ImageImageImageImageImage

Patty Mills should remain the starter, home AND away

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect
And1: 407

Patty Mills should remain the starter, home AND away 

Post#1 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am

... with Judas coming off the bench for Harden and Mills.

I don't care if Judas was Steph Curry, I would NOT reward him by handing him the starting spot he hasn't earned.

I also would NOT take that starting spot away from Mills (Aka Lamar Mundane), who saved our backsides after Judas bailed on the team. Mills is the ONLY NET to have played in all 31 Games this season and he's been spectacular. NO WAY I'm taking his starting spot away and handing it to Judas. I don't care about talent levels.

Judas better learn how to humble himself, AND FAST, cause he's coming off the bench as our 6th man on the road, whether he likes it or not. At least that's the way it would go down if I had any pull. I don't reward QUITTERS at the expense of the ultimate TEAM GUY who has been nothing short of terrific (in place of Judas) all year.

I'm rolling with Patty Mills, Aka Lamar Mundane, till the last dog dies.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,844

Re: Patty Mills should remain the starter, home AND away 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:21 pm

I actually agree with this, not out of spite though. I like Harden/Mills/Bembry together, Mills and Bembry play good defense and Bembry is shooting those corner threes at a decent clip so far.

I'd keep the starting 5 Harden/Mills/Bembry/Durant/Claxton. That is a solid mix of offense and defense.

Bringing Kyrie, Harris, and LMA off the bench on the road gives us a set of nukes that no bench unit in the league can defend. Add in Brown, Blake and JJ for defense.

I think we are championship bound even if Kyrie doesn't play home games. Just need to stay healthy
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:34 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I actually agree with this, not out of spite though.

Same here. I admit I can't stomach the sight of Judas, but I would never hurt the team just to make a point or out of spite. However I am old school and I don't believe, in a coaching context, in rewarding quitters at the expense of the ultimate team players, unless the talent gap is such that it would hurt the team, but I think most people would admit it's highly unlikely we're the #1 Seed in the EC at this point if not for Patty Mills. If you want the #1 Seed, and I would hope last years Game 7 loss on the road will have ended that debate, there's NO WAY we can deny Patty Mills massive amounts of credit for putting us in this current spot, despite the quitter opting to quit.

That should have been a death blow for this team in terms of the #1 Seed, but Patty Mills saved our backsides. I'm not pulling him from the Starting 5 after what he's done for this team, ONLY NET whose played in all 31 Games and he's been a Godsend, and I'm sure as heck not pulling him for a guy who quit on this team.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Whiskey Slick » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:46 pm

One more thing ...

Based on Judas' track record, not only the stunt he pulled this year, but last years multiple disappearing acts as well, there's NO WAY anyone with an ounce of common sense can feel confident he's not gonna flake out on us again, and just not show-up for certain road games, not because of injury or coaches decision (rest), but he just doesn't feel like it or he has other more important things to do, like attending his cousins birthday party. :roll:

Yet another reason why there's no way I pull Mills for Judas, the ultimate team guy for the ultimate quitter.

I don't care if Judas has a better career track record and more talent. The TEAM GUY is no slouch either.

No way Judas should get to just stroll back in (for road games only) after 31+ Games, and instantly be handed back his starting spot at the expense of his replacement who has been terrific and reliable, in every sense.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:38 pm

Let's make the decision based on merit and accomplishment. Patty has been an immense, positive contributor to this team. Playing in all 31 games this season has more to do with COVID luck than anything, but he prepares himself for the big moments, and that speaks to his dedication and work ethic.

I think that a bench role for Irving (he hasn't suited up yet, but I'm convinced that he'll return soon so I'll use his gov't) serves the best interest of the group. Continuity and connectivity (Nash's buzzword) are important to this team, so Kyrie's part time availability is less upheaval from the 2nd unit. Unless and until he's a full participant, he and we will need to reconcile to this limitation.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:06 pm

Starting is irrelevant, its minutes that matter and you need to give Kyrie 36-40 a game (once he is ramped up). That allows us to reduce KD/Harden to 32 mpg on the road and not the 37-38 they are current having to play. I would also expect Harden/KD to get some days off for maintenance on the road, which makes the starting argument moot as Patty/Kyrie could both start.

Personally I'd start Kyrie. Patty has been a microwave 6th man his whole career who has frequently had his minutes fluctuate. it is less likely to disrupt him. Although as I said, it really doesnt matter. The real benefit of the big 3 isnt their play together its the ability to have 1-2 stars on the floor at all times. no all-bench units.

As far as the "Judas" stuff it was clear from all the comments from his teammates yesterday before the game that they don't view it the way Whiskey and some other fans do. They have been in communication with him, support him, and are thrilled to have him back. These guys are super tight... especially the young kids who Kyrie is supposedly super generous with (buying them suits, paying to put their families up on the road, getting them in the door with minor endorsements) and Bembry (st joes) and of course his BFF KD.

The coaches also seem to welcome him with open arms. Nash has always seemed to want him in the frey.

I'd expect Kyrie to be at 36+ minutes after a 2-3 game ramp up.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#7 » by gigantes » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:As far as the "Judas" stuff it was clear from all the comments from his teammates yesterday before the game that they don't view it the way Whiskey and some other fans do. They have been in communication with him, support him, and are thrilled to have him back. These guys are super tight... especially the young kids who Kyrie is supposedly super generous with (buying them suits, paying to put their families up on the road, getting them in the door with minor endorsements) and Bembry (st joes) and of course his BFF KD.

The coaches also seem to welcome him with open arms. Nash has always seemed to want him in the fray

Right on, and I hope OP can give up the "Judas" label over time.

Kyrie may be off the deep end with his conspiracy theories, but I don't believe he's trying to betray anyone, nor hurt his brethren. He's hurting himself just as much by not being able to practice his craft, and potentially being more injury-prone due to not being in full-on bball shape at this point.

Get it out of your system, Whiskey, because it's not going to help anyone in the long run.

When the playoffs roll around, and if Kyrie still hasn't gotten the vaccine, well... that'll be a whole different story if the Nets get knocked off.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:56 am

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:As far as the "Judas" stuff it was clear from all the comments from his teammates yesterday before the game that they don't view it the way Whiskey and some other fans do. They have been in communication with him, support him, and are thrilled to have him back. These guys are super tight... especially the young kids who Kyrie is supposedly super generous with (buying them suits, paying to put their families up on the road, getting them in the door with minor endorsements) and Bembry (st joes) and of course his BFF KD.

The coaches also seem to welcome him with open arms. Nash has always seemed to want him in the fray

Right on, and I hope OP can give up the "Judas" label over time.

Kyrie may be off the deep end with his conspiracy theories, but I don't believe he's trying to betray anyone, nor hurt his brethren. He's hurting himself just as much by not being able to practice his craft, and potentially being more injury-prone due to not being in full-on bball shape at this point.

Get it out of your system, Whiskey, because it's not going to help anyone in the long run.

When the playoffs roll around, and if Kyrie still hasn't gotten the vaccine, well... that'll be a whole different story if the Nets get knocked off.

:lol: @ Judas. That's pretty funny

Kyrie is an idiot, but calling him a traitor is a bit much.

Jay555
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#9 » by Jay555 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 am

No matter what, Kyrie is going to get the starting gig..No team would bring him off the bench..Yep, it's horrible what he pulled but let's be honest here. He ain't coming off the bench. Case closed.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:47 am

Jay555 wrote:No matter what, Kyrie is going to get the starting gig..No team would bring him off the bench..Yep, it's horrible what he pulled but let's be honest here. He ain't coming off the bench. Case closed.

He didn't "pull" anything. its not like he sat out of camp like NFL players do to leverage the team for a new contract.

he made a personal health decision.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,504

Post#11 » by HardenGoat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:09 am

Mills is the type of team player that is in it to win. He is like a saint and willing to sacrifice for the team. As long as the wins come and chemistry is built he wouldn’t give a care in the world being a starter or bench player.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#12 » by LOUiS-D » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 am

I'm with Prok, less concerned about who starts, more interested in lineups and matchups. Definitely think Harden/Clax and Kai/Aldridge are nice natural pairings.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:20 pm

Bradley Beal got vaccinated to get ahead of the mandate coming to DC.

Kyrie needs to come off it already man. Is he really about to risk not playing playoff games at home?

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#14 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Bradley Beal got vaccinated to get ahead of the mandate coming to DC.

Kyrie needs to come off it already man. Is he really about to risk not playing playoff games at home?

If he was covid positive last week, he's not eligible to take the vaccine for awhile.(unless that guideline was recently changed).

Thes best shot(pardon the pun) is the mandate changing to mirror how it is in Boston and LA, i.e. special exception for athletes and performers.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#15 » by Prokorov » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Bradley Beal got vaccinated to get ahead of the mandate coming to DC.

Alot of time for that to work itself out. We have 5 months of pandemic to become endemic and mandates to change. We have the plant based vaccine coming. between those i dont imagine anyway he sits out.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#16 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:07 pm

Judas :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I agree both with Whisky Slick and Prok.

1. The starting role is more symbolic than anything and in this case you can't give Judas the role after what he has pulled, especially since Patty has been the consummate professional in his place.

2. In practice who finishes games matters more than who starts games. Kyrie will be part of our best lineups but Id say let him finish games when he is playing well rather than make it a given that he will be part of the closing lineup.

In short I don't trust Kyrie. Make him the 6th man until at the very least he can play full time.
sashaturiaf
Veteran
And1: 2,826

Post#17 » by sashaturiaf » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:10 pm

HardenGoat wrote:Mills is the type of team player that is in it to win. He is like a saint and willing to sacrifice for the team. As long as the wins come and chemistry is built he wouldn’t give a care in the world being a starter or bench player.

The contrast between Patty and Judas can't be greater. Patty is also proud of his native roots and wears it on his sleeve, but it's not a source of distraction for him.

If you drop Patty's brain inside Kyries body you have a perennial 1st team all NBA guy.
Whiskey Slick
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:07 am

gigantes wrote:Right on, and I hope OP can give up the "Judas" label over time.

That's it, as of this moment I'm officially retiring that label.

Gotta practice Christian forgiveness and it's wrong to hold-on to this animosity, so as of this moment I officially welcome KYRIE back to the team and I hope he can help us win that chip. I also hope that by playoff time he does whatever is necessary to play in all of the games, home and away, even if that means taking the shots.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 am

sashaturiaf wrote:Judas :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. The starting role is more symbolic than anything and in this case you can't give Judas the role after what he has pulled, especially since Patty has been the consummate professional in his place.

2. In practice who finishes games matters more than who starts games. Kyrie will be part of our best lineups but Id say let him finish games when he is playing well rather than make it a given that he will be part of the closing lineup.

In short I don't trust Kyrie. Make him the 6th man until at the very least he can play full time.

What exactly did Kyrie "pull"

He chose not to get vaccinated. the city put restrictions on him. the nets put restrictions on him. the nba allowed to have his salary docked. he accepted all of these consequences without pushback. he sacraficed a ton to be true to his choices.

People make it sound like he held out for a new contract or just went on hiatus or went MIA for 30 games intentionally. Kyrie was/is willing to play all games he is eligible to play. his teammates fully support him. so do his coaches. this isnt some malicious, divisive act. its the result of a unprecedented pandemic situation.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#20 » by bubonicphoniks » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:36 am

Prokorov wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:Judas

What exactly did Kyrie "pull"

He chose not to get vaccinated. the city put restrictions on him. the nets put restrictions on him. the nba allowed to have his salary docked. he accepted all of these consequences without pushback. he sacraficed a ton to be true to his choices.

People make it sound like he held out for a new contract or just went on hiatus or went MIA for 30 games intentionally. Kyrie was/is willing to play all games he is eligible to play. his teammates fully support him. so do his coaches. this isnt some malicious, divisive act. its the result of a unprecedented pandemic situation.
Agree on some points but in all fairness he did sit out 30 whatever games intentionally last year.

You can only wear a crazy suit so long before people start to call you crazy in regular clothes.

Return to Brooklyn Nets