Image ImageImage Image

Options to fix the PF hole

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,083

Re: Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#441 » by MGB8 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:09 am

Hoopsrumors today suggests the Thunder may turn down Roby’s option for next season. I can’t see why they would do that, absent a need for a roster spot. But it does point out that he is not just behind Bazely and Poku, but Kenrich Williams, too.

Maybe he really would be gettable for a 2nd rider plus a Troy Brown or even Alize (since Billy doesn’t seem to have bought in on him).

Fits the mold of what the Bulls lost when Pat went down.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#442 » by FriedRise » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:56 pm

Kinda ironic that Larry Nance would've solved a lot of our problems this year.. an athletic PF/C who can defend, shoot, score, pass, steal, hustle, and rebound. Can even start too if we want more size in the starting lineup.

Didn't win the dunk contest like Airplane Mode, but he did come in second a few years ago. Obviously we won't have DJJ and the Portland pick if we traded Lauri to Cleveland for Nance, but the rotation would've looked something like:

Lonzo / Zach / DeMar / Green / Vooch
Caruso / Coby / Ayo / Nance

Can go 10 deep too + Bradley since Nance can shoot, and teams also can't zone us as easily.
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 553

Post#443 » by Almost Retired » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:48 pm

Possible Help For Next Season Via The 2022 Draft:
Keegan Murray (Iowa, PF, Sophomore)

Projected draft range: Late lottery to late-first round

A Keegan Murray breakout is already happening. He's scored at least 24 points in three consecutive games to start the season after never tallying more than 14 points as a freshman.

If Murray's early shooting flashes are real (four threes, 20-of-21 free throws), it raises his ceiling dramatically. The high-motor energy and instinct plays are definitely real.

At 6'8" and 225 pounds with wheels, Murray maximizes his tools and every ounce of mobility. NBA teams should have an easy time picturing his rim-running, offensive rebounding and defensive playmaking translating.

The role-player qualities NBA teams look for are evident. He's constantly active by putting himself in the right position to make a play, whether it's in transition, as a cutter, put-back threat and off-ball shot-blocker. He rarely turns the ball over, showing high passing IQ and quick processing.

Murray will soar up draft boards with more of the face-up and ball-handling moves he's unleashed so far. There is far more upside than originally thought if he can create for himself to get to the rim and hit the catch-and-shoot corner and wing threes.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Seems to fit the AKME mold....high BBIQ, especially on defense. High motor. Switchable on defense.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,369

Post#444 » by Muzbar » Fri Dec 3, 2021 9:00 pm

What about JaMychal Green from Denver?

Solid 3&D PF that can play small ball C and would be rather cheap to acquire I would imagine.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 2,999

Post#445 » by jordanwilliams6 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 9:17 pm

Acquire Boucher and I think this is mostly solved. We also have to remember that PWill may be back by the playoffs hopefully. No expectations on him but at the very least I think he gives us another option and a big athletic defender to throw at Giannis & Durant if needed.
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#446 » by superdave » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:24 pm

FriedRise wrote:Kinda ironic that Larry Nance would've solved a lot of our problems this year.. an athletic PF/C who can defend, shoot, score, pass, steal, hustle, and rebound. Can even start too if we want more size in the starting lineup.

Didn't win the dunk contest like Airplane Mode, but he did come in second a few years ago. Obviously we won't have DJJ and the Portland pick if we traded Lauri to Cleveland for Nance, but the rotation would've looked something like:

Lonzo / Zach / DeMar / Green / Vooch
Caruso / Coby / Ayo / Nance

Can go 10 deep too + Bradley since Nance can shoot, and teams also can't zone us as easily.

+1.

Watching Nance bully us, I have to agree. He's a supersized Javonte w/ more skill. Unfortunately, the BS tampering thing led AKME pushing for the inclusion of DJJ + protected 1st.

This all being said, DJJ's salary slot plus Portland or our 1st... should be able to net us an upgrade at the TDL
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#447 » by superdave » Sat Dec 4, 2021 5:36 pm

Watching the Clips, they have an excess of bigs. Morris would fit our roster perfectly (grimey, enforcer, 3-pt shooting) and to a lesser degree Ibaka or Hartenstein. Clips don't seem like a willing partner though, unless we find some AKME magic..
gf2020hotmail
Sixth Man
And1: 340

Post#448 » by gf2020hotmail » Sun Dec 5, 2021 6:37 am

The Thunder wouldn't have to take back Brown for Roby. He could just go into the Bull's trade exception from the Theis deal. Maybe they'd be content to dump him and save the money?

Seems like a waste to me though. Would rather aim higher, not that there are a ton of fits out there.
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#449 » by petebraun0 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:36 am

superdave wrote:Watching the Clips, they have an excess of bigs. Morris would fit our roster perfectly (grimey, enforcer, 3-pt shooting) and to a lesser degree Ibaka or Hartenstein. Clips don't seem like a willing partner though, unless we find some AKME magic..

Hartenstein was available forever with no takers. We could have had him so easily and cheaply; and he seems to be doing okay. He would be so much better than Marco.
DxC17
Junior
And1: 432

Post#450 » by DxC17 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:34 pm

superdave wrote:Watching the Clips, they have an excess of bigs. Morris would fit our roster perfectly (grimey, enforcer, 3-pt shooting) and to a lesser degree Ibaka or Hartenstein. Clips don't seem like a willing partner though, unless we find some AKME magic..

What do you think about Nicolas Batum? 6"8, 230. Big, wide & strong frame. Can easily slot in to a true PF slot with Pat down and offers a versatile array of skills. Plays well within the flow of any offense, and has transitioned into a spot-up shooter in LA with over 65% of his FGA coming from deep. Plus rebounder & defender throughout his career. High IQ. Tremendous passing instincts. Skilled enough that you can play him next to Vuc & not worry about any issues clogging driving lanes for Zach & Demar. Would alleviate size issues at the PF spot & can put a body on the Giannis & Randles of the world. Won't get schemed out of the game in the playoffs like other bigs.

At 33, he's definitely lost a step but he's still a plus contributor & fits the team's window if we are trying to compete now. Would bring some much needed tested playoff experience to the team. If the Clippers are sellers at the deadline and try to retool in anticipation of Kawhi's return, Batum might be had for cheap as he has a player option heading in to next season. Maybe a 2nd + TBJ gets it done.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#451 » by InsideInfo » Mon Dec 6, 2021 8:09 pm

I've seen some posts on here from people who want nothing to do with Kevin Love if he is bought out.

I don't understand the logic behind it. Good size, vet with tons of playoff and finals experience. He can rebound, hit 3s, and very good at those bullet passes off rebounds that start fast breaks... which bodes well with our style of play.

What am I missing here that makes people say they want nothing to do with him?
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 2,999

Post#452 » by jordanwilliams6 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 8:27 pm

InsideInfo wrote:I've seen some posts on here from people who want nothing to do with Kevin Love if he is bought out.

I don't understand the logic behind it. Good size, vet with tons of playoff and finals experience. He can rebound, hit 3s, and very good at those bullet passes off rebounds that start fast breaks... which bodes well with our style of play.

Lack of defense, athleticism & interior presence and pretty big things that we would need from a potential PF. Basically we need someone who could have the ability to match up on the Giannis & Durant types for stretches. Love is not that guy.

H Barnes for me if we wanted a bigger move, otherwise Boucher for a cheaper option.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,810

Post#453 » by Dresden » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:03 pm

Can we lure Niko back from Spain?
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer

Post#454 » by InsideInfo » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:45 pm

jordanwilliams6 wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:I've seen some posts on here from people who want nothing to do with Kevin Love if he is bought out.

Lack of defense, athleticism & interior presence and pretty big things that we would need from a potential PF. Basically we need someone who could have the ability to match up on the Giannis & Durant types for stretches. Love is not that guy.

H Barnes for me if we wanted a bigger move, otherwise Boucher for a cheaper option.

No offense, but harrison barns seems like an awful move. not even just bad... awful.

You commit to more long-term money than we already have right before we need to extend Lavine. You lose our 2 best young assets on rookie contracts... not to mention there is no way that deal goes down without the expiring contract of DJJ, who has been a positive player for us.

All so you get a guy to matchup with KD and Giannis? He isn't stopping those guys... He isn't even going to slow those guys down.

Size and rebounding is what this team needs. This team is 26th in the NBA in rebounding. Love is 6' 10" and is averaging 7.2 rebounds in 20 minutes a game. Plus the obvious bonus of retaining our assets and committing to contracts beyond this season.
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#455 » by Bulls2021 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 9:56 pm

InsideInfo wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:

No offense, but harrison barns seems like an awful move. not even just bad... awful.

You commit to more long-term money than we already have right before we need to extend Lavine. You lose our 2 best young assets on rookie contracts... not to mention there is no way that deal goes down without the expiring contract of DJJ, who has been a positive player for us.

All so you get a guy to matchup with KD and Giannis? He isn't stopping those guys... He isn't even going to slow those guys down.

Size and rebounding is what this team needs. This team is 26th in the NBA in rebounding. Love is 6' 10" and is averaging 7.2 rebounds in 20 minutes a game. Plus the obvious bonus of retaining our assets and committing to contracts beyond this season.

Nobody said Barnes would stop them. He matches up with them better than anybody we currently have on the roster. He also provides a very efficient 4th option. The dude is averaging 19 and 7 on good efficiency this year. You ignored that part.

Love makes the defense worse. You can't play him with Vuc. You basically are getting a poor defending, backup C. If we got him on a buyout, maybe.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer

Post#456 » by InsideInfo » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:13 pm

Bulls2021 wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:
jordanwilliams6 wrote:Lack of defense, athleticism & interior presence and pretty big things that we would need from a potential PF. Basically we need someone who could have the ability to match up on the Giannis & Durant types for stretches. Love is not that guy.

Nobody said Barnes would stop them. He matches up with them better than anybody we currently have on the roster. He also provides a very efficient 4th option. The dude is averaging 19 and 7 on good efficiency this year. You ignored that part.

Love makes the defense worse. You can't play him with Vuc. You basically are getting a poor defending, backup C. If we got him on a buyout, maybe.

You would only get Love on a buy out....I would take Love playing 15-20 minutes a game over Tony Bradly any day of the week.

Again. We need rebounding. 26th in the NBA is going to be a problem
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#457 » by Bulls2021 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:16 pm

InsideInfo wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:Nobody said Barnes would stop them. He matches up with them better than anybody we currently have on the roster. He also provides a very efficient 4th option. The dude is averaging 19 and 7 on good efficiency this year. You ignored that part.

You would only get Love on a buy out....I would take Love playing 15-20 minutes a game over Tony Bradly any day of the week.

Love makes 31mil. How do the Bulls get that other than a buyout?
Nvm, I see that's what you're implying. I still don't like the fit personally. I don't think it happens either.
DxC17
Junior
And1: 432

Post#458 » by DxC17 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:29 pm

InsideInfo wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:

Bulls are a top 10 in DReb %, the per game stats lack context because it doesn’t factor in how well our opponent rebounds or how many of their possessions say end in a turnover which would not necessitate a rebound. Taking into account the total rebounds available in a game we look much better. We aren’t getting killed on the glass. We are a decent to good rebounding team actually.

The lack of offensive boards is by design as Billy’s D emphasizes leaking out to deny transition opportunities & get the defense set. Other teams near the bottom of OReb % are the Suns, Nuggets & 76ers who have very good rebounders in the middle. OReb % is one of those things that’s gonna be more scheme & emphasis more than anything. I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Brothaman33
Senior
And1: 443

Post#459 » by Brothaman33 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:32 pm

Serge Ibaka?
"Thibs and Deng make Skiles and Duhon look like a one night stand" - Red Larrivee
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,478

Post#460 » by Flopper » Tue Dec 7, 2021 5:02 am

I see no reason why DJJ can't be our starting 4 for the rest of the season. There's definitely a strength limitation there, but he really checks all the boxes with his defensive range/versatility, finishing at the rim, blocks + steals, and ability to knock down an open 3. The defensive chaos this team creates with him and some combination Ball, Caruso, and Ayo on the floor is really something to behold. Assuming he doesn't massively regress, I think his presence gives the FO flexibility to make a deal on their own terms or do nothing at all at the deadline.

Return to Chicago Bulls