Update: TJ Warren out After Foot Fracture thru 2021-22 season

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Update: TJ Warren still out After Foot Fracture 

Post#61 » by 8305 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Tom White wrote:
8305 wrote:As for the age difference I see little chance of resigning Turner if we are using him as a spot player. Which i think is what you see for him.

So, Turner is going to go from a 30 minutes a game player to being a "spot player"? Previously you've said the team should play Sabonis at the 5 and surround him with four defensive players (excluding Turner) because playing him at the 4 with Turner exposed Sabo's weakness as a perimeter defender. That's Sabonis' problem, not Turner's problem. Then proposing getting Grant and talking about Thad as if they are cures?

How about this. Just make a post saying you don't like Turner and let it go at that?

I like Turner. I like that he's a good teammate and an overall good guy. He's a really solid two way player. I think you could get more (maybe a lot more) out of him offensively if he could play the 5 on offense full time. He'd be an even scarier defender if you surrounded him with four solid defenders. I just don't like that when he and Domas are on the floor together both are lesser players than they could be. And, that wouldn't be a problem if we had better guys at the other positions.

Fast forward two years, assume he's being used largely the same way as now with the offense running through Sabonis. How likely is it that we resign him?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#62 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Nov 4, 2021 1:45 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by 8305 » Thu Nov 4, 2021 10:07 am

While Levert stepped onto the court and immediately looked his old self I’ll be surprised if the same happens with Warren. All that down time……if he could have the rust off by the Playoffs I’d be happy.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#64 » by Pacersike » Thu Nov 4, 2021 11:26 am

8305 wrote:While Levert stepped onto the court and immediately looked his old self I’ll be surprised if the same happens with Warren. All that down time……if he could have the rust off by the Playoffs I’d be happy.

If not in time for the playoffs , cheap (in mental madness world) contract coming again :D .
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,296

Post#65 » by boomershadow » Fri Nov 5, 2021 1:43 pm

If I were in charge, and admittedly I never have been yet lol, I would bring him off the bench at first and slowly increase his minutes and workload. He is gonna need to get his feel back, his conditioning, and monitor his health.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#66 » by Tom White » Fri Nov 5, 2021 2:48 pm

boomershadow wrote:If I were in charge, and admittedly I never have been yet lol, I would bring him off the bench at first and slowly increase his minutes and workload. He is gonna need to get his feel back, his conditioning, and monitor his health.

Yep. Getting into "game shape" is going to be a biggie for him. I'm sure he has been doing some work, like lifting and such, but it is nothing like being on the floor in an actual game. Plus, he will have to get his confidence in his body back again. The mental aspect is going to be just as important for him.
Hoop Heavy
Rookie

Post#67 » by Hoop Heavy » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:34 am

Looks like another tough year for the Pacers on the injury front. I had my eye on Warren in Phoenix and always considered him underrated - still it's Booker's turn there, right? He looked great in the early days with Indy and I thought he was really coming into his own. Sucks that he got such a short run as a starter ... of course he could return and continue to get better - but it's a long break for someone who had just found their rhythm. Confidence is so important in consistent shooting.

Sucks for the team too. He really sparked the offense. Warren's ability to get his own shot off, gave Brogdon the ability to just spot up instead of creating all the time - Brogdon's such a good shooter. Milwaukee was crazy to let Malcolm go.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#68 » by Wizop » Mon Nov 8, 2021 2:05 pm

Hoop Heavy wrote:Looks like another tough year for the Pacers on the injury front. I had my eye on Warren in Phoenix and always considered him underrated

he's out of a boot and practicing in regular shoes. he should be playing before New Years. he'll probably come off the bench at first.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Nov 8, 2021 3:06 pm

From Shams Charania in his new The Athletic article

Indiana Pacers
There’s optimism that Pacers swingman TJ Warren will be able to make his season debut sometime in late December or January, sources said. Warren missed all but four games in 2020-21 and has yet to play this season due to lingering issues from his injured left foot. He recently got out of a walking boot and is progressing in his rehab.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
SpecialAnomaly
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#71 » by SpecialAnomaly » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:47 pm

Considering the improvements our offense has seen since TJ was last healthy, including the addition of Duarte, Levert, & Myles' this far improved shooting touch, I'm really interested to see what adding him back into the mix does. Even if as a sub, we'll have the versatility to put shooters at every spot on the floor, or go big to counter, or play uptempo with guys like Levert, Duarte & McConnell all without having to be at a disadvantage as each different lineup is capable of excelling . You'd have to make an argument for us being among the most versatile trans in the league.

Defense is still a concern most nights, but hey, I've always maintained that it's better to dominate on one side of the ball than be middle of the pack on both sides!
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#72 » by Tom White » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:05 pm

SpecialAnomaly wrote:.....the most versatile trans in the league.

Uhhhh...

I suppose, if nothing else, we can respect their life choices.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#73 » by Wizop » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:09 pm

Warren is getting closer. I presume he'll start on a pitch count coming off the bench. If we make a full hockey substitution with no starters staying on the floor, what's the 2nd 5? McConnell, Duarte, Warren, but then what? Small ball with Martin and Craig? Goga? Lamb? Jackson? Not Wannamaker or Brissett although I'd like Oshae to get out of the office doghouse.

Eventually Warren starts and Holiday is on the 2nd unit? Does that change anyone else?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 712

Post#74 » by Pacers Forever » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 pm

With Carlisle who really knows what the agenda is ? I know Warren has another scan this next week.
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by 8305 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:01 am

Wizop wrote:Warren is getting closer. I presume he'll start on a pitch count coming off the bench. If we make a full hockey substitution with no starters staying on the floor, what's the 2nd 5? McConnell, Duarte, Warren, but then what? Small ball with Martin and Craig? Goga? Lamb? Jackson? Not Wannamaker or Brissett although I'd like Oshae to get out of the office doghouse.

Eventually Warren starts and Holiday is on the 2nd unit? Does that change anyone else?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

I don’t see full hockey substitution. I expect a nine man rotation that has either Sabonis or Turner on the floor at all times. The off the bench guys being Warren, Duarte, McConnell and either Craig or Martin. I agree that when ready Warren starts and Hoiiday comes off the bench. I don’t have high hopes for the resulting starting lineup. Not near enough quickness for today’s NBA. But, I think that’s KP’s vision and Rick will give it some run.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by Tom White » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:29 pm

8305 wrote: Not near enough quickness for today’s NBA.

Today's NBA? That's not even enough quickness for Yesterday's NBA. (Which wasn't much different, to be honest.)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 1, 2021 10:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#78 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:18 am

Just said on the broadcast that there’s a conference call tomorrow between Pacers medical group and doctor who performed his surgery to possibly establish a time table for return.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#79 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod