Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Game 35 vs Charlotte 7pm 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:25 pm

Lamb out tonight for a positive Covid test.

Weinar and Pierce won’t be on the bench tonight for Covid protocols either.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:29 am

Ugly early
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:42 am

Sykes made his debut late in the 1st and has already shown more ability to make an entry past to the post than anyone else on the roster.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:10 am

Less than 2 minutes remaining in the first half and LeVert just watched as the offensive rebound bounced into Plumlee's hands

Presumably disgusted with what he saw, someone in the audience shouted "Grab that rebound!" lol
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#7 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:29 am

It’s apparent after watching the first half that the Pacers stat wise didn’t play badly, but their lack of defense is huge reason for a 14 point deficit. Hornets shooting 60% from 2. :noway:
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:58 am

Just thinking how Jordan has finally got a well balanced team after years of struggling to get Charlotte relevant.

Announcers said 5 players who can get 15-16 points making it hard to cover. Kind of like what the Pacers are trying to do as a small market team devoid of a huge star or stars. Atlanta, Washington, and Cleveland also come to mind as teams trying to build around a few stars.

So still the NBA is so much about the huge stars rather than a team with 5-7 solid contributors. Evidence Charlotte is 7th and not even close to the top 4 teams currently in the East.
Brooklyn big 3
Chicago Derozan - LaVine- Vucev- Ball
Milwaukee Giannis -Jru -Middleton
Miami Butler - Adebayo- Lowry - Herro

So I’ll sit here and watch the Pacers never win anything relevant until they bring in huge stars (good luck) to build a winner rather than a collection of nice players like we have now.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:25 am

Pacers Forever wrote:Just thinking how Jordan has finally got a well balanced team after years of struggling to get Charlotte relevant.

Announcers said 5 players who can get 15-16 points making it hard to cover. Kind of like what the Pacers are trying to do as a small market team devoid of a huge star or stars. Atlanta, Washington, and Cleveland also come to mind as teams trying to build around a few stars.

So still the NBA is so much about the huge stars rather than a team with 5-7 solid contributors. Evidence Charlotte is 7th and not even close to the top 4 teams currently in the East.
Brooklyn big 3

So I’ll sit here and watch the Pacers never win anything relevant until they bring in huge stars (good luck) to build a winner rather than a collection of nice players like we have now.

Problem is, the fit is terrible among 3 of the 5 starters, Sabonis, Brogdon, and LeVert - none of them complement each other's strength or make up for each other's weakness

Sabonis wants to have high IQ players who move well off ball in order to cash in on his passing, but neither Brogdon or LeVert are doing that

Brogdon and LeVert both want the ball in their hands, and neither of them are able to defend quick guards
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#10 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:15 am

Topofthekey wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:Just thinking how Jordan has finally got a well balanced team after years of struggling to get Charlotte relevant.

Brooklyn big 3

Problem is, the fit is terrible among 3 of the 5 starters, Sabonis, Brogdon, and LeVert - none of them complement each other's strength or make up for each other's weakness

Sabonis wants to have high IQ players who move well off ball in order to cash in on his passing, but neither Brogdon or LeVert are doing that

Brogdon and LeVert both want the ball in their hands, and neither of them are able to defend quick guards

Carlisle and Pritchard wanted to run it back to see what they had. Unfortunately team chemistry plus injuries(Warren Sumner McConnell) have derailed their dreams of an easy entry into the playoffs.
They better be active at the deadline trying to better team chemistry without sacrificing roster value in trades. Only way I would sacrifice roster value would be for a first round pick in a trade or betting on a young player who’s ready to break out.

I’m convinced that they’re going to have to steal young talent or first round draft picks to develop stats because I just don’t see a superstar wanting to come here as a FA.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#11 » by Vorda » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Again Sabonis terrible play... 6 TO, bad shooting, horrible ballhandling... only 4 points in the paint... he just doesnt work in this team anymore..
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Topofthekey » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:30 pm

Vorda wrote:Again Sabonis terrible play... 6 TO, bad shooting, horrible ballhandling... only 4 points in the paint... he just doesnt work in this team anymore..

He was a lot better last season when the team had McDermott

There is a serious mismatch between the top 3 (?) most talented players on the team in Sabonis, Brogdon, and LeVert

None of them should be playing on the same team as the other two
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#14 » by Tom White » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:49 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote: ....snipped for brevity....

Smart players don't do this sort of thing. On the other hand, neither do well coached teams.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#15 » by 8305 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:10 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Didn’t watch the game but noticed that Levert took 23 shots. That’s more shots than Sabonis and Turner combined. Another night where both bigs are likely frustrated. We were lit up by Rozier and Ball. Guys Levert would have been checking.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#16 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:32 am

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Didn’t watch the game but noticed that Levert took 23 shots. That’s more shots than Sabonis and Turner combined. Another night where both bigs are likely frustrated. We were lit up by Rozier and Ball. Guys Levert would have been checking.

Indeed. 8-23 shooting for LeVert and when you play hero ball/selfish and aren’t a top stud it

1 usually doesn’t get the team involved
2 makes it easier for the defense to know who to defend
3 most likely a loss

Studs like Lebron, Durant, Mitchell, Embid, Harden, Giannis, and so on can play hero ball and
1 still involve teammates
2 hit shots repeatedly
3 secure a win in most cases
That’s their MO

LeVert has a shooter’s mentality but not the star power, 3 point accuracy, or play making skills that studs have. For that fact I find it easy to say that the Pacers don’t have a reliable stud. Just a bunch of good pro players. Thus the downfall with no team leader, no team chemistry, no direction and so forth.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,911

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:18 am

8305 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't care how many points Levert scores he's a chucker and inefficient player. Addition by subtraction team would have been better off to void that deal last year and kept Oladipo and let him expire.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Post#18 » by 8305 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:31 am

I get what the Pacers were trying to do with Levert. Take a guy who was under valued or under utilized. I’m thinking Oladipo, Bogdonavich, Warren. I’d say we were successful expanding these guys roles and making the Pacer team better. I can understand how the organization would have seen the potential with Levert. Big difference being fit with the successful guys. There were a number of us who saw potential problems with Levert in his game and fit last year. What we are seeing now is what happens when those misreads play themselves out.

I see the addition by subtraction arguement. Problem we have zero NBA talent to slide in at the point right now. Bad breaks coupled with the ongoing poor team construction. I don’t think this is salvageable without significant roster shakeup. Right now it looks to me like everyone’s time is being wasted.

Return to Indiana Pacers