Analyst
And1: 4,020

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#1341 » by packforfreedom » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:48 am

winforlose wrote:
life_saver wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Read on Twitter

I find this interesting because even last season, Ant was one of the best pull-up 3 point shooters in the league post-ASB..he seems to be a better in pull-up shooting rather than catch-and-shoot shooting which isn't that common

This doesn’t mean much because the minimum is 80 attempts. How many players have taken 80 pull ups at the time of the tweet. In 18 games that number is probably only 10-15 people.

37% on pull up threes is a good number. period.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#1342 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 1, 2021 4:42 pm

packforfreedom wrote:
winforlose wrote:
life_saver wrote:I find this interesting because even last season, Ant was one of the best pull-up 3 point shooters in the league post-ASB..he seems to be a better in pull-up shooting rather than catch-and-shoot shooting which isn't that common

This doesn’t mean much because the minimum is 80 attempts. How many players have taken 80 pull ups at the time of the tweet. In 18 games that number is probably only 10-15 people.

37% on pull up threes is a good number. period.

It is, but I'm much more interested in his % on 3s than I am on pull up, corner, catch and shoot, from the Logo, and on his birthday 3%.
I'm also at the moment more interested in his health and if he's going to play than all of that 3 stuff.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1343 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 1, 2021 5:25 pm

As of today, Edwards shoots 35% on catch and shoot 3s on 4.1 attempts and 34% on pull up 3s on 4.6 attempts.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1344 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:51 am

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,945

Post#1345 » by Nick K » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:13 am

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:Man I remember how many people trashed Edwards at around this period in the season last year. I promised I'd pull up all those quotes from that period, because it was painfully obvious that you guys should've believed in Ant based on how fluid and smart he looked despite the missed shots and some poor defensive possessions. The only reason I don't is not that I'm better than that but that I'm too lazy to do it.

I will save you some time with regard to me. I said he shoots too many 3s needs to drive more, reminds me of Wiggins, plays lazy D, disappears from games, ect… Every single comment was true, is still true (his defense is not lazy now but was then, it shows what he can do when he wants to, the key is wanting to,) and I still believe he can improve. Ant has been shooting more efficiently from deep recently, after a start so bad he made JO look like Curry from deep. If he keeps it up then I will become more comfortable with his high volume from beyond the arc. That said, he is natural born slasher and by not slashing he is denying his potential. He is doing serious damage to the offense and his teammates as well. Drive and kick is the name of the modern game and he is our best and primary drive guy. When he refuses to do it he sabotages the offense and makes it much easier to guard everyone. The biggest test for Finch is can he save Ant from becoming Wiggins. So far there is reason for optimism, but look at Wiggins numbers and ask yourself where he went wrong before celebrating Ant. Finch was right about 2/3rds 1/3rd and Ant just won’t do it.

Efficiency isn't great as a 20-year old sophomore, but he's already the type of player who can go on a run and change a game at any moment. I never want him deferring because you never know when the next shot is going to go in and shift the momentum.

Read on Twitter

I agree with Klomp. Winning argument for sure. Ant will continue to get better just by his natural ability. You ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't get the Wiggins comp.

It's easy to criticize. We all do but he'll have great nights and occasional bad nights like any other super-star.

We all know Ant can play better, he knows it too.

Consistency has been a killer for us....But when we win? We play super consistent.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Post#1346 » by winforlose » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:16 pm

Nick K wrote:
Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:
I will save you some time with regard to me. I said he shoots too many 3s needs to drive more, reminds me of Wiggins, plays lazy D, disappears from games, ect… Every single comment was true, is still true (his defense is not lazy now but was then, it shows what he can do when he wants to, the key is wanting to,) and I still believe he can improve. Ant has been shooting more efficiently from deep recently, after a start so bad he made JO look like Curry from deep. If he keeps it up then I will become more comfortable with his high volume from beyond the arc. That said, he is natural born slasher and by not slashing he is denying his potential. He is doing serious damage to the offense and his teammates as well. Drive and kick is the name of the modern game and he is our best and primary drive guy. When he refuses to do it he sabotages the offense and makes it much easier to guard everyone. The biggest test for Finch is can he save Ant from becoming Wiggins. So far there is reason for optimism, but look at Wiggins numbers and ask yourself where he went wrong before celebrating Ant. Finch was right about 2/3rds 1/3rd and Ant just won’t do it.

Efficiency isn't great as a 20-year old sophomore, but he's already the type of player who can go on a run and change a game at any moment. I never want him deferring because you never know when the next shot is going to go in and shift the momentum.

Read on Twitter

I agree with Klomp. Winning argument for sure. Ant will continue to get better just by his natural ability. You ain't seen nothing yet.

I don't get the Wiggins comp.

It's easy to criticize. We all do but he'll have great nights and occasional bad nights like any other super-star.

We all know Ant can play better, he knows it too.

Consistency has been a killer for us....But when we win? We play super consistent.

The Wiggins comp makes a lot of sense to me. Wiggins would have these monster games and then disappear the next game. Wiggins would be so much better at the rim but settle for turnaround mid range jumpers (for Ant they are pull up 2s and 3s.) Wiggins dropped 20 more often than not but was an in inefficient shooter who shot high volume. Wiggins was capable of great rebounding and defense but often seemed disengaged and you got the sense his emotional state didn’t really have much to do with the game. Ant checks most of these boxes.

I will grant you Ant has a different set of tools in his tool box in the sense that he is better at the rim, bigger than Wiggins in weight but shorter in height. He has a better handle than Wiggins and seems to get to the rim easier. But, where Wiggins embraced contact, Ant avoids it, often contorting himself sometimes to the determinant of the shot.

Ant has a superstars potential, but so did Wiggins. Ant puts up great numbers, but so did Wiggins. Most importantly, Ant cannot lead the team to a W with KAT on the bench. Dlo has been that guy when it happens, and Wiggins had that same problem. I want more than anything for Ant to reach his potential, but when he keeps disappearing from games it reminds me of Wiggins.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#1347 » by Baseline81 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 2:58 pm

winforlose wrote:The Wiggins comp makes a lot of sense to me. Wiggins would have these monster games and then disappear the next game. Wiggins would be so much better at the rim but settle for turnaround mid range jumpers (for Ant they are pull up 2s and 3s.) Wiggins dropped 20 more often than not but was an in inefficient shooter who shot high volume. Wiggins was capable of great rebounding and defense but often seemed disengaged and you got the sense his emotional state didn’t really have much to do with the game. Ant checks most of these boxes.

I will grant you Ant has a different set of tools in his tool box in the sense that he is better at the rim, bigger than Wiggins in weight but shorter in height. He has a better handle than Wiggins and seems to get to the rim easier. But, where Wiggins embraced contact, Ant avoids it, often contorting himself sometimes to the determinant of the shot.

Ant has a superstars potential, but so did Wiggins. Ant puts up great numbers, but so did Wiggins. Most importantly, Ant cannot lead the team to a W with KAT on the bench. Dlo has been that guy when it happens, and Wiggins had that same problem. I want more than anything for Ant to reach his potential, but when he keeps disappearing from games it reminds me of Wiggins.

What?

For his career, we're talking about 4.4 rebounds per game. Only once has Wiggins gone above 5.0 (5.1 in 2019-2020). Edwards, meanwhile, posted 4.7 his rookie season and is currently averaging 6.5.

Wiggins may have embraced contact early in his career (averaged 7.0 FT per game his second season), but certainly changed that approach (4.1 FT per game his season prior to being traded and currently 3.9). One of many questions fans had is why he no longer attempted dunking over opposing players.

Overall, the comparison isn't as close as you believe it is. For as much of the ball as Wiggins had during his time in Minnesota, only once did he average over 3.0 assists per game (3.7 in 2019-2020; next highest is 2.5). Edwards, meanwhile, posted 2.9 his rookie season and is currently averaging 3.5. Simply put, the former Bulldog is a better playmaker.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1348 » by winforlose » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:14 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:The Wiggins comp makes a lot of sense to me. Wiggins would have these monster games and then disappear the next game. Wiggins would be so much better at the rim but settle for turnaround mid range jumpers (for Ant they are pull up 2s and 3s.) Wiggins dropped 20 more often than not but was an in inefficient shooter who shot high volume. Wiggins was capable of great rebounding and defense but often seemed disengaged and you got the sense his emotional state didn’t really have much to do with the game. Ant checks most of these boxes.

What?

For his career, we're talking about 4.4 rebounds per game. Only once has Wiggins gone above 5.0 (5.1 in 2019-2020). Edwards, meanwhile, posted 4.7 his rookie season and is currently averaging 6.5.

Wiggins may have embraced contact early in his career (averaged 7.0 FT per game his second season), but certainly changed that approach (4.1 FT per game his season prior to being traded and currently 3.9). One of many questions fans had is why he no longer attempted dunking over opposing players.

Overall, the comparison isn't as close as you believe it is. For as much of the ball as Wiggins had during his time in Minnesota, only once did he average over 3.0 assists per game (3.7 in 2019-2020; next highest is 2.5). Edwards, meanwhile, posted 2.9 his rookie season and is currently averaging 3.5. Simply put, the former Bulldog is a better playmaker.

Quick side not before I jump in, both Ant and Wiggins should have and would have better assist numbers if the people they passed to make their shots (especially open ones.) Dlo and KAT and Butler and every other talented player for is has that same problem.

To your other points, yes, Ant is the better rebounder and defender than Wiggins when he wants to be. There are however games where Ant does not want to be, or at least not for 48 minutes. You seem to forget that Wiggins was considered a massive failure here, and one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Your point that Wiggins stopped trying to dunk on people and stopped pursing contact doesn’t dispute my point that Ant should be seeking it but is instead avoiding it. Wiggins is a cautionary tale, not a role model.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#1349 » by Baseline81 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:21 pm

winforlose wrote:Quick side not before I jump in, both Ant and Wiggins should have and would have better assist numbers if the people they passed to make their shots (especially open ones.) Dlo and KAT and Butler and every other talented player for is has that same problem.

To your other points, yes, Ant is the better rebounder and defender than Wiggins when he wants to be. There are however games where Ant does not want to be, or at least not for 48 minutes. You seem to forget that Wiggins was considered a massive failure here, and one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Your point that Wiggins stopped trying to dunk on people and stopped pursing contact doesn’t dispute my point that Ant should be seeking it but is instead avoiding it. Wiggins is a cautionary tale, not a role model.

The intent of the post was to disprove some of what you wrote.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1350 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:39 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

What?

The amount of passes Ant makes to open shooters - only to have the shooter miss the shot is insane. I was watching the Wolves-Hornets game and it seemed like every time Ball drove and kicked the ball out to a shooter, the shooter made the wide open shot. It seems like the Wolves shooter make shots off Edwards' drives like a third of the time. Maybe the passes aren't perfect, but they are wide ass open. It's insane that the Wolves have a .500 record with the amount of wide open shots they miss each game.

Twolves clips wrote: Anthony Edwards has earned an assist on just 40.5% of his potential assists, which ranks last in the NBA (min. 180 potential assists).

Poor shooting teammates + bad luck have limited Ant’s assist numbers, but Ant continues to show flashes as a passer.

I'm shocked that they make them on 40 percent.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1351 » by winforlose » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:11 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

What?

The amount of passes Ant makes to open shooters - only to have the shooter miss the shot is insane. I was watching the Wolves-Hornets game and it seemed like every time Ball drove and kicked the ball out to a shooter, the shooter made the wide open shot. It seems like the Wolves shooter make shots off Edwards' drives like a third of the time. Maybe the passes aren't perfect, but they are wide ass open. It's insane that the Wolves have a .500 record with the amount of wide open shots they miss each game.

Twolves clips wrote: Anthony Edwards has earned an assist on just 40.5% of his potential assists, which ranks last in the NBA (min. 180 potential assists).

Poor shooting teammates + bad luck have limited Ant’s assist numbers, but Ant continues to show flashes as a passer.

I'm shocked that they make them on 40 percent.

As I mentioned above I agree and think Towns, Dlo, Butler, Wiggins, and others all suffer/suffered from the same phenomenon.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#1352 » by Baseline81 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:45 pm

winforlose wrote:As I mentioned above I agree and think Towns, Dlo, Butler, Wiggins, and others all suffer/suffered from the same phenomenon.

Not sure that is true, though. If Wiggins is the passer you believe, his numbers should be better in Golden State, playing alongside Curry, likely in the MVP chase. However, Wiggins only averages 1.6 assists per game this season. The Warriors currently have the 6th (36.7%) best 3P% while the Wolves sit 23rd (33.2%)
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1353 » by winforlose » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:00 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
winforlose wrote:As I mentioned above I agree and think Towns, Dlo, Butler, Wiggins, and others all suffer/suffered from the same phenomenon.

Not sure that is true, though. If Wiggins is the passer you believe, his numbers should be better in Golden State, playing alongside Curry, likely in the MVP chase. However, Wiggins only averages 1.6 assists per game this season. The Warriors currently have the 6th (36.7%) best 3P% while the Wolves sit 23rd (33.2%)

I don’t know what you are trying to argue specifically. Wiggins is getting more open shots because Curry is the focus of opposing defense, and others are stepping up as well. Ant is still lazy and disappearing for whole halves before turning it on during one good quarter. He is still afraid of contact (like deeply afraid,) and still way too quick to Chuck 3s (shooting after dribbling for long periods with no passing.) I want Ant to live up to his potential, but he is playing more and more like Wiggins year 3 during his 2nd year.
fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Post#1354 » by fattymcgee » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:00 pm

winforlose wrote:
The Wiggins comp makes a lot of sense to me. Wiggins would have these monster games and then disappear the next game. Wiggins would be so much better at the rim but settle for turnaround mid range jumpers (for Ant they are pull up 2s and 3s.) Wiggins dropped 20 more often than not but was an in inefficient shooter who shot high volume. Wiggins was capable of great rebounding and defense but often seemed disengaged and you got the sense his emotional state didn’t really have much to do with the game. Ant checks most of these boxes.

Wiggins and Ant are similar!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:crazy: :noway: :crazy:
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#1355 » by Mattya » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:19 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

What?

Wiggins never embraced contact, the only reason he got to the free throw line was because the team forced him into post ups. In reality he would often settle for mid range fade away jumpers.

Any comparison is laughable in my mind
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#1356 » by jscott » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:24 pm

Yeah dude, Wiggins loathed contact. He liked trying to dunk on people but that was the extent of it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1357 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 4, 2021 6:20 am

I like that you guys ignore the biggest most important points to harp on what might be the most debatable point. Ant didn’t take a shot in the first quarter tonight (not the first time this has happened this season or last season,) he scored 11 in the first half and 8 in the second half on 16 shots. High scoring yet low efficiency. No sense of urgency or taking over games. Prone to disappearing, and quick to settle for jump shots or 3s (1/7.) Yeah, he and Wiggins having nothing at all in common ;) ;) ;)
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 860

Post#1358 » by Dalvin » Sat Dec 4, 2021 8:13 am

winforlose wrote:I like that you guys ignore the biggest most important points to harp on what might be the most debatable point. Ant didn’t take a shot in the first quarter tonight (not the first time this has happened this season or last season,) he scored 11 in the first half and 8 in the second half on 16 shots. High scoring yet low efficiency. No sense of urgency or taking over games. Prone to disappearing, and quick to settle for jump shots or 3s (1/7.) Yeah, he and Wiggins having nothing at all in common ;) ;) ;)

He at least makes his free throws :wink:
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#1359 » by Baseline81 » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:01 pm

winforlose wrote:I like that you guys ignore the biggest most important points to harp on what might be the most debatable point. Ant didn’t take a shot in the first quarter tonight (not the first time this has happened this season or last season,) he scored 11 in the first half and 8 in the second half on 16 shots. High scoring yet low efficiency. No sense of urgency or taking over games. Prone to disappearing, and quick to settle for jump shots or 3s (1/7.) Yeah, he and Wiggins having nothing at all in common ;) ;) ;)

Might as well as they each have two arms and legs...

Again, you seem to be the only one making this comparison.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1360 » by winforlose » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:21 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Might as well as they each have two arms and legs...

Again, you seem to be the only one making this comparison.

Fair enough. I hope I am wrong and that Ant steps up in the ways that I know he can.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves