ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#1141 » by Kanyewest » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:05 pm

Ruzious wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/robert-griffin-iii-writing-tell-all-book-about-redskins/ar-AARlnZs?li=BBnbfcL

Does anyone (outside of politics) have a bigger martyr complex than RG3?

Scottie PIppen.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#1142 » by badinage » Fri Dec 3, 2021 6:46 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/robert-griffin-iii-writing-tell-all-book-about-redskins/ar-AARlnZs?li=BBnbfcL

Does anyone (outside of politics) have a bigger martyr complex than RG3?

Scottie PIppen.

Kanye West (not you, Kanyewest)
Da Baby
Lil Wayne
ASAP Rocky
Pretty much every other living rapper
Most football coaches, college and pro
Elon Musk
Jeff Bezos
Untold CEOs
Many lawyers
Some doctors
Tons of Hollywood “actors”

F ’em all.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1143 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:22 am

4 in a row!!!!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1144 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:04 pm

Reports are Logan Thomas likely tore his ACL and MCL. Hopefully he'll be back for next season. With Ricky Seals-Jones having hip problems, that'll leave Bates and Reyes. Bates looks solid - even though he did drop an easy one yesterday. Tbh, he looks like a better blocker than Thomas. Hopefully Reyes is ready to step up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#1145 » by tontoz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:57 pm

Listening to Greg Cosell on the Herd podcast and he said we changed up the defense starting with the Bucs game. We started playing more zone in the secondary and our base defense has only 2 linebackers and 3 safeties.

I was wondering why the defense seemed to get better after Chase got hurt.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1146 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:08 pm

Wow in a bad way. Both Toohill and Smith Williams out. There’s practically no one left to play DE
In Rizzo we trust
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#1147 » by queridiculo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Stick a fork in this season.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1148 » by verbal8 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:12 pm

queridiculo wrote:Stick a fork in this season.

At this point it would be shocking if they make the play-offs. I think they would have to go 3-1 to get a play-off spot. While sweeping the Eagles or upsetting Dallas(in Dallas) should get them there, I see both as being very unlikely.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#1149 » by zero2hero » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:15 pm

tontoz wrote:Listening to Greg Cosell on the Herd podcast and he said we changed up the defense starting with the Bucs game. We started playing more zone in the secondary and our base defense has only 2 linebackers and 3 safeties.

I was wondering why the defense seemed to get better after Chase got hurt.

We've always played a base cover 3 zone with a single high safety - similar to the seahawks legion of boom. Obv with that many men in the box it's easy to transition and disguise as man as well. Ever since the Bucs game we've adapted a more "conservative" cover 2 shell but Bobby McCain has been a beast and has allowed us to also disguise our cover 2 shell into our more known single high look as Bobby creeps towards the line a lot.

My theory on why we're been playing better defense is that a) we've had to be more creative in sending blitzes since we don't have the numbers in the box b) our personel in the secondary is more comfortable reading and reacting on the ball versus playing closer to the line. Maybe this correlates to our stars being out on the D-line, maybe not.
zero2hero
Senior

Post#1150 » by zero2hero » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Gut punch loss.

Do we let Heinicke play out the rest of the season or do we see what we have in Allen? Either way, 'we're gonna have to address our future at QB this offseason - last season was an absolute failure at that and we can't kick the can down the road any longer.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#1151 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:24 pm

Heinicke has shown he is a solid backup qb. Now WFT just need to get a starter.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1152 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:03 am

I wanted minshew in the summer lol

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1153 » by Illuminaire » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:31 pm

I don't really think Taylor has been playing badly. Our o-line has been terrible, our receiving corp is a revolving door, and our best RB fumbles the ball every 5 quarters of play.

I don't think he's a strong starter, but he's been a playable, starting level QB. He's not the problem with our offense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1154 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 pm

Illuminaire wrote:I don't really think Taylor has been playing badly. Our o-line has been terrible, our receiving corp is a revolving door, and our best RB fumbles the ball every 5 quarters of play.

I don't think he's a strong starter, but he's been a playable, starting level QB. He's not the problem with our offense.

Agreed. I want to see how he finishes out the season before making a call on him. He does need to be healthy and able to run to be effective, and I'm concerned that he's not. Gibson's another questionmark - with 6 fumbles (4 lost), and despite his good yardage numbers, he hasn't been consistent on short yardage runs. And now with all the players possibly out because of COVID, they got really big problems finishing the season. And McLaurin out with a concussion is hard to overcome.
zero2hero
Senior

Post#1155 » by zero2hero » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:50 pm

Don't get me wrong, my criticism by proxy of Taylor by saying we need an actual answer at future QB isn't saying he's a bad player. He's possibly a starter in the NFL. A more capable Colt McCoy with a knack of making plays out of his bum like Brett Farve. But he simply has limitations that is gonna prevent him from being a type of franchise QB we need. For one, his arm strength. That's not saying he can't throw the ball far, but moreso talking about his zip on those 20-30 outs. A lot of his balls in tight spaces flutter and I know you've all seen this, which is why a lot of them go high when he's trying to put zip on the ball (overcompensating for velocity).
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1156 » by gambitx777 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:17 pm

I didn't mind bringing in Fitz but I think we should have shot young I was hoping we brought in mitch trubisky and traded for gardner minshew and let them Duke it out with Tyler and Kyle

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1157 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:29 pm

zero2hero wrote:Don't get me wrong, my criticism by proxy of Taylor by saying we need an actual answer at future QB isn't saying he's a bad player. He's possibly a starter in the NFL. A more capable Colt McCoy with a knack of making plays out of his bum like Brett Farve. But he simply has limitations that is gonna prevent him from being a type of franchise QB we need. For one, his arm strength. That's not saying he can't throw the ball far, but moreso talking about his zip on those 20-30 outs. A lot of his balls in tight spaces flutter and I know you've all seen this, which is why a lot of them go high when he's trying to put zip on the ball (overcompensating for velocity).

His physical negatives are plain as day, but people seem to ignore the positives - his ability to avoid the rush is amazing, he's a terrific runner, and his ability to see the field and make quick decisions are far above average. But again, he's got to be 100% physically to be an effective starter. Yes, we can do better, but if we make a change, it better be for someone better - not for a guy like Fitzpatrick or even Trubisky - who's too inaccurate, imo.
zero2hero
Senior

Post#1158 » by zero2hero » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:00 am

Ruzious wrote:
zero2hero wrote:Don't get me wrong, my criticism by proxy of Taylor by saying we need an actual answer at future QB isn't saying he's a bad player. He's possibly a starter in the NFL. A more capable Colt McCoy with a knack of making plays out of his bum like Brett Farve. But he simply has limitations that is gonna prevent him from being a type of franchise QB we need. For one, his arm strength. That's not saying he can't throw the ball far, but moreso talking about his zip on those 20-30 outs. A lot of his balls in tight spaces flutter and I know you've all seen this, which is why a lot of them go high when he's trying to put zip on the ball (overcompensating for velocity).

His physical negatives are plain as day, but people seem to ignore the positives - his ability to avoid the rush is amazing, he's a terrific runner, and his ability to see the field and make quick decisions are far above average. But again, he's got to be 100% physically to be an effective starter. Yes, we can do better, but if we make a change, it better be for someone better - not for a guy like Fitzpatrick or even Trubisky - who's too inaccurate, imo.

No doubt. Like I said, he's really got that Brett Farve gene in him in making plays out of nothing - something that if Kirk Cousins had he would still be here today most likely. And the whole fiasco of our big QB signing of Fitz is why I considered last seasons addressing of the QB position an abject failure. I don't mind rolling our wheels with TH but we needed to bring a serious competition for long term Franchise QB, or someone who is a serious contender with talent that could possibly be groomed to start 2-3 years, or plugged in if poop hits the fan. Instead we kicked the can down the road with a complacent Fitz signing aimed only to make us competitive for a year.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#1159 » by WashWiz54 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:32 pm

In Regards to Heinicke, I am very willing to look at other options, but bringing in an average option that will just bring controversy or barely move the needle has zero upside. While I don’t subscribe to the “he’s practically a rookie” narrative that some people throw out there, I do subscribe to he is playing his first full NFL season and deserves a full season to show a body of work. So far I am decently impressed and completely willing to move forward with him if other options do not impress. I have zero interest in a Mitch, Jimmy G, Dalton, etc. Those guys are known commodities and are what they are. If they joined this team it would be a disservice to Taylor and our evaluation process. I would rather stick with him next year and fully know if he is a stop-gap or if he is a potential QB of the future.

While physical limitations do exist, there is something to the rest of his game. While a little gun happy, he is smart. He seems to have a knack for making a play, and most of all, the team will rally behind him. These things matter and are so important to having a successful team. I think I see more in Taylor than most do, but I am not ready to walk away and see other areas that need to be invested in before a Quarterback.

Unless Russell Wilson opts out and wants to sign with us, I don’t really see an option via FA that makes me jump. I also don’t see a QB in this draft that inspires me (maybe Pickett?) but otherwise I’m not wasting a high pick on an uninspiring draft class.

I would much rather see resources spent on OL, LB, CB, and maybe even TE.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1160 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:37 pm

With all the Covid and injury problems on the WFT, I'm wondering if it even makes sense to play Philly. Our D-line is especially gutted. Of course it makes $ens$e. Any chance they can postpone the game?

Return to Washington Wizards