ImageImage

Shaq & Chuck Flame the Blazers

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Shaq & Chuck Flame the Blazers 

Post#1 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:08 am

“They need to break the team up and start over. They can get some good pieces. They can get some draft pieces. They should have broken Lillard and McCollum up three years ago. They lost in the first round three years in a row. You lose in the first round, you ain’t no good…It’s time to start over.”

Charles Barkley, NBA on TNT

“To Chuck’s point. If you make it to the Conference Finals, and then you lose the first round, you’re no good. It’s time to break this team up…What they have been doing hasn’t worked. Dame is getting older, CJ is getting older. It’s time to either get rid of one of them or get rid of both of them."

Shaquille O’Neal, NBA on TNT

there is video if you have the stomach for it:

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/shaq-and-charles-flame-the-blazers-they-aint-no-good/
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,354

Re: Shaq & Chuck Flame the Blazers 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:56 am

They’re right
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 am

Everyone on this board knew this three years ago
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#4 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:43 am

Wizenheimer wrote:“They need to break the team up and start over. They can get some good pieces. They can get some draft pieces. They should have broken Lillard and McCollum up three years ago. They lost in the first round three years in a row. You lose in the first round, you ain’t no good…It’s time to start over.”

“To Chuck’s point. If you make it to the Conference Finals, and then you lose the first round, you’re no good. It’s time to break this team up…What they have been doing hasn’t worked. Dame is getting older, CJ is getting older. It’s time to either get rid of one of them or get rid of both of them."

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/shaq-and-charles-flame-the-blazers-they-aint-no-good/
It's funny seeing Chuck say that, given he's absolutely loved Portland's chances in the playoffs in recent years (perhaps in 2018-19 and 2019-20?).

Either way, I agree. I think we all do.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#5 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:15 pm

They are right.

This team sucks, and worse than sucking there is not even a semblance of light at the end of the tunnel.

We all knew how this would end up eventually.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#6 » by Sinobas » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:13 pm

I've wanted to break up the CJ/Dame duo for years, but instead Olshey just kept reloading. He'd grasp on any success as a reason to not make a move (we got the 4th seed, we got to the conference finals...) I thought surely this would be the last straw, getting bounced in the 1st to an injured Nuggets team when we were full strenght.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#7 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:59 pm

They may not be wrong but they'd never be front office execs. They also completely dismiss analytics.

Hey a few years ago, they doubted the Warriors or Barkley did at least.

He questioned jump shooting teams, talking about teams will punish them inside. His knowledge of basketball is still stuck in the '90s.

In fact, his objection may be more that CJ and Dame are two short guards, more than the roster as a whole don't work for the modern game.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#8 » by monopoman » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:“They need to break the team up and start over. They can get some good pieces. They can get some draft pieces. They should have broken Lillard and McCollum up three years ago. They lost in the first round three years in a row. You lose in the first round, you ain’t no good…It’s time to start over.”

It's funny seeing Chuck say that, given he's absolutely loved Portland's chances in the playoffs in recent years (perhaps in 2018-19 and 2019-20?).

Either way, I agree. I think we all do.

He was claiming the Blazers would sweep the Lakers the year the Lakers won the championship with LBJ and AD.

The year before that where we went to the WCF he claimed before the playoffs began that the Blazers would make it to the NBA Finals. He was close but wrong, and was as far as I know the only sports pundit giving the Blazers that level of credit.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,163

Post#9 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:51 am

I cant remember enthusiasm for the Blazers this low in a long time.

With the Nets game postponed they get a nice holiday break, lets hope the players can all catch their breath, spend some time with their families and recenter themselves and come back focused and ready for the rest of the season.

And I hope everyone here can do the same, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#10 » by soobias » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:52 am

only prob now is that their value is low imo.
we should've done it it after WCF we could've gotten a lot back imo again lol.
most of us felt N.O. screwed this team in 2016 and been its been uphill ever since.
i just hope new GM has a pair and wont get caught up in his own ego.
Epicurus
RealGM
And1: 867

Post#11 » by Epicurus » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:55 am

JRoy wrote:They’re right
No, Barkley was factually wrong regarding the successive years of losing in the first round. O'Neill was logically idiotic the WCF and losing the next year with a different starting front court (among other personnel changs) are not related. Excellent players sophomoric thinkers.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers