ImageImageImage

Tobias Harris Trade Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,086

Re: Tobias Harris Trade Thread 

Post#661 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Harris is playing FANTASTIC basketball for us right now.
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 409

Post#662 » by Zumramania » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:04 pm

Yeah, he is really helping us win those games ;)
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#663 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:13 pm

Zumramania wrote:Yeah, he is really helping us win those games ;)

Add $60m of players back into the rotation and we'd win those games.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#664 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:10 am

Kobblehead wrote:Harris is playing FANTASTIC basketball for us right now.

He’s getting exposed on defense without Ben.
-5.2 DRaptor

He’s getting outrebounded and bullied in the paint.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,536

Post#665 » by SixthStreet » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:35 pm

Harris has played two games since health and safety protocol. One was a typical bad game (of which he has plenty of) and the other an obvious outlier (of which we have years of data). It was just his 5th game as a Sixer with double digit free throw attempts including playoffs. Not sure where one gets all caps fantastic out of that. A good game no doubt but also no hope that it was anything but a one off performance.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,705

Post#666 » by the_process » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:00 pm

Time to push Tobi on Sacto again for Barnes and Bagley.

Sacto is obviously the best spot for a Ben trade as well.

Seems to me these two teams line up for a real blockbuster.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#667 » by Negrodamus » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:14 pm

76ciology wrote:

-5.2 DRaptor

Yea, but he's currently a +2.5 LIGMA on defense which suggests otherwise.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#668 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:02 pm

76ciology wrote:

-5.2 DRaptor

He's posting a career high 24.5% defensive rebounding rate.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#669 » by Kobblehead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:04 pm

Career best rebounding percentage, career best assist percentage, career best per minute scoring production. I stand by the opinion that Harris has been fantastic for us this year.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,004

Post#670 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:51 pm

It is all about being able to score efficiently on a decent volume, defense doesn't really matter anymore. Tobias is scoring efficiently, that is all that matters really.
Horrible takes since 2016
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,657

Post#671 » by stormi » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:07 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/r2sscy/question_about_tobias_harris/

Interesting. I would have thought our little #ToBYEusOut committee on here was a vocal minority being overshadowed by the PPG infatuated more casual subspace of the fanbase.

I truly wonder how Morey views the player independent of that hideous contract.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,850

Post#672 » by mjkvol » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:52 pm

stormi wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/r2sscy/question_about_tobias_harris/

Interesting. I would have thought our little #ToBYEusOut committee on here was a vocal minority being overshadowed by the PPG infatuated more casual subspace of the fanbase.

Exactly what I keep wondering. If casual fans recognize the 'truth' about Tobias, there's no doubt the entire league does as well, like a market that has peaked once the general public catches on.

Problem is, the contract can't be separated from the player with regard to finding a trade partner, and we would likely have to pay heavily to divest ourselves from that albatross.

One thing I keep seeing from people who know all of his limitations that I don't really get is this idea of him being a fine 3rd option if you just forget about the contract. Contract or no contract, how can a ball stopping iso player who isn't a volume 3 pt. shooter and can't be counted on in big spots be considered a 'fine 3rd option' on a team running a system contrary to his 'strengths'? Maybe if he is coming off the bench his value can be better utilized, but then you get to the idea of a max money player running with the 2nd unit.

Problem is that we don't have a guy to start at the 4, which is why that should be the #1 priority of any Simmons trade.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
stormi
General Manager

Post#673 » by stormi » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:04 pm

mjkvol wrote:
stormi wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/r2sscy/question_about_tobias_harris/

Exactly what I keep wondering. If casual fans recognize the 'truth' about Tobias, there's no doubt the entire league does as well, like a market that has peaked once the general public catches on.

Problem is, the contract can't be separated from the player with regard to finding a trade partner, and we would likely have to pay heavily to divest ourselves from that albatross.

One thing I keep seeing from people who know all of his limitations that I don't really get is this idea of him being a fine 3rd option if you just forget about the contract. Contract or no contract, how can a ball stopping iso player who isn't a volume 3 pt. shooter and can't be counted on in big spots be considered a 'fine 3rd option' on a team running a system contrary to his 'strengths'? Maybe if he is coming off the bench his value can be better utilized, but then you get to the idea of a max money player running with the 2nd unit.

Problem is that we don't have a guy to start at the 4, which is why that should be the #1 priority of any Simmons trade.

I just think the entire way he plays basketball is outdated. It isn't 2008 anymore and the pace of play of faster than ever before. He's kind of a dinosaur in the way that Jah was, except Tobi just slipped his way in the door - where as the league flipped on Okafor as soon as he arrived.

I was looking at the standings earlier, I could see younger-ish winning teams being interested in adding a scorer like Tobi for a playoff push. Teams like Charlotte/Washington/Dallas. Teams that are having good seasons, but without genuine aspirations of winning a championship this year. The problem is, we'd almost guaranteed have to take back another vile contract in the swap.

A Bertans from Washington. Maybe a Hayward from Charlotte (who's a better player than Tobi, but made of glass). A Dwight Powell or something from Dallas. A Porzingod swap could have been feasible last summer when the rumors of turmoil between him and Luka were floating around. His value was in the gutter. He also cannot stay healthy, but he's been a monster this year so he's out of Tobi's realm as well.

But assessing what Tobias would be worth on top of bad contracts is just hard for me to gauge. I feel like his rep is inflated around the league. Whenever I watch national Sixers broadcasts, his name is the first to come up for plaudits. He gets a lot of credit for whatever we achieved last season, and he's kind of fallen into that CJM/Conley niche of 'deserved/underrated/hipster snubbed all-star'.

It would be the heist of his life if Morey was able to swindle a GM, the way Jerry West did to us.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,850

Post#674 » by mjkvol » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:10 pm

stormi wrote:I just think the entire way he plays basketball is outdated. It isn't 2008 anymore and the pace of play of faster than ever before. He's kind of a dinosaur in the way that Jah was, except Tobi just slipped his way in the door - where as the league flipped on Okafor as he arrived.

I was looking at the standings earlier, I could see younger-ish winning teams being interested in adding a scorer like Tobi for a playoff push. Teams like Charlotte/Washington/Dallas. Teams that are having good seasons, but without genuine aspirations of winning a championship this year. The problem is, we'd almost guaranteed have to take back another vile contract in the swap.

A Bertans from Washington. Maybe a Hayward from Charlotte (who's a better player than Tobi, but made of glass). A Dwight Powell or something from Dallas. A Porzingod swap could have been feasible last summer when the rumors of turmoil between him and Luka were floating around. His value was in the gutter. He also cannot stay healthy, but he's been a monster this year so he's out of Tobi's realm as well.

But assessing what Tobias would be worth on top of bad contracts is just hard for me to gauge. I feel like his rep is inflated around the league. Whenever I watch national Sixers broadcasts, his name is the first to come up for plaudits. He gets a lot of credit for whatever we achieved last season, and he's kind of fallen into that CJM/Conley niche of 'deserved/underrated/hipster snubbed all-star'.

It would be the heist of his life if Morey was able to swindle a GM, the way Jerry West did to us.

The gushing praise from game broadcasters, both local and national, is crazy, but predictable. The CJM/Conley comparison is a good one, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get an all-star nod this year, laughable as that might be to us. Certainly Morey sees this, but it's likely that the earliest we would see a deal done would be next off season.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,750

Post#675 » by Negrodamus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:14 pm

I’m curious, is the idea to unload him for cap relief? What’s the gameplan if everyone knows he sucks and is a negative value?
stormi
General Manager

Post#676 » by stormi » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:23 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I’m curious, is the idea to unload him for cap relief? What’s the gameplan if everyone knows he sucks and is a negative value?

Does everyone know/think that? Do you?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#677 » by 76ciology » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:04 pm

I dont think Tobias is an obsolete player.

It’s just like Maxey, Tobias isnt good enough to be a go to guy. But he is asked to be a go to guy option when we don’t have embiid on the floor. Without Tobi or Embiid, we’re relying on Korkmaz’ hail mary, Maxeys heavily challenged drives or Drummond imitating Kevin McHale with his up and unders going nowhere.

And like Maxey, Tobias can be an efficient 20ppg scorer by scoring in the flow of offense.

Tobi actually is a great fit on this offense we’re running, it’s a very similar offense to what Doc run with Tobi with the Clips.

The problem with Tobias is without Ben, he gets less mismatches and gets exposed on defense. And this problem will be really evident in the playoffs when things get more physical and he has to defend bigger PFs like Giannis.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#678 » by Tomjas » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 pm

I think it’s fair to assume that other teams execs would share the same view of Tobias as many of us do as they actually watch rivals play more than fans of other teams

Fans only see him play occasionally so simply look at his ppg and contract rather than things like fit
the_process
RealGM

Post#679 » by the_process » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:54 pm

Regardless of what is said publicly, they have to know he has to go. Even if you have to pay to do it.
the_process
RealGM

Post#680 » by the_process » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:55 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I’m curious, is the idea to unload him for cap relief? What’s the gameplan if everyone knows he sucks and is a negative value?

Addition by subtraction. Team is better without him. Just get another bomber to split time with Niang.

Spurs or Wizards.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers