ImageImageImage

Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,928

Re: Woj: Ime Udoka Named Head Coach 

Post#381 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Not a lot of complaints when team was winning 8 of 11 games. So since rise in Ime criticism came right after we got beat by a contender, I wonder if Jays shooting 1/17 from three had something to do with what Ime did or failed to do.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,573

Post#382 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm

Udoka hasn’t been anything special but he certainly isn’t the reason the Celtics are 10-9. Celtics lack talent or the talent hasn’t matured yet. Celtics missed 1,356 wide open shots last night. That not coaching, it’s lack of talent
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,966

Post#383 » by cl2117 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:09 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Udoka hasn’t been anything special but he certainly isn’t the reason the Celtics are 10-9. Celtics lack talent or the talent hasn’t matured yet. Celtics missed 1,356 wide open shots last night. That not coaching, it’s lack of talent

The problem I had with last night is that he wasn't able to get them to stick to a consistent game script.

We missed a ton of wide open shots, but as the game got away from us we fell into bad habits of trying to catch up by continuing to launch threes and gave up on having good possessions. The ball needs to touch the paint on EVERY possession. We just completely stopped doing that and it was one of the primary drivers of our recent resurgence. Ime's gotta be the guy to drive that home to these guys and keep them on a a solid game plan.

I know the Nets were packing the paint and there weren't going to be easy buckets in there, but it'd keep them moving and at least keep getting those wide open shots. If they don't go, they don't go, but at least there is a consistency there that you can keep building off of.

I also found it head scratching that he gave up on Kanter. He was one of the only offensive positives early on and then just disappeared. With how many bricks we were laying, he could have easily had 20 points off of put backs alone. The Nets had no serious inside presence and that's Enes' bread and butter.

Romeo was one of the other lone bright spots and he all of a sudden got iced out after a couple nice possessions of penetrating. He and Schroder both are guys who can create for others simply by being aggressive and we ended up still being a completely perimeter oriented team.

I loved Udoka catching a tech for calling out the awful reffing, but I want to see him hold these guys to account for their freelancing. Brad struggled to do it and I thought one of the major benefits of bringing in a new voice would be to break through to these guys.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#384 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:13 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Udoka hasn’t been anything special but he certainly isn’t the reason the Celtics are 10-9. Celtics lack talent or the talent hasn’t matured yet. Celtics missed 1,356 wide open shots last night. That not coaching, it’s lack of talent

It me trying to look for Doncic, Jokic, Curry, or KD on the floor when fans say we should be better offensively.

We're overrating the Jays. Until one of them emerges as an MVP candidate and plays more consistently as a top-tier guy (or we trade for one), more likely than not that we don't get back to true contention. Ime has done a fantastic job already establishing the defensive identity of the team. Offensive system team employs and its ceiling are still dictated by the stars you have. Utah might be an exception but then again, they've yet to do anything special in the playoffs. Bucks half-court offense was terrible but won it all with their defense and a guy named Giannis.

First-time coaches who won titles recently had Kawhi, Lebron, KD, and Curry in case people forget plus injury luck in Nurse's case.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,009

Post#385 » by Hal14 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:52 am

The Hawks roster is just as good as ours .

we've had more injuries so far this season.

yet the celtics and hawks are both 10-9. hmm, funny, isn't it? almost like we shouldn't blame the coach. since most people thought Nate mcmillan from the hawks should have won coach of the year last year.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#386 » by Hal14 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:57 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Not a lot of complaints when team was winning 8 of 11 games. So since rise in Ime criticism came right after we got beat by a contender, I wonder if Jays shooting 1/17 from three had something to do with what Ime did or failed to do.

Agreed with all of that except, the nets are not just a contender. They're THE contender. Gun to my head, the teams most likely to win the title this year are:

1) nets
2) bucks
3) jazz
4) suns
5) warriors

No shame in losing to the nets.

if irving and harden were healthy last season, they win it all. hell, if harden was healthy 100% last year in playoffs, they win it all. he's that good, and the difference between playoff harden 2021 and 100% healthy harden is that big..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#387 » by Hal14 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:03 am

Dangit wrote:Not a huge fan of him ... but it is what it is
lol what great analysis here
Dangit
Starter
And1: 1,902

Post#388 » by Dangit » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Dangit wrote:Not a huge fan of him ... but it is what it is
lol what great analysis here

That's as nice as I can be ..
Postby YouthMovement on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 pm

im 19 and i can say paul pierce ruined my childhood
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,748

Post#389 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:31 pm

I donlike Ime and how he prioritizes defense and even he defensive sets.

But as an offensive coach he appears clueless 20ish games into the season, but right now I do hold brad more accountable for that as team is generating open looks but not making shots

Outside of horford, every player brought in is a bad shooter
Richardson
Juancho
Schroder
Bruno
Parker

At this point we would have been better keeping bergarin and not keeping parker or bringing in juancho.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#390 » by The Corey's » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:58 pm

tlee324 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
tlee324 wrote:Ime may not be doing a great job of fixing the problems, but we can't ignore that these problems existed before he showed up too.

He was brought here to fix the problems. He was apparently the stars on this team preferred choice.

I'm not blaming him, it's way too early. However I think we don't need to be making excuses for him either.

Did you see me making excuses?

Yes I did. You said he's not doing a great job at fixing the problems but the problems existed before he got here.

So the first part is your issue. The second part is the excuse.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#391 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:45 pm

Does anybody know for how many years this guy is signed? It is going to be a loooong wait until he gets fired...

I thought Stevens had bad rotation but this guy takes the cake... brutal rotations all season long...
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#392 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Haven't been around here lately, but I think he's had a mess of a start to his coaching career. I know we're not winning the title this year, but a vet coach would probably have this team in the top 3 of the conference.

- The first 5-7 games with no defensive flexibility to the all switching
- the rotations where sometimes there are 4 non-shooters at once
- how the bigs are used rotation-wise just doesn't seem strategically sound
- tatum/smart playing entire 4th quarters and gassing out every time
- underwhelming ATOs/late game plays
- challenges
- playing jaylen 1000 minutes after covid, calling him out, and then running him into an injury
- Horford has been lit up by guards about 6 times now in 4th quarters with our switching, costing us games

Hope he can get it figured out, but if there aren't major improvements in some of these errors I'd be looking for a plan B next season.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#393 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:32 pm

Best thing Ime has done so far as a coach is not have a Twitter account. Here's Brad when Udoka asked him about starting a social media account...

tlee324
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,352

Post#394 » by tlee324 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:18 pm

The Corey's wrote:
tlee324 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
He was brought here to fix the problems. He was apparently the stars on this team preferred choice.

I'm not blaming him, it's way too early. However I think we don't need to be making excuses for him either.

Did you see me making excuses?

Yes I did. You said he's not doing a great job at fixing the problems but the problems existed before he got here.

So the first part is your issue. The second part is the excuse.

That's seriously stupid. Because you also said you're not blaming him, lol

My point is that getting rid of him alone doesn't fix the issue. I don't see him being a great coach right now in general, but he clearly inherited something bad that was here before him, and it'll exist whenever he goes.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#395 » by captain green » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:35 pm

I haven't been a fan since day one but I shut up early because nobody know how first year coaches fair. My first choice is in college Duke Ladies my second choice is still with Spurs ( Becky). Third choice was Kidd then billups. However I thought to myself dude has all the praise and respect of the players and other coaches. I thought Brad gave them a decent roster full of potential. I've seen nothing from him that I'm particularly happy about still ! But I doubt he gets fired one year or even two years in a deal. We are stuck with this regiment like it or not. I was 100% we would upgrade by deadline now I'm not sure it won't be just to get under the cap.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#396 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:47 pm

thebirdman wrote:Does anybody know for how many years this guy is signed? It is going to be a loooong wait until he gets fired...

I thought Stevens had bad rotation but this guy takes the cake... brutal rotations all season long...

Casual take. Every fan base in the league thinks their coach's rotations are brutal. I suppose every coach should be fired lol

You need to take into context how inconsistent the players have been from an availability standpoint. Obviously the rotations won't be consistent if Rob and J-Rich are out for a few games. Then J-Rich comes back but then Schroder is out. Then there's random games when Al doesn't play. Jaylen was out for a while.

Then you have a guy who I think Ime expected to be in the rotation (Pritchard) suffered a broken nose injury that nobody could have predicted - and he just hasn't been as good, after crushing it in summer league. Langford has missed some games.

Ime didn't play Kanter early on at all. But Kanter has gotten minutes these last few games and played well. Now, you can criticize Ime and say that based on these last 2 or 3 games, he should have been playing kanter all along - but on the flip side you can say that Ime played the guys who earned minutes with their play in practice and in games - and that Kanter is not a good floor spacer on offense or a switchable defender so that's why he wasn't playing before..
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,748

Post#397 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:17 pm

Ime is running guys into the ground.
Ime insists on defense only lineups

Brad brought in NO offensive players
Hal14
RealGM

Post#398 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:27 pm

Banks2Pierce wrote:Haven't been around here lately, but I think he's had a mess of a start to his coaching career. I know we're not winning the title this year, but a vet coach would probably have this team in the top 3 of the conference.

- The first 5-7 games with no defensive flexibility to the all switching
- the rotations where sometimes there are 4 non-shooters at once
- how the bigs are used rotation-wise just doesn't seem strategically sound
- tatum/smart playing entire 4th quarters and gassing out every time
- underwhelming ATOs/late game plays
- challenges
- playing jaylen 1000 minutes after covid, calling him out, and then running him into an injury
- Horford has been lit up by guards about 6 times now in 4th quarters with our switching, costing us games

Hope he can get it figured out, but if there aren't major improvements in some of these errors I'd be looking for a plan B next season.

1) Imagine jumping to such conclusions and being so overly critical of a guy who's only 21 games into his first ever head coaching gig.

2) Here's what other coaches did during their first 21 games

Gregg Popovich = 8-13 (ok, so you want to dismiss this one cause David Robinson was out the whole year and it was the season before they drafted duncan? Ok, let's look at first 21 games of the following season? With Duncan and healthy Robinson. Pop's record was 11-10.

Quin Snyder = 5-16 (many think he should have won 2021 coach of year)

Tom Thibodeau = 13-8 (won 2021 coach of year)

Mike Budenholzer = 11-10 (in case you weren't aware, he just won the 2021 NBA championship)

Erik Spoelstra = 12-9

Chauncey Billups = 10-10 (i include him in this list since he was rumored to be a candidate for the celtics job when we hired Ime. His Blazers have only played 21 games so far. They're playing against the Jazz tonight so will likely drop to 10-11)

Steve Nash = 13-8

James Borrego = 11-10

Billy Donovan = 13-8

Mike Malone = 6-15 (considered by many to be one of the better coaches in the league over the past few years)

Keep in mind that for most of these coaches, their first year as a HC was a few years ago when the league was not as competitive from top to bottom as it is now. The comparison to Billups is the closest one - both are first time head coaches this season, both have rosters with fairly similar talent level, both have a star player who has struggled shooting the ball early on this season (tatum, Lillard). Pretty sure we've had more guys out with injury/illness than they have, yet we basically have same record as them. And I highly doubt Blazers fans are being so overly critical of Billups' coaching, to the point where they're even talking about how they want him fired - this is laughable.

3) The part of your post that i bolded is simply not true IMO. I can recall maybe 1 time where this happened. To say it happened 6 times and all 6 times it cost us the game is hyperbole at its finest. Not to mention, is that really Ime's fault if the PLAYERS don't perform/execute the gameplan? It's a gray area and debatable in terms of whether you blame the coach for the gameplan or the players for their inability to execute the gameplan. Of course, the lazy route is to always just default to blaming the coach. For the most part, Horford has been excellent at switching onto guards.

4) Most of the other points you made are highly debatable / subjective. Some of the points you made are also really vague like the one where all you said was "challenges" :lol:

5) what exactly is a non-shooter? Is Horford a non-shooter? He finished last season above the league average in 3 point shooting. Is Schroder a non shooter? He shot 38.5%, well above the league average from 3 just 2 yrs ago. Is Smart a non shooter? During the 3 seasons before this one, he shot better from 3 than Trae Young Luke Doncic, Demar Derozan, Bradley Beal, etc. Is Richardson a non-shooter? He's shooting 34% from 3, which last I checked was right at the league average this season - he's shot better than that for a full season 3 times. To make it such a yes or no, black or white thing seems silly to me - a shooter or a non-shooter. Nobody even uses those terms outside of this Celtics board. I mean, would you call Pritchard and Nesmith shooters? Last season yes, this season no. It's highly subjective.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,275

Post#399 » by Parliament10 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 12:49 am

Read on Twitter

Udoka is coming along, as a Rookie Coach.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#400 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:53 am

Does anyone else feel like has done a great job in getting these guys under control?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to Boston Celtics