ImageImageImageImageImage

Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

jaymo123
Starter
And1: 761

Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim? 

Post#1 » by jaymo123 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:06 pm

Something I have noticed this year, even last year after Wiseman got hurt, is the lack of big's on the Dubs that can finish around the rim. Draymond/Looney has shown the inability to finish lay-ups, shoot floaters or hooks consistent enough to be a threat. The good teams with sound coaching are going to continue to force those guys to make plays. In the Toronto game, the Dubs made do. In the Clippers game, Poole & Steph bailed them out. Against a championship caliber team like Phoenix, it was a turnover fest.

During the Dubs championship run, they had bigs that were threats around the rim whether it was Bogut, Izelli, or McGee. With Draymond/Looney, I see there defenders all the way in the paint or just doubling Steph/Poole/Wiggins even if they are close to the rim because the defense does not respect the offensive ability of Draymond/Looney. Against Phoenix, Draymond was passing to Looney 5ft away from the rim. A short push shot, floater, bank shot would have been more effective than passing in a crowd to Looney, who takes 10 seconds just to gather and go up.

My hope is Wiseman comes back and can be that threat whether through lobs, floaters, & hooks. If not him, I believe the dubs need to go out and find someone who has the ability to finish around the rim. What do you think?

Edit:

After 40 games, do you still think the Dubs need a Big who can roll & finish around the rim?
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Re: Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim? 

Post#2 » by Old_Blue » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:19 pm

Christian Wood is supposedly available in trade. Nurkic is, I believe, in the last year of his contract. Valanciunas is on a very team friendly deal. Wiseman and maybe Kuminga would have to be packaged to get any center who'd move the needle. If you're a bargain basement shopper, Drummond might be available come the trade deadline.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:22 pm

not really, you're not gonna have that type of player if you're running a ball and player movement scheme, because bigs who roll/play at the rim are not great fits in this scheme anyways...it's part of the sacrifice you have to make unless you have a truly special guy at the 5 who can do that while also scaling in our scheme and system.

there will be some match ups where Wiseman looks good and is needed, but the majority of time he'll be a hindrance in this system, not an asset.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#4 » by TB » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:24 pm

I don't think its a major need. I think Loon/Dray finish pretty solidly around the hoop when its in the flow of the offense. Especially considering everything else they bring to the table.

Bogut and Javale were obviously a better lob threat and at times jumped over 60% from 2, and I think Wiseman can probably be that guy with lobs/drop offs.

And if you mean more iso style finishing, I just don't think we need that for our offense. I used to hate when we would try to force an iso play into Bogut or Zaza or Cousins for no reason at all. In fact I hope we don't start doing this again with Wiseman when he's back. Let him just play the Looney role.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 761

Post#5 » by jaymo123 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 8:31 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Christian Wood is supposedly available in trade. Nurkic is, I believe, in the last year of his contract. Valanciunas is on a very team friendly deal. Wiseman and maybe Kuminga would have to be packaged to get any center who'd move the needle. If you're a bargain basement shopper, Drummond might be available come the trade deadline.

The first 3 mentioned, sure. Drummond, HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,418

Post#6 » by Big J » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:17 pm

A Robin Lopez type might be perfect for them if they can get him on the cheap. He can bang down low with Ayton & Joker and stretch the floor on offense.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#7 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:32 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Christian Wood

Nurkic

Valanciunas

Wiseman and maybe Kuminga would have to be packaged to get any center who'd move the needle.

Drummond

no

no

no

NO

no
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by FNQ » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:34 pm

jaymo123 wrote:Something I have noticed this year, even last year after Wiseman got hurt, is the lack of big's on the Dubs that can finish around the rim. Draymond/Looney has shown the inability to finish lay-ups, shoot floaters or hooks consistent enough to be a threat. The good teams with sound coaching are going to continue to force those guys to make plays. In the Toronto game, the Dubs made do. In the Clippers game, Poole & Steph bailed them out. Against a championship caliber team like Phoenix, it was a turnover fest.

During the Dubs championship run, they had bigs that were threats around the rim whether it was Bogut, Izelli, or McGee. With Draymond/Looney, I see there defenders all the way in the paint or just doubling Steph/Poole/Wiggins even if they are close to the rim because the defense does not respect the offensive ability of Draymond/Looney. Against Phoenix, Draymond was passing to Looney 5ft away from the rim. A short push shot, floater, bank shot would have been more effective than passing in a crowd to Looney, who takes 10 seconds just to gather and go up.

My hope is Wiseman comes back and can be that threat whether through lobs, floaters, & hooks. If not him, I believe the dubs need to go out and find someone who has the ability to finish around the rim. What do you think?

Defense > finishing on this team

We've got a couple guys who can defend capably, Looney much more so, and Wiseman waiting in the wings. Truth is the people that fit our C position probably dont play C for their respective teams currently. Maybe a few. But find C's with big BBIQ and the agility to guard wings, and you've already crossed out the majority of Cs in the league. The system is in fact designed to thrive without those types, because those are the hardest types of players to acquire.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#9 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 9:55 pm

yea, let's trade for guys who'll finish a couple of more baskets @ the rim while ruining our defense, screening and ball movement in the process.

some of yall need to think this thru.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#10 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Dec 3, 2021 12:37 am

GPII
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#11 » by xdrta+ » Fri Dec 3, 2021 12:44 am

clyde21 wrote:yea, let's trade for guys who'll finish a couple of more baskets @ the rim while ruining our defense, screening and ball movement in the process.

some of yall need to think this thru.

Hey, I agree with Clyde, will wonders never cease. This whole premise is a terrible idea.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 3, 2021 1:20 am

If you guys want a C on the roster that can do this...

Pascal Siakam is a much better idea than any player I've seen listed, and not sure the Raptors have a long-term plan with him. Only problem is he'd cost Wiggins for ballast, and we probably don't want to do that. But I'd rather be looking for a player like that than finding the next McGee, who again was a veteran minimum scrap heap pickup, who's career we revived.

We don't need a traditional C
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#13 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:08 am

Twinkie defense wrote:GPII

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#14 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:09 am

FNQ wrote:We don't need a traditional C

and if a traditional C is wanted, he better be cheap.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#15 » by Old_Blue » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:50 am

FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:
Valanciunas

NO

What have you got against Valanciunas? Dude's a stud and he's on a contract that pays him an average of $15 million per over the next two years.

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:03 am

Old_Blue wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:
Valanciunas

NO

What have you got against Valanciunas? Dude's a stud and he's on a contract that pays him an average of $15 million per over the next two years.

He can score well. Can he defend the perimeter? Have a high BBIQ on defense?

Any acquisition that causes us to change our style isn't a good one. The only reason it worked with someone like KD was because he's a generational talent. Otherwise we need smart players and capable defenders, or they flame out/become backups.

Just because someone's successful somewhere else doesnt mean they will be here. We've seen it in the other direction several times already
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,134

Post#17 » by cpower » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:11 am

trade 18-3 to 12-9. great idea
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#18 » by Samurai » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:21 am

Do the Dubs NEED a big who can roll and finish? No, I don't think they need one (i.e. they can still win games without one as shown by our 18-3 record). Could it be helpful to have one? Yes, I think so, unless having one detracts in other areas of the game that either individually or collectively more than offsets the advantages of having that finisher.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#19 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:40 am

Dubs would be better with a OPTION to match up with size AT TIMES.

Wiseman should be able to do that.

I like what Iggy said in the Draymond interview ..."Can't wait to work with Wiseman and SIMPLIFY his game".
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,395

Post#20 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:30 am

Marc Gasol

Just need a smart defender with size.

Return to Golden State Warriors