Johnny Davis - Wisconsin

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Johnny Davis - Wisconsin 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:54 am

1st round sleeper imo, combo guard averaging 20/6/2 right now, dropped a 30 bomb against Houston, is a good spot up guy with some off the drib juice, 6-5 with a good physical pro.

posting a strong 31 PER right now with 16 BPM, we'll see how those hold up but he's a sleeper to keep an eye on.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,397

Re: Johnny Davis - Wisconsin 

Post#2 » by azcatz11 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:12 am

clyde21 wrote:1st round sleeper imo, combo guard averaging 20/6/2 right now, dropped a 30 bomb against Houston, is a good spot up guy with some off the drib juice, 6-5 with a good physical pro.

posting a strong 31 PER right now with 16 BPM, we'll see how those hold up but he's a sleeper to keep an eye on.

I was watching him the other day also. He reminds me of Garry Harris. What do you think?
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#3 » by CptCrunch » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:22 am

I don't see any 'combo' in the combo guard. He is just an undersized NBA SG who doesn't create for others based on his Youtube vids.

Based on Youtube (once again), he shoots open jumpers from 3 at a fairly mediocre 36.4% right now. He doesn't really create his own shot from the perimeter. He has some crafty move to the basket, nice mid range step and a spin to the right. But what is that? A career 6th man in an optimistic case.

I rather draft a higher RSCI failure in the last first round.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:12 pm

CptCrunch wrote:He is just an undersized NBA SG

Average height of an NBA SG is 6'4.5" so he's actually a touch above average sized for a SG. Davis is 6'5"
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
clyde21
RealGM

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 11:36 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:1st round sleeper imo, combo guard averaging 20/6/2 right now, dropped a 30 bomb against Houston, is a good spot up guy with some off the drib juice, 6-5 with a good physical pro.

I was watching him the other day also. He reminds me of Garry Harris. What do you think?

i was thinking about Gary Trent but yea, i can see that as well
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 1:20 am

another 25 piece tonight
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 12:20 am

pretty close to putting this guy top20 if not lotto, still young season but he's so good.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#8 » by Hal14 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:pretty close to putting this guy top20 if not lotto, still young season but he's so good.

I watched a few Wisconsin games the other day and now firmly have him in my lottery. He's a dog. He's a winner. He's got all kinds of moves with the ball to create space, get to the rim, get his shot off. He's a good catch and shoot guy from 3. Good passer, good (not great) defender. He plays hard.

Maybe the most improved player in college basketball. Well i guess Murray needs to be in the conversation too. But the amount these 2 guys have jumped from last season to this one is super impressive.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#9 » by Hal14 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 12:43 am

Good lord, Davis posterized one of the best shot blockers in the country:

Read on Twitter
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#10 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:03 am

"Based on Youtube (once again), he shoots open jumpers from 3 at a fairly mediocre 36.4% right now."

I have realgm stats showing he's shooting just under 40% from ncaa three. I remember raptors took terrence ross as a 3+D player, and he wasn't shooting so well in college IIRC.

A greater % of his overall shots are from three compared to his freshman season, and he's obviously scoring more points overall and per minute, so he's attempting and making a lot more threes showing improvement there most likely.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#11 » by EMG518 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:18 pm

Ehh, don't see anything that really gets me excited. Looks like he may be a role player for a team if anything.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#12 » by reanimator » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Kid can go. In a draft like this, not sure why he can't be late lotto if he keeps this pace.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,088

Post#13 » by The-Power » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:17 am

If this kid ever learns about the concept of efficiency and what a good shot is, he could be really good. Explosive and strong athlete with high-energy defense, good size and the ability to create for himself and – increasingly – for others off his scoring threat. Just needs to be smarter with his shots and continue to grow as a playmaker and shooter.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:49 am

Just seeing tonight he's #5 overall at SI.com. I don't see many holes in his game.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#15 » by getrichordie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:42 pm

There are definitely holes in Johnny Davis' game. It starts with a lack of degree of athleticism for his position as well as a lack of playmaking chops. He's capable of making plays, but he has a score first mentality (that's his role) but there are questions about his ability to consistently create for himself and make plays for others at NBA level. He takes a lot of tough shots, and to his credit, he makes some tough ones, but definitely needs to make better decisions to be starter material, IMO. And then there's the defense. He works hard, but again, his athleticism holds him back from being more effective.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:49 pm

CptCrunch wrote:I don't see any 'combo' in the combo guard. He is just an undersized NBA SG who doesn't create for others based on his Youtube vids.

Based on Youtube (once again), he shoots open jumpers from 3 at a fairly mediocre 36.4% right now. He doesn't really create his own shot from the perimeter. He has some crafty move to the basket, nice mid range step and a spin to the right. But what is that? A career 6th man in an optimistic case.

While I pretty much agree with you, I do think there is some latent playmaking potential. Think that is his biggest area for potential growth that could really change his outlook as a prospect.

It's important not to pigeon hole a prospect based on the way a particular coach wants to use him in college. (See: Bam Adebayo)
[twitter] @thunderdustin
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:51 pm

getrichordie wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:I don't see any 'combo' in the combo guard. He is just an undersized NBA SG who doesn't create for others based on his Youtube vids.

While I pretty much agree with you, I do think there is some latent playmaking potential. Think that is his biggest area for potential growth that could really change his outlook as a prospect.

It's important not to pigeon hole a prospect based on the way a particular coach wants to use him in college. (See: Bam Adebayo)

not sure how you can agree with that terrible post lol
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by CptCrunch » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Disagreeing is how you end up losing every year with the worst takes and mocks (by far on this board).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:55 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Disagreeing is how you end up losing every year with the worst takes and mocks (by far on this board).

it's a terrible post, no logic, taking an "RSCI failure" over Davis just because he was good in HS? that's a terrible take, be a man admit it and move on, no one is here for your temper tantrums.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by CptCrunch » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

it's a terrible post, no logic, taking an "RSCI failure" over Davis just because he was good in HS? that's a terrible take, be a man admit it and move on, no one is here for your temper tantrums.

Feel free to go back 4-5 years, look at my takes, compare them with yours. See who has better hit/miss chances. I don't how you are asking me to move on when you can't face the reality that your opinions on here are among the worst year after year.

Return to NBA Draft