ImageImage

Official: Olshey Fired

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Re: Official: Olshey Fired 

Post#61 » by Blazinaway » Mon Dec 6, 2021 3:50 pm

well apparently he just came out and said he'd like to play with Simmons, wonder how CJ's taking that. lol
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,889

Post#62 » by JasonStern » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:04 pm

As I stated in a T&T thread (?), an interim GM doesn't mean that moves won't be made. The 76ers and Blazers talked about a Simmons trade in the past. And I imagine the Blazers had an offer that the 76ers were not willing to accept. If the 76ers agree to the previous "Portland's final offer", then I imagine a trade could still get done. But given Philly's leaked CJ+3 1sts+3 swaps and no reports of the 76ers coming down in their demands despite ongoing Simmons drama, I wouldn't expect a trade to actually occur.

The main takeaway of an interim GM is that the Blazers are unlikely to make any major shakeups until a new GM is onboard and a long-term vision is decided upon.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#63 » by Norm2953 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:36 pm

I think it will depend on how Dame is recovering from his injury. If he needs surgery, Portland will simply tank
to get into the lottery for the team we've seen the last two games, is the team we will have for the rest of
the season. There is no reason to mess with a Simmons trade if Dame is going to miss significant time. Let the
new GM decide the direction of the franchise.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#64 » by Blazinaway » Mon Dec 6, 2021 6:38 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I think it will depend on how Dame is recovering from his injury. If he needs surgery, Portland will simply tank
to get into the lottery for the team we've seen the last two games, is the team we will have for the rest of
the season. There is no reason to mess with a Simmons trade if Dame is going to miss significant time. Let the
new GM decide the direction of the franchise.

agree, Dame's health is a key to any trade/move
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,167

Post#65 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:41 pm

I'm a bit skeptical of that Lillard demand. It's not his style, generally when statements like that get reported from him, he was asked a leading question like "would you be interested in playing with Simmons?" that is taken out of context and reported as if he said that out of the blue.

But I haven't seen the Athletic article in question so I'm not sure of the context.
J-RITZ
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#66 » by J-RITZ » Mon Dec 6, 2021 7:48 pm

What do you think the chances are of Chauncey being fired are, when a ne GM is hired, for being Neils guy?
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#67 » by red_power » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:04 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I'm a bit skeptical of that Lillard demand.

I'm 100% sure it's Neil Olshey who is leaking those insights everywhere right now.
And it means that the credibility of those rumors could be somewhat under the question.

You never know whether he speaks from his heart or simply settles the scores with the guys he never really liked.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 875

Post#68 » by red_power » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:09 pm

J-RITZ wrote:What do you think the chances are of Chauncey being fired are, when a ne GM is hired, for being Neils guy?

Slim to zero right now in my opinion. Remember, nobody wants to pay a contract termination fee unless the situation absolutely crosses the point of no return.
Especially when we talk about a man, who was hired just a couple of months ago.

And I think Blazers organization and Billups are way too far from that line.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,889

Post#69 » by JasonStern » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:42 pm

J-RITZ wrote:What do you think the chances are of Chauncey being fired are, when a ne GM is hired, for being Neils guy?

Depends on a series of variables:
* How does this season play out?
* How do the players feel about him?
* How does the new GM feel about him?
* What's his contract situation?
* Who else is available?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#70 » by GEE » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:11 pm

I just had a thought about Olshey. He held a great deal of Power in the Blazers organization, yes? Chris McGowen would have had a fairly equal amount or more (in theory) as Olshey, one would guess... So I'm wondering, with only a interim GM currently, How big of a Power Vacuum is there right now?

You have to be concerned, with some very big name writers and TV show personalities feeding rumors coming from Dame's camp, allegedly that Dame is trying hard to make the decisions now, and essentially run ****. WOJ, Shams, CBS all with articles talking about Portland's current mess; Locker Room splitting type stuff for sure. Dame wanting to trade CJ, and/or other valuable veterans being rumored. Add the choices of words being used by Chauncey, in his most recent post-game interviews, and one should think we are at a major crossroad here. My biggest hope is that Jody was smart enough to already have a fairly solid restructuring plan in place, with names, before the firing of Neil, and with that we will see a quick changeover, with moves already in place. Now, execute!

Of course some of this turbulence is to be expected, but my tin foil hat is hot as ever. I wonder what kind of unknown information the recent investigation may have turned up, particularly between Dame and Olshey. We'll never know of course, but as I now hear more recent chatter about what Dame wants/wanted with player changes, while also hearing about his desire for his Super-Duper Monopoly-Max contract extension... I'm very concerned.

I feel the "Cross-road" is real, and could be defined as a choice between Dame, or CJ and the rest of the team. I understand how Dame's ego, powered by fame and a desire for more more more can potentially become a real issue, if it hasn't already, and see Dame may be trying to make power moves that could easily backfire. Especially with no Olshey now, Could the ownership surprise us, go against the normal all things Damian Lillard, and cash in on their cash cow while his value and game is at it's very peak, with IMHO, just one foot now over the hill.

Trade Dame for Simmons/Drummond/Picks&Swaps/plus whatever... OR, do what Dame allegedly wants and put everyone else on the block, knowing you likely won't be able to improve the talent nearly enough, to compensate for the what I'm sure is now, a broken locker room. Franchise Star player wants to call the shots... Big problems for an Interim GM.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#71 » by Case2012 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:00 am

GEE wrote:I just had a thought about Olshey. He held a great deal of Power in the Blazers organization, yes? Chris McGowen would have had a fairly equal amount or more (in theory) as Olshey, one would guess... So I'm wondering, with only a interim GM currently, How big of a Power Vacuum is there right now?

You have to be concerned, with some very big name writers and TV show personalities feeding rumors coming from Dame's camp, allegedly that Dame is trying hard to make the decisions now, and essentially run ****. WOJ, Shams, CBS all with articles talking about Portland's current mess; Locker Room splitting type stuff for sure. Dame wanting to trade CJ, and/or other valuable veterans being rumored. Add the choices of words being used by Chauncey, in his most recent post-game interviews, and one should think we are at a major crossroad here. My biggest hope is that Jody was smart enough to already have a fairly solid restructuring plan in place, with names, before the firing of Neil, and with that we will see a quick changeover, with moves already in place. Now, execute!

Of course some of this turbulence is to be expected, but my tin foil hat is hot as ever. I wonder what kind of unknown information the recent investigation may have turned up, particularly between Dame and Olshey. We'll never know of course, but as I now hear more recent chatter about what Dame wants/wanted with player changes, while also hearing about his desire for his Super-Duper Monopoly-Max contract extension... I'm very concerned.

I feel the "Cross-road" is real, and could be defined as a choice between Dame, or CJ and the rest of the team. I understand how Dame's ego, powered by fame and a desire for more more more can potentially become a real issue, if it hasn't already, and see Dame may be trying to make power moves that could easily backfire. Especially with no Olshey now, Could the ownership surprise us, go against the normal all things Damian Lillard, and cash in on their cash cow while his value and game is at it's very peak, with IMHO, just one foot now over the hill.

Trade Dame for Simmons/Drummond/Picks&Swaps/plus whatever... OR, do what Dame allegedly wants and put everyone else on the block, knowing you likely won't be able to improve the talent nearly enough, to compensate for the what I'm sure is now, a broken locker room. Franchise Star player wants to call the shots... Big problems for an Interim GM.

I think your characterizations of Dame are extremely off base. All these things coming out are being leaked by that callous little ****stick Olshey on the back end to make himself look better. It’s pathetic, but unsurprising behavior from our former GM.

Read on Twitter
Instagram: @casetwelve
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#72 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Well the Jazz hired Ainge as head of basketball operations.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#73 » by DusterBuster » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:23 pm

wco81 wrote:Well the Jazz hired Ainge as head of basketball operations.

Another non-swing and a miss by the Blazers. Should have been the easiest hire in franchise history.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#74 » by monopoman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:23 am

Case2012 wrote:
GEE wrote:I just had a thought about Olshey. He held a great deal of Power in the Blazers organization, yes? Chris McGowen would have had a fairly equal amount or more (in theory) as Olshey, one would guess... So I'm wondering, with only a interim GM currently, How big of a Power Vacuum is there right now?

I think your characterizations of Dame are extremely off base. All these things coming out are being leaked by that callous little ****stick Olshey on the back end to make himself look better. It’s pathetic, but unsurprising behavior from our former GM.

Read on Twitter

Yep, there is this narrative developing that for some reason since Lillard doesn't vehemently defend himself against journalists claiming that he wants a trade that means he kinda does.

I don't think we should require Lillard to get on his soap box and tell reporters off every single time one claims "Dame want's a trade!"

I have a feeling he would be more upfront with the fanbase if he did indeed want a trade, this is a guy that has never been underhanded with how he works and seems to say what's on his mind with no filter. Now in a few years could his attitude change about wanting a trade? Sure, but acting like today the man wants out and is working any angle he can to do it seems really off to me.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#75 » by PDXKnight » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Is Dame going to morph into Lebron, which is to be the defacto GM?

That doesn’t work unless the team is winning or if a player is young enough to build a roster around. Dame is still a superstar but at 31 he will soon have a diminishing role in team decision making especially when his on the court impact begins to wane. Now if we were contenders he’d have a huge say but given our current circumstances he will have such authority increasingly less imo.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#76 » by PDXKnight » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:43 pm

monopoman wrote:
Case2012 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yep, there is this narrative developing that for some reason since Lillard doesn't vehemently defend himself against journalists claiming that he wants a trade that means he kinda does.

I don't think we should require Lillard to get on his soap box and tell reporters off every single time one claims "Dame want's a trade!"

I have a feeling he would be more upfront with the fanbase if he did indeed want a trade, this is a guy that has never been underhanded with how he works and seems to say what's on his mind with no filter. Now in a few years could his attitude change about wanting a trade? Sure, but acting like today the man wants out and is working any angle he can to do it seems really off to me.

I think Dame is loyal to a point but i think dragging him into a full rebuild would be a major test on that loyalty and i’m kinda of doubtful Dame would want to go through that. He might put up with it for awhile but i think eventually he’d want out if it’s looking like we aren’t even a playoff team let alone an elite team. And maybe in 2 years dealing dame would be a win-win but if we think that’s where it’s headed we’ve gotta deal him sooner rather than as his value diminishes
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#77 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:50 pm

Dame did get Melo over there didn't he?

Also didn't he want them to get Covington? That was kind of a big trade.

Also expressed wish to acquire Draymond Green and Simmons. That kind of implies he's fine with trading any other player on the team or some draft assets.

The sticking point is Phily only wants him in return, no other Blazers.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#78 » by DusterBuster » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:19 am

wco81 wrote:Dame did get Melo over there didn't he?

Also didn't he want them to get Covington? That was kind of a big trade.

Also expressed wish to acquire Draymond Green and Simmons. That kind of implies he's fine with trading any other player on the team or some draft assets.

The sticking point is Phily only wants him in return, no other Blazers.

Simmons isn’t coming to the Blazers. That deal is dead in the water once Philly made it clear they aren’t interested in CJ.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to Portland Trail Blazers