he anticipates everything. When defending pick and roll, he frequently moves to get over the pick before the ball handler. That extra step makes a huge difference.

This is what defense is. I mean you need to do that if you wanna be great defender. This is why we were winning 27 games per season. Tools, athleticism are worth nothing if you can't anticipate, move before even ballhander knows he is going that way. Specially if you are guard. There is no fixing that mind you unless you decide you will study tape each night because you can't go to next game and try anticipate it if you have zero awareness around yourself. You will look even more terrible.

Return to Chicago Bulls