ImageImage

The Finals Game 6: We are the Champions my friend(s)!

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,244

Re: The Finals Game 6: We are the Champions my friend(s)! 

Post#2001 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:56 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Where do we purchase our repeat champions gears and Boogie finals MVP merch?

Won't lie, im regretting buying a bunch of stuff that says 2x NBA champions. After watching the Nets play this week, I'm feeling more confident.

They may get there, but if Golden State is healthy I don’t see anyone beating them 4 times
Do it for Chuck
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,956

Post#2002 » by mediocrityrules » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Ah good, I can post again now we're past page 100. I was avoiding it in case anyone else wanted in. Didn't want to hog the real estate.
Circling calendars since 2021
BradMKE
Senior
And1: 553

Post#2003 » by BradMKE » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:32 am

Cyber Monday discount on the newly released official championship coffee table book:

https://skyboxpress.com/collections/books/products/bucks?variant=39431541555287

$35 + $6 shipping.

Bucks Pro Shop sells it for $50.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#2004 » by buckboy » Wed Dec 1, 2021 3:56 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Where do we purchase our repeat champions gears and Boogie finals MVP merch?

Won't lie, im regretting buying a bunch of stuff that says 2x NBA champions. After watching the Nets play this week, I'm feeling more confident.

They may get there, but if Golden State is healthy I don’t see anyone beating them 4 times

I'd much rather play Golden St than Phoenix.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,910

Post#2005 » by sidney lanier » Wed Dec 1, 2021 4:35 pm

Maybe it isn't fair to expect that much from him but dude is getting paid the max (22nd highest paid guy in the league). You can't have a guy making that much money being so inconsistent when it matters.

When it mattered, he showed up. And his salary ranks right behind that of Ben Simmons, so be happy with what we have.

Those of us who follow the NBA closely sometimes fall into the trap of expecting flat, consistent performance game in and game out. That's not a realistic expectation, and it's probably based on an overreliance on the statistical record.

The NBA's highest paid player, Steph Curry, shot 4 for 21 last night with two or three airballs.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#2006 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:09 pm

buckboy wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Won't lie, im regretting buying a bunch of stuff that says 2x NBA champions. After watching the Nets play this week, I'm feeling more confident.

We handled Phoenix pretty well last season. Why should it be different this season?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,969

Post#2007 » by drew881 » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:They may get there, but if Golden State is healthy I don’t see anyone beating them 4 times

We handled Phoenix pretty well last season. Why should it be different this season?

I imagine guys like Ayton, Bridges, and Johnson with a year of finals experience will be improved.

Getting way ahead of myself, but I can’t decide which would be more fun:

1. Beating Curry in the finals and gaining that legitimacy of beating a big market.
2. Demoralizing Paul by beating him again in the finals. It would be very Bulls like where they squashed Stockton/Malone’s chances at the tail end of their careers.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,833

Post#2008 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:25 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
Maybe it isn't fair to expect that much from him but dude is getting paid the max (22nd highest paid guy in the league). You can't have a guy making that much money being so inconsistent when it matters.

When it mattered, he showed up. And his salary ranks right behind that of Ben Simmons, so be happy with what we have.

Those of us who follow the NBA closely sometimes fall into the trap of expecting flat, consistent performance game in and game out. That's not a realistic expectation, and it's probably based on an overreliance on the statistical record.

The NBA's highest paid player, Steph Curry, shot 4 for 21 last night with two or three airballs.

I think you ignored most of my points cause I don't understand how key games in round 2 and 3 aren't "When it mattered"

And again, I wasn't the one cherry picking. I was pointing out he had a lot of bad games and his performance overall wasn't good enough. It wasn't just one game like Curry.
He shot 41% from the field and 30% from 3 on 17 shots a game as the 3rd option. That just isn't good enough.
sidney lanier
Head Coach
And1: 9,910

Post#2009 » by sidney lanier » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:33 pm

sidney lanier wrote:

I think you ignored most of my points cause I don't understand how key games in round 2 and 3 aren't "When it mattered"

And again, I wasn't the one cherry picking. I was pointing out he had a lot of bad games and his performance overall wasn't good enough. It wasn't just one game like Curry.
He shot 41% from the field and 30% from 3 on 17 shots a game as the 3rd option. That just isn't good enough.

Absolutely true that Holiday sucked eggs at times during the playoff run. I'm not disputing that. But if you're going to play the "when it mattered" card, you must acknowledge that he was instrumental in achieving the only outcome that really mattered.
"The Bucks in six always. That's for the culture." -- B. Jennings
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#2010 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:34 pm

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Reasons for it being different:
-Ayton will be better/stronger-
-they had no backup big once saric went down
-they seem to gel even better this year (went from like 25->4th in pace)
-they played us pretty damn well. Down 6 going into the 4th in Game 4 down 2-1. We were down big in game 5 and who knows how it would have turned out if Jrue's strip was called a foul on booker instead of a Giannis dunk. It's not like we swept there ass like the Heat.
-Don't think Paul was 100% (Is he ever?)

Add in that even if the Suns are the same, I'm not sold on GSW. Feel when things get tight Giannis can score at will. Who would stop him.

I don't think there is a clear link weak when you are talking contenders (all are good teams), but teams can have preferences.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#2011 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:42 pm

sidney lanier wrote:
Absolutely true that Holiday sucked eggs at times during the playoff run. I'm not disputing that. But if you're going to play the "when it mattered" card, you must acknowledge that he was instrumental in achieving the only outcome that really mattered.

Yeah, I said we probably don't win without him. Probably arguing in circles but we had several games that really, really mattered that could have easily ended our season where Jrue just didn't play well enough. He just lucked out that our season didn't end in round 2/3. I'm just not going overweight him being 'clutch' play like him stripping Booker when he was 5/23 in a Game 7 of the de facto ECF a couple weeks earlier. To me, "When it matters" isn't just the last second shot or last game, it was the whole run vs the Nets/Suns when our season was on the line.
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#2012 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:54 pm

So the league went hard at the Bucks last year for tampering....and the Bulls and Heat get lesser penalties

And nothing to the Pels and Raps for their part in this
Jimmmycrackcorn
Sixth Man
And1: 983

Post#2013 » by Jimmmycrackcorn » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:55 pm

I thought the league sent a memo to all teams after they hit the Bucks last year that next offenses will be penalized harsher....
buckboy
RealGM

Post#2014 » by buckboy » Wed Dec 1, 2021 6:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:They may get there, but if Golden State is healthy I don’t see anyone beating them 4 times

Because I think they're better than Golden St. Especially against Giannis. Golden has absolutely no hope for guarding him.

It really comes down to the Bucks' health though. There is zero doubt in my mind that the Bucks are the best team in the NBA if healthy. Big if though.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2015 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2021 9:26 pm

buckboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:

Because I think they're better than Golden St. Especially against Giannis. Golden has absolutely no hope for guarding him.

It really comes down to the Bucks' health though. There is zero doubt in my mind that the Bucks are the best team in the NBA if healthy. Big if though.

Interesting responses. I would bet on Green (and then Looney) having a better chance of slowing down Giannis than Ayton or anyone else on Phoenix. Giannis had his best series and best game against Phoenix. And Klay Thompson's return is going to make GSW that much better.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#2016 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Dec 1, 2021 11:01 pm

Jimmmycrackcorn wrote:I thought the league sent a memo to all teams after they hit the Bucks last year that next offenses will be penalized harsher....

yes, and by harsher they meant softer of course.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#2017 » by buckboy » Wed Dec 1, 2021 11:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:We handled Phoenix pretty well last season. Why should it be different this season?

Interesting responses. I would bet on Green (and then Looney) having a better chance of slowing down Giannis than Ayton or anyone else on Phoenix. Giannis had his best series and best game against Phoenix. And Klay Thompson's return is going to make GSW that much better.

I personally don't see GS keeping this up. Health will be an issue for them as well.

Also, Ayton has a far better chance guarding Giannis than anyone on GS. I know he destroyed him last year, but Phoenix is a better team than they were last year. Fortunately, so are the Bucks (assuming health again).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2018 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 1, 2021 11:19 pm

buckboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I personally don't see GS keeping this up. Health will be an issue for them as well.

Also, Ayton has a far better chance guarding Giannis than anyone on GS. I know he destroyed him last year, but Phoenix is a better team than they were last year. Fortunately, so are the Bucks (assuming health again).

We agree on most things, but that's one that we'll have to agree to disagree. Green's on a mission to win DPOY, and I think he's got a good chance to finish second to Giannis, and Looney is a heckuva defender.
buckboy
RealGM

Post#2019 » by buckboy » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:17 am

Ruzious wrote:
buckboy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Interesting responses. I would bet on Green (and then Looney) having a better chance of slowing down Giannis than Ayton or anyone else on Phoenix. Giannis had his best series and best game against Phoenix. And Klay Thompson's return is going to make GSW that much better.

We agree on most things, but that's one that we'll have to agree to disagree. Green's on a mission to win DPOY, and I think he's got a good chance to finish second to Giannis, and Looney is a heckuva defender.

I hear ya on Green. I think he's clearly a better defender than Ayton, but not on Giannis. That's all I'm saying with those 2.

I also just don't buy GS. I don't anticipate them staying at this win rate because I don't think they're this good and I think there'll be injuries.

Time will tell.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,479

Post#2020 » by old skool » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:46 pm

Last year I thought 2020-21 would be the Bucks season to assimilate Holiday into their team. I thought 2021-22 would be their best chance at a title.

Winning last year was great, but in many ways I think they are better positioned to win in 2022, ignoring the physical toll of a late playoff run last year.

Holiday's value is not just what he does or did not do on the court. Holiday is a player who can take a secondary role, or who can step up to be a primary scorer. When Giannis went down with injury in the ECF against Atlanta, Holiday, Lopez and Portis all stepped up and had huge scoring games in his absence. Not every NBA PG can seamlessly change roles like that.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks