Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Paolo Banchero 

Post#161 » by Marcus » Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 am

hopefully this isn't one of those never been punished so no need to change anything situations. Hopefully he sees this for what it is and keep himself out those situations going forward.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
SNPA
Head Coach
And1: 7,143

Post#162 » by SNPA » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:53 am

Not to excuse drunk driving, which is clearly a life and death thing, but this isn’t something that will effect Paolo’s draft status (he wasn’t driving(…unless a pattern forms.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#163 » by EMG518 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

I don't think this affects his stock, have you seen him play. Kid looks good on both ends. Any team would want him.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,405

Post#164 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:43 pm

Big matchup tonight vs (name redacted - reason: player is unknown to realgm). Duke vs Gonzaga.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#165 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#166 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 am

TraBuch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
TraBuch wrote:So they were both drunk but the cop only arrested one of them and let the other underage one go on his way while drunk?

i mean, there are the options here:

1) Paolo wasn't drunk, and allowed his drunk friend to drive, which in some ways worse considering he should've offered to drive himself if he wasn't drunk

2) Both were drunk and made a stupid fkn decision to drive, and since Paolo is the possible #1 pick, Sav took one for the team and drove instead.

which one do you think it is?

I dunno what happened. What I do know is that he wasn’t cited for underage drinking and the cop left him there with his car. Savarino had a .08 BAC, which is what, 2 or 3 beers? One shot? Having a BAC of 0.08 may make you legally intoxicated, but it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re drunk.

It'd be 4 beers from a quick google search.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
akhan786
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#167 » by akhan786 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Another game AT Ohio State tonight at 9:30pm
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#168 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm

CptCrunch wrote:I feel like if Paolo just skips the season (gets suspended for the whole season hypothetically), he goes top 3.

If he plays poorly later on or gets injured, he can drop...

If his jumper falls apart, I could see him drop a bit - He'll get comps to Marvin Bagley, and people will focus on his defense being an issue in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,128

Post#169 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Ruzious wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:I feel like if Paolo just skips the season (gets suspended for the whole season hypothetically), he goes top 3.

If his jumper falls apart, I could see him drop a bit - He'll get comps to Marvin Bagley, and people will focus on his defense being an issue in the NBA.

dont see any realistic scenario Paolo drops beyond 3, he's a much better prospect than Bagley. Bags was the one that was highly overrated because of that second jump nonsense.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#170 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Pretty different though. Got their points very differently. Paolo is taking twice as many 3s as Bagley did, Paolo's points come much more within the flow of the offense compared to Bagley. This is coming from a big time Bagley fan coming out of Duke.

Bagley was much more of a low post ball stopper with the offense. Paolo will no doubt dribble a little bit, but its a much more perimeter oriented game and again much more team friendly.

Then defensively there was no doubt that Bagley was a bad defensive player. I honestly dont know how anyone can judge Paolo's defense at the college level. He is in the definition of a defensive bubble at the moment. Mark Williams has a great case for NDPOY to start the year, then you got flat out dogs out on the perimeter with Keels and Moore.

Against UK Tshiebwe put up points but that was all because he is a freak on the offensive boards. Its not like Paolo was getting worked defensively. Then against Gonzaga, Timme and Chet had average games, neither really abused Paolo.

To be clear, this isn't me saying I think Paolo is a stud defender. I honestly have no clue how he is on the defensive end. He is just surrounded by so much defensive talent, its hard to really tell.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#171 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Pretty different though. Got their points very differently. Paolo is taking twice as many 3s as Bagley did, Paolo's points come much more within the flow of the offense compared to Bagley. This is coming from a big time Bagley fan coming out of Duke.

Bagley was much more of a low post ball stopper with the offense. Paolo will no doubt dribble a little bit, but its a much more perimeter oriented game and again much more team friendly.

Then defensively there was no doubt that Bagley was a bad defensive player. I honestly dont know how anyone can judge Paolo's defense at the college level. He is in the definition of a defensive bubble at the moment. Mark Williams has a great case for NDPOY to start the year, then you got flat out dogs out on the perimeter with Keels and Moore.

Against UK Tshiebwe put up points but that was all because he is a freak on the offensive boards. Its not like Paolo was getting worked defensively. Then against Gonzaga, Timme and Chet had average games, neither really abused Paolo.

To be clear, this isn't me saying I think Paolo is a stud defender. I honestly have no clue how he is on the defensive end. He is just surrounded by so much defensive talent, its hard to really tell.

Yeah i was pretty high on Bags too and Banch is night and day compared. Bags was drafted on the potential of him hitting all cylinders and bringing that potential skillset together. Only thing he brought to the table day one was a live body and athleticism. Banch is wayyyyy more well rounded and has tangible evidence of what Bags was capable of turning into.

Fully agree with the defensive points you made as well. Banch has carte blanche to get busy and look studly. As much as i applauded Chet for his school selection, with the development of the returnees at Duke that's looking like the ideal fit around Banch as well for the same reasons.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#172 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:08 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Yeah i was pretty high on Bags too and Banch is night and day compared. Bags was drafted on the potential of him hitting all cylinders and bringing that potential skillset together. Only thing he brought to the table day one was a live body and athleticism. Banch is wayyyyy more well rounded and has tangible evidence of what Bags was capable of turning into.

Fully agree with the defensive points you made as well. Banch has carte blanche to get busy and look studly. As much as i applauded Chet for his school selection, with the development of the returnees at Duke that's looking like the ideal fit around Banch as well for the same reasons.

Ya Ive been doing my normal watching for Duke games

1st watch: 100% zoned in as a fan
re watch: my emotions are out of it and I can focus more on the individual players.

I honestly cant get read on his defense haha. I will say this, I have become a complete non fan of Keels offensively. He disrupts the flow more than anyones else and hasnt had the consistent production to be worth it. But the dude is a dog and the defensive end, he gets at it. Then Moore clearly has a chip on his shoulder for everyone doubting him (I was #1 in the doubt Moore club haha) and he is taking it out on both sides of the ball. Then you have the beast Mark Williams cleaning everything up.

That leaves Paolo just in this comfy little defensive bubble. I keep trying to find pros and cons in his defensive game and its just hard. I want to say some obvious things like, I would like to see more weak side help blocks from him. But there really just isn't much for him to get to. Mark Williams and Theo John just eat up whoever has the ball in the paint.

This would be like someone bashing a UK player for not grabbing enough rebounds this year. It would be like, man I want to see them grab more boards, but hard to do that when Tshiebwe is grabbing every single available rebound. Like ya I want to see Paolo make a bigger defensive impact, but where can he at the moment.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#173 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

re watch: my emotions are out of it and I can focus more on the individual players.

I honestly cant get read on his defense haha. I will say this, I have become a complete non fan of Keels offensively. He disrupts the flow more than anyones else and hasnt had the consistent production to be worth it. But the dude is a dog and the defensive end, he gets at it. Then Moore clearly has a chip on his shoulder for everyone doubting him (I was #1 in the doubt Moore club haha) and he is taking it out on both sides of the ball. Then you have the beast Mark Williams cleaning everything up.

That leaves Paolo just in this comfy little defensive bubble. I keep trying to find pros and cons in his defensive game and its just hard. I want to say some obvious things like, I would like to see more weak side help blocks from him. But there really just isn't much for him to get to. Mark Williams and Theo John just eat up whoever has the ball in the paint.

This would be like someone bashing a UK player for not grabbing enough rebounds this year. It would be like, man I want to see them grab more boards, but hard to do that when Tshiebwe is grabbing every single available rebound. Like ya I want to see Paolo make a bigger defensive impact, but where can he at the moment.

lol facts. all i've been able to really pull from is whether or not he's communicating and how lazy or effective his closeout and contest are. But with all these cramps he keeps getting maybe it's better he doesn't have to work on that end of the floor lol.
Watch More Basketball

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:47 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Great question as to what his defense would look like if wasn't playing next to probably the best rim protector in college basketball. In the NBA, could he be a Horford-like defender while being a number 1 option on offense?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#175 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Great question as to what his defense would look like if wasn't playing next to probably the best rim protector in college basketball. In the NBA, could he be a Horford-like defender while being a number 1 option on offense?

Ya it’s very reminiscent of KAT and that 2015 UK team. KAT got to play alongside WCS who was the SEC DPOY. Then you had Ulis who was the SEC DPOY the following year, and the Harrison twins were good college defenders.

KAT was just in this defensive bubble where he could be out of position defensively and chase blocks and it wouldn’t matter because everyone else on that defense were studs. And people got fooled into thinking here’s KAT pumping out 2.5 blocks a game for the #1 ranked defense in college. The dude is a defensive stud. For us to later find out he severely lacks defensive awareness and good positioning.

So ya I think the Paolo defensive questions are going to be a legit one and one I don’t think anyone will have a great answer on going into the draft. I think most will agree he isn’t a stud defender, but the big question is, will he be a defensive liability? Will he have defensive versatility? Questions we won’t have answers too as long as Duke stays healthy.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#176 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

If Paolo ends up being anything at all special on the defensive end we're looking at franchise level talent. I don't expect that to be the case at all and i think physical profile and some effort should be more than enough to keep him on the floor given what he can do on the offensive end.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#177 » by Marcus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:09 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Ya it’s very reminiscent of KAT and that 2015 UK team. KAT got to play alongside WCS who was the SEC DPOY. Then you had Ulis who was the SEC DPOY the following year, and the Harrison twins were good college defenders.

KAT was just in this defensive bubble where he could be out of position defensively and chase blocks and it wouldn’t matter because everyone else on that defense were studs. And people got fooled into thinking here’s KAT pumping out 2.5 blocks a game for the #1 ranked defense in college. The dude is a defensive stud. For us to later find out he severely lacks defensive awareness and good positioning.

So ya I think the Paolo defensive questions are going to be a legit one and one I don’t think anyone will have a great answer on going into the draft. I think most will agree he isn’t a stud defender, but the big question is, will he be a defensive liability? Will he have defensive versatility? Questions we won’t have answers too as long as Duke stays healthy.

Damn good comp.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#178 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:18 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Great question as to what his defense would look like if wasn't playing next to probably the best rim protector in college basketball. In the NBA, could he be a Horford-like defender while being a number 1 option on offense?

Damn good comp.

Haha it’s that defensive bubble. And the lack of blocked shots from Paolo is probably a good thing from our perspective. Because ya I’m sure if he was averaging 2.5 blocks a game while playing in this stud elite defense, people would be praising his defense right now. Hell I’d probably be posting Twitter video clips of his defensive highlights right now haha. Even though a couple weak side help blocked shots in a college game really tells us nothing about actual defensive ability (again KAT as a great example).

I think the lack of blocked shot numbers helps us (or at least me) temper or view of his defense and is helping get a more nuanced view. And that nuance view is… I have no clue if he’s good or not and probably won’t know haha.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#179 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:04 pm

weird that this thread has dropped all the way to third page. was beginning to wonder if there was even a thread on him - which of course would have been much more bizarre.

anyway, banchero's talent is off the charts. people want to compare any tall, skinny kid who can shoot to KD. and while Banchero's body isn't KD's body, his game, more than any other i've seen in a while is more KDesque. he doesn't take or make as many threes as KD did at the same stage - iow, KD was a more advanced perimeter shooter - but paolo's stroke is pure and he will get there. he has a pull up game, catch and shoot - dude has it all in terms of potential as a shooter. but where a lot of guys who get compared to KD fall short - like Jabari Smith - is that while KD took his threes, he wasn't soft. he didn't settle for jumpers. he attacked the rim, used his size to dominate inside, he rebounded, he put it on the floor, he could create for teammates. he had a well rounded offensive game. that's where the similarities start with paolo.

FSU had an excellent defensive game plan for Banchero last night - it worked and they won. dude still finished with 20 points on 11 shots with 12 boards and 7 assists. my question for banchero is whether he wants to and is willing to dominate. he has the skillset - the game comes easy for him. but will he demand the ball, will be aggressive enough to drop 25-30 every night like the truly great ones do. imo, you have to take him #1 due to his size, athleticism and overall skillset and just hope it clicks and he chooses to the be a superstar rather than just a star.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:17 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:weird that this thread has dropped all the way to third page. was beginning to wonder if there was even a thread on him - which of course would have been much more bizarre.

anyway, banchero's talent is off the charts. people want to compare any tall, skinny kid who can shoot to KD. and while Banchero's body isn't KD's body, his game, more than any other i've seen in a while is more KDesque. he doesn't take or make as many threes as KD did at the same stage - iow, KD was a more advanced perimeter shooter - but paolo's stroke is pure and he will get there. he has a pull up game, catch and shoot - dude has it all in terms of potential as a shooter. but where a lot of guys who get compared to KD fall short - like Jabari Smith - is that while KD took his threes, he wasn't soft. he didn't settle for jumpers. he attacked the rim, used his size to dominate inside, he rebounded, he put it on the floor, he could create for teammates. he had a well rounded offensive game. that's where the similarities start with paolo.

FSU had an excellent defensive game plan for Banchero last night - it worked and they won. dude still finished with 20 points on 11 shots with 12 boards and 7 assists. my question for banchero is whether he wants to and is willing to dominate. he has the skillset - the game comes easy for him. but will he demand the ball, will be aggressive enough to drop 25-30 every night like the truly great ones do. imo, you have to take him #1 due to his size, athleticism and overall skillset and just hope it clicks and he chooses to the be a superstar rather than just a star.

It's unfortunate that it took the Keels injury to show it, but as great a season that Banchero's had, if anything, he's been under-utilized by Coach K. I still don't have a good feel as to what his NBA defense will be, but his offensive game makes him a legit 1st pick in the draft candidate.

Return to NBA Draft