ImageImageImageImageImage

Its time for the Knicks to make a move on Randle before its too late.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 15,662

Its time for the Knicks to make a move on Randle before its too late. 

Post#1 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:06 am

There are a multitude of reasons why we should trade Randle. Even prior to this terrible season some wanted to trade him simply off the fact that he didn't fit in the 'win' window of the rest of our young guys due to being a few years old.

Now add the fact that he's been complete garbage this year, you begin to ponder if Randle's great season last year was mostly due to having no fans in the stands. This may have seemed crazy to think last year, but honestly he's shown time and time again he is a weak player mentally, between missing free throws and the famous crumbling in the playoffs last year, one has to wonder if his success during the regular season truly was due to no fans.

It doesn't help that he also NEEDS the offense to run through him, and he ruins the flow. He also hurts us defensively as his effort from last season on that end is completely gone at this point. He completely prevents us from doing ANYTHING with him on the team until 2026.. we'll either have to trade for someone better than him(which in turn would end up with us giving up young assets and picks all just to be maybe a 1st or 2nd round exit for a few years and end up with no good young players at the end of it, for nothing) and he'll actually have to bow out and defer, which I think he wouldn't even be good as an off ball player.. or we need to trade him.

Now begs the questions, what value does Randle have at this point.. ? I honestly don't know right now, do other teams also think he's complete garbage or do they think hmm, maybe as a not #1 option he could do well again.

All I know is that if he continues to play this way, his value will only get worse, and you don't want that contract going all the way through to 2026 if he continues to play this way. Its time to cut bait early before its too late, let him go play #3 option on a team and either flourish or flounder in that situation.

I would honestly even consider trading him for.. yep, I'll say it.. someone like John Wall. Which sounds crazy but if you think about it contract wise, and how negative value Wall has(we'd need a 3rd team maybe to move Randle to, as Rockets are in rebuild mode).. if we're willing to eat this and next year's huge salary. Not to mention the fact that Wall would love to run and gun with the kids. We would end up with cap space the following summer in 2023, instead of being stuck with Randle on the books til 2026. And if Randle's value is still seen as a positive, maybe we can throw in Fournier to get out of his contract too, or even get some picks or something in return. At the end of the day it would be about moving a contract that runs through 2026, for a contract that only runs through 2023. And its Dolan's pockets not mine so idc how much more Wall gets paid over Randle.

So what do you think, should we cut bait ASAP or try to just deal with having him on this team for another 4+ years.....
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 787

Re: Its time for the Knicks to make a move on Randle before its too late. 

Post#2 » by KOA » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:31 am

Where was this talk last year when Randle led the team to the playoffs and won MIP? Or how about the month of October when the Knicks were 5-1?
Is there any player this board wouldn't turn on in the blink of a second?

This is the reason the Knicks can never have a good team. The fan base isn't willing to be patient (unless its the likes of Frank Ntilikina). How can you ever rebuild with a fan base that turn on any and every player after a poor game? This is becoming disgraceful...
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#3 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:45 am

KOA wrote:Where was this talk last year when Randle led the team to the playoffs and won MIP? Or how about the month of October when the Knicks were 5-1?

This is the reason the Knicks can never have a good team. The fan base isn't willing to be patient (unless its the likes of Frank Ntilikina). How can you ever rebuild with a fan base that turn on any and every player after a poor game? This is becoming disgraceful...

One fluke season vs his whole career so far.

Also when we were 5-1 in October it wasn't due to Randle's play all that much. He's been struggling the whole season. He's just not the same player and the one factor is the fans being there again. He was bad his first year here too.

He's too much of a black hole, in theory this team may very well be better without having to center the offense around him. His on/off stats and how we're very successful as a bench when he's not on the court is truly telling.

Enzo954
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,254

Post#4 » by Enzo954 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 am

KOA wrote:Where was this talk last year when Randle led the team to the playoffs and won MIP? Or how about the month of October when the Knicks were 5-1?

You're being unreasonable in this specific scenario with Randle. Last season was a shortened Covid season with no fans. It was just flat out different. Randle has been hot garbage almost every game since the playoffs last year. I was team Randle all the way last year, but his play and attitude is ruining this squad. Is it 100% his fault? No, I blame Thibs almost as much for giving Randle this incredibly long leash to do whatever he wants out there on the floor without repercussions.

The Knicks need to get what they can for him because we won't be able to build a contender around him. I'm not down to trade away all of our talented youth in attempt to make that happen. Get what you can and build around the young guys. I personally have no problem watching the youth grow into their roles over the next year or 2, while we try to find another number 1 option. It was a mistake and we need to move on and accept it.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,917

Post#5 » by islanders11040 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:52 am

Randle is the 50th highest paid player or so after his extension. So I don’t think he will ever be that hard to trade since I think it’s fair value. I don’t believe the options u give that we either have to trade him ASAP or 4+ years from now. Let it play out at least another year and see where we are at.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,643

Post#6 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:00 am

It was here, several of us hated his game and understood he was having a contract year in a weird season that didn't have fans 90% of it.

The rest of your post was embarrassing.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#7 » by Marty McFly » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:36 am

firstly, he didn't lead the knicks to the playoffs, Derrick Rose did.

Secondly, speaking for myself, I wasn't in favor of retaining him and actually preferred trading him last season. had several heated arguments with a lot of people because of it. I will say though that he isn't as big of an issue as he could have been given his contract. the guy is a third best player on a championship winning team at best, and thanks to his paycut, he actually gets paid like one.

the **** up wasn't retaining him, the **** up was the FO punting for a future free agency class structuring this summers free agents signings the way they did.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,540

Post#8 » by ctorres » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:00 am

Im Coming Home wrote:So what do you think, should we cut bait ASAP or try to just deal with having him on this team for another 4+ years.....

I'm eyeing the Timberwolves as a potential trade partner for Julius Randle. There are a number of trade scenarios that would work with them. Randle and Towns are on record with their desire to play together.

Knicks could take some form of combination of players among Patrick Beverley, Jarred Vanderbuilt, Taurean Prince, and Malik Beasley.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,758

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:45 am

Marty McFly wrote:

firstly, he didn't lead the knicks to the playoffs, Derrick Rose did.

Secondly, speaking for myself, I wasn't in favor of retaining him and actually preferred trading him last season. had several heated arguments with a lot of people because of it. I will say though that he isn't as big of an issue as he could have been given his contract. the guy is a third best player on a championship winning team at best, and thanks to his paycut, he actually gets paid like one.

the **** up wasn't retaining him, the **** up was the FO punting for a future free agency class structuring this summers free agents signings the way they did.

The real problem was starting a team around a player with such a low ceiling. You don’t do that. You suck until you really have something, then build from scratch. I said it in another thread: We started building around the window, not from the bottom up. Now the house has no solid foundation. It’s just stupid.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,616

Post#10 » by KnicksGadfly » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:25 pm

I think the thing that gets me is this…why did he stop playing defense? That’s effin unacceptable to me. I can understand his offense struggling but defense is a controllable factor. I defended him before, but the more he doesn’t play hard, the more I start wondering if it’s worth it.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#11 » by duetta » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:35 pm

Looking at his numbers, Randle had a very productive season in New Orleans the year before he signed here. I would think that they have positive memories of him.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#12 » by duetta » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:40 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:

I think the thing that gets me is this…why did he stop playing defense? That’s effin unacceptable to me. I can understand his offense struggling but defense is a controllable factor. I defended him before, but the more he doesn’t play hard, the more I start wondering if it’s worth it.

I think he's being forced to play too many minutes here in NY. Thibs plays favorites and he's trying to ride Randle. But Randle doesn't have the stamina to play both sides of the court while playing this many minutes.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#13 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:42 pm

You're looking at things upside down.

The Knicks aren't unable to put together a good team because the fans are impatient.

The fans are impatient because the Knicks can't put together a good team.

Blaming the fans for the Knicks repeating the same mistakes for almost two decades (besides one good season in 2012-13) is crazy. The fans don't draft busts, nor do they commit to mediocre NBA players they then expect too much from.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#14 » by BKlutch » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:52 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:

The Knicks aren't unable to put together a good team because the fans are impatient.

Blaming the fans for the Knicks repeating the same mistakes for almost two decades (besides one good season in 2012-13) is crazy. The fans don't draft busts, nor do they commit to mediocre NBA players they then expect too much from.

A group of fans hire a taxi. They are impatient, so they tell the driver to go through the red light. He doesn't want to, but he does because the fans would be unhappy. Of course he gets caught and is given a ticket.

It isn't the fans' fault the driver got the ticket — it's the driver's fault.

Actually, after almost 50 years since our last championship, the fans are NOT impatient. They're apoplectic. But it is the FO's responsibility to do the right thing. Never happened under Dolan. Now that Leon & Co. are "running the show," it's their responsibility to do the right thing. I'm not convinced they've screwed up as badly as it might seem, and they do need to show some good decision making before we panic (nobody here is panicking, right?), but they don't have a lot of time to show us they know what they're doing.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,784

Post#15 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:05 pm

Knicks totally f*cked up the offseason. I thought initially they had the right idea, if not the best execution, but I thought I sort of understood it.

I didn't realize what an awful fit Walker and Friar Suck are with Randle.
I thought Thibs and Kenny Payne got through to Randle and it wasn't the famous "contract year push"

I was seriously wrong on both counts. Which bodes well for RJ, since I think he's not that good. :-)

Just awful team building, bad sense of where the team is at etc. A shocking development since Leon Rose is an amateur FO person and he retained Scott "Mr Mediocrity" Perry.

I like the Thibs hire. Payne is respected and Johnny Bryant is supposed to have a nice future. The maniac ex-lawyer Mini-Thibs seems good. Perrin I figured is good. Zanin I didn't know about and still don't, other then the vets the Knicks signed look like sh*t and he's a pro player Asst GM, so he's suspect to me now. Aller is supposed to me good with the cap; he's made some moves to extract extra 2nd rounders etc, and Knicks needed that, so that's a plus.

But Knicks also seem to operating on FO by committee and it's not really generating results, at least not this year. Someone was more responsible for this mess than others, in terms of input. I'm going with Perry and Zanin kind of sucking at what they do and they need to be let go.

Whatever. Knicks once again roll out a boring product of semi washed and ill fitting vets while also investing too much money in players not worth it.

I thought we got past "Same Ol Knicks" but this is EXACTLY "Same Ol Knicks"

What's really different than having Clarence Weatherspoon or Jerome James or Shandon Anderson or Jarrett Jack or Al Harrington or Beasley, with this group? Nothing that I can detect.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#16 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Spot on. OP was a frank stan too and called everyone dumb if you thought he sucked. :lol:
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#17 » by Im Coming Home » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:14 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

Spot on. OP was a frank stan too and called everyone dumb if you thought he sucked. :lol:

Lying. I said he had potential and people who didn't see his effectiveness on the defensive end were blind.

But this thread probably isn't for you, you think Randle needs help and just blindly support him despite being horrible again this season like his first season here.

Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#18 » by Chanel Bomber » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:25 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:

A group of fans hire a taxi. They are impatient, so they tell the driver to go through the red light. He doesn't want to, but he does because the fans would be unhappy. Of course he gets caught and is given a ticket.

It isn't the fans' fault the driver got the ticket — it's the driver's fault.

Actually, after almost 50 years since our last championship, the fans are NOT impatient. They're apoplectic. But it is the FO's responsibility to do the right thing. Never happened under Dolan. Now that Leon & Co. are "running the show," it's their responsibility to do the right thing. I'm not convinced they've screwed up as badly as it might seem, and they do need to show some good decision making before we panic (nobody here is panicking, right?), but they don't have a lot of time to show us they know what they're doing.

I'm not panicking, I knew we were screwed once James Dolan hired another novice with no basketball or analytics expertise in Leon Rose.

The only good decision this regime has made was to trade for Derrick Rose, who was the main catalyst behind our playoff push last season. The only other personnel decision they might have gotten right was the IQ pick, and even then, the pick was essentially made by WWW, who should have never been in a position to wield this sort of influence on a major basketball decision to begin with.

I think we're dealing with an amateur front office, which thankfully includes a couple of technocrats who will help safeguard this franchise until Leon Rose gets desperate and makes another ill-advised, franchise-crippling move before his eventual demotion. Extending Randle, and signing Fournier to that 3-year deal were the first signs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#19 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:27 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

Lying. I said he had potential and people who didn't see his effectiveness on the defensive end were blind.

But this thread probably isn't for you, you think Randle needs help and just blindly support him despite being horrible again this season like his first season here.

Nah just calling it facts. Not surprised you capping about it cause that’s what you do. You blindly supported that bum and told people we didn’t know basketball if we thought he sucked. So yeah preaching patience for a trash bum who’s about to be out the league but wanting to get rid of an all star for garbage is one of the funniest takes ive seen. :lol: you’re right this thread isn’t for me. Carry on.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,004

Post#20 » by god shammgod » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Return to New York Knicks