Hawks are 17-24. What's happening?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LukaTheGOAT
Analyst
And1: 2,747

Re: Hawks are 14-16. What's happening? 

Post#321 » by LukaTheGOAT » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:58 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Covid , there defense has been terrible and Trae hasn’t been playing well .

Trae is 3rd in the league in per-possession scoring rate and is doing it on above average efficiency.
dkb965
Junior
And1: 299

Re: Hawks are 11-10. What's happening? 

Post#322 » by dkb965 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:31 am

Sothron wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Sothron wrote:
The only way they would trade him would be to get a star player in return.

The article on Wiretap said that the Hawks were looking for a draft pick, but that might be a false rumor. If you're looking for a star player in return obviously it'd have to be a multiple player trade (possibly with picks involved).

I haven't watched Reddish enough, but he's only 22 and seems to be improving...?

He is both of those things. I would not trade him. Our coach is too entrenched with playing veterans and sticking to rotations even when they aren't working. I think Cam should be starting for us outside of covid/injuries. I think it is possible the Hawks do a consolidation trade using Cam as the best young player in a deal to get a star. I don't know how likely it is. I saw that crazy article as well. There's no reason to trade Cam for a draft pick when you hope the draft pick develops into...what Cam already is? I mean that article was just silly.

I believe the reasoning for the rumor of trading Reddish was based on the idea that Atlanta would not be able to pay all of their young core players and retain all of their important vets. I imagine the Hawks would love to package 2 or 3 of their young player and possibly some draft picks to land a young star 2 way wing.
Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Re: Hawks are 15-16. What's happening? 

Post#323 » by Sothron » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:36 am

We just punked the Sixers on their home court with SEVEN HAWKS OUT and then losing TWO MORE players to injury in the game. Big win for the good guys tonight. biggest win of the year, easily. Amazing that we just out played and out hustled a basically fully healthy Sixers team on the road.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,608

Post#324 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:42 am

Sothron wrote:We just punked the Sixers on their home court with SEVEN HAWKS OUT and then losing TWO MORE players to injury in the game. Big win for the good guys tonight. biggest win of the year, easily. Amazing that we just out played and out hustled a basically fully healthy Sixers team on the road.

Shocking that without Trae young the managed to hold an opponent under 100 for one of the few times this year.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#325 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:47 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Sothron wrote:We just punked the Sixers on their home court with SEVEN HAWKS OUT and then losing TWO MORE players to injury in the game. Big win for the good guys tonight. biggest win of the year, easily. Amazing that we just out played and out hustled a basically fully healthy Sixers team on the road.

Shocking that without Trae young the managed to hold an opponent under 100 for one of the few times this year.

A big reason for the hawks defense was Okongwu who got his first start of the year tonight. Of course Reddish goes down with an ankle injury though after 34 last night and 18 points in 3 quarters tonight (in his first two starts). :banghead: (edit: could be cramping for Reddish)
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,006

Post#326 » by JDR720 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:50 am

They're an average team. Pretty much like the Hornets. Really good/great offense, but a terrible/bad defense. Them making the ECF, quite frankly, was a fluke. It's like when Toronto won the title. Right place, right time.
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,466

Post#327 » by Ball4life32 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:56 am

JDR720 wrote:They're an average team. Pretty much like the Hornets. Really good/great offense, but a terrible/bad defense. Them making the ECF, quite frankly, was a fluke. It's like when Toronto won the title. Right place, right time.

Hawks are +1.3 while the hornets are -2.2 point differential. Hawks defense hasn’t been good but not Hornets level bad.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#328 » by Sothron » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:02 am

JDR720 wrote:They're an average team. Pretty much like the Hornets. Really good/great offense, but a terrible/bad defense. Them making the ECF, quite frankly, was a fluke. It's like when Toronto won the title. Right place, right time.

Hawks are better than average. Team hasn't been healthy a single GAME all season. Once the team finally gets healthy the league is on lock.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Re: Hawks are 20-62. What's happening? 

Post#329 » by J_T » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:31 am

I need an update on what's happening.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,616

Post#330 » by Threezus » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:49 am

chrismikayla wrote:Delon Wright is a strange player to watch. He doesn't stand out on the court and you hardly notice he's on the floor. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad LOL. Do you all like him as the backup or should Nate unleash Cooper?

Unleash Coop most of us don't want Wright anywhere near the 2nd lineup right now lol. Him and Lou Will are killing us when they hit the floor this year. Wright to me is a bring him in the 4th quarter when you have a lead and want a all defensive group out there type of guy. Sorta like a Khris Dunn type of player which isn't a horrible thing to have if you have better players in front of them on the 2nd or 3rd string. Hope Coop is gaining experience quick because he looks to be really talented and could be a quality PG in the nba upside wise.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,616

Post#331 » by Threezus » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:53 am

LukaTheGOAT wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Covid , there defense has been terrible and Trae hasn’t been playing well .

Trae is 3rd in the league in per-possession scoring rate and is doing it on above average efficiency.

I don't understand all the crapping on Trae lately the dude is having one of if not his best year. He is doing it with the new rules and his numbers in efficiency are above avg. 2nd in Points per game, 3rd in Per Possession and 3rd in Assists. Top 5 PPG lef offense in the league at that.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,522

Post#332 » by KGtabake » Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:18 pm

The Raptors were a great team by all accounts.
Their defense had 2 DPOYs (Kawhi, Gasol), a blocking champion(Ibaka), 2 all defense caliber guys(Lowry, Siakam) and another 2 good defenders(Green, Van Vleet) at the time.
That's an all time great defense.
Pretty random comparison.

I like both the Hornets and the Hawks. Very fun teams to watch, teams on the rise.
The Raptors in '19 though were clearly better. Much more balanced on the two sides of the ball, with a superstar at his peak.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Re: Hawks are 11-10. What's happening? 

Post#333 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:50 pm

dkb965 wrote:
Sothron wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
The article on Wiretap said that the Hawks were looking for a draft pick, but that might be a false rumor. If you're looking for a star player in return obviously it'd have to be a multiple player trade (possibly with picks involved).

I haven't watched Reddish enough, but he's only 22 and seems to be improving...?

He is both of those things. I would not trade him. Our coach is too entrenched with playing veterans and sticking to rotations even when they aren't working. I think Cam should be starting for us outside of covid/injuries. I think it is possible the Hawks do a consolidation trade using Cam as the best young player in a deal to get a star. I don't know how likely it is. I saw that crazy article as well. There's no reason to trade Cam for a draft pick when you hope the draft pick develops into...what Cam already is? I mean that article was just silly.

I believe the reasoning for the rumor of trading Reddish was based on the idea that Atlanta would not be able to pay all of their young core players and retain all of their important vets. I imagine the Hawks would love to package 2 or 3 of their young player and possibly some draft picks to land a young star 2 way wing.

At the time he had really poor shooting percentages, and had not turned the corner. This season he's taken a noticeable step up. The Hawks can let Gallo walk and move Bogi for an expiring if need be. Even last season the price for Reddish was a top 15 pick.

Schlenk will try to package him for an established starter instead most likely. He's talked about consolidating, it's getting closer to that point.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Post#334 » by Wagonband » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Maybe they just need a coaching change again. Players getting bored with their current coach.

It could become the thing the Hawks are known for; changing a mediocre coach with a mediocre coach and suddenly the team looks like a contender again :)
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,942

Post#335 » by shakes0 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trae is going to finish top 5 MVP voting at the rate he’s playing. Just need the record to improve a bit and he’s in the running for that as well as 1st team all NBA.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#336 » by Sothron » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:46 pm

The NBA needs to postpone our games. This is a f***ing joke. The Bulls got their games postponed but we can't? We have EIGHT PLAYERS out on covid and another two injured who can't play PLUS two guys injured in last night's game. That's TWELVE players out! How can we play games like this?
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,658

Post#337 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:38 am

As someone who doesn't follow the team, I'm confused. Is this just about injuries and Covid?

I thought this team was on the rise, but looking at the standings right now they seem like they're fighting for a playoff seed.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#338 » by MGB8 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:42 am

HotRocks34 wrote:As someone who doesn't follow the team, I'm confused. Is this just about injuries and Covid?

I thought this team was on the rise, but looking at the standings right now they seem like they're fighting for a playoff seed.

Hawks are getting killed with Covid outs right now, on top of other injuries. Bad timing too in terms of their schedule. And just barely healthy enough to avoid postponements - though Raps took it even worse.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,907

Post#339 » by jayu70 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:42 am

HotRocks34 wrote:As someone who doesn't follow the team, I'm confused. Is this just about injuries and Covid?

Take a look and let me know. Trae, Reddish and Capela are the only players available for tonight's game.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#340 » by MGB8 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:45 am

jayu70 wrote:

Take a look and let me know. Trae, Reddish and Capela are the only players available for tonight's game.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Iwundu played. But, unlike last game, Bogs and Dieng didn’t.

Return to The General Board