JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,309

Re: Official: Olshey Fired 

Post#3 » by JRoy » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:15 pm

This season not so bad after all
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,835

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:20 pm

Time for the rebuild….
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,944

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:21 pm

I bet a lawsuit will be incoming soon…good news for basketball side, but could get ugly from the reputation side.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,811

Post#6 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:27 pm

I've got our dancing shoes, someone else bring the champagne for us all.

I'm sure there'll be the potential for a lawsuit like Duster said, but that he's gone is just worth it and five years too late.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#7 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:33 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I bet a lawsuit will be incoming soon…good news for basketball side, but could get ugly from the reputation side.

so, am I reading that press release right that the Blazers "terminated" his contract?

if so, yeah, he'll probably sue. I'd think he'll have a difficult time finding a NBA management job for years, and he might blame the Blazers for that
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,401

Post#8 » by Blazinaway » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:41 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I bet a lawsuit will be incoming soon…good news for basketball side, but could get ugly from the reputation side.

so, am I reading that press release right that the Blazers "terminated" his contract?

if so, yeah, he'll probably sue. I'd think he'll have a difficult time finding a NBA management job for years, and he might blame the Blazers for that

For me I don't care how he was fired, Blazers can deal with any lawsuit. Huge HEY is he is FINALLY GONE!!!!!!! And perhaps soon we will see some moves made
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,401

Post#9 » by Blazinaway » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:42 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I've got our dancing shoes, someone else bring the champagne for us all.

I'm sure there'll be the potential for a lawsuit like Duster said, but that he's gone is just worth it and five years too late.

Yep
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:43 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:

Yep, it's obviously impossible to say because we'll likely never know the particulars of what was found, but given the chatter around the investigation... there were plenty of people somewhat familiar with it that assumed Olshey would survive... so one could assume that it's possible what they did find was kinda... on the fence. Wasn't great, but wasn't really fireable, but after a pretty lackluster offseason and then pretty mixed start to the season... I think that tipped them over the edge to firing.

That scenario, while the Blazers choice, could leave them vulnerable to a lawsuit. They better hope whatever the investigation did turn up was solid evidence of misconduct. Because if he was just an ass and the tipping point was job performance, then they may not really have good standing for terminating his contract. And considering Olshey was fighting for his job and there was the talk of GM's trying to unionize against smear campaigns and getting legal funds set up to fight these things...

Yeah, this could get ugly.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#11 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:46 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

For me I don't care how he was fired, Blazers can deal with any lawsuit. Huge HEY is he is FINALLY GONE!!!!!!! And perhaps soon we will see some moves made

For any fans thinking "Meh, it's just a lawsuit", I wouldn't be so sure with that. The team is going to take a pretty be reputation hit in management circles, at least in the short term. As I've said before, what top level GM is going to want to come to a team that may start an investigation against them and then fire them on what could have been flimsy findings just to get out of paying the remainder of their contract? And before that, their reputation in the league gets dragged through the mud during the investigation.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:48 pm

Billups and Prince reunited? No idea how Prince would be as a GM, but I think it's fair he and Billups would be totally in sync with the kind of team they want to build.

Would like it if they go that route if they can also bring in Ainge as a special adviser like Jerry West role.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,835

Post#14 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:55 pm

At least if we named Tayshaun Prince GM. I can finally tell my old friend from the Pistons board (Vege), we
finally got Tayshaun Prince to Portland to reunite with his old team Chauncey.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#15 » by GEE » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:56 pm

:rockon:

FINALLY. Today is a day for celebration indeed!

I will enjoy this day, but with no President or GM, we're a rudderless ship. Can Jody get a Danny Ainge consult going? Some lunch on the yacht maybe? I feel like he could be a good solution, at least for the short-term, to keep this team from running off the rails. Maybe Ainge can find a really good GM for the future, but I have no idea what the relationship could be between he and Chauncy, and I think that's at least worth noting. Perhaps that pairing could be a strong one, or they may already have deep-seeded hatred that can't be cured. ???

Regardless... Today I don't care who will replace our former soap-star actor turned GM. I will just enjoy this, at least for a day or so.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:35 pm

and I was accused of wearing a tin-foil hat when I suggested the investigation was a way to terminate Olshey's contract with cause
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 964

Post#17 » by mojomarc » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:44 pm

I guess I can end my boycot of the team over the tone-deaf hiring/defense of Billups. So, um...what did I miss?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,309

Post#18 » by JRoy » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:50 pm

Norm2953 wrote:At least if we named Tayshaun Prince GM. I can finally tell my old friend from the Pistons board (Vege), we
finally got Tayshaun Prince to Portland to reunite with his old team Chauncey.

Didn’t have to trade Batum to get him either!
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
GOBlazers
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#19 » by GOBlazers » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:58 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but why are people generally pleased that Olshey has been fired?

Is it just because he hasn't made the Blazers elite yet?
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,811

Post#20 » by The Sebastian Express » Fri Dec 3, 2021 7:00 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:and I was accused of wearing a tin-foil hat when I suggested the investigation was a way to terminate Olshey's contract with cause

No, you weren't. Stop trying to act like this, it's tiresome. You're old enough you shouldn't have to do this and in fact it's, ironically, very Olshey behavior. You were dismissive of other people's theories, thoughts and facts all while you were very defensive and throwing out your own conspiracy theories that had no basis in fact at the time. You know the difference between your quoted statement and what actually happened, so stop painting yourself as a martyr.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers