ImageImage

Fan pulse: ~40% through the season

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

How do you feel about Portland's near-term future (rest of the season)?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:09 pm

Positive
No votes
Neutral/mixed
27%
Negative
73%

Total votes: 11

Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Fan pulse: ~40% through the season 

Post#1 » by Moonbeam » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:09 pm

The Blazers have played another 16 games since the first poll in this series, so it's time to revisit how Portland fans are feeling about the team. At the conclusion of the first poll, there were 4 positive responses, 5 neutral/mixed ones, and 2 negative ones, for a positivity score of 0.591 (there have been a few more votes that came in after the Blazers played at least one more game after that, so I didn't count those).

As of today, Portland has a 13-19 record, having faced the toughest schedule in the league by opponent SRS.

Here are some overall stats:

SRS: -1.70 (22nd), 1.81 last year
ORTG: 110.0 (14th), +0.8 relative to the league average (compared to +5.5 last year)
DRTG: 113.0 (29th), +3.8 relative to league average (compared to +3.7 last year)

How are you feeling about the season so far? What do you think the prospects are for the near term for the Blazers?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Re: Fan pulse: ~40% through the season 

Post#2 » by JasonStern » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:45 am

I feel like there could be some good opportunities to pick up Blazer gear off of the clearance racks soon. Just make sure to avoid anything with player names on them if you want to wear them for sure next year.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#3 » by red_power » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:04 am

1. Tank the season to get the top pick.
2. Lay Dame off a little bit to give him some rest after all those seasons carrying the mediocre team to the playoffs.
3. Flip CJ and other guys for the more suitable options.

This outlook doesn't look that bad though.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#4 » by red_power » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:06 am

JasonStern wrote:Just make sure to avoid anything with player names on them if you want to wear them for sure next year.

The major redesign of the equipment is coming too, I bet.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,867

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:17 pm

Negative, very negative.

We are 2 games better than OKC, a team that is doing its best to tank but is winning games based on its fun, young talent in SGA, Dort and Giddey. Being bad and old is so much less fun than bad and young.

It doesnt help that the 2022 draft looks like absolute poo for the most part. We just missed out on what looks like a historically good 2021 draft.

Its not looking good. And worse of all, its just a boring product.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#6 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:13 pm

gotta be positive because after all, "it's not the roster"
valleyman33
Junior
And1: 37

Post#7 » by valleyman33 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:47 pm

I'm on the fence. New coach, front office turnovers and general upheaval. While I'm not sure about the interim GM, or the new President, I'm optimistic they can swing some trades/deals to balance this team. I do not want to see Lillard go anywhere, and would love to see what he could do with some better players around him… (Do what it takes to bring in someone like Sabonis from Indiana please)
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right."
Henry Ford
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,960

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:gotta be positive because after all, "it's not the roster"

"This is the deepest roster we've ever had Jace."
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#9 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:34 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:gotta be positive because after all, "it's not the roster"

"This is the deepest roster we've ever had Jace."

he meant to say it was the shortest roster they've ever had. 6 players under 6'4
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,352

Post#10 » by JRoy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:44 pm

The first step in fixing a problem is admitting that you have a problem.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#11 » by GEE » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:01 pm

40% already... Oh Boy. I feel like many of us know what courses of action and changes that could realistically take place, and we will continue to debate these changes, but Jody will need to be presented all possible courses with their possible upsides and downfalls / Risks, and she will need to chose that course, and the bigger the change... the tougher the decision likely is.

Needs to happen sooner rather than later. The longer this goes on, the further the decline in all players' values, but I think the three main choices are:

1. Trade Dame, whether he wants one or not. Get max value, yada-yada-yada. I've already lobbied hard for this, so I'll spare you all for now.

2. Put everyone else on the trading block. Rearrange the deck chairs... Again, but this time include CJ. This worries me because I think we could get worked by another GM. I fear a bad trade will be the most likely of all scenarios, like one that finally moves CJ, but also includes the young talents of ANT and Little. Equally concerning will be what we get in return. I can envision a big sexy player move coming soon, but bringing back talent we don't really need... J. Grant and an FRP for CJ / ANT / Little is about what I EXPECT to see happen, and it's going to make me puke and cry at the same time.

3. Do Nothing / Kick the can. This is the second most likely move IMO, because it's the easiest thing to do... or not do. Decide that Dame is still raking in enough Cash Money for the Seattle Vulcans, and the risks involved with ANY changes just aren't worth it right now. Maybe Chauncey will find the formula and we can make a push for a similar result of years' past. Get management in order, then make changes. Tanking and shutting Dame down, like GS did with Curry, also works under this path. Downfall WILL BE after Portland doesn't make the playoffs as their arena continues to have less butts in seats, resulting in losses in ($$$) for the Vulcans. We will then be back to deciding on plan #1 or #2. Just keep in mind that the players' values will continue to decline with time, except with Little and ANT, but I again think they are likely gone the same way GTJ and Collins are gone... with Dame's approval.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers