Atlanta Braves Offseason

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,005

Atlanta Braves Offseason  

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:34 am

Free agency news, rumors, signings, trades, and more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Atlanta Braves Offseason  

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:35 am

Braves sign veteran catcher Manny Piña

The Braves signed veteran catcher Manny Pina to a two-year, $8 million contract Monday.

The 34-year-old Pina had 13 home runs in 75 games while throwing out 11 of 37 potential base stealers (29.7%) with the Brewers last season. Pina made his major-league debut in 2011 and played the last six seasons in Milwaukee.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/ex-brewers-catcher-pina-signs-two-year-deal-with-braves/BDYS5YLBDJETNIJXJCTY75KJ64/%3foutputType=amp

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#3 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:Braves sign veteran catcher Manny Piña

The Braves signed veteran catcher Manny Pina to a two-year, $8 million contract Monday.

The 34-year-old Pina had 13 home runs in 75 games while throwing out 11 of 37 potential base stealers (29.7%) with the Brewers last season. Pina made his major-league debut in 2011 and played the last six seasons in Milwaukee.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/ex-brewers-catcher-pina-signs-two-year-deal-with-braves/BDYS5YLBDJETNIJXJCTY75KJ64/%3foutputType=amp

I guess they think Contreras and Langerhans aren't ready to be the backup - or they're not confident that d'Arnaud will stay healthy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:18 pm

David O'Brien of The Athletic hears that the Braves are among the teams expressing interest in Justin Verlander.

This comes on the heels of a report from Jon Heyman of MLB Network suggesting Verlander might prefer a team that trains in Florida, which the Braves of course do. The 38-year-old hasn't appeared in a major league game since July 2020 due to elbow issues that led to Tommy John surgery, but he's a future Hall of Famer and would be a headline-grabbing addition for the reigning World Series champs.

RELATED: 

Atlanta Braves

SOURCE: David O'Brien on Twitter

Nov 17, 2021, 12:52 PM ET

www.rotoworld.com

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:45 am

Verlander stays with Astros.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:37 am

Braves reportedly a top suitor for Seiya Suzuki

A stud in Japan’s Professional League is about to be posted in the MLB and there’s some exciting news for Braves fans.
27 year old corner outfielder, Seiya Suzuki has been crushing baseballs in Japan for 9 seasons, carrying a .309/.402/.542 career slash line, and he’s declared that he’s coming to the bigs.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/braves-reportedly-a-top-suitor-for-keiya-suzuki/

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:01 pm

HMFFL wrote:Braves reportedly a top suitor for Seiya Suzuki

A stud in Japan’s Professional League is about to be posted in the MLB and there’s some exciting news for Braves fans.
27 year old corner outfielder, Seiya Suzuki has been crushing baseballs in Japan for 9 seasons, carrying a .309/.402/.542 career slash line, and he’s declared that he’s coming to the bigs.

Wow, that'd be a coup. I imagine he won't come cheap. Are the Braves really willing to pay what it'd take - considering they're likely to spend a lot on Freddie?

I wonder if the Braves end up going after Conforto of the Mets - about a year older than Suzuki, coming off a disappointing year, but a real good player. Maybe the Mets go for Suzuki and Braves get Conforto. Sounds like Soler won't be back, but we'll see.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Braves reportedly a top suitor for Seiya Suzuki

Wow, that'd be a coup. I imagine he won't come cheap. Are the Braves really willing to pay what it'd take - considering they're likely to spend a lot on Freddie?

I wonder if the Braves end up going after Conforto of the Mets - about a year older than Suzuki, coming off a disappointing year, but a real good player. Maybe the Mets go for Suzuki and Braves get Conforto. Sounds like Soler won't be back, but we'll see.
Supposedly seven teams are pursuing him.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#9 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 am

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:36 am

Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32748408/atlanta-braves-sign-reliever-kirby-yates-two-year-825-million-contract

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Works out perfectly for the Braves. They get him for the 2nd half playoffs push and the postseason - real cheap for 2022. He was a freak in 2019 and very good in 2018 and 2017.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 1, 2021 4:13 am

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Braves have "checked in on" A's first baseman Matt Olson.

This could be Plan B for the defending World Series champions if they are unable to re-sign Freddie Freeman. Olson, who has also been connected to the Yankees, registered a career-high .911 OPS with 39 home runs and 111 RBI over 156 games for Oakland in 2021. He's under control through the 2023 season.

RELATED: 

Atlanta Braves

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Nov 30, 2021, 7:16 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#12 » by HMFFL » Wed Dec 1, 2021 4:14 am

Jon Heyman of MLB Network hears that Freddie Freeman "had been seeking" a six-year contract worth about $180 million.

It's unclear whether that asking price has changed, but the star first baseman remains a free agent here on November 30 despite widespread expectations that he would (or will?) ultimately return to the Braves. Heyman reported on Tuesday afternoon that other clubs -- including the Yankees, Dodgers, and Blue Jays -- are now trying to "pry" Freeman away from Atlanta. The 32-year-old batted .300/.393/.503 with 31 home runs and 83 RBI in 159 regular-season games this summer for the World Series champions.

Nov 30, 2021, 4:53 PM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2021 4:50 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jon Heyman of MLB Network hears that Freddie Freeman "had been seeking" a six-year contract worth about $180 million.

It's unclear whether that asking price has changed, but the star first baseman remains a free agent here on November 30 despite widespread expectations that he would (or will?) ultimately return to the Braves. Heyman reported on Tuesday afternoon that other clubs -- including the Yankees, Dodgers, and Blue Jays -- are now trying to "pry" Freeman away from Atlanta. The 32-year-old batted .300/.393/.503 with 31 home runs and 83 RBI in 159 regular-season games this summer for the World Series champions.

Nov 30, 2021, 4:53 PM ET

Braves gotta realize that his value to the organization is more than his stats. He's a fan attraction - now more than ever - and the obvious leader of the team - he sets the tone. Sure, given his age, I'd rather give him a 5 year deal, but... gitterdone. Maybe make the 6th season only partially guaranteed - or defer some of his salary.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:02 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Braves have "checked in on" A's first baseman Matt Olson.

This could be Plan B for the defending World Series champions if they are unable to re-sign Freddie Freeman. Olson, who has also been connected to the Yankees, registered a career-high .911 OPS with 39 home runs and 111 RBI over 156 games for Oakland in 2021. He's under control through the 2023 season.

RELATED: 

Atlanta Braves

Nov 30, 2021, 7:16 PM ET

It would likely cost a TON to get Olson - keeping in mind that he put up that .911 OPS playing half his games in Oakland - a huge pitcher's park. He was 3rd in the AL in adjusted OPS+ behind Guerrero and Ohtani - that's some good company.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#15 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 11:50 pm

I would easily give Freddie the 6/180 deal, that he is looking for.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:20 am

Braves select four players in MiLB Rule 5 Draft; one of them traded today

Friday, December 10, 2021
-Clint Manry
With the MLB portion of this year’s Rule 5 Draft currently on hold due to a lockout, the minor leagues went ahead with its draft on Wednesday as a total of 51 players came off the board, including four that were chosen by the Braves.
With the first pick in the draft, the Orioles selected righty Nolan Hoffman no. 1 – a 24-year-old, former fifth-round pick by Seattle in 2015. Hoffman, pitching for the Mariner’s Single-A and High-A clubs, posted a 3.74 ERA in 51 combined innings in the minors in 2021.

Later in the first-round, at pick no. 6, the Rockies selected lefty Gabriel Rodriguez – an unprotected Braves minor leaguer. In Atlanta’s system, Rodriguez – a 31st-round pick in 2018 – had just gotten a taste of full-season ball this past season, making 26 relief appearances and one start, on his way to an 8.44 ERA with Single-A Augusta. The southpaw will enter his age-23 season looking to rebound in 2022, though as a 19-year-old in 2019, Rodriguez posted strong numbers with the Braves GCL team (rookie ball) during his pro debut, maintaining a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings. Rodriguez is a solid player, but given the Braves incredible pitching depth, his departure isn’t too significant.

And to keep with the trend, the Braves picks on Wednesday mainly consisted of arms as three of the team’s four selections were right-handed pitchers:
RD 1, PICK 15 – John Nogowski, 1B (from SFG)
RD 2, PICK 9 – Luis De Avila, RHP (from KCR)
RD 3, PICK 4 – Allan Winans, RHP (from NYM)
RD 4, PICK 3 – Tanner Andrews, RHP (from MIA)

https://bravesfarm.com/2021/12/10/braves-select-four-players-in-milb-rule-5-draft-one-of-them-traded-today/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by HMFFL » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:51 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:I would easily give Freddie the 6/180 deal, that he is looking for.
I expect 6yrs, $210m

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:43 pm

HMFFL wrote:Braves select four players in MiLB Rule 5 Draft; one of them traded today

Friday, December 10, 2021
-Clint Manry
With the MLB portion of this year’s Rule 5 Draft currently on hold due to a lockout, the minor leagues went ahead with its draft on Wednesday as a total of 51 players came off the board, including four that were chosen by the Braves.
With the first pick in the draft, the Orioles selected righty Nolan Hoffman no. 1 – a 24-year-old, former fifth-round pick by Seattle in 2015. Hoffman, pitching for the Mariner’s Single-A and High-A clubs, posted a 3.74 ERA in 51 combined innings in the minors in 2021.

Later in the first-round, at pick no. 6, the Rockies selected lefty Gabriel Rodriguez – an unprotected Braves minor leaguer. In Atlanta’s system, Rodriguez – a 31st-round pick in 2018 – had just gotten a taste of full-season ball this past season, making 26 relief appearances and one start, on his way to an 8.44 ERA with Single-A Augusta. The southpaw will enter his age-23 season looking to rebound in 2022, though as a 19-year-old in 2019, Rodriguez posted strong numbers with the Braves GCL team (rookie ball) during his pro debut, maintaining a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings. Rodriguez is a solid player, but given the Braves incredible pitching depth, his departure isn’t too significant.

And to keep with the trend, the Braves picks on Wednesday mainly consisted of arms as three of the team’s four selections were right-handed pitchers:
RD 1, PICK 15 – John Nogowski, 1B (from SFG)
RD 2, PICK 9 – Luis De Avila, RHP (from KCR)
RD 3, PICK 4 – Allan Winans, RHP (from NYM)
RD 4, PICK 3 – Tanner Andrews, RHP (from MIA)

https://bravesfarm.com/2021/12/10/braves-select-four-players-in-milb-rule-5-draft-one-of-them-traded-today/

I think Winans is the only one with a real chance to make the Braves roster - even though it'd be unusual for a 3rd rounder in the Rule 5 draft to stick. He was great in relief in AA last season, but he has below average velocity on his fastball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 pm

This is a tough call. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/free-agent-faceoff-jorge-soler-vs-eddie-rosario.html

It's the NLCS MVP vs the World Series MVP. I hope the Braves keep one of them. If I had to make the decision, I'd lean towards Soler for his advantages in power and OBP. Neither are particularly good on D, but Rosario is better - and better at making contact.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:08 pm

I was surprised to see the Braves have shown some interest in Carlos Correa - according to an article in mlbtraderumors.com:
Houston’s interest will remain in place, barring a signing of Story or the acquisition of another notable infielder. Mark Berman of Fox 26 reported earlier this month that each of the Red Sox, Cubs and Braves have also been in contact with Correa’s representatives at some point during the offseason. When those clubs reached out and the extent of each respective team’s interest isn’t clear, but it stands to reason at least some of that group will reengage with Correa’s reps whenever the transaction freeze ends.

Dansby's a very popular player and a durable mainstay who hit 27 homers last season. But his OPS+ was 97 - which is below the MLB average of 100, and his defense was bad in the postseason. He's making 10.1 mil next season and on the last year of his contract. Committing to him long-term will probably cost quite a bit - perhaps in the 18 mil a year range. He and Correa are both 27. But Correa was 5th in MVP voting, won the GG, and had a 131 OPS+. Maybe the best thing is to trade Dansby for a prospect or 2 and sign Correa - though it's probably unlikely that the Braves are willing to spend what it'll take to get Correa - especially if they ante up for Freddie.

Return to Atlanta Braves