Image ImageImage Image

Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Re: Zach LaVine's impending Free Agency 

Post#301 » by Axolotl » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am

LaVine will get the max from the Bulls, and he'll be worth it.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#302 » by sco » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Axolotl wrote:LaVine will get the max from the Bulls, and he'll be worth it.

I agree. I'm not sure if he is truly a #1 guy on a contending team (which isn't the standard for a max deal), but he's getting pretty close and on an upswing. Also, the supply-demand equation makes the decision pretty obvious on his max.
:clap:
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#303 » by Bulls2021 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:50 pm

So, is there any way Zach plays himself out of the supermax? He just needs to make an all NBA team basically, correct?
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#304 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:17 pm

Bulls2021 wrote:So, is there any way Zach plays himself out of the supermax? He just needs to make an all NBA team basically, correct?

Correct.

1. All NBA the current season or the previous two seasons.
2. DPOY the current season or previous two seasons.
3. MVP the current season or previous two seasons.

https://www.spotrac.com/spots/criteria-for-a-supermax-extensions-1218/
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect

Post#305 » by Bulls2021 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:41 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:So, is there any way Zach plays himself out of the supermax? He just needs to make an all NBA team basically, correct?

Correct.

Man, it would be really nice for the Bulls if he somehow didn't make All-NBA, lol. I'm trying to think who can bump him off at this point. Steph Curry and Luka are locks. Trae young, Ja Morant, and CP3 may be ahead of him now. It's a tossup with DeMar.
Voters love giving awards to guys who are on winning teams, especially if their teams made a big improvement record-wise. Id lean towards him making it at this point honestly.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#306 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:54 pm

Bulls2021 wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:

Correct.

Man, it would be really nice for the Bulls if he somehow didn't make All-NBA, lol. I'm trying to think who can bump him off at this point. Steph Curry and Luka are locks. Trae young, Ja Morant, and CP3 may be ahead of him now. It's a tossup with DeMar.
Voters love giving awards to guys who are on winning teams, especially if their teams made a big improvement record-wise. Id lean towards him making it at this point honestly.

There are other guards that get consideration every year like Lillard, Harden and Beal. But it’s likely Zach makes it if the Bulls keep winning and Zach stays healthy and keeps producing.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect

Post#307 » by Bulls2021 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 7:59 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:
Correct.

There are other guards that get consideration every year like Lillard, Harden and Beal. But it’s likely Zach makes it if the Bulls keep winning and Zach stays healthy and keeps producing.

Lillard's FG% is below 40% and they may not make the playoffs, Harden is playing worse than usual and a lot of people dislike his play style, and Beal is having an off year and his team will likely finish below the Bulls. DeMar having a better year than Zach may be the best chance at Zach not being included.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#308 » by kodo » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:27 pm

Zach's performance is getting slightly overshadowed by Derozan, but he's also been one of the best 4th quarter players in the league. Ahead of a lot of big names.

His 49% FG and 41% 3P in the 4th is also better efficiency-wise than KD or Curry in the 4th.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#309 » by dougthonus » Fri Dec 3, 2021 3:43 pm

Bulls2021 wrote:Man, it would be really nice for the Bulls if he somehow didn't make All-NBA, lol. I'm trying to think who can bump him off at this point. Steph Curry and Luka are locks. Trae young, Ja Morant, and CP3 may be ahead of him now. It's a tossup with DeMar.

Complete mortal locks barring season ending injuries:
Jokic
Giannis
Durant
Curry
Anthony Davis
Luka

High level of certainty barring injuries:
Paul
Harden
Butler
LeBron
Mitchell

Guys fighting for the last 4 spots, some are currently earning it, some have reputation of the past and would win tie breaks if they turned their seasons around, some have really good teams that probably just warrant a 2nd guy on the list:
DeRozan
Zach
Gobert
Ja
Lillard
Draymond Green
Booker
Ayton
LaMelo
Beal
Trae

Right now, on the Bulls, I'd give DeMar the nod over Zach, and unlikely the Bulls get two. DeMar has been way more clutch at the end of games, is averaging more points, assists, basically same efficiency, much greater PER, slightly better in most advanced box score metrics.

Zach will definitely be in the conversation for a 3rd team, but I think he's probably just outside that range.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DaeDae
Analyst
And1: 661

Post#310 » by DaeDae » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:29 pm

Just pay him. Period.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
DaeDae
Analyst
And1: 661

Post#311 » by DaeDae » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:33 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:Man, it would be really nice for the Bulls if he somehow didn't make All-NBA, lol. I'm trying to think who can bump him off at this point. Steph Curry and Luka are locks. Trae young, Ja Morant, and CP3 may be ahead of him now. It's a tossup with DeMar.

Jokic
Giannis
Durant
Curry
Anthony Davis
Luka

Paul
Harden
Butler
LeBron
Mitchell

Guys fighting for the last 4 spots, some are currently earning it, some have reputation of the past and would win tie breaks if they turned their seasons around, some have really good teams that probably just warrant a 2nd guy on the list:
DeRozan
Zach
Gobert
Ja
Lillard
Draymond Green
Booker
Ayton
LaMelo
Beal
Trae

Right now, on the Bulls, I'd give DeMar the nod over Zach, and unlikely the Bulls get two. DeMar has been way more clutch at the end of games, is averaging more points, assists, basically same efficiency, much greater PER, slightly better in most advanced box score metrics.

Zach will definitely be in the conversation for a 3rd team, but I think he's probably just outside that range.

Trae is likely to make it if he keeps playing like he is. That leaves 3 spots. Lamelo is in the freaking MVP conversation (which I'm struggling to believe). That leaves 2 spots. Booker is almost certain to make it. That leaves one spot.

I'd say there's a good chance ZL is left off this year.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,044

Post#312 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:34 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Jokic
Giannis
Durant
Curry
Anthony Davis
Luka

Paul
Harden
Butler
LeBron
Mitchell

DeRozan
Zach
Gobert
Ja
Lillard
Draymond Green
Booker
Ayton
LaMelo
Beal
Trae

How are Luka and Anthony Davis complete mortal locks over either Zach or Demar?
kodo
RealGM

Post#313 » by kodo » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:36 pm

I would put Embiid into the lock category and move AD down into Likely category.

I don't think Mitchell is Likely, he didn't make any of the 3 teams last year and the Jazz were better last year than this year. And his #s are all down, his scoring is the lowest since his 2nd year and his 3P% took a nosedive to 32%. Considering he didn't make it last year when Utah was #1, I think the current worse version of Mitchell isn't All-NBA.

Derozan does have a good chance of making it as a forward given that Kawhi is out and Randle probably drops out altogether from the discussion, his scoring is below 20 ppg and the Knicks aren't a #4 seed. If only he played the Bulls micro-ball 82 games a year, he'd be All-NBA 1st team.

Lavine is going to compete with guards. Booker will get in first, replacing Kyrie. The question will be if Lavine replaces Dame. If Dame continues this play of 20 ppg on 30% 3P shooting, it will happen. But Dame will bounce back, it's a question of how much and how much time he'll miss. But even if Dame drops out, Zach is competing with Lamelo and Trae. It will probably depend on how good the respective 3 teams are down the stretch.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#314 » by dougthonus » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:38 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:How are Luka and Anthony Davis complete mortal locks over either Zach or Demar?

Maybe mortal lock is a stretch, I just think people anchor to reputation a lot, and those guys have reputations now of being MVP caliber guys, so they'll make it.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#315 » by Jcool0 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:50 pm

Long way to go but odds are good DeRozan and Lavine are making All-NBA. Probably 2nd or 3rd teams for DeRozan and Lavine. I would say lock for Caruso and Ball to make All Defensive. But that seems kind of like Caruso should be 1st team but only gets voted on 2nd.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#316 » by InsideInfo » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:51 pm

kodo
RealGM

Post#317 » by kodo » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:08 pm

Both DDR & Zach are on the MVP ladder atm.
https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-lamelo-ball-makes-way-into-conversation

The Next Five:

6. Jimmy Butler, Miami Heat

7. DeMar DeRozan, Chicago Bulls

8. Zach LaVine, Chicago Bulls

9. Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

10. Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#318 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:14 pm

I think you need to talk to Lavine about what he wants. If he's serious about building a contender, then he should accept less than the super-max (should he be eligible for it).

We are offering Lavine:

1. A winning situation
2. A good market/location (not great but good)
3. Staying "home"
4. As much money as anyone else

Why would he not sign up for that? All of that can be true without offering him a super-max. Snap offering him a super-max would be dumb.
DxC17
Junior
And1: 432

Post#319 » by DxC17 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:22 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I think you need to talk to Lavine about what he wants. If he's serious about building a contender, then he should accept less than the super-max (should he be eligible for it).

We are offering Lavine:

1. A winning situation
3. Staying "home"

Why would he not sign up for that? All of that can be true without offering him a super-max. Snap offering him a super-max would be dumb.

Come on man - Chicago is a world class city, 3rd largest market in the country, and the Bulls are the most recognizable non-soccer sports brand in the world. If we aren't great than what is? Just LA & NYC? Maybe Miami? Toronto is a global city too, but many guys don't want to live in Canada.

Saying Chicago is a good, not great market is a silly take. Don't let GarPax's failures convince you that Chicago is some inherently undesirable market.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#320 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:25 pm

DxC17 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I think you need to talk to Lavine about what he wants. If he's serious about building a contender, then he should accept less than the super-max (should he be eligible for it).

We are offering Lavine:

1. A winning situation
3. Staying "home"

Come on man - Chicago is a world class city bar none, 3rd largest market in the country, and the Bulls are the most recognizable non-soccer sports brand in the world. If we aren't great than what is? Just LA & NYC? Maybe Miami? Toronto is a global city too, but many guys don't want to live in Canada.

Saying Chicago is a good, not great market is a silly take. Don't let GarPax's failures convince you that Chicago is some inherently undesirable market.

Maybe don't fly off the handle when I say we are a good not great market?

Tier 1: LA and Miami and maybe NYC/SF.

We are in tier 2.

Return to Chicago Bulls