ImageImage

2024 ATL Thread - Hader to Astros - 5/$95M

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Re: 2021 ATL Thread - CBA Expires December 1 

Post#181 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:01 pm

Is there any reason for optimism that this won't be a long work stoppage? They couldn't agree on anything for the covid season and it appears the same idiots are still in charge. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a full season.

One of the main issues are there are almost 3 sides with differing goals: players, big market teams, small market teams. Maybe even 4 sides if you count agents.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#182 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:15 pm

The union wants free agency cut from 6 years to 5, a $100 reduction in revenue sharing and arbitration to include all 2 year players. I realize it's a negotiation and you aim high but if any of those actually happen it will suck.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#183 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:35 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The union wants free agency cut from 6 years to 5, a $100 reduction in revenue sharing and arbitration to include all 2 year players. I realize it's a negotiation and you aim high but if any of those actually happen it will suck.
This is an example of what I was referring to when I said 3 sides because I could see some large market teams be completely fine giving in to this demand where as it screws over the little markets.

Now taking my brewers fan goggles off I do think the current service time/arby rules do kind of screw players because teams game the system.

For all it's other issues I have to give the NFL credit for their CBA. Real revenue sharing and a hard cap are the best way for leveling the playing field for all the franchises.

I know this will upset some people but honestly one of the best ways for teams to save money and in theory reinvest is to dramatically cut back on the minor leagues. We simply don't need that many levels. Cut it way back and pay the players at those levels better. Sucks for guys chasing that dream but there would still be independent leagues and plenty of foreign leagues for guys to chase that dream. The fact teams pay 100+ basically non prospects to fill out these clubs plus the operating expenses of the clubs is wasted resources.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#184 » by LittleRooster » Fri Dec 3, 2021 4:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:The union wants free agency cut from 6 years to 5, a $100 reduction in revenue sharing and arbitration to include all 2 year players. I realize it's a negotiation and you aim high but if any of those actually happen it will suck.
This is an example of what I was referring to when I said 3 sides because I could see some large market teams be completely fine giving in to this demand where as it screws over the little markets.

Now taking my brewers fan goggles off I do think the current service time/arby rules do kind of screw players because teams game the system.

For all it's other issues I have to give the NFL credit for their CBA. Real revenue sharing and a hard cap are the best way for leveling the playing field for all the franchises.

I know this will upset some people but honestly one of the best ways for teams to save money and in theory reinvest is to dramatically cut back on the minor leagues. We simply don't need that many levels. Cut it way back and pay the players at those levels better. Sucks for guys chasing that dream but there would still be independent leagues and plenty of foreign leagues for guys to chase that dream. The fact teams pay 100+ basically non prospects to fill out these clubs plus the operating expenses of the clubs is wasted resources.

They barely pay their minor leaguers as is, which is a huge issue imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#185 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 3, 2021 8:22 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

They barely pay their minor leaguers as is, which is a huge issue imo

Absolutely and that's why I mentioned paying what's left more. Again it's a caluous statement and only one of many of MLBs issues but it's a bloated system as currently constructed.

Hell I'd actually say goal numebr one for the owners before they even negotiate with the players is to get their own house in order. Better revenue sharing and some way to stop real piece of **** owners like in Pittsburgh where they take money from the revenue pool but don't actually spend it to try and win.

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#186 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jan 4, 2022 3:30 pm

Ken Rosenthal getting the boot at MLBN is all-of-the-above petty, hilarious, and stupid. Apparently they benched him for 3 months after criticizing Manfred in a piece on The Athletic. Christ.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#187 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter

This sucks.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#188 » by LittleRooster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:58 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

This sucks.

Yep

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#189 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 am

Union doesn't want expanded playoffs, reasoning that if it's easier to make the playoffs teams won't have to spend as much.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#190 » by humanrefutation » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm

I have no objection to expanded playoffs in general, but only if they agree to cut the schedule down to 100 games or something like that. There's no point to a slog of 162 games only to eliminate only 16 teams.

100 games. 14 playoff teams. I'm all about it.

Obviously, there's no way anyone turns down the revenue from 62 more regular season games.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,832

Post#191 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:17 am

Ortiz is in the Hall of Fame. Barely deserves it even if he hadn't used PEDs, but if you're letting in someone who sucked before using PEDs, don't you have to let in everyone who was a HOF player before PEDs too? Don't really care because the Hall is a joke anyway, but at least be consistent.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#192 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:36 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:Ortiz is in the Hall of Fame. Barely deserves it even if he hadn't used PEDs, but if you're letting in someone who sucked before using PEDs, don't you have to let in everyone who was a HOF player before PEDs too? Don't really care because the Hall is a joke anyway, but at least be consistent.
It's at the point now where if you juiced but are/were nice to tbe media you get in but if you're a prick then they blame steroids.

Baseball writers are full of themselves clowns.

Bonds not being in is a joke.

Read on Twitter
?t=KFeSCya_hWdkj-NZXAV0gA&s=19

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#193 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:46 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I have no objection to expanded playoffs in general, but only if they agree to cut the schedule down to 100 games or something like that. There's no point to a slog of 162 games only to eliminate only 16 teams.

100 games. 14 playoff teams. I'm all about it.

Obviously, there's no way anyone turns down the revenue from 62 more regular season games.
From a quality of the game standpoint scaling back to around 100 games makes sense. The huge issue is local TV contacts. They are the financial lifeblood of baseball and it's a quanity over quality deal where these local sports networks count on these games as a cornerstone of they broadcast schedule for over half the year. Not sure how you make up for cutting 1/3 of the games. Would baseball really be willing to cut into short term cash for a better long term product?

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#194 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Feb 5, 2022 3:43 am

Read on Twitter
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#195 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#196 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:55 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kinda figured this was coming. I kinda wish we would go back to the AL now. Maybe its nostalgia, but I always found our AL matchups more exciting and felt more fun. Obviously never gonna happen, haha.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#197 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm

Baseball is so dumb for not getting this done before spring training. They are going to get what they **** deserve as more fans leave their already dwindling base. The hubris is idiotic.

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#198 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:04 pm

So the union wants a draft lottery, they feel tanking means spending less on payroll. MLB offered a 3 team lottery, union wants more.

Union does not want expanded playoffs. They feel the easier it is to make the playoffs the less teams have to spend on payroll.

Union wants to cut free agency down to 5 years.

Union wants tax threshold raised.

Universal DH seems likely to be included.

And a bunch of other stuff. The problem, one of many, with MLB is that the owners aren't 100% together. Big market teams priorities are not aligned with small market teams. Attanasio and Steinbrenner are not on the same page.

I do think it gets resolved this weekend. And nothing much will change for the Brewers as long as there is no cap. Yelich will take up around 25% of the payroll for the next 8(!) years. If he doesn't turn it around we're screwed.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#199 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#200 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Mar 1, 2022 5:46 pm

So I think we're going to get a deal today?

Here's my one thing.

Disclaimer: I'm on the players' side for 99% of this stuff, but one bone to pick with them and the journalists/takes at large:

For the past decade: "Tanking is bad! We must fix tanking! It's so bad!"

Yesterday: "You simply cannot expand the playoffs! The players don't want it and it decreases the meaning of 162 games!"

I also agree that we're going to get some stupid things like a 98 win team getting boned with an unlucky series and bounced early or a 79 win team taking home the trophy in one year. All things being equal, give me something like 8 teams in the playoffs.

However...this will be good for combating tanking. Now a team that has a 65 win outlook prior to the offseason could actually see themselves sneaking in. A team that is sitting at 30-40 in June will not consider throwing in the towel so easily.

The other solutions like a salary floor will be abused. You put in a salary floor and the Pirates will just eat some crap contracts for prospects while they still try to rebuild.

This would be my power ranking of ways to fix tanking:

1. Relegation (won't happen)
2. A true salary cap
3. Expanded playoffs
4. Salary floor
5. Reverse lottery.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers