ImageImageImage

What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#1 » by HairyGOATee » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:41 am

Honest answers only, please.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,160

Re: What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM? 

Post#2 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:38 am

Too soon to tell. He has not had a chance to do anything. Most posters on this board do not know that there is a salary cap and players need to be free agents for a team to sign them, so they will say he sucks.
What it comes down to is the ability to get a second star without butchering the rest of the team. I think that will be incredibly hard because of few picks, cap space, and no potential future star player except Jalen Brunson who can transform into a Billups/Lowry kind of career.

But it is too soon.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,736

Post#3 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:36 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Too soon to tell. He has not had a chance to do anything. Most posters on this board do not know that there is a salary cap and players need to be free agents for a team to sign them, so they will say he sucks.
What it comes down to is the ability to get a second star without butchering the rest of the team. I think that will be incredibly hard because of few picks, cap space, and no potential future star player except Jalen Brunson who can transform into a Billups/Lowry kind of career.

But it is too soon.

Hahahahahahaha exhilarating.

Mavs was one of the team with the high cap space last summer and finished with the same old team (resigned THJ, WCS lol, Boban lol) plus the absurd contract of Bullock and the no factor S.Brown.
There was a lot of good FA... DDR, Holmes, Markaneen ecc ecc.
And sorry but Billups and Lowry were/are great defender, Jalen can't guard a chair.

Definitely Nico Harrison is a puppet, Cuban decides.

But yes it's too soon, anyway first year was a disaster. No excuses.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,044

Post#4 » by Mavrelous » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 am

Too soon to tell, he gambled on KP being healthy being enough to upgrade from last season, and gambled on 3&D player that disappointed.
We'll see how he reacts to the market now.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,467

Post#5 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:51 am

KhalilS wrote:Too soon to tell, he gambled on KP being healthy being enough to upgrade from last season, and gambled on 3&D player that disappointed.

He went on very easy path. Signed 2 random 3&D guys and gave new contract to THJ, WCS and Boban. Because all those players, we can leave WCS out because he has 1 year contract, are disastrous, he managed to produced 4 bad contracts in a single year. Total failure at the start. And I'm afraid that next step might be rich contract for Brunson and DFS.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#6 » by Darren » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:10 am

Bob8 wrote:
KhalilS wrote:Too soon to tell, he gambled on KP being healthy being enough to upgrade from last season, and gambled on 3&D player that disappointed.

He went on very easy path. Signed 2 random 3&D guys and gave new contract to THJ, WCS and Boban. Because all those players, we can leave Boban out, are disastrous, he managed to produced 4 bad contracts in a single year. Total failure at the start. And I'm afraid that next step might be rich contract for Brunson and DFS.

But what's the alternative? Kawhi? Not even gets an invite. The chance is slim, anyway. Batum refuses to consider the Mavs. What I really disappointed is the Mavs hasn't made an offer to Rose (Should be available, the Mavs never makes an offer), Howard (LA bound?), Hartenstein (available, choose LAC), and Craig (Should be available, finally signed with Pacers). The only good signing is Ntilikina. Even Boban comes with overpaid price.

To me, Hardaway could have the same contract but with team options every year. And the Mavs should have offered TPE with Terry or second rounders for Buddy Hield with cap rooms available. The Mavs should not pick up WCS option. I should say Boban should not have given 3.5M per contract. Bullock is obviously not the candidate deserve 11M per. I'd rather give Rose 13M per.

Just imagine how things might become if KP and Brunson for Irving is done with Buddy for TPE, Terry and second rounder; or Powell and a 1st. Ntilikina and Hartenstein / Bjelica on minmum contract. WCS not picked up. Offer Howard 8M per. Get random guards with TPE. For example, Eric Gordon and DJ Augustin

C - Howard (8M) / Kleber / Powell / Boban (2M)
PF - DFS / Hartenstein (2M) or Bjelica (5M) / Eugene (MIN)
SF - Luka / Green
SG - Buddy / Gordon / Ntilikina
PG - Irving / Burke / Augustin

This group can at least play uptempo games with a lot of playmakings and shooting to offer. The interior defense is still not very good. But should be better than having 5 Cs with no toughness.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:27 am

I repeat, It was extremely easy improve our roster... We could have done a lot of moves, we were able to wrong all the moves.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:58 am

Bob8 wrote:

He went on very easy path. Signed 2 random 3&D guys and gave new contract to THJ, WCS and Boban. Because all those players, we can leave WCS out because he has 1 year contract, are disastrous, he managed to produced 4 bad contracts in a single year. Total failure at the start. And I'm afraid that next step might be rich contract for Brunson and DFS.

Agreed, on the fact it's a failure, and the Mavs should've been much gutsier than this is the offseason, the simple fact is, average 3&D guys like Bullock are available for the MLE every off season, but having bird rights to scorer in demand + 35 million in cap space is one time deal, and the strategy followed was wrong.
We'll see how he progresses, Mavs have enormous amount of money in expiring deals next year (easily above 30 millions), and Nico was hired for his connections, we'll see how he can utilize that.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#9 » by Mavrelous » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:08 am

Darren wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

He went on very easy path. Signed 2 random 3&D guys and gave new contract to THJ, WCS and Boban. Because all those players, we can leave Boban out, are disastrous, he managed to produced 4 bad contracts in a single year. Total failure at the start. And I'm afraid that next step might be rich contract for Brunson and DFS.

But what's the alternative? Kawhi? Not even gets an invite. The chance is slim, anyway. Batum refuses to consider the Mavs. What I really disappointed is the Mavs hasn't made an offer to Rose (Should be available, the Mavs never makes an offer), Howard (LA bound?), Hartenstein (available, choose LAC), and Craig (Should be available, finally signed with Pacers). The only good signing is Ntilikina. Even Boban comes with overpaid price.

To me, Hardaway could have the same contract but with team options every year. And the Mavs should have offered TPE with Terry or second rounders for Buddy Hield with cap rooms available. The Mavs should not pick up WCS option. I should say Boban should not have given 3.5M per contract. Bullock is obviously not the candidate deserve 11M per. I'd rather give Rose 13M per.

Just imagine how things might become if KP and Brunson for Irving is done with Buddy for TPE, Terry and second rounder; or Powell and a 1st. Ntilikina and Hartenstein / Bjelica on minmum contract. WCS not picked up. Offer Howard 8M per. Get random guards with TPE. For example, Eric Gordon and DJ Augustin

C - Howard (8M) / Kleber / Powell / Boban (2M)
PF - DFS / Hartenstein (2M) or Bjelica (5M) / Eugene (MIN)
SF - Luka / Green
SG - Buddy / Gordon / Ntilikina
PG - Irving / Burke / Augustin

This group can at least play uptempo games with a lot of playmakings and shooting to offer. The interior defense is still not very good. But should be better than having 5 Cs with no toughness.

Lots of alternative, most of them thrown in the offseason thread.
Powell is dead money, Hield is available, you could've traded Powell's 20 million for Hield 63 million contract, and this way you don't need to sign THJ.
THJ was wanted by at least NOP, Markannen was begging to come to the Mavs, work a 3-way of THJ + Temple to NOP, Ball to Bulls, and Markannen + Sato to Mavs, this would've been vey easy to pull off.
Trade WCS + Burke to BOS for Thompson or OKC for Favours, again, very easy to pull off, they might even throw a 2nd/Kenrich Williams.
Sign Bullock for MLE, SBrown + Ntilikina for the BAE.

KP/Favours/Brown
Markannen/Maxi
Luka/DFS/Green
Hield/Bullock/Ntilikina
Brunson/Sato/Terry

This is much better IMO than what Mavs have, all of this was buying players whose stock was low.
And you have Favours + Maxi + Brown + Bullock contracts the next year as expiring to manage trades for more players.

There is no point in crying over spoiled milk, Nico was new, he was handed a roster w/o assets, after huge turmoil, and Luka is out of shape this year, he should be able to fix next year, but 1st step is realization than Mavs need talent.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#10 » by Darren » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:34 am

41Dirk41 wrote:I repeat, It was extremely easy improve our roster... We could have done a lot of moves, we were able to wrong all the moves.

+1

But there's something as easy as it is - give all of Powell and WCS's minutes to Kleber and Eugene.
That's significant upgrade. Both are more effective on both end than Powell and WCS.
Powell is not even good guarding perimeter oriented big.
Put Boban ahead of Powell and WCS as well. Then, the lack of toughness would be immediately solved.

And I still think a Hardaway, Powell, S.Brown with a first for Buddy, TT and Ramsey deal can go down.
WCS waived to create a spot for Eugene.

Trade Bullock / Brunson for Walker / Quickley, the Mavs unload Bullock while getting something back for Brunson inevitable departure.

C - KP / Boban (TO) / TT (EXP) / Moses
PF - Eugene / Kleber / Gibson (EXP)
SF - DFS (EXP) / Ntilikina / Green
SG - Buddy / Quickly / Ramsey
PG - Luka / Walker / Burke (EXP)

After these two moves, the Mavs could at least fix the rotation and give every player a fixed role. Gibson, TT and Eugene can all plays PF. That's fix the issue with too many Cs without much PFs. And all, excluding Eugene, are short-term fix that won't impact further roster construction plan.

Brunson would ask for more than Walker. Walker, meanwhile, is more experienced floor manager. The Mavs are better attacking the rim with at least two PGs on court at the same time to fill the scoring void. The presence of Boban could create a lot of matchup problem.

Young players will get playing time, especially Ntilikina and Green to see if they can challenge DFS for 3D player role. Both are not far off compared with Bullock if the duo can avoid silly fouls. Moses and Eugene will get playing time too as there's no long-term frontcourt piece besides Kleber and KP. Moses actually is very athletic with 7-2 frame. This creates a lot of backdoor opportunity.
Certainly, Moses protect the rim better than Powell. Eugene, meanwhile, is already very Draymond Green-lite. I'd like to see if Eugene could pass the starting test. Potentially, the Mavs could guard the perimeter better as Eugene and DFS can switch a lot. And when the Mavs need an uptempo change, Eugene is strong enough to play center. Quickly and Ramsey will also get playing time to fight for a Jet-like role.

Buddy wants to be there. Meanwhile, Hardaway wants Miami and contract. That's significant different in motivation.

The role for some players would be simplified. For example, some may become pure defender or pure scoring punch, or rebounding force. That could pay dividend. Just let players play the natural position for some stability.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:34 am

We are simple forum users and we had better ideas than well paid GM and a billionaire owner.
This is very sad.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:50 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:Too soon to tell. He has not had a chance to do anything. Most posters on this board do not know that there is a salary cap and players need to be free agents for a team to sign them, so they will say he sucks.

But it is too soon.

Mavs was one of the team with the high cap space last summer and finished with the same old team (resigned THJ, WCS lol, Boban lol) plus the absurd contract of Bullock and the no factor S.Brown.
And sorry but Billups and Lowry were/are great defender, Jalen can't guard a chair.

I don't disagree with you, but this post is what I mean when comes to posters here. It just screams of Captain Hindsight. Let say we offer a contract to DeMar DeRozan. We then can't offer a contract to Tim Hardaway JR.. DeMar DeRozan signs with the Bulls and Tim Hardaway JR signs with another them. Then suddenly we lost Hardaway. We start to talk with Reggie Bullock. His agents know we are screwed and we got a ton of cap, so we end up signing him for a much bigger contract.

For example:
DeMar DeRozan - Nobody really wanted DeMar Derozan. He is a mid-range mastermind that belongs in the early 2000s with Rip Hamilton. It is the reason why he only got 85 over 3 years. That is dirt cheap when he is now averaging a career-high 26 points. The Bulls did not expect this and neither did you. I don't even think DeMar would fit well with the Mavs since he would need the ball in his hands and he would play at KP place, the high post.

Richaun Holmes - They got him real cheap, but that is because of his bad defence. Nobody else went after him as far as I know.

Lauri Markkanen - I mean, you want to spend 15mill on a mini-KP who plays no defence, can't move and is stiffer than iron?

TIm Hardaway JR - Imo he is a great player for the Mavs. He takes and makes shots that nobody got the ability to make. The only problem of his is his incredible inconstancy.

Willie Cauley Stein - Are you really hating on signing him for 5 mill one year contract? I mean, he is a third-string center.

Boban Marjanović - Again, you dont want us to sign Boban? He creates great culture, is a great veteran that everybody loves. I just don't see a problem with signing him for 7 mill over 2 years.

Reggie Bullock - He has been a great defender in New York, and so has his 3 point shooting been. That is what you base his contract on. Nobody expected him to shoot this poorly, but you can't base his contract on that. Also, it is not a big contract, 30 mill over 3 years.

By the way, I said Jalen Brunson could have a career like Billups and Lowry where he peaks later in his career, not that he would become a great defender.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, I just believe that posters live on this fantasy island where they can just pick and choose agents to sign and there is no such thing as the cap, other teams, and time.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#13 » by HMFFL » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:31 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM?

Nico Harrison needs more time and not months, but possibly a couple of seasons. Our problems can only be resolved in time and I don't believe it's a shorterm fix.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:11 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Again, I'm not disagreeing with you, I just believe that posters live on this fantasy island where they can just pick and choose agents to sign and there is no such thing as the cap, other teams, and time.

I respect your opinion of course but i think that we could move muuuuuch better.

The contract of WCS/Boban ecc ecc are not a problem taken individually but we have a lot of them, players who can't play and can't trade but fill our cap space and take off minutes for our young guys (ok probably they suck :lol: ).

We can talk about last off season all year long but the reality is that we didn't improved... For the third year ... and everybody know that it is not enough.

Nico will have a lot of time for earns his pay but in the first off season he has wrong almost all the moves.
This is not very questionable, the court spoke.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:13 pm

HMFFL wrote:
HairyGOATee wrote:What Do You Think Of Nico Harrison As GM?

Nico Harrison needs more time and not months, but possibly a couple of seasons. Our problems can only be resolved in time and I don't believe it's a shorterm fix.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Yes for sure, but can we say that he failed last summer? Is it forbidden?

He needs time ... I hope Mavs has.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#16 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:09 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

But it is too soon.

I don't disagree with you, but this post is what I mean when comes to posters here. It just screams of Captain Hindsight. Let say we offer a contract to DeMar DeRozan. We then can't offer a contract to Tim Hardaway JR.. DeMar DeRozan signs with the Bulls and Tim Hardaway JR signs with another them. Then suddenly we lost Hardaway. We start to talk with Reggie Bullock. His agents know we are screwed and we got a ton of cap, so we end up signing him for a much bigger contract.

For example:
DeMar DeRozan - Nobody really wanted DeMar Derozan. He is a mid-range mastermind that belongs in the early 2000s with Rip Hamilton. It is the reason why he only got 85 over 3 years. That is dirt cheap when he is now averaging a career-high 26 points. The Bulls did not expect this and neither did you. I don't even think DeMar would fit well with the Mavs since he would need the ball in his hands and he would play at KP place, the high post.

Richaun Holmes - They got him real cheap, but that is because of his bad defence. Nobody else went after him as far as I know.

Lauri Markkanen - I mean, you want to spend 15mill on a mini-KP who plays no defence, can't move and is stiffer than iron?

TIm Hardaway JR - Imo he is a great player for the Mavs. He takes and makes shots that nobody got the ability to make. The only problem of his is his incredible inconstancy.

Willie Cauley Stein - Are you really hating on signing him for 5 mill one year contract? I mean, he is a third-string center.

Boban Marjanović - Again, you dont want us to sign Boban? He creates great culture, is a great veteran that everybody loves. I just don't see a problem with signing him for 7 mill over 2 years.

Reggie Bullock - He has been a great defender in New York, and so has his 3 point shooting been. That is what you base his contract on. Nobody expected him to shoot this poorly, but you can't base his contract on that. Also, it is not a big contract, 30 mill over 3 years.

By the way, I said Jalen Brunson could have a career like Billups and Lowry where he peaks later in his career, not that he would become a great defender.

Sure it's not easy job to do, but he's paid very well to do it. We have big expectations for players, coach, medical staff...but management can do random signings and everything is ok? He was brought here because he has connections, because he's supposedly great in what he's doing. You don't need Nico for signings Mavs did, anyone could do those. Maybe he needs more time, but start was very underwhelming. Even more worrying is why they decided to play safe. It looks like they didn't understand how bad roster Mavs have. And that tells a lot about Mavs management.

You're talking about Brunson becoming new Lowry. Cool, but Mavs will need to pay him a lot to have a chance to see that development. Are you really willing to do that, knowing that this team is not going anywhere? KP max, Luka max, THJ 75, Brunson 60+, Bullock 30.....
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:51 pm

Bob8 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:

For example:

Sure it's not easy job to do, but he's paid very well to do it. We have big expectations for players, coach, medical staff...but management can do random signings and everything is ok? He was brought here because he has connections, because he's supposedly great in what he's doing. You don't need Nico for signings Mavs did, anyone could do those. Maybe he needs more time, but start was very underwhelming. Even more worrying is why they decided to play safe. It looks like they didn't understand how bad roster Mavs have. And that tells a lot about Mavs management.

You're talking about Brunson becoming new Lowry. Cool, but Mavs will need to pay him a lot to have chance to see that development. Are you really willing to do that, knowing that this team is not going anywhere? KP max, Luka max, THJ 75, Brunson 60+, Bullock 30.....

He did not do random signing though. Resigning Hardaway was the first priority. Then becoming a better defensive team was second. Reggie Bullock was a good signing, but he shooting so poorly right now. When he and Hardaway start making shots this team will look dangerous.

Harrison came here because he got a great connection with a lot of star players and is in that circle. Right now the Mavs are pretty solid as a roster, they just miss that second-star player. Let's say we got Paul George, Jimmy Butler, or someone like Brandom Ingram, don't you think this team suddenly becomes a contender?

Luka Doncic
Bullock
Paul George
Finney-Smith
KP

With Hardaway and Brunson coming off the bench. Then you throw in a bunch of roleplayers. Like most teams who we consider contenders are built like the Mavs, just with a true second option. Just look at the Nuggets now that you take out Porter and Murray. Or what about the Suns without Booker or the Bucks without Khris Middleton. Suddenly their roster looks meh.

Again, we can't judge him before he has done some deals. It takes time to develop and build a contender, but small steps and a leap will get you there.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:02 pm

Are you really comparing NBA champion team and last Finals team who win 18 in a row this year with our roster? Are you on the Cuban pay book?
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:26 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:Are you really comparing NBA champion team and last Finals team who win 18 in a row this year with our roster? Are you on the Cuban pay book?

Yes, I am (to both of your questions :) )

This team did not make the playoffs, then they added Chris Paul and they made the finals.

This team was able to win against Orlando in the first round, then got beat 4-1 against Miami in the second round. They make some moves getting Jrue Holiday and they make the finals.

Do you look at those rosters and think they are so much better than the Mavs?
Bob8
General Manager

Post#20 » by Bob8 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:52 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Are you really comparing NBA champion team and last Finals team who win 18 in a row this year with our roster? Are you on the Cuban pay book?

Yes, I am (to both of your questions :) )

This team did not make the playoffs, then they added Chris Paul and they made the finals.

This team was able to win against Orlando in the first round, then got beat 4-1 against Miami in the second round. They make some moves getting Jrue Holiday and they make the finals.

Do you look at those rosters and think they are so much better than the Mavs?

Sure they are, Mavs are starting 3 players with career average under 8 points and they're not rookies at the start of their career. Hard to find team like that. Mavs were decent with RC and Luka overachieving. Now we see real situation.

Return to Dallas Mavericks