ImageImageImageImageImage

Aside from Chiozza, which rotation player doesn't deserve the minutes they get?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Aside from Chiozza, which rotation player has earned their minutes LEAST?

Jordan Poole
8%
Juan Toscano-Anderson
13%
Andre Iguodala
24%
Nemanja Bjelica
8%
Otto Porter Jr
No votes
Damion Lee
42%
Gary Payton II
No votes
Jonathan Kuminga
5%

Total votes: 38

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Aside from Chiozza, which rotation player doesn't deserve the minutes they get? 

Post#1 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:39 am

I think I have an unpopular opinion on this one, but I wonder what everyone else thinks.

I included some people who I expect to get 0 votes, but did so out of fairness. And I didnt include Looney, Curry, Wiggins or Draymond for obvious reasons.

Poole (30.7)
JTA (16.5)
Iguodala (20.2)
Bjelica (15.1)
OPJ (20.6)
Lee (20.8)
GP2 (15.5)
Kuminga (9.0)
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Re: Aside from Chiozza, which rotation player doesn't deserve the minutes they get? 

Post#2 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:48 am

I like all of those guys, but the rookie that just missed a bunch of free throws is an easy choice.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Re: Aside from Chiozza, which rotation player doesn't deserve the minutes they get? 

Post#3 » by cpower » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:51 am

Clearly JTA. To machine and bad three point shooter.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#4 » by eminence » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:52 am

I could see an argument for Poole, simply because he's the most unique, so he didn't really need to 'earn' his minutes past beating out Chiozza. If the team were more balanced I'd certainly prefer to see him closer to 20 mpg with the other guys than the 31 mpg he's getting now.
I bought a boat.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,391

Post#5 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:09 am

Here’s where I see everyone once they are back in terms of their pecking order for minutes. This is not how Kerr approaches it, to keep guys happy and engaged. Or to give them minutes so they can see what they need to work on and that they don’t deserve a higher spot yet.

Curry Poole Chiozza
Thompson gp2 Lee
Wiggins Iguodala jta moody
Green porter kuminga
Looney Bjelica Wiseman
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 308

Post#6 » by GswStorm3 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:18 am

Who voted for Kuminga? smh
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:25 am

I don't really have an issue with anyone. Each one has contributed at some point. Kuminga had a rough game. But something positive usually occurs when he's playing. Love to see him get more minutes.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:28 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I don't really have an issue with anyone. Each one has contributed at some point. Kuminga had a rough game. But something positive usually occurs when he's playing. Love to see more of him.

this

Rooks will have bad games, it's natural, he should get more minutes tbh
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:57 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I don't really have an issue with anyone. Each one has contributed at some point. Kuminga had a rough game. But something positive usually occurs when he's playing. Love to see him get more minutes.

Each one has contributed at some point, but from my POV, one player has barely contributed at all despite what a lot of metrics say. In fact, said player is quickly becoming the poster boy for a variance in player tracking vs. online metrics, and its a very interesting study. Because player tracking assigns blame for missed rotations and poor off-ball defense, regardless if it results in a basket.

If we were to go by regular metrics, Kuminga or Lee should be the choice
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:58 am

Sorry everyone, had to reset the poll, got PMd that I left someone's preferred option off the list. My fault there
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:08 am

FNQ wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:I don't really have an issue with anyone. Each one has contributed at some point. Kuminga had a rough game. But something positive usually occurs when he's playing. Love to see him get more minutes.

Each one has contributed at some point, but from my POV, one player has barely contributed at all despite what a lot of metrics say. In fact, said player is quickly becoming the poster boy for a variance in player tracking vs. online metrics, and its a very interesting study. Because player tracking assigns blame for missed rotations and poor off-ball defense, regardless if it results in a basket.

If we were to go by regular metrics, Kuminga or Lee should be the choice

I would pick Lee. He should be the odd man out.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#12 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:12 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I like all of those guys, but the rookie that just missed a bunch of free throws is an easy choice.

The rookie that missed a bunch of free throws still led the team with +8.

He could/should have done more, but others were worse than him.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#13 » by azwfan » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:33 am

Would be nice if how many minutes each gets is posted as well.

Right now my pick is Iguodala. I feel like we win this last game if we swap Iguodala and Kuminga's minutes. But really, Iguodala has been playing awful for some time (though he started off the season really well I think).

Lee has also been playing poorly but he's had many more good games than Iguodala.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,291

Post#15 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:27 am

Iggy, jta, and lee in that order. (Besides the obvious).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by FNQ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:44 am

azwfan wrote:Would be nice if how many minutes each gets is posted as well.

Right now my pick is Iguodala. I feel like we win this last game if we swap Iguodala and Kuminga's minutes. But really, Iguodala has been playing awful for some time (though he started off the season really well I think).

Lee has also been playing poorly but he's had many more good games than Iguodala.

I'll put that in the first post, I think if I edit the options in any way it resets the poll
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:01 am

Iggy: You can point to me On/Off or BPM stats all you want. He looks washed to me whenever he steps out on the court. I think Iggy should have a Haslem type role with this team. Be more the mentor and the in-between between players and coaches.

JTA: I honestly dont see the point in giving JTA minutes. His minutes should be going to Kuminga and Moody. I feel pretty confident if Kuminga was locked in for 18-20 minutes a game, by the end of the season he would be the more impactful player. I just dont see the benefit of JTA minutes. He isnt good enough to get big minutes when the playoffs come around. He isn't young (Otto Porter is younger than him). And if youre not comfortable giving Kuminga/Moody 16 more minutes a game, cool throw some more minutes Porter and Bjelica's way.

Lee: I assume when Klay gets back Lee will be out of the rotation. Basically everything I said about JTA can be said about Lee. He's not good enough to be part of the playoff rotation, he isnt young enough to give good minutes to with hope of major progression. You also have multiple rookie lotto picks that can use the minutes. Its one thing if Lee is hitting his 3s, but he hasnt even been hitting them at a solid rate this year.

Again if there were no legit options to fall back to I would get it. But with Klay coming back you got Klay/Porter/Bjelica/Kuminga/Moody. Plenty of young guys with potential that can use the minutes and vets that are much better than these 3 guys.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#18 » by TB » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:55 am

The answer to this thread is probably Iggy or JTA. But it also should be noted that they at least didn't screw things up during our start to the season (hi oubre). Reality is, Kuminga is starting to play winning basketball and should start to take their minutes. It's one of those scenarios where the writing is on the wall and nobody is at fault... Iggy is old yet valuable... JTA is a great bench player but can't be given a bigger role... and Kuminga is producing even while learning to play.

As for Moody. He has not done enough to be ahead of Lee. He can keep getting spot minutes to prove himself, but Lee has proven himself. I actually have really liked how Moody has played and would give him more minutes, but I am not going to blame Kerr for this one until he starts hitting some shots.

One minor difference I have with Duke above is that JTA/Lee both have my confidence in playoff minutes. I'm not saying they are starting or getting 20+ every game, but based on situation I don't think anyone should be worried if they enter the game as an option. Solid team players, ones I don't have a problem starting this season ahead of Kuminga/Moody... they earned it and are still good.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#19 » by ahmetmekin » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:03 am

Probably JTA and then Iggy.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#20 » by Onus » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:58 pm

It’s really hard to play wing players that can’t shoot and won’t shoot.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors