ImageImage

Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks & Sports Media) - Sparky postgame show back starting tomorrow

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and sports media) 

Post#381 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:36 am

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This story would be so much cooler if she was good :(

Lol, folks around here trashed Jim for years. The guy retires and then he became the GOAT. Byington has been fine.

I didn't say anything about Jim.
BigO
Veteran
And1: 2,939

Post#382 » by BigO » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:43 am

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

This story would be so much cooler if she was good :(

Lol, folks around here trashed Jim for years. The guy retires and then he became the GOAT. Byington has been fine.

BYington has a great voice. My problem with her is that it doesn't appear she does her homework. She doesn't seem like an NBA person with knowledge of the league. Hopefully after a while she will learn.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#383 » by skones » Sun Dec 5, 2021 12:53 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Didn't say you did. More speaking to the point of trashing the broadcast team is the norm unless your name is Marques Johnson.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#384 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:03 am

skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Didn't say you did. More speaking to the point of trashing the broadcast team is the norm unless your name is Marques Johnson.

I think Lisa could be good, but she makes so many regular factual errors and they stick out like a sore thumb. It's 101 type stuff (in my opinion). Like I said before, I don't think the Bucks are the place where minor leaguers go to learn on the job, and the two newbies this season have been rough. But who knows, maybe they'll end up great. I dunno.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Interview Room Named After Paschke 

Post#385 » by RiotPunch » Sun Dec 5, 2021 7:44 am

I don't think anybody trashed Jim for his playcalling prowess. He was always so good at that. His chemistry with both Jon and Marques was outstanding.

Now, the DukeH stuff and Kohl company man narrative peddling were trashed to high hell.

I think Lisa is *fine*, she just **** up names and stats on the reg thus far.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,128

Post#386 » by HKPackFan » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:55 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
skones wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I think Lisa could be good, but she makes so many regular factual errors and they stick out like a sore thumb. It's 101 type stuff (in my opinion). Like I said before, I don't think the Bucks are the place where minor leaguers go to learn on the job, and the two newbies this season have been rough. But who knows, maybe they'll end up great. I dunno.

She was on locked on bucks a couple days ago and it was pretty insightful.

Seems she is so used to taking out her emotions doing national games she's used to being neutral. She's not used to caring about the wins and losses. She's getting used to the idea of caring again.

Also she's doing homework and got some kind of cheat sheet board she's making notes as the season goes on.

I respect that and I think she's going to get better.

IMO Let her get used to the team, learning to shed that national game attitude, and it sounds like she is studying a lot, and will get to know this team much better as time goes on.
#FreeChuckDiesel
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Interview Room Named After Paschke 

Post#387 » by JayMKE » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:32 am

There isn’t anything offensive or bad about Lisa which is appreciated when there are a lot of people who genuinely want goofballs like Gus Johnson or Eric Collins coining nonsensical catchphrases and doing their own sound effects when their team is down 20 in the 3rd quarter in January. However she’s also not adding much of anything, the Bucks are doing her dirty tho pairing her with Stephen Bardo who may as well be a random person off the street with his complete lack of knowledge about the Bucks and weird awkward banter he has with her. Its not the lack of emotion so much as the lack of insight and chemistry with broadcast partner. She should get better with time but its going to be painful if she’s the one carrying the commentary team going forward.

Wonder if there are any other former Bucks getting into broadcasting? I can’t imagine Marques is gonna do it much longer so Im worried.
FREE GIANNIS
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#388 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 pm

Looks like Bill Michaels will be on 920 from 11-2. His Madison show is on 10-2 and 920 will carry the last 3 hours. They aired him for a couple days in August but 1250 stopped it due to a non compete that must be expired.

Pass
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#389 » by ReginaldDwight » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:13 pm

JayMKE wrote:There isn’t anything offensive or bad about Lisa which is appreciated when there are a lot of people who genuinely want goofballs like Gus Johnson or Eric Collins coining nonsensical catchphrases and doing their own sound effects when their team is down 20 in the 3rd quarter in January. However she’s also not adding much of anything, the Bucks are doing her dirty tho pairing her with Stephen Bardo who may as well be a random person off the street with his complete lack of knowledge about the Bucks and weird awkward banter he has with her. Its not the lack of emotion so much as the lack of insight and chemistry with broadcast partner. She should get better with time but its going to be painful if she’s the one carrying the commentary team going forward.

Wonder if there are any other former Bucks getting into broadcasting? I can’t imagine Marques is gonna do it much longer so Im worried.

Honestly Her and Brian Butch is a better combo. Heard them do I think MU hoops the other night and they were pretty solid together.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#390 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:30 am

So Ted Davis heads back to Texas.

If you read between the lines, the Bucks canned him, and he’s still collecting some remaining portion of his contract dollars, hence he can’t discuss it until some date in the future.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/entertainment/television-radio/2022/04/11/former-bucks-announcer-ted-davis-leaves-full-time-milwaukee-radio-gig/7282217001/
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Bucks Media Thread (Discussion of Bucks and Sports Media) - Ted Davis moves back to Texas pg 20 

Post#391 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:40 am

Somehow I missed that the Packers won't be on 620
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#392 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:42 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Somehow I missed that the Packers won't be on 620

It would appear Ted locked horns with Craig Karmazin, and that’s why he’s no longer there. Karmazin is a minority owner of the Bucks.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
All The Bucks
Junior
And1: 1,265

Post#393 » by All The Bucks » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Somehow I missed that the Packers won't be on 620

It would appear Ted locked horns with Craig Karmazin, and that’s why he’s no longer there. Karmazin is a minority owner of the Bucks.

So weird that the Bucks would cede so much influence to friggin Craig Karmazin. It's not like they're desperate for partners with small minority interests. And Karmazin losing the Packers for WTMJ confirms for me that they guy isn't all that sharp. The Bucks have taken a clear step back on their broadcasting which is a shame.
"Your values is in disarray, prioritizin' horribly. Unhappy with the riches 'cause you're piss poor morally" - Abraham Lincoln
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 10,821

Post#394 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:30 pm

There's got to be more to the story than just differences. It's either Bucks lowballed him which led to arguments, arguments about being vaccinated, or something else. I don't think it was just Craig K. Saying nah I don't like Ted or his style.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#395 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:03 pm

I very very rarely listen to any of the games on the radio but I thought Dave Koehn was good when I heard him on the call.

The Packers were on WTMJ since 1929. iHeartRadio affiliates carry the Packers in other parts of the state (and Illinois) so I guess it makes some sense. The Packers control all of the broadcast aspects so nothing changes in that regard, it's just on another station. Either IHeart blew them away with a big offer or Karmazin f'd up and lost the rights. I'm guessing it was the later. I know his story and his background, I don't know how much business smarts he has. When I used to hear him on the air he sounded like a dunce.

When I go to games at Lambeau I love listening to the postgame on the ride home. Won't be able to do that now, no one has a signal like TMJ.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#396 » by emunney » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:59 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I very very rarely listen to any of the games on the radio but I thought Dave Koehn was good when I heard him on the call.

The Packers were on WTMJ since 1929. iHeartRadio affiliates carry the Packers in other parts of the state (and Illinois) so I guess it makes some sense. The Packers control all of the broadcast aspects so nothing changes in that regard, it's just on another station. Either IHeart blew them away with a big offer or Karmazin f'd up and lost the rights. I'm guessing it was the later. I know his story and his background, I don't know how much business smarts he has. When I used to hear him on the air he sounded like a dunce.

When I go to games at Lambeau I love listening to the postgame on the ride home. Won't be able to do that now, no one has a signal like TMJ.

Agree on Koehn, I listened to his call on for part of the recent Detroit game while I was on the road and I thought he was good. No opinion on all the other stuff.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#397 » by LittleRooster » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:12 pm

I guess I’m in the minority on Koehn. I found him bland and boring, with little excitement. I mentioned this previously, but he almost seems hard to hear at times too.

And maybe part of it is not his fault since he’s following Davis, but it’s very noticeable to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#398 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:19 pm

Lisa is a college basketball announcer and it showed with her extreme lack of NBA knowledge

Please just put Zora in there, she at least knows the NBA and had a significantly better rapport with Marques
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#399 » by LittleRooster » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:28 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Lisa is a college basketball announcer and it showed with her extreme lack of NBA knowledge

Please just put Zora in there, she at least knows the NBA and had a significantly better rapport with Marques

Better yet, hire an actual broadcaster that’s worked their way up.

But yes, if given a choice between the two, I guess I’d take Zora

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#400 » by crkone » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:41 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:Lisa is a college basketball announcer and it showed with her extreme lack of NBA knowledge

Better yet, hire an actual broadcaster that’s worked their way up.

But yes, if given a choice between the two, I guess I’d take Zora

Isn't that Lisa? Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks