Re: Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread 

Post#1761 » by yosemiteben » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:52 am

Read on Twitter
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,166

Post#1762 » by SWedd523 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:01 am

Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

It's still on him to be receptive and, to my surprise, he very much so appears to be despite his incredibly flamboyant outward projection.

Folks dog on JB a lot as a coach, but there's no denying he has been at the head of some pretty awesome player development. Guys like Devonte and Miles, Cody Martin, Melo, even guys like McD and Dicky, hell you could even argue Rozier a little bit. Really the only guy who hasn't had positive development has been PJ which has more to do with his personal life than anything else.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#1763 » by fatlever » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:41 am

gone are the old days were our young players never improved, except kemba..... after 6 years.
okafor
felton
may
ammo
ajinca
hendo
augustin
vonleh
frank
biz
zeller
mkg

not a a single **** one showed real noticeable improvement
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#1764 » by HornetJail » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

It's still on him to be receptive and, to my surprise, he very much so appears to be despite his incredibly flamboyant outward projection.

Folks dog on JB a lot as a coach, but there's no denying he has been at the head of some pretty awesome player development. Guys like Devonte and Miles, Cody Martin, Melo, even guys like McD and Dicky, hell you could even argue Rozier a little bit. Really the only guy who hasn't had positive development has been PJ which has more to do with his personal life than anything else.

we must have some ridiculously good shooting coach in the ranks because nearly all these guys have gone from mediocre shooters to good/great ones.

Rozier was a brick layer in Boston till he came here
Melo had major shot questions as a prospect and put those all to bed quickly
Miles was a mediocre shooter his first two years and became very good
McDaniels/Martin both got to a good level
Monk figured it out in year 4
Devonte' blew up in 19-20
even PJ who doesn't appear to have improved much since coming to the NBA, wasn't much of a shooter in college

JB doesn't miss with the player development. For this alone, I'm happy to keep him and his staff around for now. This is where we truly appreciate how large a difference it is between him and Clifford
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Ball Don't Lie: The LaMelo Ball Thread 

Post#1765 » by BigSlam » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:38 am

Read on Twitter
B B M F 'ers
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#1766 » by MPM » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:48 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:Ball strikes me as someone who would thrive from a very direct, no BS, hands on developmental coach. All of the talent in the world but hasn't really had anyone holding him accountable or keeping him in check since he was basically a pre-teen.

we must have some ridiculously good shooting coach in the ranks because nearly all these guys have gone from mediocre shooters to good/great ones.

Rozier was a brick layer in Boston till he came here
Melo had major shot questions as a prospect and put those all to bed quickly
Miles was a mediocre shooter his first two years and became very good
McDaniels/Martin both got to a good level
Monk figured it out in year 4
Devonte' blew up in 19-20
even PJ who doesn't appear to have improved much since coming to the NBA, wasn't much of a shooter in college

JB doesn't miss with the player development. For this alone, I'm happy to keep him and his staff around for now. This is where we truly appreciate how large a difference it is between him and Clifford

You left out Oubre. Easily a career year from 3 this year.
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#1767 » by HornetJail » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:03 am

truth.... provided it holds up. Oubre has been known to go on long cold stretches (see: his first 10+ games with GS, it's why they hate him there)

but i'm encouraged
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1768 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:16 pm

The way players improve their shooting here, I have no doubt Bouknight will be hitting a high volume, high percentage from three by year two or three

Hell, at this point, I'm fully expecting Kai and Thor to be shooting upper 30's if not over 40% in a year or two. Our ability to develop shooters is definitely worth noting. I'd say keep on targeting talented players who are below average shooters and build them up
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1769 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed Dec 1, 2021 1:34 pm

Kinda random but just noticed how similar of a season LaMelo and Dejounte Murray are having

LaMelo - 19.3 PTS - 8.2 AST - 7.8 REBS - 1.9 STL - 3.1 TO - 41 FG% - 38 3P% - 20.8 PER
Murray - 19.1 PTS - 8.1 AST - 8.5 REBS - 2.0 STL - 2.3 TO - 45 FG% - 31 3P% - 20.3 PER
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#1770 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:27 pm

Hes now shooting 39% from deep on nearly 7.5 attempts a game. That's currently better than Trae Young is doing this year (or any season for that matter) and on more attempts. I never, ever envisioned him being this good of a shooter for any season his entire career. Let alone just his second year.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,166

Post#1771 » by SWedd523 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:40 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Hes now shooting 39% from deep on nearly 7.5 attempts a game. That's currently better than Trae Young is doing this year (or any season for that matter) and on more attempts. I never, ever envisioned him being this good of a shooter for any season his entire career. Let alone just his second year.

especially considering how many bad shots he takes
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1772 » by BigSlam » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:45 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Hes now shooting 39% from deep on nearly 7.5 attempts a game. That's currently better than Trae Young is doing this year (or any season for that matter) and on more attempts. I never, ever envisioned him being this good of a shooter for any season his entire career. Let alone just his second year.

If he keeps shooting like that then "all" he has to do is add some bulk/muscle to help him finish at the rim and the kid will be pretty much unstoppable.
B B M F 'ers
Roll Tide 09
Bench Warmer
And1: 439

Post#1773 » by Roll Tide 09 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:04 pm

BigSlam wrote:

If he keeps shooting like that then "all" he has to do is add some bulk/muscle to help him finish at the rim and the kid will be pretty much unstoppable.

He’ll end up with several 28-10-10 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
IG: @theonlylogicalthinker
IG: @arisethecompany

Twitter: @arisethecompany

HornetJail
RealGM

Post#1774 » by HornetJail » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:20 pm

He's just crossed 20ppg for the first time...

I literally never expected him to hit that mark in his career, let alone age 20... unreal
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#1775 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:15 pm

I just can't on the GB with the Edwards vs Ball stuff. I think Ball is better and I honestly don't even think it's even close. Only thing people continously say is Edwards being stronger and more athletic. Like, okay.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1776 » by BigSlam » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:29 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:He's just crossed 20ppg for the first time...

I literally never expected him to hit that mark in his career, let alone age 20... unreal

I previously thought that if he was putting up 20pp a game, he'd be taking 25-30 shots to do it.
B B M F 'ers
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#1777 » by luciano-davidwesley » Thu Dec 2, 2021 11:07 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:I just can't on the GB with the Edwards vs Ball stuff. I think Ball is better and I honestly don't even think it's even close. Only thing people continously say is Edwards being stronger and more athletic. Like, okay.

It reminds me a bit of 2005/06 when Jazz fans were desperately trying to convince everyone that Deron Williams was as good as Chris Paul.

Don't get me wrong Anthony Edwards is a great player, I just feel like Ball has another gear on him and has crazy vision and feel which are harder to come by than scoring ability.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,574

Post#1778 » by KembaWalker » Fri Dec 3, 2021 12:27 am

every debate on that board is the same..LaMelo could be better in 1000000 different ways, 99% of the game of basketball, and someone will just post the 1 thing Edwards is better and and act like that just validates their entire position.
"hes just more athletic"
ok? so is Dennis Smith Jr. it'd be like if I just went into a conversation and tried to mic drop it with "oh yeah? Lamelos a better passer" and patted myself on the back

and the arguments are never consistent. youll see the same guys using an advanced stat to pump or dump someone in one thread and then when its not favorable to their current debate that stat is suddenly useless or needs "extra context" and some condescending snide remark about how you just don't understand the stats in this particular instance

dumb
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1779 » by BigSlam » Fri Dec 3, 2021 1:19 am

I honestly could not care less if Edwards is better than LaMelo.

Perhaps he is - like I said, I really don't care.

I only care about LaMelo, and I am stoked with him.

So even if Edwards is better it means nothing to me, because how good Edwards is will not impact how happy I am that we have LaMelo.
B B M F 'ers
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1780 » by BigSlam » Sat Dec 4, 2021 3:11 pm

LaMelo is in COVID protocols.

**** awesome.
B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets